Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Upgrading Peugeot U018 Shift Levers

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Upgrading Peugeot U018 Shift Levers

Old 10-21-20, 05:40 AM
  #1  
kross57
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: north NJ
Posts: 691

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 76 Posts
Upgrading Peugeot U018 Shift Levers

I have been upgrading my wife's U018. So far I replaced the steel rims, stem and handlebars. This winter I am looking at replacing the shifting system, both the levers and derailleurs. I assume the first step is getting rid of the drive side boss on the downtube. Anyone done this? Hacksaw?? Suggestions appreciated.

kross57 is offline  
Old 10-21-20, 05:45 AM
  #2  
markk900
Senior Member
 
markk900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,075
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 77 Posts
Why not leave the boss there and either put a bell or a decorative cover on it, or just leave it plain? The bike is in nice shape and a jagged rough spot with paint that doesn't quite match will surely look worse than leaving the boss.
markk900 is offline  
Old 10-21-20, 05:56 AM
  #3  
gesta
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Finland
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kross57 View Post
I have been upgrading my wife's U018. So far I replaced the steel rims, stem and handlebars. This winter I am looking at replacing the shifting system, both the levers and derailleurs. I assume the first step is getting rid of the drive side boss on the downtube. Anyone done this? Hacksaw?? Suggestions appreciated.
If you think brifters (brake levers with integrated shift levers) you don't want to get rid of those downtube shifter tabs. They are useful and built-to-purpose places to hang your cable stops (with barrel adjusters). This way there's no need to do full length cable outers, just from handlebars to those stops.
gesta is offline  
Old 10-21-20, 05:57 AM
  #4  
kross57
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: north NJ
Posts: 691

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by gesta View Post
If you think brifters (brake levers with integrated shift levers) you don't want to get rid of those downtube shifter tabs. They are useful and built-to-purpose places to hang your cable stops (with barrel adjusters). This way there's no need to do full length cable outers, just from handlebars to those stops.
I appreciate the idea, but I'll be sticking with downtube levers.
kross57 is offline  
Old 10-21-20, 06:00 AM
  #5  
kross57
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: north NJ
Posts: 691

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by markk900 View Post
Why not leave the boss there and either put a bell or a decorative cover on it, or just leave it plain? The bike is in nice shape and a jagged rough spot with paint that doesn't quite match will surely look worse than leaving the boss.
Worth considering. But I'm sure I can do better than a jagged rough spot. Also, won't the new clamp-on.shift levers cover that?
kross57 is offline  
Old 10-21-20, 06:36 AM
  #6  
gesta
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Finland
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 3 Posts
Curiosity got me - you are sticking to downtube levers and simultaneously considering getting rid of downtube boss(es) for said levers? What exactly do you mean with new clamp-on shift levers? Stem mounted levers?
gesta is offline  
Old 10-21-20, 06:48 AM
  #7  
kross57
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: north NJ
Posts: 691

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by gesta View Post
Curiosity got me - you are sticking to downtube levers and simultaneously considering getting rid of downtube boss(es) for said levers? What exactly do you mean with new clamp-on shift levers? Stem mounted levers?
The Peugeot has a unique system where there is a boss only on the drive side. This is set up to work with their Prestige plastic levers which are flimsy and prone to breakage. I plan to use a pair of clamp-on levers on the downtube. But the drive side boss will be removed first. You could leave it there but it isn't my preference.
kross57 is offline  
Likes For kross57:
Old 10-21-20, 07:05 AM
  #8  
ollo_ollo
Senior Member
 
ollo_ollo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Near Sublimity Orygun
Posts: 4,931

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 50 Posts
Many vintage frames had a stop brazed on their down tube to prevent lever clamp movement downwards.. But, it's your bike, and not rare at all, so your choice. Don
ollo_ollo is offline  
Old 10-21-20, 07:23 AM
  #9  
markk900
Senior Member
 
markk900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,075
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by kross57 View Post
The Peugeot has a unique system where there is a boss only on the drive side. This is set up to work with their Prestige plastic levers which are flimsy and prone to breakage. I plan to use a pair of clamp-on levers on the downtube. But the drive side boss will be removed first. You could leave it there but it isn't my preference.
I have successfully mounted both cable bosses and alternative shift levers to the original Simplex clamp on band, so since you are retaining downtube shifters why not go route of least destruction and try to find replacement levers first. There are a variety of Simplex all alloy levers available (edit: look for Simplex Criterium levers - I found a bunch for a reasonable price just now - guaranteed to fit as I have a set in my parts pile).



Last edited by markk900; 10-21-20 at 07:45 AM.
markk900 is offline  
Old 10-21-20, 07:46 AM
  #10  
kross57
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: north NJ
Posts: 691

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by markk900 View Post
I have successfully mounted both cable bosses and alternative shift levers to the original Simplex clamp on band, so since you are retaining downtube shifters why not go route of least destruction and try to find replacement levers first. There are a variety of Simplex all alloy levers available.

That was my first choice. But finding a set proved extremely difficult. You inspired me to look again, and I found these Huret levers. They seem to be the right configuration. What do you think?





kross57 is offline  
Old 10-21-20, 07:50 AM
  #11  
markk900
Senior Member
 
markk900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,075
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 77 Posts
Those look great and appear to be designed to fit that square boss.....hopefully not to expensive!

Here are a couple of Simplex alternatives:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203110950475

https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-sim...t/353225574923

Good luck!
markk900 is offline  
Likes For markk900:
Old 10-21-20, 08:17 AM
  #12  
gesta
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Finland
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kross57 View Post
The Peugeot has a unique system where there is a boss only on the drive side. This is set up to work with their Prestige plastic levers which are flimsy and prone to breakage. I plan to use a pair of clamp-on levers on the downtube. But the drive side boss will be removed first. You could leave it there but it isn't my preference.
Ah, now I got it. I got thrown off by your bike still having both derailleurs, figured the part you are describing was already there. That clamp on Huret lever you linked looks the same as Simplex manufactured variant. I guess you are already aware of different downtube boss shapes? Huret (and that plastic Simplex lever on that bike) are attached to completely round bosses, while more recent shifters use two flat sections in the downtube boss to keep bolt from rotating.
gesta is offline  
Old 10-21-20, 11:27 AM
  #13  
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race
 
dddd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 7,925

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pederson racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 339 Posts
In defense of the original plastic levers, though less stiff and less durable than alloy levers these don't flex noticeably when 1) the cabling is in good order with no metal-to-metal along the cable's path and 2) one doesn't push the lever hard beyond the lo-limit of the derailer's travel. The latter is helped by the former and my bikes are really quite fine with plastic levers (wish I could say the same about the plastic FD's).

The downside of the Simplex levers is that I have occasionally pinched or poked a fingertip on the metal projections toward the front of the pivot assembly. Not fun when that happens.
dddd is offline  
Old 10-21-20, 12:54 PM
  #14  
Gillparis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Paris
Posts: 74

Bikes: Old Simon bike that I just bought on a whim.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I am not at all an expert but last week I tried to replace the Simplex lever you see below with a single version of the Huret levers you have above and it didn't fit. The squares were different sizes. But mine is a different lever to yours so..... I just wanted to say.

Shifter missing the d-ring
Gillparis is offline  
Old 10-22-20, 03:42 AM
  #15  
kross57
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: north NJ
Posts: 691

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 76 Posts
I appreciate all the advice and suggestions. I will let you know how this plays out.
kross57 is offline  
Old 11-21-20, 09:26 AM
  #16  
kross57
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: north NJ
Posts: 691

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 76 Posts
Well, the Huret levers worked out fine. While I was at it, I replaced the Delrin derailleurs with Shimano/Suntour. Functions perfectly, and rides well.

kross57 is offline  
Likes For kross57:
Old 11-21-20, 11:26 AM
  #17  
markk900
Senior Member
 
markk900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,075
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 77 Posts
Looks amazing! Glad the Huret levers worked out - also with Suntour the Huret works better than the simplex - I understand the barrel the cable wraps around is larger diameter - with Simplex and SunTour (especially if you go to 6 or more cogs on the back) the lever comes quite far around in low gear - works fine just looks wrong!

I spy a Comp-V on the front - that was the first mod I made to my AO-8 back in 1972 or so - replaced the rear with a Shimano Crane (1st gen) and the front with a Comp-V. I now run an SL on the front of that same AO-8.
markk900 is offline  
Likes For markk900:
Old 11-21-20, 11:35 AM
  #18  
kross57
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: north NJ
Posts: 691

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by markk900 View Post
Looks amazing! Glad the Huret levers worked out - also with Suntour the Huret works better than the simplex - I understand the barrel the cable wraps around is larger diameter - with Simplex and SunTour (especially if you go to 6 or more cogs on the back) the lever comes quite far around in low gear - works fine just looks wrong!

I spy a Comp-V on the front - that was the first mod I made to my AO-8 back in 1972 or so - replaced the rear with a Shimano Crane (1st gen) and the front with a Comp-V. I now run an SL on the front of that same AO-8.
Thanks! Yes, Comp-V in the front, Shimano light action in the rear. I had the problem with excessive lever travel on my wife's Motobecane when I switched to a 6-cog freewheel in the rear. I traded the levers over to Shimano and it was better. With this bike I stayed with a 5-cog freewheel.
kross57 is offline  
Old 11-21-20, 04:30 PM
  #19  
John E
feros ferio
 
John E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
Posts: 20,303

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 246 Posts
I chiseled off the drive side Simplex boss and covered the scar with a double SunTour cable stop for stem shifters while it was my wife's bike, then barcons and drop bars when it became mine. (She got intimidated by traffic and switched to trails after I let her borrow my mountain bike.)
__________________
"Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." --Theodore Roosevelt
Capo: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger (2), S/N 42624, 42597
Carlton: 1962 Franco Suisse, S/N K7911
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline  
Likes For John E:
Old 11-22-20, 04:24 AM
  #20  
kross57
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: north NJ
Posts: 691

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 76 Posts
The only thing I wish it had at this point are barrel adjusters for the brakes. I can get them properly set through cable adjusting, but it takes time. Someday!
kross57 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.