Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/)
-   -   Old Moulton bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/1224272-old-moulton-bike.html)

tudorowen1 02-22-21 11:08 AM

Old Moulton bike
 
How tall do you need to be to ride an old F frame Moulton bike..?

repechage 02-22-21 01:03 PM

There are actually a number of Moulton frames. There are some specific Moulton discussion groups and forums.
I identify what you have by referencing those sites and the info you want should filter out.
"standover" height should be easy, it is a matter of seat tube length or seatpost length.

bOsscO 02-22-21 01:07 PM

Depending how old a bike yer talkin' here, I'd wager one would need to be at least 16 hands tall to ride a Moulton F frame.

oneclick 02-22-21 02:34 PM


Originally Posted by repechage (Post 21936068)
There are actually a number of Moulton frames. There are some specific Moulton discussion groups and forums.
I identify what you have by referencing those sites and the info you want should filter out.
"standover" height should be easy, it is a matter of seat tube length or seatpost length.

There are really only two F-frame Moultons if you are just considering frame size, the Series1/2 versions (bigger) and the Mini. They both take a long seatpost so you'd have to be shorter than about 5foot4 to feel stretched on the big one (the mini is 7/8 size). I'm a bit taller and prefer the Mini, but that's because of weight and portability (and it's been more modified with better equipment); the standard F-frame has a more comfortable ride.

gilesa 02-22-21 03:33 PM

Three sizes IIRC: standard, midi, mini. Also a Triang-branded child's version. Midi was the 7/8th size with 14" wheels. Mini was smaller and lacked front suspension. The 5' 4" lower limit sounds about right to me. The stem and seat post have a lot of adjustment, but the reach might start to become excessive.

oneclick 02-22-21 05:12 PM


Originally Posted by gilesa (Post 21936367)
Three sizes IIRC: standard, midi, mini. Also a Triang-branded child's version. Midi was the 7/8th size with 14" wheels. Mini was smaller and lacked front suspension. The 5' 4" lower limit sounds about right to me. The stem and seat post have a lot of adjustment, but the reach might start to become excessive.

Moulton net wisdom says only two sizes, Mini was 7/8 with 14inch wheels - I know, still have (somewhere) the steel pair I took off my Mini - and it has front suspension:


https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...29538f3323.jpg

clubman 02-22-21 06:36 PM

Moulton Midi, no front suspension and a Raleigh product. Pretty rare I think.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4938cca471.jpg

oneclick 02-22-21 06:51 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 21936700)
Moulton Midi, no front suspension and a Raleigh product. Pretty rare I think.

Rarity increased due to them breaking at the front main frame joint - a consequence of the lack of suspension.

rhenning 02-22-21 06:58 PM

This is my 1965 Huffy sold 4 Speed Moulton that I ride and I am a bit under 6 feet tall. Roger

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...18bc60593.jpeg

clubman 02-22-21 07:13 PM


Originally Posted by oneclick (Post 21936722)
Rarity increased due to them breaking at the front main frame joint - a consequence of the lack of suspension.

Raleigh was starting to lose it around that time I figure.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:03 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.