Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1st ride on my finished winter project

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1st ride on my finished winter project

Old 03-11-21, 10:56 PM
  #1  
jingy2
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Minneapplepuss
Posts: 56

Bikes: 1996 Rivendell All-Rounder, 2000 Chris Kvale, 1989 Eddy Merckx 7-11 Corsa Extra, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr, Rivendell Roadini, 86 Mercian Vincitore, 85 Vitus 979, 89 Vitus Carbone 9, 83 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 79 Motobecane Grand Touring,2022 Corvus Rhino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 20 Posts
1st ride on my finished winter project

I got the last piece needed for my winter project on Saturday so Sunday it was ready for it's inaugural ride.
It's a 1985 Vitus 979.
Back in the 80's all you heard was how whippy and noodley these bikes were, so I decided to subject a 60cm frame to my 210# and find out.
28mm tires fit, but I was concerned about chainstay rub so I installed 26mm just in case.
Guess what, it's not a noodle! Granted, I'm not doing any bunch sprints and I'm not really a masher, but I didn't experience any ghost shifts or front der rub. I didn't push any corners hard, because they are still pretty sandy here.
I really like the way this bike rode. It was a windy day, so I got to do some 53x16 spinning with the tailwind. I'm looking forward to more miles on this iconic 80's bike.
Jim in Mpls


The Dura Ace shifters didn't work with the shifter bosses on this frame, but luckily I had these for a plan b

I still think this is one of the best looking cranks ever!


I dug up my old Avocet for the finishing touch
jingy2 is offline  
Old 03-11-21, 11:02 PM
  #2  
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race
 
dddd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 8,623

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 609 Posts
That blue color really pops, and the bright cranks match the lugs.

Cool that there is room for gravel tires!
dddd is offline  
Likes For dddd:
Old 03-12-21, 06:01 AM
  #3  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 19,635

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5542 Post(s)
Liked 2,508 Times in 1,612 Posts
Cool bike and you have a functioning Avocet bike computer. How cool is that?
bikemig is offline  
Old 03-12-21, 06:31 AM
  #4  
Innova
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks good!!
Innova is offline  
Old 03-12-21, 06:42 AM
  #5  
Sir_Name 
Senior Member
 
Sir_Name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,441

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 259 Posts
Looks gorgeous, first rides are always a treat. Enjoy!
Sir_Name is offline  
Old 03-12-21, 07:55 AM
  #6  
OTS 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bloomington/Normal IL
Posts: 1,050
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 104 Posts
That's a beauty for sure! Congrats
OTS is offline  
Old 03-12-21, 08:07 AM
  #7  
randyjawa 
Senior Member
 
randyjawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada - burrrrr!
Posts: 11,376

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,433 Times in 802 Posts
Beautiful bike and well done! However...

Unless that steering stem has a long reach into the steering tube, you are risking damaging one of the weakest parts of the Vitus - the head tube lugs. They are prone to cracking and if the steering stem is not inserted enough, into the steering tube, then the leverage is great, dramatically increasing the chances of doing serious damage to the frame. Is such damage occurs, while riding, one might do some serious damage to the rider, should he or she loose control of the bike.

By the way, I loved the ride qualities of both my Vitus and my ALAN. Sadly, for fat old me, the frames were a bit too flexible to accept my weight and strength.
__________________
"98% of the bikes I buy are projects".
randyjawa is offline  
Old 03-12-21, 10:56 AM
  #8  
gaucho777 
Senior Member
 
gaucho777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 7,240

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 431 Posts
^Looks like one of the long Nitto Technomic stems, so presuming it's okay.

My first race bike was a Vitus 979, in sky blue. I still have a soft place in my heart for those frames. Your build looks great. As I recall, the lugs on mine were anodized, thus not able to be polished like yours. It was a long time ago, so I may be mis-remembering. (I never bothered polishing anything back then. As long as adjusted properly, I was good to go.) Did you have to strip the lugs, or did some of these come polished like that?

I appreciate the French-themed zip ties.
gaucho777 is offline  
Likes For gaucho777:
Old 03-12-21, 11:16 AM
  #9  
jingy2
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Minneapplepuss
Posts: 56

Bikes: 1996 Rivendell All-Rounder, 2000 Chris Kvale, 1989 Eddy Merckx 7-11 Corsa Extra, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr, Rivendell Roadini, 86 Mercian Vincitore, 85 Vitus 979, 89 Vitus Carbone 9, 83 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 79 Motobecane Grand Touring,2022 Corvus Rhino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777 View Post
^Looks like one of the long Nitto Technomic stems, so presuming it's okay.

My first race bike was a Vitus 979, in sky blue. I still have a soft place in my heart for those frames. Your build looks great. As I recall, the lugs on mine were anodized, thus not able to be polished like yours. It was a long time ago, so I may be mis-remembering. (I never bothered polishing anything back then. As long as adjusted properly, I was good to go.) Did you have to strip the lugs, or did some of these come polished like that?

I appreciate the French-themed zip ties.
Thanks gaucho, you are correct that is a technomic stem. I have lowered it a bit since that photo.
I polished the lugs with aluminum polish. They shined up right nice!
And thanks for noticing the zip ties-I was pretty pleased with myself when I came up with that!

Jim
jingy2 is offline  
Old 03-12-21, 11:07 PM
  #10  
AeroIronBiker
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Beautiful build
AeroIronBiker is offline  
Likes For AeroIronBiker:
Old 03-13-21, 11:40 AM
  #11  
joluja 
.
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 59

Bikes: Merckx Corsa Extra, Ciocc Mockba, Zeus Victoria, Serotta CDA, Willier Cento 1SR, Pinarello FP Quattro, Teledyne Titan, Chesini Arena Precision 83, Denti Master, De Rosa 35th Anniversario, 3Rensho Super Record, Koga Miyata Full Pro, Klein Rascal

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 27 Posts
Very cool Vitus!

Very cool Vitus!
joluja is offline  
Old 03-14-21, 08:45 PM
  #12  
Chombi1 
Senior Member
 
Chombi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,076
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1464 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 593 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa View Post
Beautiful bike and well done! However...

Unless that steering stem has a long reach into the steering tube, you are risking damaging one of the weakest parts of the Vitus - the head tube lugs. They are prone to cracking and if the steering stem is not inserted enough, into the steering tube, then the leverage is great, dramatically increasing the chances of doing serious damage to the frame. Is such damage occurs, while riding, one might do some serious damage to the rider, should he or she loose control of the bike.

By the way, I loved the ride qualities of both my Vitus and my ALAN. Sadly, for fat old me, the frames were a bit too flexible to accept my weight and strength.
I think you might have been meaning to refer to ALAN's head tube lug cracking problems? I don't think Vitus had head lug cracking problems, because they had that hefly, one piece aluminum headstock design that got rid of having to use lugs at that high stress area.
I've seen lots of ALAN'S with cracked head lugs, but never really seen a Vitus 979, 992, 787 or Carbone with a cracked aluminum headstock.....

Last edited by Chombi1; 03-14-21 at 08:49 PM.
Chombi1 is offline  
Old 03-15-21, 12:51 AM
  #13  
randyjawa 
Senior Member
 
randyjawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada - burrrrr!
Posts: 11,376

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,433 Times in 802 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1 View Post
I think you might have been meaning to refer to ALAN's head tube lug cracking problems? I don't think Vitus had head lug cracking problems, because they had that hefly, one piece aluminum headstock design that got rid of having to use lugs at that high stress area.
I've seen lots of ALAN'S with cracked head lugs, but never really seen a Vitus 979, 992, 787 or Carbone with a cracked aluminum headstock.....
You are correct. It was the ALAN that had this issue to be aware of. Lucky for me, my ALAN was in good shape and what a lovely bike...
__________________
"98% of the bikes I buy are projects".
randyjawa is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.