Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Racing frame with fenders and flat bar. Pictures / examples?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Racing frame with fenders and flat bar. Pictures / examples?

Old 11-03-21, 03:37 AM
  #1  
karldub
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Racing frame with fenders and flat bar. Pictures / examples?

Hi,

I'm desperately missing fenders in my often rainy but short daily commute. I have only one good vintage racing frame (531) which will take fenders. That frame itself is a tad too long for me which would make a bad bike fit with drop bars so I'm thinking of going with flat bars, also because it would be fun to try out since I don't have any flat bar bike.

Now I'm hoping the looks of this bike won't turn out too close to the standard mass-produced city bikes that are out there, but I have a hard time finding pictures of examples.

Do you have any pictures to share of examples, yours of just random? Please post!
karldub is offline  
Likes For karldub:
Old 11-03-21, 03:45 AM
  #2  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 4,142

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, Falcon and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 540 Posts

73 Raleigh competition.
52telecaster is offline  
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 11-03-21, 06:27 AM
  #3  
clubman 
Youngman Grand
 
clubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,069

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 859 Posts
clubman is offline  
Likes For clubman:
Old 11-03-21, 12:28 PM
  #4  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 9,818

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3046 Post(s)
Liked 2,615 Times in 1,707 Posts
Originally Posted by karldub View Post
Hi,

I'm desperately missing fenders in my often rainy but short daily commute. I have only one good vintage racing frame (531) which will take fenders. That frame itself is a tad too long for me which would make a bad bike fit with drop bars so I'm thinking of going with flat bars, also because it would be fun to try out since I don't have any flat bar bike.

Now I'm hoping the looks of this bike won't turn out too close to the standard mass-produced city bikes that are out there, but I have a hard time finding pictures of examples.

Do you have any pictures to share of examples, yours of just random? Please post!
One of the things that can help is "reach around brackets" they can add a lot of needed clearance.

Full disclosure, I have a set that I bought for reference, haven't installed them on any yet as I had a rain bike that took fenders ok without.

I do plan to build a dedicated C+V rain bike where they will likely be used to facilitate the largest tires that will fit.

They're not too complicated and could be fabbed up from scratch so....
merziac is offline  
Likes For merziac:
Old 11-03-21, 12:40 PM
  #5  
noobinsf 
Senior Member
 
noobinsf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 2,934

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 861 Times in 540 Posts
I no longer have this bike, but it was a fun and fast commuter:



noobinsf is offline  
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 11-03-21, 03:21 PM
  #6  
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 10,140

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1862 Post(s)
Liked 2,472 Times in 1,105 Posts
I've tried that format a long time ago, because I thought it would be both practical and cool.

I quickly discovered that, while practical and cool, the flat bars don't work on rides over 10k, and switched to drop bars. With a short stem if necessary. Other than that, it still works for me.

A recent build in this category, a Jonkers Super. Even in this size it's barely over 22 lbs:



Short-stem-on-a-large-bike example. Not a racing frame, but you get the idea:

__________________
Woo hoo!









non-fixie is offline  
Likes For non-fixie:
Old 11-03-21, 03:29 PM
  #7  
squirtdad
Senior Member
 
squirtdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Jose (Willow Glen) Ca
Posts: 8,321

Bikes: 85 team Miyata (modern 5800 105) , '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 760 Posts
race blades are an option, work pretty well, but not as well as full fenders https://www.rei.com/product/102251/s...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

here is bike with flat ish bars (I need some degree of angle for the wrists) that may get fenders soon

squirtdad is offline  
Likes For squirtdad:
Old 11-04-21, 01:08 PM
  #8  
Roger M 
Senior Member
 
Roger M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Snohomish, WA.
Posts: 2,713
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 422 Posts
Kinda flat bar(Mustache)..

Roger M is offline  
Likes For Roger M:
Old 11-04-21, 03:03 PM
  #9  
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 10,140

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1862 Post(s)
Liked 2,472 Times in 1,105 Posts
Originally Posted by karldub View Post
(...) my often rainy but short daily commute. (...)
It is a good question, and I have done a little more thinking about this. How short is short?

If just a few miles, a fairly upright machine, with just a few extra speeds to deal with wind and the occasional hill or bridge would be a good choice. Something in the vein of the bike 52telecaster posted. And when many traffic lights are to be dealt with, flat pedals with no clips and straps are a good idea. Stay away from bikes with high bottom brackets, like mountain bikes and hybrids. They are a nuisance in urban stop-start traffic.

My own commute is about 25 mls (one way), for which I mostly use a car. Because of the stuff I tend to carry, as well as the time it takes on a bike. I have done it by bike, mostly when business was slow and I wanted to test a new build.

However, if I had to do it regularly, the Jonkers posted above would definitely be my weapon of choice on that distance.
__________________
Woo hoo!









non-fixie is offline  
Likes For non-fixie:
Old 11-04-21, 03:19 PM
  #10  
BFisher 
Senior Member
 
BFisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,140
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 748 Posts
I was in a similar position, but with a frame that is on the small side seat tube wise. I had this old fillet brazed Schwinn here that was a total mess. Admittedly not a race frame. While the seat tube is short, the top tube is about 57cm. I decided that a low geared, wide range upright bike would work well for errands and commutes in my hilly area, and I had most of the parts here to put it together. Still waiting on a housing stop to finish it up.


BFisher is offline  
Likes For BFisher:
Old 11-04-21, 03:30 PM
  #11  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 4,142

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, Falcon and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie View Post
It is a good question, and I have done a little more thinking about this. How short is short?

If just a few miles, a fairly upright machine, with just a few extra speeds to deal with wind and the occasional hill or bridge would be a good choice. Something in the vein of the bike 52telecaster posted. And when many traffic lights are to be dealt with, flat pedals with no clips and straps are a good idea. Stay away from bikes with high bottom brackets, like mountain bikes and hybrids. They are a nuisance in urban stop-start traffic.

My own commute is about 25 mls (one way), for which I mostly use a car. Because of the stuff I tend to carry, as well as the time it takes on a bike. I have done it by bike, mostly when business was slow and I wanted to test a new build.

However, if I had to do it regularly, the Jonkers posted above would definitely be my weapon of choice on that distance.
I actually will do short tours on a bike like that, mostly due to an arthritic neck.
52telecaster is offline  
Old 11-04-21, 04:19 PM
  #12  
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 10,140

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1862 Post(s)
Liked 2,472 Times in 1,105 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster View Post
I actually will do short tours on a bike like that, mostly due to an arthritic neck.
I can see how that would quickly outweigh other, minor, comfort issues.

I am not that flexible anymore myself, hence my preference for a French fit. But on longer rides I find I also really need the different hand position options to keep my shoulders, neck and hands from going sore. And living in a country where fierce headwinds are all too common, I have even learnt to appreciate the effect of riding in the drops.

YMMV, of course.
__________________
Woo hoo!









non-fixie is offline  
Likes For non-fixie:
Old 11-04-21, 04:50 PM
  #13  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 4,142

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, Falcon and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie View Post
I can see how that would quickly outweigh other, minor, comfort issues.

I am not that flexible anymore myself, hence my preference for a French fit. But on longer rides I find I also really need the different hand position options to keep my shoulders, neck and hands from going sore. And living in a country where fierce headwinds are all too common, I have even learnt to appreciate the effect of riding in the drops.

YMMV, of course.
I feel your pain on both counts. 8 mph in a headwind really sucks. The hand positions is easy though. Many places to grab on.
52telecaster is offline  
Old 11-04-21, 11:54 PM
  #14  
daka
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 284

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course x2, Raleigh International

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
I usually have one of my bikes set up with flat bars. Echoing @non-fixie, bikes with flat bars feel great when you first hop on, but after a short time the inability to vary hand positions becomes uncomfortable. I also miss the drops when on a speedy descent. For city use I find the more upright position offers better vision and quicker access to the brake levers. If I'm going on a longer ride in a nicer landscape, I take something else.


daka is offline  
Likes For daka:
Old 11-05-21, 10:16 AM
  #15  
karldub
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger M View Post
Kinda flat bar(Mustache)..

Really liking the slim fenders on this one! What are those, and are they still in production?

Cheers,
Karl
karldub is offline  
Likes For karldub:
Old 11-05-21, 10:23 AM
  #16  
karldub
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Great input. What are your thoughts on stem reach and height in comparison to drop bars? I see some of you going for higher stems (@Bfisher, 52telecaster.)

There are of course many factors to take into account here, such as top tube length, the reach/compactness of the drop handlebars in comparison, and much more. Let's say your top tube is the same length as for your drop bar bike, what is your preferred stem length/heigh with flat bars in comparison?
karldub is offline  
Likes For karldub:
Old 11-05-21, 10:29 AM
  #17  
Roger M 
Senior Member
 
Roger M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Snohomish, WA.
Posts: 2,713
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by karldub View Post
Really liking the slim fenders on this one! What are those, and are they still in production?

Cheers,
Karl
Thanks. They're Honjo fenders and I believe the model is H35. They will fit up to a 700x25 tire(23 in that photo).
Roger M is offline  
Old 11-05-21, 10:45 AM
  #18  
BFisher 
Senior Member
 
BFisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,140
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 748 Posts
My stem choice came down to me wanting a more upright posture than I have on my drop bar bikes. The bike I posted has a top tube length that is the same as some of my drop bar bikes. One step I took was to mock up the flat bars with a stem reach length that I would choose for drops. This had me a bit more stretched out/leaned forward than I wanted for this bike. The forward reach on that riser stem is 6.5cm, whereas I might choose an 8.5 or 9 for drops. The rise also helps as the frame is on the short side, and I can get the contact points where I like them.
BFisher is offline  
Old 11-05-21, 10:49 AM
  #19  
karldub
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger M View Post
Thanks. They're Honjo fenders and I believe the model is H35. They will fit up to a 700x25 tire(23 in that photo).
Ah thanks, unfortunately I'm gonna need to go with wider honjos to fit the 700x28's tyres I'm considering. What light do have on the back fender and did you have to drill through the fender to mount it?
karldub is offline  
Old 11-05-21, 10:52 AM
  #20  
zandoval 
Senior Member
 
zandoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bastrop Texas
Posts: 2,999

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf View Post
Nice... There is allot of trail and error details to be found in this build. I noticed the proximity of the front fender especially...



Here's the Bar ya need...

Originally Posted by Roger M View Post
Kinda flat bar(Mustache)..

__________________
No matter where your at... There you are... Δf:=f(1/2)-f(-1/2)

Last edited by zandoval; 11-05-21 at 10:56 AM.
zandoval is offline  
Old 11-05-21, 10:57 AM
  #21  
Roger M 
Senior Member
 
Roger M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Snohomish, WA.
Posts: 2,713
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by karldub View Post
Ah thanks, unfortunately I'm gonna need to go with wider honjos to fit the 700x28's tyres I'm considering. What light do have on the back fender and did you have to drill through the fender to mount it?
Honjo makes a bunch of different models and widths. I'm sure you'll find something that works for your tire dimensions.

That is a reflector. It was a gift from a member here. I had to drill two holes for it. Not sure of the brand, but it's a very well made piece.
Roger M is offline  
Likes For Roger M:
Old 11-05-21, 11:30 AM
  #22  
noobinsf 
Senior Member
 
noobinsf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 2,934

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 861 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval View Post
Nice... There is allot of trail and error details to be found in this build. I noticed the proximity of the front fender especially...



Here's the Bar ya need...
Those are SKS longboards, and that's just how they sat. It was mounted to the front of the fork, so there was not much else I could do. Never had any issues...

I tried the bike a few different ways, including with drops, but it was just a smidge too big, and I decided to focus on other projects. In any case, while I had it, it was fun to have the only chrome-laden vintage-y racy bike in the bike cage at work.
noobinsf is offline  
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 11-05-21, 12:05 PM
  #23  
tricky 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Upper Left, USA
Posts: 1,821
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf View Post
Those are SKS longboards, and that's just how they sat. It was mounted to the front of the fork, so there was not much else I could do. Never had any issues...

I tried the bike a few different ways, including with drops, but it was just a smidge too big, and I decided to focus on other projects. In any case, while I had it, it was fun to have the only chrome-laden vintage-y racy bike in the bike cage at work.
That fender length looks great to me. Keeps the muck off the much better than shorter fenders. Not sure what Zandoval is on about. That's a solid build.

I thought there was a thread where people posted their flat bar road bike conversions but can't find it. Maybe someone else can post it, if it actually exists. All I could find was this. There are a few examples with fenders in there. show off your different handlebars - Page 2 - Bike Forums
tricky is offline  
Likes For tricky:
Old 11-07-21, 09:52 PM
  #24  
JacobLee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 696

Bikes: More Than Enough

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 506 Times in 215 Posts
This is a little off-topic with regard to the bike, but as for big frames, flat bars, and fenders:

I bought this cross frame recently because it has a cool story, and thought it was a 58 (Iím a terrible CL shopper), but quickly realized it was a 61, with matching top tube. Too long with a drop bar, so I threw on a flat bar and some mtb parts I had, and it rides great.



It occurred to me that the long top tube might keep my foot from hitting a fender when Iím in a tight, clumsy turn. So far, Iíve been able to build one bike that doesnít have sketchy toe overlap with fenders, and itís a 26Ē hardtail with a suspension-corrected rigid fork. Well, whaddaya know, this is my second bike without toe-fender interference, and itís thanks to the frame being one size too big!



Hallelujah!
JacobLee is offline  
Old 11-08-21, 11:32 AM
  #25  
DMC707 
Senior Member
 
DMC707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 4,825

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster View Post

73 Raleigh competition.
Nice !
DMC707 is offline  
Likes For DMC707:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.