Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Pandemic is changing our bodies - a solution

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Pandemic is changing our bodies - a solution

Old 02-11-22, 12:30 PM
  #1  
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland
Thread Starter
 
gugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,387

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1145 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3912 Post(s)
Liked 3,200 Times in 1,439 Posts
Pandemic is changing our bodies - a solution

My wife sent me a link to this article.

For those who have been working from home...
Posture screwed up
Eyes going bad from staring at a computer screen all day
Vitamin D deficiencies from lack of sunlight
Brain going soft from a hermitlike existance.

I texted my wife back. The answer for me is the same as always - ride a bike, preferrably with friends!
__________________
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Last edited by gugie; 02-11-22 at 12:48 PM.
gugie is offline  
Old 02-11-22, 01:59 PM
  #2  
leftthread
Senior Member
 
leftthread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Land of Cheese
Posts: 1,089
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 70 Posts
Or if you can't ride because of snow/ice/salt, try walking.
leftthread is offline  
Likes For leftthread:
Old 02-11-22, 02:03 PM
  #3  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 10,082

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3123 Post(s)
Liked 2,867 Times in 1,821 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie View Post
My wife sent me a link to this article.

For those who have been working from home...
Posture screwed up
Eyes going bad from staring at a computer screen all day
Vitamin D deficiencies from lack of sunlight
Brain going soft from a hermitlike existance.

I texted my wife back. The answer for me is the same as always - ride a bike, preferrably with friends!
Wait till you retire with this crap going on, a mountain of "to do", daily additions and urgent breakdowns that keep you from getting a handle on any of the backlog, nevermind the front and center projects you thought you were going to have time for and the riding.

I was riding at least about 2 hours, 17 mi. a day to work, I'm lucky to get 2hr a week now, ef me.

You are absolutely right about the fix, glad the weather is coming around, maybe that will help.
merziac is offline  
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-11-22, 02:18 PM
  #4  
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland
Thread Starter
 
gugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,387

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1145 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3912 Post(s)
Liked 3,200 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac View Post
Wait till you retire with this crap going on, a mountain of "to do", daily additions and urgent breakdowns that keep you from getting a handle on any of the backlog, nevermind the front and center projects you thought you were going to have time for and the riding.

I was riding at least about 2 hours, 17 mi. a day to work, I'm lucky to get 2hr a week now, ef me.

You are absolutely right about the fix, glad the weather is coming around, maybe that will help.
Maybe the solution is to take on a part time gig at an LBS about 10 miles away.
__________________
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
gugie is offline  
Likes For gugie:
Old 02-11-22, 02:24 PM
  #5  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 10,082

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3123 Post(s)
Liked 2,867 Times in 1,821 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie View Post
Maybe the solution is to take on a part time gig at an LBS about 10 miles away.
Maybe, not happenin, I play even less well with others than ever now. No shop has much use for a grumpy old C+V hack.

Just need to prioritize the riding more.
merziac is offline  
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-11-22, 02:28 PM
  #6  
randyjawa 
Senior Member
 
randyjawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada - burrrrr!
Posts: 11,242

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,279 Times in 735 Posts
The virus is a brutal enemy and here now, doing its best to beat us. That seems to be a fact. We must adapt to the new lifestyle demanded by this dangerous reality.

I could not ride last summer, thanks to severe Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my hands (actually, only moderately severe in the left hand). With that in mind, I walked(can't run anymore with a knee that needs replacing). Walking is not as much fun as riding but it does work. I actually found something interesting while walking - birds.

While walking the cottage roads at the lake, I had more time to look around safely and guess what? I started seeing the birds. I found the incredible variety surprising and started taking the odd picture or two. Got a bit lucky and snagged a really poor shot of a rarely seen King Rail(sorry about the poor picture but felt that I needed some proof of what I was doing to take the place of riding my bikes)...
__________________
"98% of the bikes I buy are projects".
randyjawa is offline  
Old 02-11-22, 02:58 PM
  #7  
squirtdad
Senior Member
 
squirtdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Jose (Willow Glen) Ca
Posts: 8,417

Bikes: 85 team Miyata (modern 5800 105) , '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1708 Post(s)
Liked 1,274 Times in 796 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac View Post
Maybe, not happenin, I play even less well with others than ever now. No shop has much use for a grumpy old C+V hack.

Just need to prioritize the riding more.
one thing I do is use my 'throw a leg over and go" bike with rack on it for errands. about 95% of quick car rides can be replaced by such bike.... it is not a super hard or good workout, but it is out and pedaling.

good reason for n+1 or simple project

by current is a 80 SR Semi pro with a simple planet bike rack, I put velo orange postino bars and techtro city levers on, cork grips, and because I had some threw on some tektro dual pivots. It has 27in rim and 1 1/4 paselas....which feel much bigger.

totally get the lack of commute, I really have to block time and get out at lunch since my commute down the hall is about 10 feet

Maybe getting into a pattern..... ride in the morning, work on everything else the rest of the day?
squirtdad is offline  
Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-11-22, 03:18 PM
  #8  
repechage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 17,384
Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2384 Post(s)
Liked 1,303 Times in 984 Posts
I have been trying to choose bike over auto for errands.
Today, Bank and grocery store.
a bit slower than car, but with the bank run, stop and get coffee on the way back, round trip as no parking lot to find a space, walk to car etc.
A total win.
But most here know that.
MY advantage? Southern California. Today, 79°F
repechage is offline  
Likes For repechage:
Old 02-11-22, 03:22 PM
  #9  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 10,082

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3123 Post(s)
Liked 2,867 Times in 1,821 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad View Post
one thing I do is use my 'throw a leg over and go" bike with rack on it for errands. about 95% of quick car rides can be replaced by such bike.... it is not a super hard or good workout, but it is out and pedaling.

good reason for n+1 or simple project

by current is a 80 SR Semi pro with a simple planet bike rack, I put velo orange postino bars and techtro city levers on, cork grips, and because I had some threw on some tektro dual pivots. It has 27in rim and 1 1/4 paselas....which feel much bigger.

totally get the lack of commute, I really have to block time and get out at lunch since my commute down the hall is about 10 feet

Maybe getting into a pattern..... ride in the morning, work on everything else the rest of the day?
I do usually piggy back rides onto errands and visa versa when close doable, can't get past not riding my good ride for those though so security is a challenge often.

But you're right, I need to set up a dedicated errand bike that fills the C+V need so I can utilize that scenario more.
merziac is offline  
Old 02-11-22, 03:26 PM
  #10  
squirtdad
Senior Member
 
squirtdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Jose (Willow Glen) Ca
Posts: 8,417

Bikes: 85 team Miyata (modern 5800 105) , '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1708 Post(s)
Liked 1,274 Times in 796 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac View Post
I do usually piggy back rides onto errands and visa versa when close doable, can't get past not riding my good ride for those though so security is a challenge often.

But you're right, I need to set up a dedicated errand bike that fills the C+V need so I can utilize that scenario more.
under stand that also, one thing that helps me for using the good bike and being able to do an last minute errand or carry some thing home is this Osprey back pack https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00RZV7Y...roduct_details

of course it seems that it gets used mostly when after a ride I stop at a brewpub to bring some home
squirtdad is offline  
Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-11-22, 03:29 PM
  #11  
Wildwood
Veteran, Pacifist
 
Wildwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 11,867

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 261 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked 2,725 Times in 1,385 Posts
Lots of shorter ones. 10mi. keeps me off the busiest roads.
Would be boring with only one or two bikes.
Always cardio value in the climb home.

Hopefully, earlier starts on weekends (as the days get longer) makes for more open roads.

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-11-22 at 03:33 PM.
Wildwood is offline  
Old 02-11-22, 03:30 PM
  #12  
gthomson
Senior Member
 
gthomson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Great White North
Posts: 933

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 200 Posts
Yeah it has been a challenge that's for sure. Not only those injuries you mention above but also the feeling of being trapped with those co workers in the house . Was lucky enough last year to enjoy a wellness program for mental and physical health called - jump on your bike at every opportunity you can and just ride. Moving meditation is what I would call it and it felt great.

Much harder since the winter started but being able to ride on the trainer helps somewhat. I won't lie though, there are some dark days.
gthomson is offline  
Old 02-11-22, 03:38 PM
  #13  
BFisher
Senior Member
 
BFisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,180
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked 1,599 Times in 774 Posts
If you can't ride 'em, wrench 'em! Beats the couch and the computer screen. One can always pick up a so-called "pity bike" and make it useful again if servicing the fleet has been done.

Also, Randy's solution is a great one.
BFisher is offline  
Likes For BFisher:
Old 02-11-22, 03:39 PM
  #14  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 10,082

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3123 Post(s)
Liked 2,867 Times in 1,821 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad View Post
under stand that also, one thing that helps me for using the good bike and being able to do an last minute errand or carry some thing home is this Osprey back pack https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00RZV7Y...roduct_details

of course it seems that it gets used mostly when after a ride I stop at a brewpub to bring some home
Yep, great minds, I have been carrying a packable Eddie B 20L in the saddle bag since Christmas and got a smaller one too, I can get a couple of non folding tires in the big one.

Just have to do it more.
merziac is offline  
Old 02-11-22, 03:45 PM
  #15  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 10,082

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3123 Post(s)
Liked 2,867 Times in 1,821 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher View Post
If you can't ride 'em, wrench 'em! Beats the couch and the computer screen. One can always pick up a so-called "pity bike" and make it useful again if servicing the fleet has been done.

Also, Randy's solution is a great one.
And therein lies the rub, a big part of the mountain of "to do" is bikes, too many not straight forward by any stretch.

But you're right, very satisfying to accomplish any part of it and move forward.
Guess I better get to work on the Escape that thieves poked a hole in the gas tank to steal the gas out of.

Never a dull moment.
merziac is offline  
Old 02-11-22, 03:57 PM
  #16  
Trakhak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 3,188
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 610 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa View Post
I could not ride last summer, thanks to severe Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my hands (actually, only moderately severe in the left hand). With that in mind, I walked(can't run anymore with a knee that needs replacing). Walking is not as much fun as riding but it does work. I actually found something interesting while walking - birds.
I had ulnar nerve damage that eventually required surgery at both wrist and elbow 20 years ago. The surgery helped somewhat, but my left hand still goes numb and the nerves in my elbow act up by 20 minutes into a ride. So I installed clamp-on aero bars on one bike and then all my bikes. Now I can ride as far as I want with little discomfort.
Trakhak is offline  
Old 02-11-22, 04:46 PM
  #17  
randyjawa 
Senior Member
 
randyjawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada - burrrrr!
Posts: 11,242

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,279 Times in 735 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage View Post
I have been trying to choose bike over auto for errands.
Today, Bank and grocery store.
a bit slower than car, but with the bank run, stop and get coffee on the way back, round trip as no parking lot to find a space, walk to car etc.
A total win.
But most here know that.
MY advantage? Southern California. Today, 79°F
Ha - today at my place -17 degrees Celcius, windy as all get out and close to a foot of snow last night. Get my drift! Burrrrr, sh_t, pooey-stinko!
__________________
"98% of the bikes I buy are projects".
randyjawa is offline  
Old 02-11-22, 04:55 PM
  #18  
squirtdad
Senior Member
 
squirtdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Jose (Willow Glen) Ca
Posts: 8,417

Bikes: 85 team Miyata (modern 5800 105) , '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1708 Post(s)
Liked 1,274 Times in 796 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac View Post
And therein lies the rub, a big part of the mountain of "to do" is bikes, too many not straight forward by any stretch.

But you're right, very satisfying to accomplish any part of it and move forward.
Guess I better get to work on the Escape that thieves poked a hole in the gas tank to steal the gas out of.

Never a dull moment.
careful with brazing that.....not sure if you should use silver or brass
squirtdad is offline  
Old 02-11-22, 05:14 PM
  #19  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 10,082

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3123 Post(s)
Liked 2,867 Times in 1,821 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad View Post
careful with brazing that.....not sure if you should use silver or brass
Not there yet, gonna try to patch it first, I've had good luck with JB weld and a stainless "patch" stuck in place with it.

I have a guy if it comes to the other.

Lifelong mech/tech/hack, just glad I can do it myself.
merziac is offline  
Old 02-11-22, 05:22 PM
  #20  
leftthread
Senior Member
 
leftthread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Land of Cheese
Posts: 1,089
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 70 Posts
Well, at least Randy is a fan of walking in the off-season.
leftthread is offline  
Old 02-11-22, 05:29 PM
  #21  
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,911
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1159 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 212 Posts
Between the Covid shut downs, some unusually cold weather for our location, wife having the Covid plague the last two weeks and Parkinson’s related issues my cycling has ceased to exist. I can fully relate to gugie posted article.

ollo_ollo had texted me for a day of riding almost two weeks back, that was the day the plague showed up at our door. Both my wife and I are fully vaccinated, still got us. At least she tested negative this morning. 😁👍😁

Bill
__________________
Semper Fi, USMC, 1975-1977

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13


qcpmsame is offline  
Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 02-11-22, 05:30 PM
  #22  
gaucho777 
Senior Member
 
gaucho777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 7,118

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 355 Posts
As a a school teacher, last (school) year was so much worse than this (school) year. Last year, I was stuck on Zoom, with a big increase in screen time, inundated with tons more work, aching back, and no commute. This year, it feels so much better to be back to in-person school, even with safety measures and mask mandates. And I really enjoy my bike commute--only about 4 miles each way, but it includes about 700' of climbing on the way to work, plus lots of nice optional routes home.

gaucho777 is online now  
Old 02-11-22, 05:39 PM
  #23  
leftthread
Senior Member
 
leftthread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Land of Cheese
Posts: 1,089
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 70 Posts
Meeting a riding buddynwho is usually on a recumbent tomorrow to walk and photograp stuff. Another riding buddy, a black belt from my martial arts days, have been walking with his new puppy. What a cool dog.
leftthread is offline  
Old 02-11-22, 05:39 PM
  #24  
Straightblock
Fast Old Guy
 
Straightblock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Central California
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac View Post
Wait till you retire with this crap going on, a mountain of "to do", daily additions and urgent breakdowns that keep you from getting a handle on any of the backlog, never mind the front and center projects you thought you were going to have time for and the riding.
I'm heading into retirement and my wife is afraid I'll be riding every day. 6 months from now when she's tired of having me underfoot, she'll be saying, "Why don't you go riding?"
Straightblock is offline  
Likes For Straightblock:
Old 02-11-22, 05:42 PM
  #25  
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,911
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1159 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Straightblock View Post
I'm heading into retirement and my wife is afraid I'll be riding every day. 6 months from now when she's tired of having me underfoot, she'll be saying, "Why don't you go riding?"
My wife already for me to be able to ride daily, and I only retired last November😏

Bill
__________________
Semper Fi, USMC, 1975-1977

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13


qcpmsame is offline  
Likes For qcpmsame:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.