Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New vs. old quick release axle diameter

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

New vs. old quick release axle diameter

Old 03-13-22, 10:03 AM
  #1  
densolo
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Newmarket, ON
Posts: 28

Bikes: Miyata 710, Motobecane Riviera, Motobecane Nomade, Miele Mercury

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
New vs. old quick release axle diameter

I picked up a bunch of axles a few months back. I'm now trying to put hubs back together and need some parts. But I'm a little confused.

Front QR axles have a diameter of ~8.8 mm?
Rear QR axles have a diameter of ~9.2 mm?

I read (here on BikeForum) that QR axles use metric, i.e. M9 and M10 to refer to front and rear QR axles, i.e. 9mm and 10mm respectively. And that bolt-on rear axles are 3/8" diameter (9.5 mm). Is the measurements that I collected the difference between modern QR axles (i.e. M9/M10) vs vintage QR axles (~8.8mm/~9.2mm)?

Am I just off? What am I missing here?
Thanks
densolo is offline  
Old 03-13-22, 12:26 PM
  #2  
oneclick 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 1,882
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 739 Times in 444 Posts
Originally Posted by densolo View Post
I picked up a bunch of axles a few months back. I'm now trying to put hubs back together and need some parts. But I'm a little confused.

Front QR axles have a diameter of ~8.8 mm?
Rear QR axles have a diameter of ~9.2 mm?

I read (here on BikeForum) that QR axles use metric, i.e. M9 and M10 to refer to front and rear QR axles, i.e. 9mm and 10mm respectively. And that bolt-on rear axles are 3/8" diameter (9.5 mm). Is the measurements that I collected the difference between modern QR axles (i.e. M9/M10) vs vintage QR axles (~8.8mm/~9.2mm)?

Am I just off? What am I missing here?
Thanks
What are you measuring?

Stock that has threads rolled to a specific dimension must be less than that - measure the thread diameter, not the unthreaded portion.
oneclick is offline  
Old 03-13-22, 02:43 PM
  #3  
densolo
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Newmarket, ON
Posts: 28

Bikes: Miyata 710, Motobecane Riviera, Motobecane Nomade, Miele Mercury

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick View Post
What are you measuring?

Stock that has threads rolled to a specific dimension must be less than that - measure the thread diameter, not the unthreaded portion.
The first picture is QR front. Second picture is QR rear. These two are from a batch I picked up in Montreal (I would say these are 30+ years old).
The third picture is a QR rear that I picked up off an alloy Weinmann 519 27" wheel (not modern but maybe 20~30 years old?).

My real problem, is that the QR rear (2nd picture) has some damaged threads (I can't get the lock nut off), and the QR front is missing lock nuts.
Maybe I can replace them (if I can figure out which ones are appropriate).

Thanks for any help you can provide.



densolo is offline  
Old 03-13-22, 08:05 PM
  #4  
densolo
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Newmarket, ON
Posts: 28

Bikes: Miyata 710, Motobecane Riviera, Motobecane Nomade, Miele Mercury

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I think I got it.

The 8.8mm measurement may be a M9. And the 9.8mm measurement may be a M10.
The 9.4mm is definitely a 3/8" axle (as I'm using a wingnut to check the thread fit, and it fits well).

Thanks.
densolo is offline  
Old 03-14-22, 08:40 AM
  #5  
oneclick 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 1,882
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 739 Times in 444 Posts
I'd use the flats of the jaws to check your diameter, you are less likely to have the v fall into a flaw or something and give you an incorrect reading.

And yes, solid axles are often 3/8" - there are some (e.g. OMAS track hubs) that are 10x26, so you do need to check...
oneclick is offline  
Likes For oneclick:
Old 03-14-22, 08:52 AM
  #6  
densolo
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Newmarket, ON
Posts: 28

Bikes: Miyata 710, Motobecane Riviera, Motobecane Nomade, Miele Mercury

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick View Post
I'd use the flats of the jaws to check your diameter, you are less likely to have the v fall into a flaw or something and give you an incorrect reading.

And yes, solid axles are often 3/8" - there are some (e.g. OMAS track hubs) that are 10x26, so you do need to check...
Thanks for your response. I'm gonna have to recheck because all three axles are 26 TPI. Therefore, they cannot be M9 and M10.
densolo is offline  
Old 03-14-22, 09:00 AM
  #7  
densolo
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Newmarket, ON
Posts: 28

Bikes: Miyata 710, Motobecane Riviera, Motobecane Nomade, Miele Mercury

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by densolo View Post
Thanks for your response. I'm gonna have to recheck because all three axles are 26 TPI. Therefore, they cannot be M9 and M10.
Ok. I think I got it.

M9 26 TPI and M10 26 TPI (Campagnolo).
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...icle-section-6
densolo is offline  
Old 03-14-22, 09:12 AM
  #8  
densolo
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Newmarket, ON
Posts: 28

Bikes: Miyata 710, Motobecane Riviera, Motobecane Nomade, Miele Mercury

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick View Post
I'd use the flats of the jaws to check your diameter, you are less likely to have the v fall into a flaw or something and give you an incorrect reading.

And yes, solid axles are often 3/8" - there are some (e.g. OMAS track hubs) that are 10x26, so you do need to check...
​​​oneclick , thanks again for your comment! Your mention of 10x26 did the trick. Confusing (10mm with 26 TPI), but at least I understand now. Thanks again!
densolo is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.