Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My turn; Schwinn Paramount incoming

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My turn; Schwinn Paramount incoming

Old 05-31-22, 11:03 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Toledo Ohio
Posts: 1,525

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Liked 712 Times in 401 Posts
My turn; Schwinn Paramount incoming

I’ve seen others with posts like this about a new mystery bike coming soon. It seems a widow lady who attends the same church as my sister mentioned a Paramount when my sister mentioned I liked older bikes. So she is giving me this “old soldier”, and will be happy to see it back on the road. The lady is perhaps 75, which is all the info I have. Picking it up Friday about 60 miles from where I live.

That sure leaves speculation open as to model, size, condition, etc. Of course I sure don’t need another bike, and it may be too racy for me, but either way it will be interesting. Around small town NW Ohio as I grew up with the Schwinn dealer being the only bike dealer in town, the paramount was exotic and tops. Perhaps it is of later vintage though, but the anticipation begins.
sd5782 is offline  
Likes For sd5782:
Old 05-31-22, 11:15 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Pcampeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 948

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Liked 698 Times in 355 Posts
Step right up, you’re turn indeed. Looking forward to the reveal. No such thing as a bad Paramount, they’re all at least pretty good, if not fantastic. Should be interesting.
Pcampeau is online now  
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 05-31-22, 11:33 AM
  #3  
Forum Moderator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 20,855

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista Vitus 979 Duralinox

Liked 6,945 Times in 3,962 Posts
It's probably really a Continental.
__________________












cb400bill is offline  
Old 05-31-22, 01:24 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Toledo Ohio
Posts: 1,525

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Liked 712 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
It's probably really a Continental.
Now wouldn’t that be a let down?
sd5782 is offline  
Old 05-31-22, 01:27 PM
  #5  
Forum Moderator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 20,855

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista Vitus 979 Duralinox

Liked 6,945 Times in 3,962 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782
Now wouldn’t that be a let down?
Similar thing happened to me with a Peugeot 10 speed. I had visions of PX-10 in my mind. When I went to pick it up it turned out to be a low end Peugeot mountain bike.
__________________












cb400bill is offline  
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 05-31-22, 01:30 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
noobinsf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 3,269

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Liked 1,214 Times in 705 Posts
Well, it sounds like this kind lady volunteered the word "Paramount," which makes it seem unlikely that it would be something else. In any case, I'm sure she will be pleased it's going to someone who will appreciate it.
noobinsf is offline  
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 05-31-22, 01:54 PM
  #7  
Extraordinary Magnitude
 
The Golden Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Waukesha WI
Posts: 13,682

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Liked 1,744 Times in 956 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782
... it may be too racy for me...
So my first 531/531 bike was a 1978/79 Trek 736. It was Trek's "racing" geometry.

I guess I always assumed "racing" meant "uncomfortable, but fast." The Trek 730 was really comfortable. AND I learned a lot about how lighter bikes ride- and just being able to compare how that really feels between different styled bikes and similar (or different) tube sets and geometry.

I think I had that bike for a good 3-4 years before I realized that my Trek 400 Sport/Tourer had more aggressive front end geometry, but with longer chainstays.

On top of all that- Because of the perception of the use of top notch materials and the expert workforce producing "the best" bikes, I look at Paramounts as being as much about the status for the "gentleman of leisure" as it was about the actual performance.

I guess short story long- don't rule out a "race" bike.
__________________
*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Person Of The Year" Award*

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
The Golden Boy is offline  
Old 05-31-22, 02:43 PM
  #8  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA - Southwest PA
Posts: 3,331

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Liked 2,149 Times in 1,199 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
It's probably really a Continental.
Think Waterford !
t2p is offline  
Likes For t2p:
Old 05-31-22, 02:57 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Toledo Ohio
Posts: 1,525

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Liked 712 Times in 401 Posts
I suppose any would be fine, but kinda want a 70s version as that is the timeframe when I was becoming interested. As Golden Boy pointed out, a racy early version may be a pleasant middling sporty ride today. Indeed, my recently completed 1972 Fuji Newest would have been considered racy, but now it is my new favorite rider. Probably too much to hope for getting real lucky as frame size will be a real crap shoot. I do ride mid sized frames, so my odds are a slight bit better in that regard.
sd5782 is offline  
Likes For sd5782:
Old 05-31-22, 03:21 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
xiaoman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 4,877

Bikes: A few too many

Liked 2,193 Times in 1,191 Posts
Regardless of the model, I think an offer of monetary compensation to the person would not be out of line.
Best, Ben
BTW, please post some pictures of it when you get it home.
__________________
"EVERY PERSON IS GUILTY OF ALL THE GOOD THEY DID NOT DO"
Voltaire

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors



xiaoman1 is offline  
Old 05-31-22, 03:28 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Toledo Ohio
Posts: 1,525

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Liked 712 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Regardless of the model, I think an offer of monetary compensation to the person would not be out of line.
Best, Ben
BTW, please post some pictures of it when you get it home.
The widow lady has a newer bike that she wants a tuneup on, so I will see what I can do there for her. It will be strange working on a newer bike. My sister said she insisted no money and that she was thrilled it was going to be on the road again.
sd5782 is offline  
Likes For sd5782:
Old 05-31-22, 06:46 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 960

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Liked 700 Times in 344 Posts
Congratulations in advance. I'm an Ohio/Arizona snowbird with a summer house near Toledo. I have some recent Paramount news of my own, but I'll put up a new post when the spirit moves me rather than hijacking yours. If the church lady frame turns out to be too tall for you I might be interested.
albrt is offline  
Old 05-31-22, 07:19 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 13,278

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Liked 6,581 Times in 3,777 Posts
Originally Posted by albrt
Congratulations in advance. I'm an Ohio/Arizona snowbird with a summer house near Toledo. I have some recent Paramount news of my own, but I'll put up a new post when the spirit moves me rather than hijacking yours. If the church lady frame turns out to be too tall for you I might be interested.
Wellll, isn't that special, Paramounts coming out of the woodwork, most excellent.
merziac is offline  
Likes For merziac:
Old 05-31-22, 10:50 PM
  #14  
Master Parts Rearranger
 
RiddleOfSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Portlandia's Kuiper Belt, OR
Posts: 4,411

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Liked 2,039 Times in 993 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Wellll, isn't that special, Paramounts coming out of the woodwork, most excellent.
And I've been keeping the acquisition of my '73 silent so far. 26"/66cm P15-9 frameset with the miles-long 62cm top tube. She's rough, and has been through a lot. Mr. 66 has lent his frame alignment skills to it, and she needed it. Somehow my larger frameset is lighter than his smaller '73 P15-9 as well as my former '74 P15-9. I like that, though. And after years of fretting over not fitting a 24.5"/62cm top tube, let alone the 61cm length from the tallest Cannondales, my revamped fitness has it in range, if only just. I look forward to putting it on the road again.
RiddleOfSteel is offline  
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 05-31-22, 11:50 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 13,278

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Liked 6,581 Times in 3,777 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
And I've been keeping the acquisition of my '73 silent so far. 26"/66cm P15-9 frameset with the miles-long 62cm top tube. She's rough, and has been through a lot. Mr. 66 has lent his frame alignment skills to it, and she needed it. Somehow my larger frameset is lighter than his smaller '73 P15-9 as well as my former '74 P15-9. I like that, though. And after years of fretting over not fitting a 24.5"/62cm top tube, let alone the 61cm length from the tallest Cannondales, my revamped fitness has it in range, if only just. I look forward to putting it on the road again.
Great news, I cannot imagine a collection without Paramount's all I have to do now is find a 60's and mine will span 4 decades with multiples in the 70's.

Here's a partial family portrait after the Albany show a couple of weeks ago.


merziac is offline  
Old 06-01-22, 06:59 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 6,061

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Liked 3,108 Times in 1,876 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
Think Waterford !
My 1986 Paramount was the nicest-finished bike I had ever seen. The filing was immaculate. The clearcoat was a little chippy, though.
smd4 is offline  
Old 06-01-22, 07:41 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
seedsbelize2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Yucatán. México
Posts: 6,589

Bikes: 2022 Gt Avalanche

Liked 1,958 Times in 1,232 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
So my first 531/531 bike was a 1978/79 Trek 736. It was Trek's "racing" geometry.

I guess I always assumed "racing" meant "uncomfortable, but fast." The Trek 730 was really comfortable. AND I learned a lot about how lighter bikes ride- and just being able to compare how that really feels between different styled bikes and similar (or different) tube sets and geometry.

I think I had that bike for a good 3-4 years before I realized that my Trek 400 Sport/Tourer had more aggressive front end geometry, but with longer chainstays.

On top of all that- Because of the perception of the use of top notch materials and the expert workforce producing "the best" bikes, I look at Paramounts as being as much about the status for the "gentleman of leisure" as it was about the actual performance.

I guess short story long- don't rule out a "race" bike.
​​​​​​ I very recently got down to two keepers,. One is a 92 Paramount PDG 5 and the other a 80 Trek 414.
seedsbelize2 is offline  
Likes For seedsbelize2:
Old 06-01-22, 07:44 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
seedsbelize2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Yucatán. México
Posts: 6,589

Bikes: 2022 Gt Avalanche

Liked 1,958 Times in 1,232 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Wellll, isn't that special, Paramounts coming out of the woodwork, most excellent.
There are currently two framesets in the for sale thread.
seedsbelize2 is offline  
Old 06-01-22, 08:20 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Toledo Ohio
Posts: 1,525

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Liked 712 Times in 401 Posts
Of course, I researched here for Paramount info. I found the 9 page thread and went through that a bit. It seems that perhaps half of them were in a sport touring wheelbase and called touring. I guess I was under the impression that most were what this old guy would consider of the racy variety, but apparently not so on all. Happy discovery.
sd5782 is offline  
Old 06-01-22, 08:54 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Reno nevada
Posts: 796

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Liked 310 Times in 149 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782
Of course, I researched here for Paramount info. I found the 9 page thread and went through that a bit. It seems that perhaps half of them were in a sport touring wheelbase and called touring. I guess I was under the impression that most were what this old guy would consider of the racy variety, but apparently not so on all. Happy discovery.
Yes. If you look at the bottom of the front fork, you can easily tell which is which. The "touring" Paramounts are VERY curvy at the bottom.
Reynolds 531 is offline  
Old 06-01-22, 09:02 AM
  #21  
Forum Moderator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 20,855

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista Vitus 979 Duralinox

Liked 6,945 Times in 3,962 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
​​​​​​ I very recently got down to two keepers,. One is a 92 Paramount PDG 5...
My 1991 PDG 5 rides great, as well.
__________________












cb400bill is offline  
Old 06-01-22, 09:15 AM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 6,061

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Liked 3,108 Times in 1,876 Posts
I believe the racing Paramounts in the 1970s were brazed by two female welders...Saw that in a book called the Custom Bicycle by Michael Kolin that I will have to dig out of my moving boxes.
smd4 is offline  
Old 06-01-22, 09:43 AM
  #23  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Toledo Ohio
Posts: 1,525

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Liked 712 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds 531
Yes. If you look at the bottom of the front fork, you can easily tell which is which. The "touring" Paramounts are VERY curvy at the bottom.
Okay, thanks. I also noted with pics that the more sport touring ones had a bit longer chainstay as evidenced by a greater space between the rear wheel and the seat tube. If I was going to choose my gift, it would be a 23” size, with a triple crank, and Nervex lug era of early 70s. Same era as my Supersports.
sd5782 is offline  
Old 06-01-22, 11:47 AM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Mr. 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 3,415
Liked 1,864 Times in 1,013 Posts
It does seam like a bunch of Paramount sightings as of late. Let's look forward to yours.
Mr. 66 is offline  
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 06-01-22, 12:34 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Reno nevada
Posts: 796

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Liked 310 Times in 149 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782
Okay, thanks. I also noted with pics that the more sport touring ones had a bit longer chainstay as evidenced by a greater space between the rear wheel and the seat tube. If I was going to choose my gift, it would be a 23” size, with a triple crank, and Nervex lug era of early 70s. Same era as my Supersports.
My input is more of a "Paramount Spotters Guide" for tiny craigslist pictures (don't forget to search " Shwinn" every Saturday morning!).
If you are looking for a triple, check for the Suntour (horizontal parallelogram) rear derailleur in the little tiny NDS thumbnail.

Last edited by Reynolds 531; 06-01-22 at 12:44 PM.
Reynolds 531 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.