Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Finally grabbed a Schwinn Le Tour 1980 12 Speed

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Finally grabbed a Schwinn Le Tour 1980 12 Speed

Old 06-27-22, 07:27 AM
  #1  
RidingAroundCT
Member
Thread Starter
 
RidingAroundCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 33

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour 1988 12 Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Finally grabbed a Schwinn Le Tour 1980 12 Speed

I've been slowly looking into grabbing a bike for a daily commuter/random bike. This bike was $125 which maybe on the higher side I'm not 110% sure but it is what it is!

Bike includes Sakae handles, Siguno crankset, Dia compe, Suntour, & Weinman Rims

The only issue is the front tire is flat and doesn't hold air.

I plan on getting it serviced and probably changing the wheels and get whatever else needs to be changed out.

Pictures are below










RidingAroundCT is offline  
Likes For RidingAroundCT:
Old 06-27-22, 07:58 AM
  #2  
kermie
Full Member
 
kermie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 234

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Cross 2.0 LE, 1993 Santana Vision, 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1993 Trek 930, 1985 Panasonic DX3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 53 Posts
That should be a fun project. Looks like several areas will need attention, but it will make you knowledgeable for future buys. Have fun, and keep us posted on your progress.
kermie is offline  
Old 06-27-22, 08:03 AM
  #3  
RidingAroundCT
Member
Thread Starter
 
RidingAroundCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 33

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour 1988 12 Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks kermie! Definitely plan on learning more about the bike and taking care of it. looking forward to posting progress
RidingAroundCT is offline  
Old 06-27-22, 08:04 AM
  #4  
steelbikeguy
Senior Member
 
steelbikeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 3,646
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1417 Post(s)
Liked 2,106 Times in 1,031 Posts
Was this generation of LeTours closer to the weight of their competitors? I had an early LeTour, which was a nice bike for the late 70's, but in retrospect, the frame tubes were pretty chunky (i.e. the tubing had thick walls).

With some penetrating oil, new grease, etc., this LeTour should do quite nicely!

Steve in Peoria
steelbikeguy is offline  
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 06-27-22, 09:05 AM
  #5  
Mr. 66
Senior Member
 
Mr. 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,560
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 588 Posts
Im thinking your new bike is closer to 1986 than '80 with the fade paint and the Suntour indexing.
Mr. 66 is offline  
Old 06-27-22, 09:21 AM
  #6  
kermie
Full Member
 
kermie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 234

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Cross 2.0 LE, 1993 Santana Vision, 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1993 Trek 930, 1985 Panasonic DX3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66 View Post
Im thinking your new bike is closer to 1986 than '80 with the fade paint and the Suntour indexing.
Seeing the SunTour Accushift, leads me to agree, mid to late 1980's I think Accushift came out in 86 or 87....
kermie is offline  
Likes For kermie:
Old 06-27-22, 09:32 AM
  #7  
RidingAroundCT
Member
Thread Starter
 
RidingAroundCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 33

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour 1988 12 Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the info Mr. 66 and Kermie!
RidingAroundCT is offline  
Old 06-27-22, 09:49 AM
  #8  
sd5782 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Toledo Ohio
Posts: 1,082

Bikes: 1964 Frejus,1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport, 1983 Trek 700, 1985 Ironman, 1985 Torpado, 1983 Peugeot UO14, 1989 Miyata 1000LT and others

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66 View Post
Im thinking your new bike is closer to 1986 than '80 with the fade paint and the Suntour indexing.
Yes, yours is a later year and better. I snatched a curb find 1980 Letour many years ago. My son has it now. It was lower quality tubing and steel wheels. Interesting historical story on the 1980 model is it was brought back from Japan manufacturing and made in Chicago for perhaps that one year. It actually rides decent considering the lower quality steel and the steel wheels. Yours is a much better find and will serve you well. Have fun.
sd5782 is offline  
Old 06-27-22, 02:30 PM
  #9  
RidingAroundCT
Member
Thread Starter
 
RidingAroundCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 33

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour 1988 12 Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782 View Post
Yes, yours is a later year and better. I snatched a curb find 1980 Letour many years ago. My son has it now. It was lower quality tubing and steel wheels. Interesting historical story on the 1980 model is it was brought back from Japan manufacturing and made in Chicago for perhaps that one year. It actually rides decent considering the lower quality steel and the steel wheels. Yours is a much better find and will serve you well. Have fun.
that is a good bit of history thanks for the info
RidingAroundCT is offline  
Old 06-28-22, 06:43 AM
  #10  
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic
 
pastorbobnlnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: An Island on the Coast of GA!
Posts: 12,207

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, Aero Lotus & a Lonely '83 Santana Tandem (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 485 Posts
Keep in mind that if you are having it serviced by your LBS, they will probably want to simply bin your freewheel. If you are running the Accu Shift RD on index shifting, there's no modern freewheel that is fully compatible. The Suntour freewheel should be saved, serviced, and reused.

Can you post a close-up picture with the wheel off the bike in order that I can better evaluate its condition?
__________________
Bob
Enjoying the GA coast all year long!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com





pastorbobnlnh is offline  
Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 06-28-22, 06:57 AM
  #11  
alcjphil
Senior Member
 
alcjphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 5,318
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Liked 1,217 Times in 724 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh View Post
Keep in mind that if you are having it serviced by your LBS, they will probably want to simply bin your freewheel. If you are running the Accu Shift RD on index shifting, there's no modern freewheel that is fully compatible. The Suntour freewheel should be saved, serviced, and reused.

Can you post a close-up picture with the wheel off the bike in order that I can better evaluate its condition?
Good advice. It would probably be a good idea to earn how to service the bike yourself if you can. If you do take the bike in, before you do give it a thorough cleaning. From my own experience working in bike shops one thing we all hated was working on a dirty bike and we would charge extra to clean the bike before we worked on it
alcjphil is offline  
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 06-28-22, 07:16 AM
  #12  
RidingAroundCT
Member
Thread Starter
 
RidingAroundCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 33

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour 1988 12 Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh View Post
Keep in mind that if you are having it serviced by your LBS, they will probably want to simply bin your freewheel. If you are running the Accu Shift RD on index shifting, there's no modern freewheel that is fully compatible. The Suntour freewheel should be saved, serviced, and reused.

Can you post a close-up picture with the wheel off the bike in order that I can better evaluate its condition?
As soon as I get home ill snap a pic of it and thanks for the info I had no idea

Originally Posted by alcjphil View Post
Good advice. It would probably be a good idea to earn how to service the bike yourself if you can. If you do take the bike in, before you do give it a thorough cleaning. From my own experience working in bike shops one thing we all hated was working on a dirty bike and we would charge extra to clean the bike before we worked on it
Thanks and yeah I plan on cleaning it up before getting it serviced.
RidingAroundCT is offline  
Likes For RidingAroundCT:
Old 06-28-22, 06:54 PM
  #13  
LittleGinseng 
lurking nightrider
 
LittleGinseng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 574

Bikes: '84 Lotus Supreme, '85 Club Fuji, '86 Schwinn Peloton, '87 DS Ironman Expert, '87 Maruishi Professional, '88 Takara

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66 View Post
Im thinking your new bike is closer to 1986 than '80 with the fade paint and the Suntour indexing.
It's a 1988 model to be sure.

Schwinn catalogs, 1981 - 1990 (346 of 456) (waterfordbikes.com)
__________________
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys." Orson Welles
LittleGinseng is offline  
Likes For LittleGinseng:
Old 06-28-22, 07:13 PM
  #14  
Pompiere
Senior Member
 
Pompiere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 2,998

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 360 Times in 232 Posts
It looks like a 1988 Le Tour. There should be a four digit number stamped into the head badge. The first three digits are the day of the year, the last is the year. Mine is 0888, so March 17, 1988 if I counted the leap years correctly. They were built by Schwinn in Mississippi. I rebuilt my wheels with wider rims to make it easier to mount the tires. It weighs about 25 pounds, which is where most of the sport touring competition was. There is not a lot of love for the Sun Tour AccuShift, but I didn't have any issues with it. Even with a triple crankset and a mountain bike derailleur, it worked well.


1988 Le Tour

Here is a link to the catalog page:
https://bikecatalogs.org/SCHWINN/1988...LL/1988_12.jpg
Pompiere is offline  
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 06-29-22, 06:07 AM
  #15  
RidingAroundCT
Member
Thread Starter
 
RidingAroundCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 33

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour 1988 12 Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LittleGinseng View Post
Originally Posted by Pompiere View Post
It looks like a 1988 Le Tour. There should be a four digit number stamped into the head badge. The first three digits are the day of the year, the last is the year. Mine is 0888, so March 17, 1988 if I counted the leap years correctly. They were built by Schwinn in Mississippi. I rebuilt my wheels with wider rims to make it easier to mount the tires. It weighs about 25 pounds, which is where most of the sport touring competition was. There is not a lot of love for the Sun Tour AccuShift, but I didn't have any issues with it. Even with a triple crankset and a mountain bike derailleur, it worked well.


1988 Le Tour

Here is a link to the catalog page:
https://bikecatalogs.org/SCHWINN/1988...LL/1988_12.jpg
Thank you! I'll double check the number today once I'm home but I'm pretty sure I saw a number on the bottom of the bike
RidingAroundCT is offline  
Old 06-29-22, 06:10 AM
  #16  
RidingAroundCT
Member
Thread Starter
 
RidingAroundCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 33

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour 1988 12 Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh View Post
Keep in mind that if you are having it serviced by your LBS, they will probably want to simply bin your freewheel. If you are running the Accu Shift RD on index shifting, there's no modern freewheel that is fully compatible. The Suntour freewheel should be saved, serviced, and reused.

Can you post a close-up picture with the wheel off the bike in order that I can better evaluate its condition?


RidingAroundCT is offline  
Old 06-29-22, 07:07 AM
  #17  
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic
 
pastorbobnlnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: An Island on the Coast of GA!
Posts: 12,207

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, Aero Lotus & a Lonely '83 Santana Tandem (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 485 Posts
RidingAroundCT unfortunately my eyes are not good enough to do a proper evaluation of thumbnail sized pictures. The best I can tell you is to confirm it is a Suntour Accu Shift model freewheel. In one photo it appears to be rusty. How does it feel when you spin the sprockets? Smooth, gritty, stiff, catches in places?

I would service and preserve your freewheel. Searching ebay only finds two Accu Shift 6-speed freewheels, and both are pricey. Most Accu Shift freewheels that I've worked on were 7-speed models.
__________________
Bob
Enjoying the GA coast all year long!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com





pastorbobnlnh is offline  
Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 06-29-22, 07:27 AM
  #18  
RidingAroundCT
Member
Thread Starter
 
RidingAroundCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 33

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour 1988 12 Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh View Post
RidingAroundCT unfortunately my eyes are not good enough to do a proper evaluation of thumbnail sized pictures. The best I can tell you is to confirm it is a Suntour Accu Shift model freewheel. In one photo it appears to be rusty. How does it feel when you spin the sprockets? Smooth, gritty, stiff, catches in places?

I would service and preserve your freewheel. Searching ebay only finds two Accu Shift 6-speed freewheels, and both are pricey. Most Accu Shift freewheels that I've worked on were 7-speed models.
Hi! you can actually click on the pictures and a bigger picture should come up. It appears smooth when I spin it.
RidingAroundCT is offline  
Old 06-29-22, 03:01 PM
  #19  
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic
 
pastorbobnlnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: An Island on the Coast of GA!
Posts: 12,207

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, Aero Lotus & a Lonely '83 Santana Tandem (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 485 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingAroundCT View Post
Hi! you can actually click on the pictures and a bigger picture should come up. It appears smooth when I spin it.
I tried this earlier today and they each remained small. This time I asked my browser to open your pictures in a separate link and then had to double click them to enlarge.


I'll just add one here in order that others don't need to jump through the hoops.

While a bit tarnished with a tattered finish, overall, it looks to have had little use. It is a great candidate for cleaning, lubrication, and service. Don't let the LBS throw it away for a new one.
__________________
Bob
Enjoying the GA coast all year long!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com





pastorbobnlnh is offline  
Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 06-29-22, 10:06 PM
  #20  
SurferRosa
señor miembro
 
SurferRosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 6,394

Bikes: Old school lightweights

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2677 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 2,011 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingAroundCT View Post
I plan on getting it serviced and probably changing the wheels.
The wheels look like the best part.

Fully overhaul it! Buy Paselas and a new chain on the internet/ebay.
SurferRosa is online now  
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 06-30-22, 08:03 AM
  #21  
RidingAroundCT
Member
Thread Starter
 
RidingAroundCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 33

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour 1988 12 Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh View Post
I tried this earlier today and they each remained small. This time I asked my browser to open your pictures in a separate link and then had to double click them to enlarge.


I'll just add one here in order that others don't need to jump through the hoops.

While a bit tarnished with a tattered finish, overall, it looks to have had little use. It is a great candidate for cleaning, lubrication, and service. Don't let the LBS throw it away for a new one.
thanks! I actually went to my local lbs to get tape and look at seats and he was telling me how i should just get a new one lol
RidingAroundCT is offline  
Old 06-30-22, 10:32 AM
  #22  
sovende
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Western WI (USA)
Posts: 549

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 114 Posts
An ‘80s bike for sure but yes late ‘80s! Definitely going with the 1988 suggestion. Headbadge code and frame # will provide more info. Depending on date of final assembly (headbadge) it’s possible that the frame could be from the previous year. Also, if the the final assembly was late enough in the year, the bike could be part of the next year’s model lineup. I think that, with Schwinn bikes, catalog photos are the final confirmation.
I do have a 1980 LeTour and agree that the OP’s LeTour is a much better bike! Being one of the last “Chicago Schwinns” does give the 1980 LeTour some degree of “desirability” tho .
I also have a 1989 LeTour which is quite similar to the OP’s ‘88 model. It too, has the Sun Tour AccuShift groupset but in 1989 it was labeled “Blaze”. Glad to learn that I should definitely keep the OEM freewheel and recommend that the OP heed that suggestion made by others too. Freewheels aren’t that hard to rehabilitate and if the teeth show minimal signs of wear/abuse, should perform well.
The ‘88 LeTour is a nice looking bike and if it performs anything like my ‘89 model, will be a nice ride too!
sovende is offline  
Likes For sovende:
Old 06-30-22, 11:14 AM
  #23  
RidingAroundCT
Member
Thread Starter
 
RidingAroundCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 33

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour 1988 12 Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Thank you for the info and honestly thank everyone for all the details and help I appreciate it. I'm away on a business trip today through next Thursday but once I'm home ill definitely do some looking for a serial.


Also a few questions (warning they are silly)

1. Are these tires (ones that aren't flat) ok for commuting and general riding?

2. Can this bike safely pull a trailer? I think it can but my wife wants some others to chime in, who know. I'm looking at a trailer like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/18547440274...mis&media=COPY
RidingAroundCT is offline  
Old 06-30-22, 11:55 AM
  #24  
kermie
Full Member
 
kermie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 234

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Cross 2.0 LE, 1993 Santana Vision, 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1993 Trek 930, 1985 Panasonic DX3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 53 Posts
To the tire question, if it were me, I would buy new tires and tubes. Rubber does degrade over time, so you want to keep it reliable. As to the trailer, Im sure it would be fine, but someone with experience with the bike could better answer that one
kermie is offline  
Old 06-30-22, 01:00 PM
  #25  
daverup 
Senior Member
 
daverup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 619

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingAroundCT View Post
1. Are these tires (ones that aren't flat) ok for commuting and general riding?

2. Can this bike safely pull a trailer?
If the tires are old and dried out, I would replace them with new.
The trailer will add weight which will work against the brakes. How old are those brake pads? If you are going to pull this trailer in wet or rainy weather Kool Stop brake pads will greatly improve stopping.
If you are in a hilly area, you may find the gearing a bit high for uphill work. The trailer will make that worse, if it is heavy.
daverup is offline  
Likes For daverup:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.