Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Odd duck. Nishiki Ariel.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Odd duck. Nishiki Ariel.

Old 07-25-22, 04:52 PM
  #1  
Lbxpdx
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Portland
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 204 Times in 80 Posts
Odd duck. Nishiki Ariel.

While out and about today I stopped at a thrift store, and as I was paying for some books I turned around and noticed this odd thing I just been wheeled out. It kind a looks fun and it was priced right so I decided to take pity on it and take it home, though my intentions are only to keep the wheels and the Kranks. I think I may need to air up the tires and take it out for a spin before I strip it of the parts I want.

Lbxpdx is offline  
Likes For Lbxpdx:
Old 07-25-22, 04:57 PM
  #2  
RustyJames 
Senior Member
 
RustyJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 866

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 290 Posts
How were the meatballs? 🤣
RustyJames is offline  
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 07-25-22, 04:58 PM
  #3  
Lbxpdx
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Portland
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 204 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames View Post
How were the meatballs? 🤣
Usually theyre great though I just opted for soup and salad for a whopping $3.38
Lbxpdx is offline  
Likes For Lbxpdx:
Old 07-25-22, 05:51 PM
  #4  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 22,982
Mentioned: 621 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4583 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2,749 Times in 1,731 Posts
FYI, that's the 1990 Ariel. The suspension fork, threadless headset, threadless stem, handlebar and pedals are all changes by a previous owner.
T-Mar is offline  
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 07-25-22, 06:18 PM
  #5  
RustyJames 
Senior Member
 
RustyJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 866

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 290 Posts
Originally Posted by Lbxpdx View Post
Usually theyre great though I just opted for soup and salad for a whopping $3.38
Note to self - soup and salad next time Im picking up cheap towels and those raspberry filled cookies.

Neat bike BTW
RustyJames is offline  
Old 07-25-22, 06:24 PM
  #6  
tricky 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Upper Left, USA
Posts: 1,882
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by Lbxpdx View Post
While out and about today I stopped at a thrift store, and as I was paying for some books I turned around and noticed this odd thing I just been wheeled out. It kind a looks fun and it was priced right so I decided to take pity on it and take it home, though my intentions are only to keep the wheels and the Kranks. I think I may need to air up the tires and take it out for a spin before I strip it of the parts I want.

Nice snag! If you are just going to throw away the frame, I have a friend in PDX that would probably be interested in saving it.
tricky is offline  
Old 07-25-22, 07:21 PM
  #7  
Lbxpdx
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Portland
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 204 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky View Post
Nice snag! If you are just going to throw away the frame, I have a friend in PDX that would probably be interested in saving it.
i am going keep the wheels, derailleur and crankset, then sell the rest.

Last edited by Lbxpdx; 07-25-22 at 07:42 PM.
Lbxpdx is offline  
Old 07-25-22, 07:38 PM
  #8  
jet sanchEz
Senior Member
 
jet sanchEz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 8,819
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 674 Times in 310 Posts
Could be an interesting candidate for a belt drive bike....
jet sanchEz is offline  
Old 07-26-22, 12:22 AM
  #9  
Soody
Senior Member
 
Soody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 796

Bikes: Gunnar, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mountain, Diamant, Marin, Shogun, Avanti, Winora

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 116 Posts
Love the colourscheme.
Not having chain slap is a big advantage.
Those frames are heavier though so i'd probably part it out too.
Soody is offline  
Old 07-26-22, 07:51 AM
  #10  
klusk002
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 10

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane AL 2, 2021 Giant Talon 2, 1985(ish) Club Fuji (build in progress)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wild silhouette! Is there any advantage to having the chainstays designed like that? Nice find
klusk002 is offline  
Old 07-26-22, 08:06 AM
  #11  
USAZorro
Seor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hardy, VA
Posts: 17,234

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 342 Posts
Looks like someone's prank went much too far.
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is online now  
Old 07-26-22, 08:27 AM
  #12  
Germany_chris
Im a little Surly
 
Germany_chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southern Germany
Posts: 2,009

Bikes: Two Cross Checks and a Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 916 Times in 478 Posts
As much as we all like Mr. Cunningham none of the raised chainstay designs were attractive
Germany_chris is offline  
Old 07-26-22, 11:53 AM
  #13  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 22,982
Mentioned: 621 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4583 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2,749 Times in 1,731 Posts
Originally Posted by klusk002 View Post
Wild silhouette! Is there any advantage to having the chainstays designed like that? Nice find
There were several advantages but the big advantage was the ability to fit extra wide tyres. The bottom bracket shell is the weak link in the tyre width dilemma. By attaching the chainstays to BB shell, you're placing them fairly close together, limiting the space for a tyre to fit between them. To increase the spacing, manufacturers traditionally crimped the stays and/or used oval tubing.

When ATBs were introduced they intially came with very long chainstays, allowing manufacturers to use drastic S-bends in the chainstays, that allowed wide tyres to be fitted. However, chainstay length started to shrink in the quest for more nimble frame designs. In doing so, tyres got narrower. Circa 1990, ATBs made a move to wider, 73mm shells, allowing wider tyres to be fitted. But increasing BB shell width too much results in wider crankarm/pedal spacing (aka Q-factor) which raises other issues.

By elevating the chainstays over the chainrings you alleviate this restriction. Shells and Q-factor can remain narrow but the spacing between the stays can be increased, allowing very wide tyres to be fitted.

Franklly, given the C&V trend towards wide as possible tyres on road bicycles, I'm surprised that some member hasn't taken a Pinarello Montello or similar frame and converted it to elevated chainstays, so they could run a 38-42C rear tyre. Sounds like Gugie project to me.

Last edited by T-Mar; 07-26-22 at 11:57 AM.
T-Mar is offline  
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 07-26-22, 12:11 PM
  #14  
Lbxpdx
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Portland
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 204 Times in 80 Posts
Well, I posted the bike up for reasonable offers last night, went for a late night ride, and by midnight I got two offers. The frame sold this morning for $175. Young-ish guy, maybe late 20s early 30s. He wanted the frame so he could put 26 x 2.8s on it.
Lbxpdx is offline  
Old 07-26-22, 12:22 PM
  #15  
madpogue 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Madison, WI USA
Posts: 6,104
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2061 Post(s)
Liked 1,168 Times in 854 Posts
Same frame as the Alien?
madpogue is offline  
Old 07-26-22, 12:36 PM
  #16  
Lbxpdx
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Portland
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 204 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Same frame as the Alien?
no idea. I saw the same frame sell for $275 on eBay, but I was fine with $175.
Lbxpdx is offline  
Old 07-26-22, 12:40 PM
  #17  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 22,982
Mentioned: 621 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4583 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2,749 Times in 1,731 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Same frame as the Alien?
It's pretty close to the 1989 Alien, having the same concept but a slightly different execution. In 1990, the year of this Ariel, the Alien used an aluminum main triangle, constructed from rectangular tubes, while the rear triangle was constructed from Tange Prestige CrMo and bolted to the main triangle.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 07-26-22, 04:28 PM
  #18  
bark_eater 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Eastern Shore, MD
Posts: 1,665

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Lbxpdx View Post
He wanted the frame so he could put 26 x 2.8s on it.
I've got one of these in the attic. I was thinking it would be interesting as a "road bike" with fat tires and relatively short "chain stays" I'm not sure if the fork would clear 2.8s though.
bark_eater is offline  
Old 07-26-22, 05:23 PM
  #19  
Lbxpdx
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Portland
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 204 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater View Post
I've got one of these in the attic. I was thinking it would be interesting as a "road bike" with fat tires and relatively short "chain stays" I'm not sure if the fork would clear 2.8s though.
Im not sure what fork he was planning on using. Im selling the Marzocchi separately.
Lbxpdx is offline  
Old 07-26-22, 09:40 PM
  #20  
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic
 
Jeff Wills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: other Vancouver
Posts: 9,608
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
As much as we all like Mr. Cunningham none of the raised chainstay designs were attractive
Well, neither was Mr. Cunningham. He was one of the mountain bike pioneers but looks weren't his strong point.
I met him when he was still working in a shop and getting Mantis bicycles going. We were in the same Schwinn School class in 1980- I think both of us already knew how to work on bikes and were just getting the certificate for the wall of the shop. He started Mantis Bicycles the next year and went on to bigger and better things.

MOMBAT: Mantis Bicycles History (mombatbicycles.com)

__________________
Jeff Wills

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Jeff Wills is offline  
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 07-27-22, 07:57 AM
  #21  
klusk002
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 10

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane AL 2, 2021 Giant Talon 2, 1985(ish) Club Fuji (build in progress)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
There were several advantages but the big advantage was the ability to fit extra wide tyres. The bottom bracket shell is the weak link in the tyre width dilemma. By attaching the chainstays to BB shell, you're placing them fairly close together, limiting the space for a tyre to fit between them. To increase the spacing, manufacturers traditionally crimped the stays and/or used oval tubing.

When ATBs were introduced they intially came with very long chainstays, allowing manufacturers to use drastic S-bends in the chainstays, that allowed wide tyres to be fitted. However, chainstay length started to shrink in the quest for more nimble frame designs. In doing so, tyres got narrower. Circa 1990, ATBs made a move to wider, 73mm shells, allowing wider tyres to be fitted. But increasing BB shell width too much results in wider crankarm/pedal spacing (aka Q-factor) which raises other issues.

By elevating the chainstays over the chainrings you alleviate this restriction. Shells and Q-factor can remain narrow but the spacing between the stays can be increased, allowing very wide tyres to be fitted.

Franklly, given the C&V trend towards wide as possible tyres on road bicycles, I'm surprised that some member hasn't taken a Pinarello Montello or similar frame and converted it to elevated chainstays, so they could run a 38-42C rear tyre. Sounds like Gugie project to me.
Appreciate the reply and all the info!
klusk002 is offline  
Old 07-29-22, 12:39 PM
  #22  
Murray Missile 
Senior Member
 
Murray Missile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 700 Ft. above sea level.
Posts: 2,767

Bikes: Not as many as there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 347 Posts
Originally Posted by Lbxpdx View Post
The frame sold this morning for $175.
Dang! Makes me feel a lot better about what I gave for mine..........IIRC 3 or 4 years ago I gave $125 for this Marin Eldridge Grade, the Ariel and most of a FUJI Suncrest with it's Deer Head components intact and they were all my size or close enough. Plus they threw in a stack off oddball wheels and a couple of them were pretty high end.








__________________
".....distasteful and easily triggered."
Murray Missile is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.