Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Recommendation for Bike Mechanic in the LA area for an 80's Colnago!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Recommendation for Bike Mechanic in the LA area for an 80's Colnago!

Old 09-21-22, 07:23 PM
  #1  
nutpowder
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recommendation for Bike Mechanic in the LA area for an 80's Colnago!

Trying to find a bicycle mechanic that's sensitive/experienced with 80's road bikes. I just aquired a 1988 Colnago (a Superissimo I think) that hasn't been ridden in the last 10 or 20 years. No major problems but I'm guessing it needs a good overhaul. I was going to try and do it myself but I really want it done right and I didn't want to learn on my first project. Not looking for an immaculate restoration but I do want it to be flawlessly functional!
Preferably in or near the Los Angeles area but I'm happy to travel 20 or 30 miles if they are highly recommended.
Thanks in advance!!!
nutpowder is offline  
Old 09-21-22, 07:46 PM
  #2  
Retoocs
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Is Steve Lubanski @ Open Road Bike Shop in Altadena still around? I used to go to his shop in Pasadena back in the 90's. He had a lot of cool bikes back then.
Retoocs is offline  
Likes For Retoocs:
Old 09-21-22, 08:02 PM
  #3  
nutpowder
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just looked online and it looks like Steve and Open Road Bike Shop is still there
Thanks Retoocs for the tip!!!
nutpowder is offline  
Old 09-21-22, 08:13 PM
  #4  
Bad Lag
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: So Cal, for now
Posts: 1,978

Bikes: 1975 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 278 Posts
Do you mean 20-30 miles from downtown City of Los Angeles?

Saying "LA" encompasses a HUGE area and sometimes just refers to So Cal, in general, which is monstrously large.
Bad Lag is offline  
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 09-21-22, 08:15 PM
  #5  
glenfong
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: East Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Check with Marcel at Bicisport in Laguna Niguel,
28940 Golden Lantern St Ste A
Laguna Niguel CA 92677
Phone: 949-643-1620 www.celoeuropa.net
I've known Marcel since the 70's when he had a shop in Manhattan Beach. I had my '74 Colnago Super upgraded and repainted this summer thru his shop


glenfong is offline  
Likes For glenfong:
Old 09-21-22, 08:20 PM
  #6  
nutpowder
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bad Lag The closer to the City of LA the better but I'm happy to travel anywhere in LA County or the OC etc.
nutpowder is offline  
Old 09-21-22, 08:21 PM
  #7  
nutpowder
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
glenfong THANKS! I'll check them out too.
nutpowder is offline  
Old 09-21-22, 08:53 PM
  #8  
xiaoman1 
Senior Member
 
xiaoman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 4,950

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by nutpowder View Post
Trying to find a bicycle mechanic that's sensitive/experienced with 80's road bikes. I just aquired a 1988 Colnago (a Superissimo I think) that hasn't been ridden in the last 10 or 20 years. No major problems but I'm guessing it needs a good overhaul. I was going to try and do it myself but I really want it done right and I didn't want to learn on my first project. Not looking for an immaculate restoration but I do want it to be flawlessly functional!
Preferably in or near the Los Angeles area but I'm happy to travel 20 or 30 miles if they are highly recommended.
Thanks in advance!!!
Ask for Gilbert at Helens Cycle in Santa Monica......Knows vintage bikes inside and out...and best of all he rides a "Vintage" Colnago.
Best, Ben
__________________
"EVERY PERSON IS GUILTY OF ALL THE GOOD THEY DID NOT DO"
Voltaire

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors



xiaoman1 is online now  
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 09-21-22, 08:58 PM
  #9  
Thalia949
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Southern Cal
Posts: 101

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 37 Posts
My recommendation is the Bicycle Stand in Long Beach. Evan and the crew are all about vintage, they are my go to shop. I;ve had a frame restored and other mech things. They are great and visiting the shop is like going to a museum.
Thalia949 is offline  
Likes For Thalia949:
Old 09-21-22, 10:19 PM
  #10  
Robvolz 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 150 Posts
Velo in Pasadena!!

former racer with an incredible collection heíll show you in he takes a liking.
Robvolz is offline  
Likes For Robvolz:
Old 09-22-22, 07:04 AM
  #11  
Spaghetti Legs 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 4,750

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 2,017 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by glenfong View Post
Check with Marcel at Bicisport in Laguna Niguel,
28940 Golden Lantern St Ste A
Laguna Niguel CA 92677
Phone: 949-643-1620 www.celoeuropa.net
I've known Marcel since the 70's when he had a shop in Manhattan Beach. I had my '74 Colnago Super upgraded and repainted this summer thru his shop

Thats a gorgeous restoration, any pics of complete bike?

Just a guess but that is Marcel Calborn? If I remember correctly, he was a Colnago distributor in SoCal BITD and also marketed Celo and Calborn frames which were Colnago built.
__________________
N = '96 Colnago C40, '04 Wilier Alpe D'Huez, '10 Colnago EPS, '85 Merckx Pro, '89 Merckx Century, '86 Tommasini Professional, '04 Teschner Aero FX Pro, '05 Alan Carbon Cross, '86 De Rosa Professional, '82 Colnago Super, '95 Gios Compact Pro, '95 Carrera Zeus, '84 Basso Gap, Ď89 Cinelli Supercorsa, Ď83 Bianchi Specialissima, ĎVO Randonneur, Ritchey Breakaway Steel, '84 Paletti Super Prestige, Heron Randonneur

Spaghetti Legs is offline  
Old 09-22-22, 12:53 PM
  #12  
glenfong
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: East Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
Thats a gorgeous restoration, any pics of complete bike?

Just a guess but that is Marcel Calborn? If I remember correctly, he was a Colnago distributor in SoCal BITD and also marketed Celo and Calborn frames which were Colnago built.
Yessir, that is the same Marcel! He still has a lot of Colnagos in his inventory.

Thanks! The Verde Marino Green Super will be reassembled soon, waiting on a few more parts. Will post a few pics when it gets there.
glenfong is offline  
Likes For glenfong:
Old 09-22-22, 01:08 PM
  #13  
Caliwild
Senior Member
 
Caliwild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,009
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Thalia949 View Post
My recommendation is the Bicycle Stand in Long Beach. Evan and the crew are all about vintage, they are my go to shop. I;ve had a frame restored and other mech things. They are great and visiting the shop is like going to a museum.
I second this recommendation! The Bicycle Stand is the best vintage bike shop in LA, IMO. They can do a full restoration, including paint. Here is an example of their work:

Olmo
Caliwild is offline  
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 09-22-22, 10:12 PM
  #14  
repechage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 18,125
Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2657 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,246 Posts
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
Thats a gorgeous restoration, any pics of complete bike?

Just a guess but that is Marcel Calborn? If I remember correctly, he was a Colnago distributor in SoCal BITD and also marketed Celo and Calborn frames which were Colnago built.
Marcel is a character. He was looking to hire, I went in, I had been working at a pro level shop for over five years. We discussed how to and such, offered a job at minimum wage.
I laughed to myself. I was making a dollar an hour more scooping ice cream.
I did not take his offer.
repechage is offline  
Likes For repechage:
Old 09-23-22, 12:22 PM
  #15  
glenfong
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: East Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage View Post
Marcel is a character. He was looking to hire, I went in, I had been working at a pro level shop for over five years. We discussed how to and such, offered a job at minimum wage.
I laughed to myself. I was making a dollar an hour more scooping ice cream.
I did not take his offer.
And all the ice cream you can eat!
glenfong is offline  
Likes For glenfong:
Old 09-23-22, 07:56 PM
  #16  
Classtime 
Senior Member
 
Classtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,852

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 1,162 Times in 691 Posts
Check out The Bicycle Stand instagram. They recently cleaned up a Brian Baylis readying it for Eroica. I know you donít want show quality but they can tone it down😉

Last edited by Classtime; 09-24-22 at 11:41 AM.
Classtime is offline  
Likes For Classtime:
Old 09-23-22, 10:27 PM
  #17  
raceboy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: By theBeach and Palos Verdes, CA adjacent
Posts: 530

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
Bike o Rama in El Segundo. Jack is an awesome dude, loves old bikes, and super fair on prices.
raceboy is offline  
Likes For raceboy:
Old 09-24-22, 05:35 AM
  #18  
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Shady Pines Retirement Fort Wayne, In
Posts: 29,157

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2683 Post(s)
Liked 2,098 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag View Post
Do you mean 20-30 miles from downtown City of Los Angeles?

Saying "LA" encompasses a HUGE area and sometimes just refers to So Cal, in general, which is monstrously large.
Whike stationed in Yuma in the early Ď80s once I got to Redlands I consider that to be Los Angeles. Once I started driving trucks it became when I left the trucks top in Barstow.
__________________
ďOne morning you wake up, the girl is gone, the bikes are gone, all that's left behind is a pair of old tires and a tube of tubular glue, all squeezed out"

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Bianchigirll is offline  
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 09-25-22, 09:19 PM
  #19  
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic
 
Jeff Wills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: other Vancouver
Posts: 9,631
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 440 Times in 269 Posts
Originally Posted by Retoocs View Post
Is Steve Lubanski @ Open Road Bike Shop in Altadena still around? I used to go to his shop in Pasadena back in the 90's. He had a lot of cool bikes back then.
He's still there, behind the Bunny Museum run by his wife. They're doing pretty well:


FWIW: I worked with Steve before he opened the original Open Road Bike Shop on Las Tunas. That was 33 years ago.
__________________
Jeff Wills

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Jeff Wills is offline  
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 09-25-22, 09:31 PM
  #20  
Retoocs
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills View Post
FWIW: I worked with Steve before he opened the original Open Road Bike Shop on Las Tunas. That was 33 years ago.
I couldn't remember where the original shop was. That place was packed. I used to work at Jon's Cyclesport on Rosemead back then when I was in high school. I would envy the stuff that he had in the shop. I do remember he was fast on the Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday rides.
Retoocs is offline  
Likes For Retoocs:
Old 09-26-22, 06:14 PM
  #21  
repechage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 18,125
Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2657 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,246 Posts
Originally Posted by glenfong View Post
And all the ice cream you can eat!
No, two scoops at break, and a pint a week with every paycheck.
The co-workers were UCLA co-eds. Smart and attractive.
Married one a few years later.
repechage is offline  
Likes For repechage:
Old 09-27-22, 09:58 AM
  #22  
tricky 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Upper Left, USA
Posts: 1,946
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 433 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage View Post
No, two scoops at break, and a pint a week with every paycheck.
The co-workers were UCLA co-eds. Smart and attractive.
Married one a few years later.
Sounds like not taking the bike shop job was a smart life choice! lol
tricky is offline  
Likes For tricky:
Old 10-02-22, 11:35 PM
  #23  
nutpowder
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage View Post
No, two scoops at break, and a pint a week with every paycheck.
The co-workers were UCLA co-eds. Smart and attractive.
Married one a few years later.
sounds like a great job!!
nutpowder is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.