Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Reynolds 2-bolt I-beam stem question

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Reynolds 2-bolt I-beam stem question

Old 12-04-22, 10:46 AM
  #1  
beech333
Fuji Fan
Thread Starter
 
beech333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oswego, Il
Posts: 1,866

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts
Reynolds 2-bolt I-beam stem question

I picked up a Reynolds 2-bolt I-beam stem about a year ago and went to use it on an old Hobbs that I am building up, but the stem confused me. I've seen some with slots at the bottom, but mine did not have any, despite the expander bolt and wedge.

Today, I notice a very similar looking one on Ebay, minus the expander bolt and wedge, but you can see the head of the bolt at the top. What were these intended for?

In my case, I plan to use it on a head-clip bike, though I may create my own slots at the bottom for additional support.

For anyone interested, this is what I am referring to.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/23479134919...Bk9SR6il6t-bYQ

The below are snipped from the auction above.


beech333 is offline  
Likes For beech333:
Old 12-04-22, 12:33 PM
  #2  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 12,678
Mentioned: 369 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 1,425 Posts
-----

expander type -






clamp style type -


CENTRIX of France produced a similar appearing model -





-----
juvela is offline  
Likes For juvela:
Old 12-04-22, 01:09 PM
  #3  
bluesteak 
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 41 Posts
I have a similar stem on my 51 Raleigh clubman which I bought already restored. Mine has an expander and a clamp. The clamp requires an extended steerer to work. Someone correct me if I am wrong, since I donít recall ever taking mine apart.

__________________
TigerTom
bluesteak is offline  
Likes For bluesteak:
Old 12-04-22, 02:19 PM
  #4  
beech333
Fuji Fan
Thread Starter
 
beech333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oswego, Il
Posts: 1,866

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela View Post
-----

expander type -






clamp style type -


CENTRIX of France produced a similar appearing model -





-----
I get that there are some without a bolt at all and they are intended to be clamped, but why are some that come with bolts entirely missing a slot to allow the stem to widen as an wedge/expander is tightened. The stems are usually pretty tall, so I have wondered if they were designed for users to cut to the needed length and add their own slots, but that is purely a guess.
beech333 is offline  
Likes For beech333:
Old 12-04-22, 03:23 PM
  #5  
nlerner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 16,379
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3371 Post(s)
Liked 5,064 Times in 2,101 Posts
That’s a new one to me. I’ve had stems designed for headclips but they weren’t drilled for a bolt. The wedge is one of those conical units?
nlerner is offline  
Old 12-06-22, 06:36 PM
  #6  
rhm
multimodal commuter
 
rhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ, NYC, LI
Posts: 19,807

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 566 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1886 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 295 Posts
Those old GB girder stems are hard to find. I used to search eBay for them constantly, and i always got outbid on the few that came up.

The headclip style stem is not British Engineering at its best. It's a weird system, involving a Y-shaped(?) cut in the steerer that aligned with the clamp... and in my experience it didn't work very well. To be fair I've only used the stuff that was already 60 years old and probably worn out, maybe it worked better back in the day.
At any rate on my Fothergill i have a headclip and an expander wedge. By itself the headclip isn't reliable.

OP's stem is an odd one for sure, but who knows. I'm pretty sure it wasn't designed that way. How it got this way is a matter for speciation.
__________________
www.rhmsaddles.com.
rhm is offline  
Likes For rhm:
Old 12-06-22, 06:48 PM
  #7  
beech333
Fuji Fan
Thread Starter
 
beech333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oswego, Il
Posts: 1,866

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm View Post
Those old GB girder stems are hard to find. I used to search eBay for them constantly, and i always got outbid on the few that came up.

The headclip style stem is not British Engineering at its best. It's a weird system, involving a Y-shaped(?) cut in the steerer that aligned with the clamp... and in my experience it didn't work very well. To be fair I've only used the stuff that was already 60 years old and probably worn out, maybe it worked better back in the day.
At any rate on my Fothergill i have a headclip and an expander wedge. By itself the headclip isn't reliable.

OP's stem is an odd one for sure, but who knows. I'm pretty sure it wasn't designed that way. How it got this way is a matter for speciation.
The ebay listing is not my stem. I have one that is similar and I thought it was a modification, but it did not show any signs of being cut shorter. Seeing another one, this just seems weird. I guess I will cut my own notch, then use it on my Hobbs, since I am also not thrilled with the headclip as the only source of support. .
beech333 is offline  
Old 12-07-22, 03:47 AM
  #8  
oneclick 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 2,283
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 941 Times in 575 Posts
Originally Posted by beech333 View Post
The ebay listing is not my stem. I have one that is similar and I thought it was a modification, but it did not show any signs of being cut shorter. Seeing another one, this just seems weird. I guess I will cut my own notch, then use it on my Hobbs, since I am also not thrilled with the headclip as the only source of support. .
I have an expander-type stem (GB something) in a headclip steerer, and yes I tighten them both:

oneclick is offline  
Old 12-07-22, 06:40 AM
  #9  
1989Pre
Standard Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brunswick, Maine
Posts: 3,464

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm View Post
Those old GB girder stems are hard to find.
The GB "girder" stem does have the expander slots at the bottom of the shaft.
If I were O.P., I'd think twice about purchasing the one in his post.
1989Pre is offline  
Old 12-07-22, 12:09 PM
  #10  
beech333
Fuji Fan
Thread Starter
 
beech333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oswego, Il
Posts: 1,866

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre View Post
The GB "girder" stem does have the expander slots at the bottom of the shaft.
If I were O.P., I'd think twice about purchasing the one in his post.
I already have one and have no desire to buy another. When I bought mine on Ebay, it showed the bolt at the top, but did not show that there were no slots at the bottom of the stem, so I assumed the bolt served a purpose.
beech333 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.