Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Gas pipe love and other depravities.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Gas pipe love and other depravities.

Old 01-17-23, 11:56 AM
  #26  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 12,490
Mentioned: 357 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3108 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,338 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames View Post
Loving the double fluting on the crank arm!

Those lugs are interesting. 🤔
-----

this Sakae Ringyo chainset is early enough that it may exhibit the odd three degree taper

-----
juvela is online now  
Old 01-17-23, 12:17 PM
  #27  
zookster
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Dixiana, AL
Posts: 95

Bikes: 1993 Diamond Back Sorrento, 1965 Schwinn Racer 3-speed, 1987 Schwinn High Sierra, 1990 Specialized Sirrus, 1980 Fuji S12-S, 1976 Kabuki Submariner, 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 53 Posts
This one is for sale local to me. I am interested, but is that fork bent? 70's Montgomery Ward 10 speed.


zookster is offline  
Likes For zookster:
Old 01-17-23, 12:18 PM
  #28  
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 24,098

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3201 Post(s)
Liked 2,517 Times in 1,481 Posts
Originally Posted by iab View Post
Gaspipe Umberto Dei. Has a real ugly weld across the BB shell. Threading the BB was an adventure.
IME, pretty much all bike-boom era, low to mid-level Italian bikes had a nasty weld seam across the bottom bracket shell.
JohnDThompson is offline  
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 01-17-23, 12:22 PM
  #29  
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen
 
Ironfish653's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: MC-778, 6250 fsw
Posts: 1,981

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked 713 Times in 434 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames View Post
Loving the double fluting on the crank arm!

Those lugs are interesting. 🤔
That's the Bridgestone Diecast (later Techniart) construction;. The main tubes, whether Hi-ten, CroMo, Stainless or in this case, Aluminum, are swedged on the ends and placed in a jig, where the aluminum "lugs" are cast in place. It's a sturdy, if slightly overbuilt bike; the AL main tubes are extra thick and they have a steel reinforcing spline at the ends. !That bike, as it sits, weighs just a tick under 30 lbs. Apparently, they were concerned that aluminum might not be strong enough, so they used a lot of it.
Ironfish653 is offline  
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 01-17-23, 12:46 PM
  #30  
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist
 
Deal4Fuji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,619

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 777 Posts


My 1st real bike purchased from a bike store is entry level and I think considered gas pipe. I still have this '82 Fuji Supreme with ValLite 414 (which is still Hi10 I think). I'm kind of proud of this gas pipe on gas pipe photo Also have a '75 Continental & '73 Grand Prix and ride them proudly just as they came from the showroom except for turkey levers & saddles.

In better light and matching tires

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 01-18-23 at 07:14 AM.
Deal4Fuji is online now  
Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 01-17-23, 01:23 PM
  #31  
3speedslow
Senior Member
 
3speedslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 9,168

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1892 Post(s)
Liked 890 Times in 546 Posts
Mine as I found it, 70’s Puch built for Sears. Still riding it with parts upgraded.

3speedslow is offline  
Old 01-17-23, 02:54 PM
  #32  
Wildwood
Veteran, Pacifist
 
Wildwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 12,214

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 271 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3367 Post(s)
Liked 3,260 Times in 1,593 Posts
Does Hi-Ten count as gas pipe?
Not in my book, but likely on this forum.


Gives up about 2 pounds over a more refined tubeset for frame + fork. And since it is NOS ‘90s with internal rear brake cable routing, I built it with Campy Veloce Ergo.

More pics if it quals as gas pipe.

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-17-23 at 02:58 PM.
Wildwood is offline  
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 01-17-23, 04:17 PM
  #33  
Murray Missile 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Murray Missile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 700 Ft. above sea level.
Posts: 3,017

Bikes: Not as many as there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88 View Post


73 Raleigh Supercourse double dingle speed. From a scrap heap
Hmmmm, I don't know.......... Super Course, Reynolds 531 main triangle, might be grounds for disqualification.......... I guess we can let it pass on the stamped dropouts though.
__________________
".....distasteful and easily triggered."
Murray Missile is offline  
Likes For Murray Missile:
Old 01-17-23, 04:34 PM
  #34  
Murray Missile 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Murray Missile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 700 Ft. above sea level.
Posts: 3,017

Bikes: Not as many as there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji View Post


My 1st real bike purchased from a bike store is entry level and I think considered gas pipe. I still have this '82 Fuji Supreme with ValLite 414 (which is still Hi10 I think). I'm kind of proud of this gas pipe on gas pipe photo Also have a '75 Continental & '73 Grand Prix and ride them proudly just as they came from the showroom except for turkey levers & saddles.
I had a Supreme way back when. I can't believe I actually rode it with that much seat post showing and a Technomic stem! I'm not that tall LOL, not even close. I see so many things on that bike I woudn't do now............

__________________
".....distasteful and easily triggered."
Murray Missile is offline  
Likes For Murray Missile:
Old 01-17-23, 08:04 PM
  #35  
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bike
 
Chuck M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,394

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 641 Posts
This bike checks of most of the boxes in the OP having a hi-tensile frame, steel wheels, stem shifters, safety levers, and spoke protector. I did replace the foam grips with cotton bar tape and I removed the Pletscher kickstand. And I don't give a damn what anyone thinks of Takara, I had one in high school and I have two of them now. Solid, bulletproof bikes typical of the bike boom. But this one I bought was so close to N.O.S. I wanted it even though it is a bit too small for me.

__________________
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels." -- Heinz Stücke

Chuck M is offline  
Likes For Chuck M:
Old 01-18-23, 07:02 PM
  #36  
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.
 
bwilli88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kampong Cham, Cambodia but I have quite a few in Lancaster, PA
Posts: 3,136

Bikes: Bikes in USA; 73 Raleigh SuperCourse dingle speed, 72 Raleigh GranSport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 82 Raleigh RRA.

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 424 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile View Post
Hmmmm, I don't know.......... Super Course, Reynolds 531 main triangle, might be grounds for disqualification.......... I guess we can let it pass on the stamped dropouts though.
It rides just like my 74 Grand Prix, and I forget that it has that 531 Main.
So here is my Grand Prix.

__________________
Cambodia bikes, 83 Gazelle Opafiets, A Klunker, Maxwell All-road, Bridgestone SRAM 2 speed, 2012 Fuji Stratos.
bwilli88 is offline  
Old 01-18-23, 07:47 PM
  #37  
uncle uncle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: south kansas america
Posts: 1,878

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M View Post
I always like my specials guaranteed.
uncle uncle is offline  
Likes For uncle uncle:
Old 01-18-23, 08:59 PM
  #38  
Murray Missile 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Murray Missile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 700 Ft. above sea level.
Posts: 3,017

Bikes: Not as many as there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88 View Post
It rides just like my 74 Grand Prix, and I forget that it has that 531 Main.
So here is my Grand Prix.

THAT'S more like it! I should probably include my '72 Gitane Interclub. It's currently undergonig a complete renovation and conversion to single speed. I have around 6 or 7 ongoing projects,I keep telling myself to finish the ones I've lready started but I don't listen.


Last edited by Murray Missile; 01-19-23 at 05:18 AM.
Murray Missile is offline  
Old 01-18-23, 09:21 PM
  #39  
beng1
Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 117 Posts
I don't think bikes with lugged frames count as being gas pipe. And any bike with aluminum crank arms or rims is definitely not a low-end bike.
The common bikes sold by retailers in the 60s/70s, at department and hardware stores to people who wanted to spend the least money, did not have lugged frames and had hardly any alloy parts at all, and they weighed 35-40 pounds.

A lugged frame bike may have straight-gauge tubing, but it is thinner wall than the tubing used on bikes that did not use lugs such as the Huffy, AMF , Columbia and low-end Schwinn bikes. The low-end Schwinn's were real anchors, but they were usually more expensive than the other USA made bikes, so a lot of blue-collar kids did not get them.

My parents bought me a Columbia 10-speed back in the 70s and it had no frame lugs of course, and it had almost no alloy components at all that I can remember, usually only the stem and some shifting components might be alloy on these bikes, but not all of them. I can't remember what happened to my Columbia after I totaled it out in a bad wreck around 1979 where I smashed my face into the pavement and got amnesia for a while. The bike was scrapped for sure, but I don't remember how, usually I can remember stuff like that. There was a pond back in the woods that most metal scrap ended up in, good chance it is in there.

Anyway, a few years ago I bought this 1973 Huffy because it was my size and the same quality as my old Columbia, and I have put over 3000 miles on it since then, most of this forum are familiar with it. It is a very fast well sorted bike, not the best handling, but good enough;


beng1 is offline  
Likes For beng1:
Old 01-18-23, 10:29 PM
  #40  
AdventureManCO 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Front Range CO
Posts: 624

Bikes: '88 Novara Randonee, 1981 Trek 957, 1968 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raliegh Super Course, 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert, 1987 Trek 560 Pro Series, 1972 Dawes Galaxy, 1996 Schwinn Homegrown, 1996 Trek 990

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 357 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1 View Post
I don't think bikes with lugged frames count as being gas pipe. And any bike with aluminum crank arms or rims is definitely not a low-end bike.
The common bikes sold by retailers in the 60s/70s, at department and hardware stores to people who wanted to spend the least money, did not have lugged frames and had hardly any alloy parts at all, and they weighed 35-40 pounds.

A lugged frame bike may have straight-gauge tubing, but it is thinner wall than the tubing used on bikes that did not use lugs such as the Huffy, AMF , Columbia and low-end Schwinn bikes. The low-end Schwinn's were real anchors, but they were usually more expensive than the other USA made bikes, so a lot of blue-collar kids did not get them.

My parents bought me a Columbia 10-speed back in the 70s and it had no frame lugs of course, and it had almost no alloy components at all that I can remember, usually only the stem and some shifting components might be alloy on these bikes, but not all of them. I can't remember what happened to my Columbia after I totaled it out in a bad wreck around 1979 where I smashed my face into the pavement and got amnesia for a while. The bike was scrapped for sure, but I don't remember how, usually I can remember stuff like that. There was a pond back in the woods that most metal scrap ended up in, good chance it is in there.

Anyway, a few years ago I bought this 1973 Huffy because it was my size and the same quality as my old Columbia, and I have put over 3000 miles on it since then, most of this forum are familiar with it. It is a very fast well sorted bike, not the best handling, but good enough;


Respect.
AdventureManCO is offline  
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 01-19-23, 03:00 AM
  #41  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 11,817

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3691 Post(s)
Liked 4,253 Times in 2,541 Posts
Atalla






Bianchi



merziac is offline  
Likes For merziac:
Old 01-19-23, 08:22 AM
  #42  
Mr. 66
Senior Member
 
Mr. 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,704
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 1,113 Times in 648 Posts
It been a couple of years since this was last used
Mr. 66 is online now  
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 01-19-23, 08:46 AM
  #43  
Sierra
Uff Da!
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,147
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 64 Posts
For me it's pure nostalgia.
When I became aware of 10 speed derailleur equipped bikes as an 11 year old in 1963 I thought they were really exotic I was riding a 3 speed Schwinn Traveler at the time.
I picked up a brochure from the neighborhood Schwinn dealer and saw the 15 speed Sierra & Superior models. Now those were just hyper-exotic!
I kept my eyes open for one for decades but they were not to be found in my area.
With the advent of the internet I was finally able to find one.
Seems kind of stupid now, but when I joined this forum in 2003 I used the bike model name as my forum name.
I have many better bikes now, but I still cast my eyes fondly on this one. It takes me back to being 11-12 years old, when life was much simpler.
My 1963 Schwinn Sierra(not bone stock).

Sierra is offline  
Old 01-19-23, 08:46 AM
  #44  
Pompiere
Senior Member
 
Pompiere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 3,056

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M View Post
This bike checks of most of the boxes in the OP having a hi-tensile frame, steel wheels, stem shifters, safety levers, and spoke protector. I did replace the foam grips with cotton bar tape and I removed the Pletscher kickstand. And I don't give a damn what anyone thinks of Takara, I had one in high school and I have two of them now. Solid, bulletproof bikes typical of the bike boom. But this one I bought was so close to N.O.S. I wanted it even though it is a bit too small for me.
I bought this Takara at a thrift store to scavenge some parts. Mainly, I wanted the crank for my Kabuki, plus it had alloy wheels and it was only $5. After I took off what I wanted, I used parts from the bin to make it back into a useful bike. Since the frame was too small, I used a riser stem and flat bars. The weather has been crappy, so I I haven't ridden more than to the corner and back, but it looks promising so far.


Takara Advantage
Pompiere is offline  
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 01-19-23, 10:06 AM
  #45  
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race
 
dddd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 8,640

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 616 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66 View Post
It been a couple of years since this was last used
Wouldn't a model like yours have had at least Durifort tubing?

Nice example I have to say! Those 60's Geminianis offer a fine riding experience.
dddd is offline  
Old 01-19-23, 10:49 AM
  #46  
Mr. 66
Senior Member
 
Mr. 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,704
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 1,113 Times in 648 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Wouldn't a model like yours have had at least Durifort tubing?

Nice example I have to say! Those 60's Geminianis offer a fine riding experience.
The fork is Durifort, the frame is labeled Flash with a lighting bolt. If I recall correctly the frame and fork weight with hs was 7.5 lbs.

And yes rides very fine!! The rd needs some alignment it has some clutter in the lower gears. The bars have some sag, I have some Pivo bars, close to period correct, that may get called into duty for the green machine. Thanks
Mr. 66 is online now  
Old 01-19-23, 11:20 AM
  #47  
SoCaled 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,260

Bikes: 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1983 Trek 720, 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Schwinn Circuit, 1960's Paragon, 1980's Peugeot - City, US & Canyon Express & (6), 87 Sirrus

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 580 Posts
OK I will play, bought this a while back for the thumb shifters, made the mistake of inflating the tires and taking it for a ride. Reminds me of a diesel Mercedes, takes some effort to get it going but once you do feels unstoppable. Thumb shifters work great, very different than my other bikes, but a fun ride.

Sorry for the lousy (nds) pic, too lazy to drag it out of the stairwell
SoCaled is offline  
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 01-19-23, 11:27 AM
  #48  
jjames1452 
Senior Member
 
jjames1452's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 1,385

Bikes: Trek 720, Trek 620, Trek 520, Steel Schwinns, AD Puch, Kona, Nishiki Pro, All City Disc Spacehorse, Waterford

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 48 Posts
Schwinn Varsity

Back in the mid-1980's my brother rode TOSRV on a blue Varsity. He had no issues. I rode it on my custom built (by me) Schwinn Traveler with a Suntour drive including sealed bearing hubs laced to Araya Al wheels. (I loved that bike - still love Suntour!!!!)
jjames1452 is offline  
Likes For jjames1452:
Old 01-19-23, 12:09 PM
  #49  
Murray Missile 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Murray Missile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 700 Ft. above sea level.
Posts: 3,017

Bikes: Not as many as there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
Seems kind of stupid now, but when I joined this forum in 2003 I used the bike model name as my forum name.
Just be glad you weren't feeling nostalgic about some behemoth with tanks and a luggage rack you had in grade school...........
__________________
".....distasteful and easily triggered."
Murray Missile is offline  
Likes For Murray Missile:
Old 01-19-23, 03:04 PM
  #50  
1989Pre
Standard Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brunswick, Maine
Posts: 3,299

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 242 Times in 154 Posts
On Christmas morning, 1970, I saw the most glorious thing ever: A shiny, red "Sears Adult Bicycle", with a gas-tank headlight, streamers, saddlebag and a bell. I wish I still had it.
1989Pre is offline  
Likes For 1989Pre:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.