Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Latest Find 1969-70 Raleigh Competition

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Latest Find 1969-70 Raleigh Competition

Old 01-19-23, 04:41 PM
  #26  
sfazio 
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
sfazio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Northern California
Posts: 95

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 4.5, 1982 Austro Daimler SLE, 1970 Peugeot PX10, 1977 PX-10, 1985 Centurion Ironman, 1970 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowride79 View Post
From Sheldon Brown; 1969 catalog. Beautiful bike and wonderful find. Congratulations!
Thanks! Hope to have this looking like that picture soon!
sfazio is offline  
Old 01-19-23, 04:43 PM
  #27  
sfazio 
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
sfazio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Northern California
Posts: 95

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 4.5, 1982 Austro Daimler SLE, 1970 Peugeot PX10, 1977 PX-10, 1985 Centurion Ironman, 1970 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by HelpSingularity View Post
That should clean up real nice with a little elbow grease. Cool ride.
I think so too--always my favorite part!
sfazio is offline  
Old 01-19-23, 04:44 PM
  #28  
sfazio 
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
sfazio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Northern California
Posts: 95

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 4.5, 1982 Austro Daimler SLE, 1970 Peugeot PX10, 1977 PX-10, 1985 Centurion Ironman, 1970 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf View Post
I think you got an excellent deal for $150. I have paid that much for notable frames before, and I have felt like the prices were fair. I bought a 73 Raleigh Competition frame last year for $50, and it's in fair condition with a missing derailleur hanger (that I knew about) and a small crack at the seat post collar (which I didn't). So yes, your complete bike in that condition was a steal**. I look forward to seeing it cleaned up!

**Especially if it fits...
Thanks!
sfazio is offline  
Old 01-21-23, 05:27 AM
  #29  
sbarner
Paramount Fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vermont
Posts: 109

Bikes: Paramounts, Raleigh Pros, Colnago, DeRosa, Gios, Masis, Pinarello, R. Sachs, Look, D. Moulton, Witcomb, Motobecane, Bianchis, Fat City, Frejus, Follis, Waterford, Litespeed, d'Autremont, others, mostly '70s-'80s

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by sfazio View Post
Thanks so much for the response--the seller wasn't a bike guy, this was left in his garage by the original owner and he wanted it gone--he started at $500--he lives an hour away from me and I am in the middle of one project and have another waiting after that bike is done--I really didn't "need" another project but I was drawn to the bike it so I set a low price half hoping he would tell me to pound sand and make the decision for me. When he eventually told me he would meet my price I ran down there and scooped it up before he came to his senses. It's a great lesson in not falling in love too much when negotiating but I know I would have been disappointed seeing someone else get it. His pics didn't do it justice and I was really thrilled when I saw in in person.


Attached is a pic of the serial number--based on what I am hearing it seems like a pretty straight forward 1970, your story is really interesting and just goes to show how difficult it can be to date these old bikes, I have three Peugeot's and those date's are all educated guesses--it's crazy how many companies were just in too much of a hurry to jot some of this stuff down! Here is also a better look at the seat cluster--I have never seen a wrap around attachment like this on seat stays and the brake holder is interesting as well. Thanks for the tip on the chrome tape and paint--there are a few spots that could use a touch up but otherwise there are no dents and the paint should shine up nicely once properly cleaned. Your bike looks fantastic--eager to get this one up and running.






This is the seat cluster I remember from the 1970s Competitions, though I don't think I've ever seen a '69-'70 model in person. Nor have I seen one with that neat pinstriping. Raleigh had some slightly different models for domestic and European sales, so the one with the E serial number could have been one of those, dressed up to sell as a Competition. The Reynolds decal on that bike indicates 531 main tubes, while the decal on yours matches the catalog description of a full-531 frameset. I could easily believe that a '67 frame sat around for a year or two before leaving the factory, as that was pre-Bike Boom and upper-end racing bicycles were not hot sellers, yet.

I think $150 is a fine price for this machine, It's free money for the seller, who is lucky he found a local buyer at all, and a good price for you. I would have no buyer's remorse if I had scored it. I like the Nervex professional lugs better than the Capellas of the later Competiitions, and the workmanship before 1973 on the Carleton bikes was generally nicer than you find during the Boom years. I think your bike and the one Andy_K has represent an existing Carleton model that later did a 3-way split with the Pro to become the Competition and the International.
sbarner is offline  
Old 01-21-23, 10:36 AM
  #30  
daka
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 396

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course x2, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 142 Posts
The seat cluster goes back to the Carlton Catalina and it's derivative, the Raleigh Grand Prix. As far as I know, that wraparound piece was used on every post-Lenton Grand Prix from the late 60s into the '80s. I have always liked the way it looks and it's use spares you from the possibility of semi-detached seat-stay caps that are not uncommon on other Carlton products



daka is offline  
Old 01-21-23, 11:22 AM
  #31  
tfbike 
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Wellington, Co
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Looks like a great deal and will be fun to clean up.
These early 70's Raleighs are all over the place. My 71-72 Lilac Comp has an F serial number but all the Lilacs I have seen are 72. I have seen one 71 Comp, white and blue with painted Nervex lugs. The 69-70s I have noticed have a flat rear brake bridge vs the more common round tubing. So many suttle differences.
And the Competicion Ref 32 cranks are 50.8 bcd if I remember. I think the rings from a TA or Stronglight might be able to be modified, so folks like me in northern Colorado with mountains could find smaller rings. Zeus just had to be different.

Tom in Wellington, Co.
tfbike is offline  
Old 01-22-23, 08:04 AM
  #32  
WongaTaa
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Virginia USA
Posts: 13

Bikes: Raleigh Competition 1973

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
She’s a beauty. Some thoughts…

Be careful with your tools. I have a ’73, and it’s a mishmash of English and metric. The TA crank dictated use of (English-made!) French-threaded pedals. You might want to find out if those Atom pedals are English or French thread – measure carefully, because the difference is slight, until you try to use the wrong pedal in the crank. Or replace the arms and try to use the original pedals.

Oh, and the bolt on the GB stem, if it’s like mine, is 15/32”. How many grams did they save by not making it half inch??? Adjustable wrench to the rescue!

Those look like Carlton hoods. Tasty! Scrub those babies up and they’ll treat you right. I don’t think I’ve ever removed mine – it’s a bear of a job! But I wouldn’t want to cut ‘em, unless they’re headed for the bin!

I haven’t seen tire savers in a dog’s age. If you find a source for these, let us all know.

Be careful with the bar plugs, if you want to preserve the originals. Mine simply disintegrated. Crumbled into little dust particles when I tried to take them out. I’m surprised the expander bolt approach isn’t more common today, though made of a non-disintegrating material.

It’s hard to believe we used to mangle our paint and decals with steel clamps for pumps and bottle cages. If you touch up the paint and polish the chrome, I have a tip. For the paint/chrome interfaces on the blades and stays, marine pinstriping looks great. No worries about paint smearing, uneven lines, etc. If you message me, I’ll be glad to mail you some lengths. I think the smallest spool I could get was 10m, of which I only used a few cm. The ’73 didn’t have chromed stays, or I’d have used a few cm. more.
WongaTaa is offline  
Old 01-23-23, 11:44 AM
  #33  
sfazio 
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
sfazio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Northern California
Posts: 95

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 4.5, 1982 Austro Daimler SLE, 1970 Peugeot PX10, 1977 PX-10, 1985 Centurion Ironman, 1970 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by WongaTaa View Post
She’s a beauty. Some thoughts…

Be careful with your tools. I have a ’73, and it’s a mishmash of English and metric. The TA crank dictated use of (English-made!) French-threaded pedals. You might want to find out if those Atom pedals are English or French thread – measure carefully, because the difference is slight, until you try to use the wrong pedal in the crank. Or replace the arms and try to use the original pedals.

Oh, and the bolt on the GB stem, if it’s like mine, is 15/32”. How many grams did they save by not making it half inch??? Adjustable wrench to the rescue!

Those look like Carlton hoods. Tasty! Scrub those babies up and they’ll treat you right. I don’t think I’ve ever removed mine – it’s a bear of a job! But I wouldn’t want to cut ‘em, unless they’re headed for the bin!

I haven’t seen tire savers in a dog’s age. If you find a source for these, let us all know.

Be careful with the bar plugs, if you want to preserve the originals. Mine simply disintegrated. Crumbled into little dust particles when I tried to take them out. I’m surprised the expander bolt approach isn’t more common today, though made of a non-disintegrating material.

It’s hard to believe we used to mangle our paint and decals with steel clamps for pumps and bottle cages. If you touch up the paint and polish the chrome, I have a tip. For the paint/chrome interfaces on the blades and stays, marine pinstriping looks great. No worries about paint smearing, uneven lines, etc. If you message me, I’ll be glad to mail you some lengths. I think the smallest spool I could get was 10m, of which I only used a few cm. The ’73 didn’t have chromed stays, or I’d have used a few cm. more.
All good tips, thanks so much! Below are pics of the hoods--they are in shockingly good shape, no cracks and still plenty of life in them, I will clean them up and keep them right where they are. Not sure how to tell if they are Carlton hoods, I didn't see any markings but they could always be hidden by the grime, can you tell by looking at them? It's always painful to see clamps on decals and paint but that bottle holder is pretty cool, my plan is to shine it up and keep it right where it is. Not sure about the pump--of course the clamp is right on top of the 531 decal (ugh!) but I don't know if it was sold with the bike or aftermarket. It's a cool pump with a Campy end but the blemishes on it are pretty distracting. I don't want to mess with the paint on the bike other than a thorough clean and polish but I will have to paint that pump if I keep it on the bike. Anything else that comes to mind please let me know--I am finishing another bike and probably have another few weeks before I will get to this one--I do them one at a time or things get out of hand in my workshop in a hurry .


sfazio is offline  
Old 01-23-23, 11:51 AM
  #34  
sfazio 
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
sfazio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Northern California
Posts: 95

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 4.5, 1982 Austro Daimler SLE, 1970 Peugeot PX10, 1977 PX-10, 1985 Centurion Ironman, 1970 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by daka View Post
The seat cluster goes back to the Carlton Catalina and it's derivative, the Raleigh Grand Prix. As far as I know, that wraparound piece was used on every post-Lenton Grand Prix from the late 60s into the '80s. I have always liked the way it looks and it's use spares you from the possibility of semi-detached seat-stay caps that are not uncommon on other Carlton products



I've never seen the wraparound before and honestly I didn't notice it until I got it home, I really like it and if it adds strength so much the better!
sfazio is offline  
Old 01-23-23, 06:24 PM
  #35  
Pcampeau
Senior Member
 
Pcampeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 756

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course. 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by sfazio View Post
All good tips, thanks so much! Below are pics of the hoods--they are in shockingly good shape, no cracks and still plenty of life in them, I will clean them up and keep them right where they are. Not sure how to tell if they are Carlton hoods, I didn't see any markings but they could always be hidden by the grime, can you tell by looking at them? It's always painful to see clamps on decals and paint but that bottle holder is pretty cool, my plan is to shine it up and keep it right where it is. Not sure about the pump--of course the clamp is right on top of the 531 decal (ugh!) but I don't know if it was sold with the bike or aftermarket. It's a cool pump with a Campy end but the blemishes on it are pretty distracting. I don't want to mess with the paint on the bike other than a thorough clean and polish but I will have to paint that pump if I keep it on the bike. Anything else that comes to mind please let me know--I am finishing another bike and probably have another few weeks before I will get to this one--I do them one at a time or things get out of hand in my workshop in a hurry .
Those are indeed Carlton hoods. Not every set of them has the “Carlton” script across them. I’ve got the same exact hoods on my 75 International. They’re quite common and indestructible under normal use. They'll likely last as long as the bike does.
Pcampeau is offline  
Old 01-23-23, 11:58 PM
  #36  
sfazio 
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
sfazio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Northern California
Posts: 95

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 4.5, 1982 Austro Daimler SLE, 1970 Peugeot PX10, 1977 PX-10, 1985 Centurion Ironman, 1970 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Pcampeau View Post
Those are indeed Carlton hoods. Not every set of them has the “Carlton” script across them. I’ve got the same exact hoods on my 75 International. They’re quite common and indestructible under normal use. They'll likely last as long as the bike does.
Thanks!
sfazio is offline  
Old 01-24-23, 02:39 PM
  #37  
WongaTaa
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Virginia USA
Posts: 13

Bikes: Raleigh Competition 1973

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Good news on the Carlton hoods. I got a pic of mine here, and it does have the script. (I'm no photographer.)

Also, about the pinstripe. Crisp, clean, and even. It's good looking, even if it wouldn't hold up to microscopic scrutiny in some bicycle beauty pageant.

PS- Wow, I CAN upload images after ten posts!
WongaTaa is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.