Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike shipping what is the best option in April 2023

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike shipping what is the best option in April 2023

Old 04-27-23, 11:53 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,445

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Liked 3,963 Times in 1,936 Posts
Bike shipping what is the best option in April 2023

I know there are many threads with this info - I have read some of them in the past, I can't seem to find a current one. I need to ship a bike from upstate NY to LA, CA. Anyone have the info on best option currently?
SoCaled is online now  
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 04-27-23, 01:00 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,445

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Liked 3,963 Times in 1,936 Posts
At bikeflights if I enter the the "large box" size of 63"x13"x33" & 45lbs, I get a UPS ground ship price of $188.95 - This seems like the number I have seen people here toss around recently?
If I enter the same info into Fedex.com I get $526.79?
I called the local Trek store (which wiped out our locals) they tell me $80 to break down & pack and $40 to ship - Fedex? (supposedly with the same specs above) How can that be?

any other suggestions would be great

I just read a great thread on BF on shipping, but can not find it again
SoCaled is online now  
Old 04-27-23, 01:17 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 13,183

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4552 Post(s)
Liked 6,512 Times in 3,737 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaled
I know there are many threads with this info - I have read some of them in the past, I can't seem to find a current one. I need to ship a bike from upstate NY to LA, CA. Anyone have the info on best option currently?


Frames only.

I just had one shipped AZ to PDX, $59 through efbay

Also one from NJ, $125

And awhile back from CO, $159

Complete bike from NOLA, $200

merziac is offline  
Likes For merziac:
Old 04-27-23, 01:21 PM
  #4  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 373

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Inter, '98 Tommasini, '83 Trek 500, 83 Trek 720 '

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 110 Posts
If you are flying, you might consider United they have a very bike friendly policy, because we just shopped all the airlines ready for Eroica Cali later this year, Southwest and Jet Blue had a very small box size limit i think it was 803 inches which is a kiddies box size, whereas United will ship a bicycle as normal luggage for their standard price of $35.00 even if its oversize dimensions , we are bringing two bikes so that's a good deal for u. We did United last year and that's what they did, the counter person seemed a little confused as to why it was so cheap when she put it in the system, but the supervisor said "no that's correct" and even tried to save us more money by shipping them as first piece instead of subsequent pieces of luggage, this was in cardboard boxes from the LBS, that were 108 inches overall size.

They do require as do all airline you remove pedals and pack safely and you have to sign a damage waiver as its in cardboard not a hard case.
Gary12000 is offline  
Likes For Gary12000:
Old 04-27-23, 01:23 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 13,183

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4552 Post(s)
Liked 6,512 Times in 3,737 Posts
$543 in shipping for 3 frames and one complete in the last year.
merziac is offline  
Old 04-27-23, 01:32 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 13,183

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4552 Post(s)
Liked 6,512 Times in 3,737 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaled
At bikeflights if I enter the the "large box" size of 63"x13"x33" & 45lbs, I get a UPS ground ship price of $188.95 - This seems like the number I have seen people here toss around recently?
If I enter the same info into Fedex.com I get $526.79?
I called the local Trek store (which wiped out our locals) they tell me $80 to break down & pack and $40 to ship - Fedex? (supposedly with the same specs above) How can that be?

any other suggestions would be great

I just read a great thread on BF on shipping, but can not find it again
At these prices, we have to get them cheap, want them really bad or both.
merziac is offline  
Likes For merziac:
Old 04-27-23, 01:37 PM
  #7  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 37 Posts
I recently shipped a bike from Ca. to Mi. The box I had was 57x32x8 and I figured the weight at 35lbs. Bikeflights wanted $190. I measured things and when I cut the box down to 46x32x9 it was $90. The box got fatter because the tires so I used 9" width. If I changed the width from 9 to 10" the price went back to $190. Moral of the story. Messing with the box dimensions is what it is all about.
356geoff is offline  
Old 04-27-23, 01:44 PM
  #8  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Desert Southwest
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 63 Posts
For a recent bicycle frame shipment, Pirateship was slightly less expensive than BikeFlights.

The overall dimensions of the box make a BIG difference in the pricing: there is a surcharge
beyond a certain size.
cyclophilia is offline  
Likes For cyclophilia:
Old 04-27-23, 03:18 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,445

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Liked 3,963 Times in 1,936 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
$543 in shipping for 3 frames and one complete in the last year.
I am impressed you have kept it to only 3 frames and a bike this year!
SoCaled is online now  
Old 04-27-23, 03:28 PM
  #10  
seŮor miembro
 
SurferRosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 6,669

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3926 Post(s)
Liked 6,575 Times in 3,256 Posts
I believe Greyhound will still ship your bike for you, station to station*, on the cheap. And if you don't have a box, some stations can even sell you one of those for like $10.

* Speaking of...

SurferRosa is offline  
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 04-27-23, 03:32 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 13,183

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4552 Post(s)
Liked 6,512 Times in 3,737 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaled
I am impressed you have kept it to only 3 frames and a bike this year!
Those were only the ones I had to ship in the last 12 mos or so.....
merziac is offline  
Likes For merziac:
Old 04-27-23, 07:10 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,445

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Liked 3,963 Times in 1,936 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaled
I call the local Trek store (which wiped out our locals) they tell me $80 to break down & pack and $40 to ship - FedEx? (supposedly with the same specs above) How can that be?
So, I ride my bike down to the Trek store, tell them I had called earlier about bike packing/shipping, they direct me to the service area. Five employees there, all ignore me.
Finally one asks "Can I help you with something?" sounding slightly annoyed.
I said, "I called earlier about bike packing and shipping"
he replies "Yeah, I overheard that conversation and tried to get his attention but he wouldn't listen . . .we don't ship bikes"
I replied, "That's strange as the person I spoke to had quoted the shipping price, with dimensions and weight."
the employee replies, "Yeah he didn't know what he is talking about, we don't ship" "But you can talk to him he is right there" and points
I reply, "If you know better, I don't need to waste any more time"
the employee replies, "Well, he is the manager"
Manager is now walking over to us and says, "Uh sorry bro . . . I totally blew that one, I checked on our SOP and we don't ship"

I knew I didn't want to do business with a corporate death burger, but didn't know it was this bad.
SoCaled is online now  
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 04-28-23, 07:41 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Kobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Schwenksville, Pa
Posts: 2,777
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 183 Posts
I haven't shipped a bike in over a year but last time I did I used shipbikes.com. They use Fedex ground which is usually cheaper than UPS for me.
__________________
80 Mercian Olympic, 92 DB Overdrive, '07 Rivendell AHH, '16 Clockwork All-Rounder
Kobe is offline  
Old 04-28-23, 08:59 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,212
Mentioned: 483 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3831 Post(s)
Liked 6,836 Times in 2,649 Posts
Unfortunately, ship.bikes isn't any longer in the bike shipping business. They will sell you a bike box, however. BikeFlights was cheaper when it used FedEx, but now ships through UPS, as does PirateShip. I've mostly used the latter.
nlerner is online now  
Likes For nlerner:
Old 04-28-23, 09:05 AM
  #15  
Monkey Boy
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 245

Bikes: '22 Surly Straggler, '15 Breezer Downtown EX, '19 Motobecane Record (fixie)

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts
FWIW...

I recently shipped a bike from Virginia to Nevada for ~$78. The best rate that I got was from UPS, but I got it by using PayPal's ShipStation. For whatever reason, they give me excellent rates, and it's now the only way I ship. I log into PayPal, then go to ShipStation and get my quote there. I then just dropped it off to my local UPS store. Fortunately for me, I already had a workable box, but it worked out cheaper and better than I expected.

peace
__________________
Artist | Musician | Bass Player
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. (o.o)
RobertUI is offline  
Likes For RobertUI:
Old 04-28-23, 09:18 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 7,736

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 2,707 Times in 1,261 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I believe Greyhound will still ship your bike for you, station to station*, on the cheap. And if you don't have a box, some stations can even sell you one of those for like $10.

* Speaking of...

https://youtu.be/2WoYXkNRJp8
Short trip it works, longer one increases the chances of loading/unloading and disappearing. Not sure if Amtrak would work for you.
curbtender is offline  
Likes For curbtender:
Old 04-28-23, 10:27 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 13,183

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4552 Post(s)
Liked 6,512 Times in 3,737 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaled
So, I ride my bike down to the Trek store, tell them I had called earlier about bike packing/shipping, they direct me to the service area. Five employees there, all ignore me.
Finally one asks "Can I help you with something?" sounding slightly annoyed.
I said, "I called earlier about bike packing and shipping"
he replies "Yeah, I overheard that conversation and tried to get his attention but he wouldn't listen . . .we don't ship bikes"
I replied, "That's strange as the person I spoke to had quoted the shipping price, with dimensions and weight."
the employee replies, "Yeah he didn't know what he is talking about, we don't ship" "But you can talk to him he is right there" and points
I reply, "If you know better, I don't need to waste any more time"
the employee replies, "Well, he is the manager"
Manager is now walking over to us and says, "Uh sorry bro . . . I totally blew that one, I checked on our SOP and we don't ship"

I knew I didn't want to do business with a corporate death burger, but didn't know it was this bad.
Agreed, however this could be BS.

Trek has a travel division and I would bet they pack and ship for that so.....

I would raise cane with corporate just for fun.
merziac is offline  
Old 04-28-23, 11:46 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
fender1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Berwyn PA
Posts: 6,413

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 236 Posts
I shipped a couple of larger, complete bikes using bikeflights in the recent past. I broke the bikes all the way down and zipped tied the wheels to the frame to make the package as small as possible. Cost was $104 from Philadelphia to Portland. It was a complete,1971 International, 25" frame in December of 2022.

It pretty much put me off shipping complete bikes anymore. Between the cost, which shrinks your pool of potential buyers, to the geometric puzzle of getting all this stuff in the smallest box possible and delivered safely, it became unfun.

Last edited by fender1; 04-28-23 at 01:00 PM.
fender1 is offline  
Likes For fender1:
Old 04-28-23, 12:03 PM
  #19  
iab
Senior Member
 
iab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NW Burbs, Chicago
Posts: 12,092
Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3035 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 1,433 Posts
Just got a quote from Pirate Ship. UPS. Chicago to Buffalo. Box is 52x31x8. Insured at $500. $56.
iab is offline  
Likes For iab:
Old 04-28-23, 12:53 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 13,183

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4552 Post(s)
Liked 6,512 Times in 3,737 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
I shipped a could of larger, complete bikes using bikeflights in the recent past. I broke the bikes all the way down and zipped tied the wheels to the frame to make the package as small as possible. I was $104 from Philadelphia to Portland. It was a complete 1971 International, 25" frame in December of 2022. It pretty much put me off shipping complete bikes anymore. Between the cost, which shrinks your pool of potential buyers, to the geometric puzzle of getting all this stuff in the smallest box possible and delivered safely it became unfun.
"delivered safely", moving target, literally and figuratively.

Insurance is imperative and a bargain albeit a huge hassle in the end.
merziac is offline  
Likes For merziac:
Old 04-28-23, 01:08 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,212
Mentioned: 483 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3831 Post(s)
Liked 6,836 Times in 2,649 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I believe Greyhound will still ship your bike for you, station to station*, on the cheap. And if you don't have a box, some stations can even sell you one of those for like $10.
I've taken to standing outside the airport with a bike packed up, trying to find a passenger who'll transport it as checked luggage for $30. Getting it to the specific destination/buyer is the part I haven't yet figured out.
nlerner is online now  
Likes For nlerner:
Old 04-28-23, 01:33 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20,306
Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,837 Times in 2,000 Posts
Shipping now reads like purchasing an airline ticket.

this is the new world order

having a Shipping company commercial account seems to be the way to obtain predictable rates. I use one of two business neighbors at work. It has been a while, nothing shipped this year.
repechage is offline  
Likes For repechage:
Old 04-28-23, 03:52 PM
  #23  
Full Member
 
tjfastback66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 306

Bikes: a few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 381 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by RobertUI
FWIW...

I recently shipped a bike from Virginia to Nevada for ~$78. The best rate that I got was from UPS, but I got it by using PayPal's ShipStation. For whatever reason, they give me excellent rates, and it's now the only way I ship. I log into PayPal, then go to ShipStation and get my quote there. I then just dropped it off to my local UPS store. Fortunately for me, I already had a workable box, but it worked out cheaper and better than I expected.

peace
Question - is this on their website or is ship station available on their app?
tjfastback66 is offline  
Old 04-28-23, 04:39 PM
  #24  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,941
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by tjfastback66
Question - is this on their website or is ship station available on their app?
https://www.shipstation.com/partners/paypal/

Same rates as Pirateship, as far as I can tell.

Last edited by jiangshi; 04-28-23 at 04:44 PM.
jiangshi is offline  
Likes For jiangshi:
Old 04-29-23, 10:10 AM
  #25  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Oregon
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
I shipped a couple of larger, complete bikes using bikeflights in the recent past. I broke the bikes all the way down and zipped tied the wheels to the frame to make the package as small as possible. Cost was $104 from Philadelphia to Portland. It was a complete,1971 International, 25" frame in December of 2022.

It pretty much put me off shipping complete bikes anymore. Between the cost, which shrinks your pool of potential buyers, to the geometric puzzle of getting all this stuff in the smallest box possible and delivered safely, it became unfun.
I am in the process of using them to ship two bikes coast to coast the other direction and itís about the same as you paid. Having just packed up the first of the bikes, I can see what you mean about the packaging process. Their shipping box is pretty clever although expensive, but following their instructions, I had to nearly disassemble the bike. And I zip tied so much pipe insulation on it that it now looks more like some kind of grey balloon animal than a bicycle. Iím shipping the bikes for a ride rather than to sell them, so Iíll have to repeat the process for the return home. If I donít figure out some ways to reduce the packaging prep, this may not be something I want to repeat. It may be easier to put them on the back of my RV and drive them there myself next time. 😀
daywood is offline  
Likes For daywood:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.