Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Hi there I'm a newbie.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Hi there I'm a newbie.

Old 05-15-23, 12:52 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Hi there I'm a newbie.

Hi Newbie here! I tried to post photos of a bike I'm trying to identify. I got a message saying that I cannot post photos until I have completed 10 posts. So I guess this is my first post.
SueChev is offline  
Likes For SueChev:
Old 05-15-23, 01:02 PM
  #2  
ambulatory senior
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 6,002

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked 3,671 Times in 1,684 Posts
Welcome to the forums. After 10 posts you can post pics. Hang in there and you'll get em.
52telecaster is offline  
Old 05-15-23, 01:15 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
 
DanseMacabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 124

Bikes: 1957 Motobecane camping bike, 1974 Manufrance Super Course STC, 1977 Peugeot camping bike, 1978 Liberia C15

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 44 Posts
You can also create an album in your profile and upload photo's there. Then someone else can post those photos in this thread.
DanseMacabre is offline  
Old 05-15-23, 01:19 PM
  #4  
mycocyclist
 
machinist42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Monkey Junction, Wilmington, NC
Posts: 1,251

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 463 Posts
Pic Assist

Originally Posted by SueChev
Hi Newbie here! I tried to post photos of a bike I'm trying to identify. I got a message saying that I cannot post photos until I have completed 10 posts. So I guess this is my first post.


OP's Album.
machinist42 is offline  
Likes For machinist42:
Old 05-15-23, 01:28 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Velo Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,127

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 674 Posts
Interesting bike @SueChev. The type we don't see too much of in the US. Full chainguard, rear mounted center kickstand, roller brake in the rear, make more for getting around and carrying stuff rather than the racier / recreational bikes we often see. I have no idea on the manufacturer. It could be European, it could be Asian. The dynamo mount on the right side would suggest that is from a country that drives on the left side of the road, England, Japan, etc.

I like the simple utility of this bike. Do you own it or are you considering it?
Velo Mule is offline  
Old 05-15-23, 01:30 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Pompiere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 3,449

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
That looks similar to one I bought for my wife a few years ago, except the wheels look bigger. Maybe it's a newer model. What is the tire size? Ours is 22 x 1 3/4.


Japanese Neroa girl's bike

The chain case, fenders, basket, and skirt guard are on the floor below.
Pompiere is offline  
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 05-15-23, 01:34 PM
  #7  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Hello

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Interesting bike @SueChev. The type we don't see too much of in the US. Full chainguard, rear mounted center kickstand, roller brake in the rear, make more for getting around and carrying stuff rather than the racier / recreational bikes we often see. I have no idea on the manufacturer. It could be European, it could be Asian. The dynamo mount on the right side would suggest that is from a country that drives on the left side of the road, England, Japan, etc.

I like the simple utility of this bike. Do you own it or are you considering it?
Hi- I own the bike. I bought it 35 years ago at a police auction. Used it for a bit and then it's been stored for a long time. I am hoping to be allowed to post additional photos soon and perhaps knowledgeable persons can give me some idea about the manufacturer, how old it is, etc.
Edit - I made a mistake. This isn't the one from the police auction. I bought it from a small bike dealer who since went out of business.

Last edited by SueChev; 05-15-23 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Made a mistake
SueChev is offline  
Old 05-15-23, 01:36 PM
  #8  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanks!

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Welcome to the forums. After 10 posts you can post pics. Hang in there and you'll get em.
Thanks I'm sure it will be soon!
SueChev is offline  
Old 05-15-23, 01:38 PM
  #9  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanks

Originally Posted by DanseMacabre
You can also create an album in your profile and upload photo's there. Then someone else can post those photos in this thread.
awesome idea ... thanks! I'm new to forums so I need all the tips!
SueChev is offline  
Old 05-15-23, 01:40 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
steelbikeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 4,499
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,597 Posts
Originally Posted by SueChev
Hi- I own the bike. I bought it 35 years ago at a police auction. Used it for a bit and then it's been stored for a long time. I am hoping to be allowed to post additional photos soon and perhaps knowledgeable persons can give me some idea about the manufacturer, how old it is, etc.
The "JIS" sticker on the bottom bracket shell would indicate that it was made in Japan.

edit: it shares some common traits with a Japanese Bridgestone Mimollet shopping bike that was displayed at a small bike event in Peoria a few years back. Neat little bike!



Steve in Peoria

Last edited by steelbikeguy; 05-15-23 at 01:44 PM.
steelbikeguy is offline  
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 05-15-23, 02:05 PM
  #11  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
That looks similar to one I bought for my wife a few years ago, except the wheels look bigger. Maybe it's a newer model. What is the tire size? Ours is 22 x 1 3/4.
That's a very interesting frame shape. Do you have a picture of it assembled?

Also...where do you find replacement tires in that size?
campfire is offline  
Old 05-15-23, 03:22 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Velo Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,127

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
The "JIS" sticker on the bottom bracket shell would indicate that it was made in Japan.

edit: it shares some common traits with a Japanese Bridgestone Mimollet shopping bike that was displayed at a small bike event in Peoria a few years back. Neat little bike!



Steve in Peoria
I love it. A quite nice, shopping bike and something that is a bit exotic, here in the US anyway next to a Colnogo with all Campy Record.

Even better, @steelbikeguy , you got a picture of it and posted it.
Velo Mule is offline  
Old 05-15-23, 03:41 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
steelbikeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 4,499
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,597 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I love it. A quite nice, shopping bike and something that is a bit exotic, here in the US anyway next to a Colnogo with all Campy Record.

Even better, @steelbikeguy , you got a picture of it and posted it.
well, I have a minor compulsion to take photos of cool stuff.

The same gal who showed the Bridgestone shopping bike also showed a Rivendell Betty Foy...




Some fellow named Russell showed this Bob Jackson...




Sam J. showed his Paisley trike...


There was also a Mino Denti tandem... I'd never heard of them before...


and I was very surprised to see a Dario Pegoretti bike!


I was truly amazed at all of the cool steel bikes that people brought to share!

Steve in Peoria
steelbikeguy is offline  
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 05-15-23, 07:38 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Pompiere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 3,449

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Originally Posted by campfire
That's a very interesting frame shape. Do you have a picture of it assembled?

Also...where do you find replacement tires in that size?
Sorry, I didn't take any pictures before I took it apart. It looks pretty much like the other bikes in the thread, with a plastic skirt guard on the rear fender, basket on the front, headlights, generator, rear band brake, three speeds, enclosed chain case.

I wish I knew where to find the tires. There is no ISO size marked on it, so by measuring the rim, my best guess is a wheelchair tire size, either 37-490 or 37-501. I haven't rolled the dice to order any yet. They are just a little smaller than the 24 inch kids' mountain bike size, so that is what I used for tubes.
Pompiere is offline  
Old 05-15-23, 09:38 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 14,362
Mentioned: 417 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3844 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 2,221 Posts
-----

​​​​​​

wonderful that she exhibits no sign of fire/smoke damage

crank arms appear to be about one hundred forty-five mm

this combined with 22" wheel might suggest cycle not intended for adult

of course folke in Nippon tend to be smaller than westerners...

am unable to make out name on transfers, is anyone else able to read it? perhaps just me auld occipital receptors


-----
juvela is offline  
Old 05-15-23, 09:57 PM
  #16  
mycocyclist
 
machinist42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Monkey Junction, Wilmington, NC
Posts: 1,251

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 463 Posts
Additional Picture Assistance









“moshi moshi”

Last edited by machinist42; 05-15-23 at 10:01 PM.
machinist42 is offline  
Likes For machinist42:
Old 05-16-23, 06:02 AM
  #17  
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hi all. newbie here as well. it took me a while to figure out adding photos to an album, and then uploading from there. now i just have to post a few more times before i can submit my actual thread
somedodo is offline  
Old 05-16-23, 07:13 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 14,362
Mentioned: 417 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3844 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 2,221 Posts
-----

thanks very much for the additional images!

​​​​​​

one maker for these band type drum brakes is ARAI (CHAIR brand)

---

wrt the 22" wheel/tyre size -

checked Sutherland's and two sizes are listed; 22 X 1.75 & 22 X 2.25

both are shown with a bead seat diameter of 457

no close metric counterpart is listed


-----
juvela is offline  
Old 05-16-23, 08:16 AM
  #19  
Señor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hardy, VA
Posts: 17,961

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

thanks very much for the additional images!

​​​​​​

one maker for these band type drum brakes is ARAI (CHAIR brand)

---

wrt the 22" wheel/tyre size -

checked Sutherland's and two sizes are listed; 22 X 1.75 & 22 X 2.25

both are shown with a bead seat diameter of 457

no close metric counterpart is listed


-----
I thought it was a responder who said their bike that had a similar design had 22" wheels. Not sure we've heard what size the author's wheels are.
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline  
Old 05-16-23, 09:51 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,090

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 602 Posts
Looks like a Bridgestone one, here, the first, with some resemeblance is called a Bridgestone Jobna, the second is more like yours...



Really odd, that everywhere they say 26" wheels, where the rear looks bigger on many photos. How are yours? Is it a Lo-pro or not?
Edit: here's one called Bridgestone Singlestar really like yours, still not an 1:1 match. Since we don't know the naming nomenclature (if different names only meant different mfg year, or different equipment or other) it will be hard to shoot anything closer what is yours. Can also be, that the built style is some kind of "this is how a Japanese shipping bike must look like" and also others than Bridgestone made really similar bikes.
edit2: forgot the pic

Last edited by Lattz; 05-16-23 at 10:50 AM.
Lattz is offline  
Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-16-23, 01:07 PM
  #21  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
I wish I knew where to find the tires. There is no ISO size marked on it, so by measuring the rim, my best guess is a wheelchair tire size, either 37-490 or 37-501. I haven't rolled the dice to order any yet. They are just a little smaller than the 24 inch kids' mountain bike size, so that is what I used for tubes.
If the size is close enough to share tubes, would you be better off finding a suitable set of 24" wheels? I hate to see a neat bike grounded for lack of tire availability...




​​​
campfire is offline  
Old 05-16-23, 08:21 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Pompiere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 3,449

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----
wrt the 22" wheel/tyre size -

checked Sutherland's and two sizes are listed; 22 X 1.75 & 22 X 2.25

both are shown with a bead seat diameter of 457

no close metric counterpart is listed


-----
The local bike shop had some 22 x 1.75. I tried to fit them on my rims and it was a no-go. They are much smaller than the 22 x 1 3/4.
Pompiere is offline  
Old 05-16-23, 10:03 PM
  #23  
The Huffmeister
 
AdventureManCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Le Grande HQ
Posts: 2,832

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Liked 3,668 Times in 1,463 Posts
Welecome and nice bike you have there!
__________________
There were 135 Confentes, but only one...Huffente!









AdventureManCO is offline  
Old 05-16-23, 10:49 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
zandoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bastrop Texas
Posts: 4,549

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked 1,673 Times in 1,074 Posts
Welcome to the forum... 10 posts will come easy...

Edmonton AB???

That's in North Texas ain't it...
__________________
No matter where you're at... There you are... Δf:=f(1/2)-f(-1/2)
zandoval is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.