Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Replacement shifter

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Replacement shifter

Old 04-12-24, 10:44 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 3 Posts
Replacement shifter

The last time I logged in here was 2013. I took a pretty significant spill, along with an ambulance ride and a trip through a CAT scanning machine and that put me off riding for a bit. In as much an attempt to overcome the effects of that excitement as anything, I have decided to get back in the saddle, literally. There is another benefit, I have moved from the Olympic Peninsula to Philadelphia for work, and driving here is just not something I'm not interested in doing when 11 miles can take an hour; I'd rather be riding.

I have found an early 80s, Japan made, Shogun Prairie Breaker 2 that fits me well and is in very lightly used shape. I have spent a few nights at the local co-op and the BB races look like they just came off the shelf. I attempted to reassemble the rear derailleur after a deep cleaning, and thought I had killed it. A used derailleur from the co-op was 10 bucks and I was back on the road. I am planning on going 1x6 (I do EVERYTHING wrong on a bike, like not shift and change cadence and "mash".) Once I figured out what I did wrong with the RD-AL11 I realized that there is quite the market for this old set and I can easily recoup what I paid for the bike by flipping both derailleurs and shifters.

All that is to ask, what is a good flat bar shifter to work with a Shimano STX IG compatible rear derailleur?
Thanks
noyb72 is offline  
Likes For noyb72:
Old 04-13-24, 04:42 AM
  #2  
Edumacator
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 6,987

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 3,262 Times in 2,054 Posts
Originally Posted by noyb72
The last time I logged in here was 2013. I took a pretty significant spill, along with an ambulance ride and a trip through a CAT scanning machine and that put me off riding for a bit. In as much an attempt to overcome the effects of that excitement as anything, I have decided to get back in the saddle, literally. There is another benefit, I have moved from the Olympic Peninsula to Philadelphia for work, and driving here is just not something I'm not interested in doing when 11 miles can take an hour; I'd rather be riding.

I have found an early 80s, Japan made, Shogun Prairie Breaker 2 that fits me well and is in very lightly used shape. I have spent a few nights at the local co-op and the BB races look like they just came off the shelf. I attempted to reassemble the rear derailleur after a deep cleaning, and thought I had killed it. A used derailleur from the co-op was 10 bucks and I was back on the road. I am planning on going 1x6 (I do EVERYTHING wrong on a bike, like not shift and change cadence and "mash".) Once I figured out what I did wrong with the RD-AL11 I realized that there is quite the market for this old set and I can easily recoup what I paid for the bike by flipping both derailleurs and shifters.

All that is to ask, what is a good flat bar shifter to work with a Shimano STX IG compatible rear derailleur?
Thanks
Indexed or friction? STX is either 7 or 8 speed capable indexed...so you COULD do 7 speeds with the hub you have (I think).

If married to 6 speeds, any of the micro-ratchet shimano thumb shifters would be good.
__________________
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super, 1971 Raleigh International, 1998 Corratec Ap & Dun, 1991 Peugeot Slimestone













jdawginsc is offline  
Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 04-13-24, 10:08 AM
  #3  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 3 Posts
I'm kind of ambivalent to friction or indexed. It seems "proper" to run the matching shifter if I could find it. Can a 7 speed have a smaller cog? Right now I have 14-30 on the factory 46(?) chainring. I would love to add an 11 out back.

Thanks
noyb72 is offline  
Old 04-13-24, 10:44 AM
  #4  
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Shady Pines Retirement Fort Wayne, In
Posts: 27,908

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2949 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,516 Posts
Sounds like quite an adventure, glad to hear getting back in the saddle.

any well functioning shimano thumb shifter will work, use the friction option. Really any thumbs shifter will work but with the shimano you’re kinda getting a Retrofriction type shifter.

pics?
__________________
One morning you wake up, the girl is gone, the bikes are gone, all that's left behind is a pair of old tires and a tube of tubular glue, all squeezed out"

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Bianchigirll is offline  
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 04-13-24, 10:47 AM
  #5  
feros ferio
 
John E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
Posts: 21,820

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 1,340 Times in 846 Posts
I use older SunTour thumbies in friction mode on my mountain bike, and SunTour barcons in friction mode on the Peugeot and the Carlton.
__________________
"Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." --Theodore Roosevelt
Capo: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger (2), S/N 42624, 42597
Carlton: 1962 Franco Suisse, S/N K7911
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline  
Old 04-13-24, 11:53 AM
  #6  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 3 Posts



I'll take better ones in the sunlight tomorrow. The co-op didn't have short crankset bolts, I'm thinking a bash guard will be the easiest remedy.
noyb72 is offline  
Old 04-13-24, 12:17 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 892
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 242 Posts
Originally Posted by noyb72
I'm kind of ambivalent to friction or indexed. It seems "proper" to run the matching shifter if I could find it. Can a 7 speed have a smaller cog? Right now I have 14-30 on the factory 46(?) chainring. I would love to add an 11 out back.

Thanks
If the rear wheel is original, it will probably be a freewheel type hub, not the more modern freehub type.

With the freewheel type, you are generally limited to a 12T outer sprocket. The standard construction of freewheels restricts the smallest sprocket possible.

With 6 speed 13T is common, but there are some that were available with 12T. 12T is a little more available with 7 speed freewheels.

Whether you can go to 7 speed will depend on the frame's rear spacing. 126mm between the dropouts would allow a narrow spaced freewheel. During the 80' frames used dropouts at 126mm or 130, and later 135.
KCT1986 is offline  
Old 04-13-24, 12:36 PM
  #8  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 3 Posts
12 is close enough to 11, so a seven speed free wheel is probably in my near future. The Giant I rode in Hawaii had a free hub and I was able to do 48-11 on a 700c wheel. I could turn about 15 cranks a minute and still get to work. I still haven't decided how much money I will put into this thing, I have no problem putting lipstick on a pig, but the seven speed freewheel and matching shifter seem like good ideas.

There are a bunch of people that go gaga over this bike. I am not familiar with Shogun. When it came on the market I did a little digging, this is a lugged frame made in Japan with Tange seamless Cro-Mo MTB tubes, anytime I go to the co-op someone new points that out to me even though it says so on a sticker.
noyb72 is offline  
Old 04-13-24, 01:34 PM
  #9  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 3 Posts
This one looks about right
https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-HG41-...EaAt1yEALw_wcB
noyb72 is offline  
Old 04-13-24, 02:12 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 892
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 242 Posts
Originally Posted by noyb72
That is a cassette. You need to check if your hub has a freewheel or freehub.

Do a quick look at the Sheldon Brown links that are a 'sticky' in the Mechanics sub-forum.
KCT1986 is offline  
Old 04-13-24, 02:53 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 9,549

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 643 Posts
Originally Posted by noyb72



I'll take better ones in the sunlight tomorrow. The co-op didn't have short crankset bolts, I'm thinking a bash guard will be the easiest remedy.
For a cheap easy fix just take one of the bolts over to your local hardware store and find a half dozen washers the right size should be either 10 or 11mm's. about $2. Hard to believe the bike coop didn't have tone of washers new or used when I worked at coop we brought this size washer in bulk a couple hundred at time.
zukahn1 is offline  
Old 04-13-24, 03:12 PM
  #12  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 3 Posts
They have a bucket of washers, I ran out of time to go through them and this was the quickest way to be on the road before they ran me out.
Missed that that was a cassette. I definitely have a free wheel.
Thanks
noyb72 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.