Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Video: 70s Condor Superbe REstoration!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Video: 70s Condor Superbe REstoration!

Old 04-13-24, 12:07 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jjhabbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,899

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 1,078 Times in 264 Posts
Video: 70s Condor Superbe REstoration!

Hey guys,
I'm excited about this bicycle. Turns out its pretty rare. Its very ornate and in great condition. This is part 1 of 2 on this bicycle rebuild

Thanks
John Haboush

__________________
From Illinois. Collector of many fine bicycles from all over the world. Subscribe to my Youtube channel. Just search John's vintage road bike garage
jjhabbs is offline  
Old 04-13-24, 12:26 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,046
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts
Awesome bike and I vote for leave the decal as is and go for clean/bling with patina. The two can be coupled! To me, missing decal bits are more charming and less distracting than say surface rust. The older the bike the more likely I would be to keep all decals as they are.
polymorphself is offline  
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 04-13-24, 03:22 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jjhabbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,899

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 1,078 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
Awesome bike and I vote for leave the decal as is and go for clean/bling with patina. The two can be coupled! To me, missing decal bits are more charming and less distracting than say surface rust. The older the bike the more likely I would be to keep all decals as they are.
I hear ya,
I just have to learn to leave it! LOL

John
__________________
From Illinois. Collector of many fine bicycles from all over the world. Subscribe to my Youtube channel. Just search John's vintage road bike garage
jjhabbs is offline  
Likes For jjhabbs:
Old 04-13-24, 03:31 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,046
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by jjhabbs
I hear ya,
I just have to learn to leave it! LOL

John
OR, get yourself the decal but don't apply it. Then you know you can at any moment, and will be less likely to feel the need to
polymorphself is offline  
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 04-13-24, 04:11 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 14,330
Mentioned: 416 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3831 Post(s)
Liked 3,382 Times in 2,208 Posts
-----

thank you!

great job with the video

small parts -

one drive chain which would be period, national origin and quality appropriate would be a Renold with beveled plates

these were offered in caramel and off-black finishes

front gear mech -

the mech you selected has the e-ring to retain the cage assembly on the pivot post
this is something which came in right around the time of the bicycle so if you are able to verify a definite date for the frame you could check and see if it is late enough for this front mech

the next generation earlier lacked this feature and the cage assembly tended to want to "walk" off the back of the post, although it was physically impossible for it to do so

there is a highly detailed history of the Campagnolo Record model family of front mechs here -

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/ca....219403/unread

another Campag date you may wish to verify is the change in the stop plate for the R/NR shift lever set; they went from black oxide finish steel to alloy right near this time so which is correct may depend upon the frameset's specific date...

looking forward to part II


-----

Last edited by juvela; 04-13-24 at 04:13 PM. Reason: spellin''
juvela is offline  
Likes For juvela:
Old 04-13-24, 10:25 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jjhabbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,899

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 1,078 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

thank you!

great job with the video

small parts -

one drive chain which would be period, national origin and quality appropriate would be a Renold with beveled plates

these were offered in caramel and off-black finishes

front gear mech -

the mech you selected has the e-ring to retain the cage assembly on the pivot post
this is something which came in right around the time of the bicycle so if you are able to verify a definite date for the frame you could check and see if it is late enough for this front mech

the next generation earlier lacked this feature and the cage assembly tended to want to "walk" off the back of the post, although it was physically impossible for it to do so

there is a highly detailed history of the Campagnolo Record model family of front mechs here -

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/ca....219403/unread

another Campag date you may wish to verify is the change in the stop plate for the R/NR shift lever set; they went from black oxide finish steel to alloy right near this time so which is correct may depend upon the frameset's specific date...

looking forward to part II


-----
Thanks for all the insight. You would think that I'm extremely particular over the parts. I'm actually not as concerned if the differences are minimal. Its hard to know what year this thing was built. I know the range but it does have Pat 74 rear and a in the diamond on the back of the crankset. Id be curious to know exactly what year it was made.

John
__________________
From Illinois. Collector of many fine bicycles from all over the world. Subscribe to my Youtube channel. Just search John's vintage road bike garage
jjhabbs is offline  
Likes For jjhabbs:
Old 04-14-24, 07:06 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
76SLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Earlville, IL
Posts: 663

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
OR, get yourself the decal but don't apply it. Then you know you can at any moment, and will be less likely to feel the need to
I've done that for several bikes. I've got a drawer full of decals that may or may not ever go on the bike, but I got satisfaction knowing I have a replacement.
76SLT is offline  
Likes For 76SLT:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.