Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The death of the Asian lugged import bicycle

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The death of the Asian lugged import bicycle

Old 04-14-24, 09:51 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7,464
Liked 1,813 Times in 1,178 Posts
The death of the Asian lugged import bicycle

The Centurion/Diamondback thread had me thinking about the actual timeline of the lugged production bicycle imported from Japan and Taiwan. I started working in shops in 1990, and Centurion had just gone away. Over the next two years it seemed like every Japanese lugged frame disappeared, either replaced by a Taiwanese equivalent, the end of the brand in the US or a move to a different sort of construction. And that the only Japanese US import became the pricey Bridgestones by maybe '93 or so. Giant and Specialized kept going with lugs with Taiwan bikes, but those petered out after not very long.

How long did basic production Japanese lugged bikes last? Seemed like Panasonic, Miyata and others disappeared - maybe Fuji kept going for longer? When did the Taiwan lugged bikes like the Giant Perigee dry up? Which brands and models were last?
Kontact is offline  
Old 04-14-24, 10:10 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Mr. 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 3,401
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,006 Posts
My Miyata, and Univega have lasted 45 years, my Nishiki 48 years.
Mr. 66 is offline  
Old 04-14-24, 10:58 AM
  #3  
I am potato.
 
base2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 3,202

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Liked 1,728 Times in 985 Posts
I don't read Japanese, but this looks promising. Still in business, at least.
https://cycle.panasonic.com/products/pos/
__________________
I shouldn't have to "make myself more visible;" Drivers should just stop running people over.

Car dependency is a tax.
base2 is offline  
Old 04-14-24, 12:04 PM
  #4  
Forum Moderator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 20,819

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista Vitus 979

Liked 6,875 Times in 3,930 Posts
In 2009 Fuji introduced the retro designed Connoisseur. It was a lugged steel frame. After a couple years they switched it to a tig welded frame.
__________________












cb400bill is offline  
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 04-14-24, 01:39 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 507
Likes: 0
Liked 475 Times in 244 Posts
chain_whipped is offline  
Likes For chain_whipped:
Old 04-14-24, 02:01 PM
  #6  
Steel is real
 
georges1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Not far from Paris
Posts: 2,051

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Liked 1,021 Times in 679 Posts
Nice modern lugged high end japanese steel frames are complicated to import and buy because often in small sizes and often priced expensively.I have wanted badly a 3 rensho or a Cherubim but I couldn't justify myself shelling out 1500$-2500$ just for the frame. Would I had the money I would have bought it. I know a german friend who rides a Panasonic DX 5000 that he had imported many years ago, it is the best bike he has ever ridden , he upgraded with dura ace 9000 and zipp wheels.
georges1 is offline  
Old 04-14-24, 03:14 PM
  #7  
Edumacator
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 7,135

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Liked 3,374 Times in 2,115 Posts
When did Bianchi stop the Japanese production bikes and move to Taiwan. That might be a clue to it.
__________________
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super, 1971 Raleigh International, 1998 Corratec Ap & Dun, 1991 Peugeot Slimestone













jdawginsc is offline  
Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 04-14-24, 03:35 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7,464
Liked 1,813 Times in 1,178 Posts
Based on many of the responses, I'm talking about large production bike imports, not small shops like 3Rensho, and when they largely petered out. At any given moment someone can re-import whatever, but I was really just asking about common product lines, not one-offs.

And we're not talking about how long a bike lasts.
Kontact is offline  
Likes For Kontact:
Old 04-14-24, 03:41 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Pompiere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 3,483

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Liked 1,097 Times in 560 Posts
Around the late 1980s when the Taiwanese manufacturers like Giant figured out how to program a robot to TIG weld a frame. Then they could crank out frames faster that were straight and consistent, time after time. That, plus changes in the dollar to yen ratio, meant that the Japanese lug framed bikes had a tough time competing in the market. The average consumer didn't really care what kind of joints their bike had, they just wanted the best band for their buck.
Pompiere is offline  
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 04-14-24, 03:48 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7,464
Liked 1,813 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
Around the late 1980s when the Taiwanese manufacturers like Giant figured out how to program a robot to TIG weld a frame. Then they could crank out frames faster that were straight and consistent, time after time. That, plus changes in the dollar to yen ratio, meant that the Japanese lug framed bikes had a tough time competing in the market. The average consumer didn't really care what kind of joints their bike had, they just wanted the best band for their buck.
But Giant sold lugged frames like the Perigee in the '90s.
Kontact is offline  
Old 04-14-24, 04:15 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Spoonrobot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,106
Liked 208 Times in 124 Posts
This is an interesting question, the book Japanese Steel has some answers and timelines but I don't have it on hand to look and share what it says. I'm interested enough to research this some more during the week and if I find anything compelling I'll post back in the thread.

Spoonrobot is offline  
Likes For Spoonrobot:
Old 04-14-24, 04:34 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Trakhak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 5,698
Liked 3,233 Times in 1,847 Posts
Originally Posted by chain_whipped
That's not a lugged frame.
Trakhak is offline  
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 04-14-24, 04:44 PM
  #13  
Bad example
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Seattle and Reims
Posts: 3,293

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Liked 430 Times in 203 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
But Giant sold lugged frames like the Perigee in the '90s.
They had to offer *something* for the retrogrouch market.
__________________
Keeping Seattle’s bike shops in business since 1978
Aubergine is offline  
Old 04-14-24, 05:21 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7,464
Liked 1,813 Times in 1,178 Posts
Looking around, Specialized had lugged Allez bikes until at least 94 - which I'm sure were Taiwanese made.

Giant went to '96 with the lugged Perigee.

The '96 Fuji Team was welded.
Kontact is offline  
Old 04-14-24, 05:59 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
zandoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bastrop Texas
Posts: 4,608

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Liked 1,716 Times in 1,103 Posts
Hummmm... Let me see... Japanese made ChroMo bicycle or a New Style Carbon bicycle.
Wonder which one will last longer?



Well in my area finding an old Japanese ChroMo bike thats in good condition is expensive. Few years ago they were easy to get but now not so much...
__________________
No matter where you're at... There you are... Δf:=f(1/2)-f(-1/2)
zandoval is offline  
Old 04-14-24, 06:19 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7,464
Liked 1,813 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Hummmm... Let me see... Japanese made ChroMo bicycle or a New Style Carbon bicycle.
Wonder which one will last longer?



Well in my area finding an old Japanese ChroMo bike thats in good condition is expensive. Few years ago they were easy to get but now not so much...
Can't be bothered to read the OP, eh?
Kontact is offline  
Likes For Kontact:
Old 04-15-24, 06:40 AM
  #17  
feros ferio
 
John E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
Posts: 21,852

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Liked 1,369 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
My Miyata, and Univega have lasted 45 years, my Nishiki 48 years.
My 1971 Nishiki Semi-Pro frame failed at the 20 year, 40K mile mark, when the seat tube socket broke away from the remainder of the bottom bracket shell. Too many hill climbs, many out-of-saddle, I guess.
My 1973 Peugeot UO-8 frame failed at about the 30 year mark, when the drive side chainstay cracked between the chainring and tire clearance dimples.
My first 1960 Capo (a Modell Campagnolo) frame failed at the front of the downtube, just behind the butting, at the 25-year mark, but I won't count this one because the frame had been bent back and re-straightened, giving me a few more years.
I bought my 1988 Schwinn mountain bike (see signature) from a San Diego firefighter for whom Schwinn had replaced the frame under warranty after about 2-3 years of use. I have had no problems whatsoever during the ensuing 25-30 years, but I am lighter and less strong than he is.
__________________
"Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." --Theodore Roosevelt
Capo: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger (2), S/N 42624, 42597
Carlton: 1962 Franco Suisse, S/N K7911
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline  
Likes For John E:
Old 04-15-24, 06:43 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 6,053

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Liked 3,105 Times in 1,873 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
My 1971 Nishiki Semi-Pro frame failed at the 20 year, 40K mile mark, when the seat tube socket broke away from the remainder of the bottom bracket shell. Too many hill climbs, many out-of-saddle, I guess.
My 1973 Peugeot UO-8 frame failed at about the 30 year mark, when the drive side chainstay cracked between the chainring and tire clearance dimples.
My first 1960 Capo (a Modell Campagnolo) frame failed at the front of the downtube, just behind the butting, at the 25-year mark, but I won't count this one because the frame had been bent back and re-straightened, giving me a few more years.
I bought my 1988 Schwinn mountain bike (see signature) from a San Diego firefighter for whom Schwinn had replaced the frame under warranty after about 2-3 years of use. I have had no problems whatsoever during the ensuing 25-30 years, but I am lighter and less strong than he is.
Originally Posted by Kontact
And we're not talking about how long a bike lasts.
...
smd4 is offline  
Old 04-15-24, 08:04 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Mr. 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 3,401
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,006 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Based on many of the responses, I'm talking about large production bike imports, not small shops like 3Rensho, and when they largely petered out. At any given moment someone can re-import whatever, but I was really just asking about common product lines, not one-offs.

And we're not talking about how long a bike lasts.
I guess they, Japan, imported frames, but they exported a lot more.
Mr. 66 is offline  
Old 04-15-24, 08:23 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 9,583

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Liked 1,859 Times in 654 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
When did Bianchi stop the Japanese production bikes and move to Taiwan. That might be a clue to it.
I believe the last were made in 1991.
zukahn1 is offline  
Old 04-15-24, 08:30 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 9,583

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Liked 1,859 Times in 654 Posts
The Japan built main stream production bikes pretty much came to an end 93 when Japans labor and import regulations changed. The major makers started the shift to Tawain and tig welded around 87 with MTBs and were pretty much out of Japan lugged stuff including road bikes by 91 or so.
zukahn1 is offline  
Old 04-15-24, 09:06 AM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Toledo Ohio
Posts: 1,525

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Liked 712 Times in 401 Posts
I just gifted to a relative a nice lugged Bianchi Boardwalk hybrid I seldom rode anymore. Serial number indicated 1991 manufacture and 1992 sales year judging by the components. It was a nice Tange Superset 2 frame set made in Taiwan. One of the early good quality hybrids soon to change to tig welding it seems. Lots of changes at that time. My Miyata 1000LT from 1989 is on the later timeframe for a made in Japan frame vs Taiwan.
sd5782 is offline  
Old 04-15-24, 02:53 PM
  #23  
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 16,789

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Liked 7,720 Times in 4,294 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
The Centurion/Diamondback thread had me thinking about the actual timeline of the lugged production bicycle imported from Japan and Taiwan. I started working in shops in 1990, and Centurion had just gone away. Over the next two years it seemed like every Japanese lugged frame disappeared, either replaced by a Taiwanese equivalent, the end of the brand in the US or a move to a different sort of construction. And that the only Japanese US import became the pricey Bridgestones by maybe '93 or so. Giant and Specialized kept going with lugs with Taiwan bikes, but those petered out after not very long.

How long did basic production Japanese lugged bikes last? Seemed like Panasonic, Miyata and others disappeared - maybe Fuji kept going for longer? When did the Taiwan lugged bikes like the Giant Perigee dry up? Which brands and models were last?
- Centurion wasnt Japanese, it was American and was just a brand owned by WSI. It was the sister company to Diamondback and dealt in paved bikes. It went away in 90/91 because WSI dropped it in favor of using Diamondback for all bikes.
- Taiwan was where lower end frames were built in the early and mid-80s. As the late-80s hit, higher level models moved from Japan to Taiwan due to straight cost as well as exchange rate challenges.
- Lugged frames for the US market were still built in Japan by major brands(mass production) into at least '93, but they were sometimes models that were aluminum, titanium, or CF. I have seen '93 Miyata and Fuji models that were made in Japan..
- During this general time, Panasonic left the US market in '89, Miyata left in '93, and Bridgestone left in '94. So when actual Japanese brands leave and the contract brands have mostly/completely moved to Taiwan, the result is not many mass produced lugged frames from Japan.
- The bulk of MTB production seems to have moved to Taiwan before the bulk of Road production. And with TIG gaining popularity in the early 90s, this also reduced the number of Japanese built lugged frames.
- Panasonic built some PDG Paramount road bikes for Schwinn in the early 90s that were lugged using OS Tange tubing. Those ended in '93, I believe.



So to actually answer you- '93-94 is the last I can think of for mass produced Japanese lugged bikes. '93 Schwinn Paramount PDG and '94 Bridgestone RB series.
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-15-24, 03:22 PM
  #24  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA - Southwest PA
Posts: 3,314

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Liked 2,130 Times in 1,190 Posts


I was also going to mention 1993 Schwinn Paramount - but forgot there was also a limited 1994 Schwinn Paramount lineup

however - Waterford made some 1993 models and possibly some / all 1994 models (?)

note: the 1991 mountain bike frames were TIG welded
(and possibly some of the 1992 models - low-end to mid )

Last edited by t2p; 04-15-24 at 03:28 PM.
t2p is offline  
Old 04-15-24, 03:29 PM
  #25  
Malcontent
 
Writenride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 133

Bikes: I honestly don't know...

Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
In 2009, I got my Panasonic demountable Touring Bike from Yellow Jersey (Arlington, WI). The bike was made with Tange Prestige tubing. Here’s an old photo of it.


Last edited by Writenride; 04-15-24 at 03:37 PM.
Writenride is offline  
Likes For Writenride:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.