Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Head branded elevated chainstay bike?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Head branded elevated chainstay bike?

Old 05-16-24, 09:55 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 112

Bikes: 84 John Howard, 85 Raleigh Kodiak, 84 Ross Mt whitney, 74 Masi, 82 Allez

Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Head branded elevated chainstay bike?

This bike popped up at my local Play-it-again sports and I am struggling to find a reason not to buy it. I am curious if anyone can ID the manufacturer, it is branded as Head (frame and seat) and has a CycleArt decal on the chainstay.
brandonk is offline  
Old 05-16-24, 10:04 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 13,268

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Liked 6,573 Times in 3,773 Posts
Originally Posted by brandonk
This bike popped up at my local Play-it-again sports and I am struggling to find a reason not to buy it. I am curious if anyone can ID the manufacturer, it is branded as Head (frame and seat) and has a CycleArt decal on the chainstay.
No idea who made it, looks pretty good from here.

Cycle Art alone probably makes it a "buy it now".
merziac is offline  
Old 05-16-24, 10:20 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
randyjawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada - burrrrr!
Posts: 11,738

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Likes: 0
Liked 1,812 Times in 967 Posts
This bike popped up at my local Play-it-again sports and I am struggling to find a reason not to buy it.
​​​​​​​Your wife should be able to help with this one:-)
__________________
"98% of the bikes I buy are projects".
randyjawa is offline  
Likes For randyjawa:
Old 05-16-24, 10:46 AM
  #4  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 112

Bikes: 84 John Howard, 85 Raleigh Kodiak, 84 Ross Mt whitney, 74 Masi, 82 Allez

Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Your wife should be able to help with this one:-)
HaHa, some guys have a second family they hide from thier wife, I have a rented garage a few blocks away.
brandonk is offline  
Likes For brandonk:
Old 05-16-24, 11:31 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,528

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Liked 4,120 Times in 1,989 Posts
Looks Like Yeti and Cycle Art - That's a double header for "buy it now" - if it fits/price is right

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/head-bi...the-90.697843/ - has some info
Link from thread above - https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/yeti...10008/?t=10008
pic from link above:


Edit: interesting, the logo on downtube by the "d" in Head seems to the same as - https://www.head-bike.com/mtb/

Last edited by SoCaled; 05-16-24 at 11:37 AM.
SoCaled is offline  
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 05-16-24, 12:11 PM
  #6  
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Dickinson, ND
Posts: 247

Bikes: Some old ones and some new ones

Liked 212 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaled
Looks Like Yeti and Cycle Art - That's a double header for "buy it now" - if it fits/price is right

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/head-bi...the-90.697843/ - has some info
Link from thread above - https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/yeti...10008/?t=10008
pic from link above:


Edit: interesting, the logo on downtube by the "d" in Head seems to the same as - https://www.head-bike.com/mtb/
Definitely not the same bike as the OPs...Yeti frame has loop style stays/dropouts and straight line chainstays, whereas OP bike has a bend or kink in the chainstays, and non-looping rear triangle. I'm not saying it wasn't built by Yeti -- I have no idea -- but it's not the same frame as in the Yeti/Head ad.

Downtube also totally different design.

Last edited by Maxey; 05-16-24 at 12:28 PM.
Maxey is offline  
Old 05-16-24, 12:22 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 4,183

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Liked 3,758 Times in 1,273 Posts
Originally Posted by brandonk
This bike popped up at my local Play-it-again sports and I am struggling to find a reason not to buy it. I am curious if anyone can ID the manufacturer, it is branded as Head (frame and seat) and has a CycleArt decal on the chainstay.
That looks like a Nishiki Alien to me.

Likely repaint and fitted with modern components, if it's not priced outrageously I would buy it in a heartbeat.
abshipp is online now  
Old 05-16-24, 12:25 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,528

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Liked 4,120 Times in 1,989 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxey
Definitely not the same bike as the OPs...Yeti frame has loop style stays/dropouts and straight line chainstays, whereas OP bike has a bend or kink in the chainstays, and non-looping rear triangle. I'm not saying it wasn't built by Yeti -- I have no idea -- but it's not the same frame as in the Yeti/Head ad.

Downtube also totally different design.
Agreed, I meant to put a qualifier with the link, I had assumed this was a different year?. The font does seem to be the same, and the Cycle Art connection, but maybe just coincidence?

I also noted that The OP's bike has the logo for the modern "Head" bike company, which is part of the "Head" sports group that makes the tennis racquets and Walmart bikes
SoCaled is offline  
Old 05-16-24, 12:31 PM
  #9  
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Dickinson, ND
Posts: 247

Bikes: Some old ones and some new ones

Liked 212 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaled
Agreed, I meant to put a qualifier with the link, I had assumed this was a different year?. The font does seem to be the same, and the Cycle Art connection, but maybe just coincidence?

I also noted that The OP's bike has the logo for the modern "Head" bike company, which is part of the "Head" sports group that makes the tennis racquets and Walmart bikes
In any event, the big box and department stores weren't selling such frames so it's probably a quality frame whatever its origins. Someone spending CycleArt money on the paint would tend to support that also.
Maxey is offline  
Old 05-16-24, 03:14 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,175
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
Head is a ski brand, they were sold at sporting goods stores. I have a Research Dynamics, same sort of thing.

Often pretty good part spec with cheaper frame. The one I have had full 8spd XT with a pretty generic alloy frame.
wesmamyke is offline  
Old 05-16-24, 03:28 PM
  #11  
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Posts: 28,584

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Liked 4,519 Times in 2,134 Posts
Old frame clearly modernized with modern 1X parts on it.

Unless this thing is priced at eBay crack pipe levels, this is "buy it and don't ask questions" territory.

-Kurt
__________________












cudak888 is offline  
Likes For cudak888:
Old 05-16-24, 09:03 PM
  #12  
Henderson, NV
 
Desert Ryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Henderson/Las Vegas NV
Posts: 583

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Liked 653 Times in 321 Posts
Out of curiosity, How much are they asking for the bike?

I love e-stay bikes.I have one. I used to work in San Marcos CA near CycleArt.

You can ask on the FB group Elevated Chainstay Society. I'm a member there.It's a public group

www.facebook.com/groups/640374017347995/

Found in the media section.


Last edited by Desert Ryder; 05-16-24 at 09:27 PM.
Desert Ryder is offline  
Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 05-17-24, 06:50 AM
  #13  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 112

Bikes: 84 John Howard, 85 Raleigh Kodiak, 84 Ross Mt whitney, 74 Masi, 82 Allez

Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Ryder
Out of curiosity, How much are they asking for the bike?

I love e-stay bikes.I have one. I used to work in San Marcos CA near CycleArt.

You can ask on the FB group Elevated Chainstay Society. I'm a member there.It's a public group

www.facebook.com/groups/640374017347995/

Found in the media section.

I'll have to join that group. I did end up going back and purchasing for $200 but won't be able to pick it up for another week at the end of the cool down period. I like the current build on it but it was executed poorly so the test ride was a bit sketchy, once I get it sorted out I'll post some pics.
brandonk is offline  
Likes For brandonk:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.