Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Old 02-09-08, 06:56 PM
  #451  
Bikedued
Senior Member
 
Bikedued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,929
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool GT wharfrat! You seldom see a MTB from back then with a tasteful paint scheme. No offense to the owners of the eye poppers, but I'll take a conservative scheme every time. Probably the only thing in my
life that goes that way.,,,,BD

If it's any consolation I saw the wildest MTB paint in the world last weekend at the flea market. It was a Raleigh. Medium dark purple, with day glo orange everywhere two tubes met. Jebus it was unsightly, lol.,,,,BD
__________________
So many bikes, so little dime.
Bikedued is offline  
Old 02-09-08, 09:32 PM
  #452  
wharfrat
Senior Member
 
wharfrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 258

Bikes: LeMond Etape, Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued View Post
Cool GT wharfrat! You seldom see a MTB from back then with a tasteful paint scheme. No offense to the owners of the eye poppers, but I'll take a conservative scheme every time. Probably the only thing in my
life that goes that way.,,,,BD

If it's any consolation I saw the wildest MTB paint in the world last weekend at the flea market. It was a Raleigh. Medium dark purple, with day glo orange everywhere two tubes met. Jebus it was unsightly, lol.,,,,BD
Thanks..I'm still trying to figure out what year it is. I'm finding out that a lot of the components I had around that I was going to slap on it to upgrade won't fit. It appears to have a 26.4 seatpost dia. and an odd headset size. Not sure yet... I haven't spent much time messing with it yet.
wharfrat is offline  
Old 02-09-08, 09:35 PM
  #453  
Bikedued
Senior Member
 
Bikedued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,929
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try vintage-trek.com, they have a component code deciphering page. That may narrow it down to
a year range.,,,,,BD
__________________
So many bikes, so little dime.
Bikedued is offline  
Old 02-09-08, 09:38 PM
  #454  
solveg
Squirrel
 
solveg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winfield, KS
Posts: 4,928

Bikes: 07 Rivendell Atlantis, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Y'know, I don't know a thing about GT. Do you know much about the bikes in general? I see a lot of them. I like how yours looks...it looks like all business.
__________________
solveg is offline  
Old 02-09-08, 09:44 PM
  #455  
bcoppola
King of the molehills
 
bcoppola's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Detroit 'burbs, east side.
Posts: 1,194

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My "frigid rigid" (Solveg's term in a 50+ thread) Trek 820 for easy two tracks and winter road riding, with about $110 in upgrade/repair parts and new tires. Originally $25 on CL. Had been 'rode hard and put away wet'. It was this winter's project. Actually my first ever mountain bike. Heavy but surprisingly nimble and I think I like the Biopace rings! Originals, also Biopace, were steel & badly worn. Sheldon's article convinced me to give them a try so I got that LX Biopace crankset on eBay.



I posted other pix in the "frigid rigid" thread in 50+.

Last edited by bcoppola; 02-09-08 at 09:52 PM.
bcoppola is offline  
Old 02-09-08, 09:49 PM
  #456  
Bikedued
Senior Member
 
Bikedued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,929
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They were an American brand, made in the USA. Of course they went overseas for manufacturing
like most US brands worth a damn seem to. They're making a comeback lately, after the name was bought by Pacific and a stint as dept store bikes. I'm not sure who owns them now. They were VERY famous for their early BMX bikes, which bring pretty big money now. That's about all I know about GT, unfortunately.,,,,BD

The main thing I hate about the one I had, was the little plastic tube that bends around the seat tube for the brake cable.


http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/gt_bicycles/3753
__________________
So many bikes, so little dime.

Last edited by Bikedued; 02-09-08 at 09:56 PM.
Bikedued is offline  
Old 02-11-08, 03:19 AM
  #457  
aesmith
Senior Member
 
aesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 162

Bikes: Dawes road bike and Trek Antelope 850

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually my wife's bike. Mid '80s (I think) Trek Antelope 850, Suntour 7 speed with cantilever brakes.

aesmith is offline  
Old 02-11-08, 05:57 AM
  #458  
Bikedued
Senior Member
 
Bikedued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,929
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am I seeing things, or is G W riding your wife's bike?,,,,BD
__________________
So many bikes, so little dime.
Bikedued is offline  
Old 02-11-08, 11:06 AM
  #459  
wharfrat
Senior Member
 
wharfrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 258

Bikes: LeMond Etape, Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bsyptak View Post
1991 GT Avalanche, originally with Rock Shox Mag 20s. Not much left of the original bike except bars, shifters, grips, ders, crank. Can't part with the frame though!

I'm starting to get into these GT's. I've aquired two now. Yours is really cool!!
wharfrat is offline  
Old 02-11-08, 03:55 PM
  #460  
aesmith
Senior Member
 
aesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 162

Bikes: Dawes road bike and Trek Antelope 850

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued View Post
Am I seeing things, or is G W riding your wife's bike?,,,,BD
Oh my god, I see what you mean.
aesmith is offline  
Old 02-11-08, 04:36 PM
  #461  
eastcoaststeve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 426
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finished the resto/conversion of my dream bike a few weeks ago; here's how it turned out:

















Steve
eastcoaststeve is offline  
Old 02-11-08, 05:11 PM
  #462  
solveg
Squirrel
 
solveg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winfield, KS
Posts: 4,928

Bikes: 07 Rivendell Atlantis, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eastcoaststeve View Post
Finished the resto/conversion of my dream bike a few weeks ago; here's how it turned out:
What was involved? Do you have any before photos? It looks new!
__________________
solveg is offline  
Old 02-11-08, 05:14 PM
  #463  
comoto
Senior Member
 
comoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 95 GT Backwoods with 7 speed Alivio and Its completely original (Polished Aluminum Chrome looking type thingy) I love the trigger shifters. Ill get some pics tomorrow as its dark out....
comoto is offline  
Old 02-11-08, 08:31 PM
  #464  
eastcoaststeve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 426
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg View Post
What was involved? Do you have any before photos? It looks new!



Here's the pic I got from the seller on CL:







The minute I saw it, I knew it needed to be saved and in my garage. Hard to tell from the pic, but the paint has a million chips, scrapes, etc. The rear wheel is an el cheapo replacement, the seat post is cracked, grips and cables are shot, there are two small cracks in the seat tube at the stop drill hole (I'm leaving them be and keeping my eye on them for now), etc...

Stripped it down to the frame, cleaned, re-greased, polished all the bits, built a new "correct" rear wheel, added a few new parts and some stuff I've had hanging around since bitd and when all was said and done I'm happier than a 5 year-old on Christmas morning.



Steve
eastcoaststeve is offline  
Old 02-11-08, 08:36 PM
  #465  
solveg
Squirrel
 
solveg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winfield, KS
Posts: 4,928

Bikes: 07 Rivendell Atlantis, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eastcoaststeve View Post
The minute I saw it, I knew it needed to be saved and in my garage. Hard to tell from the pic, but the paint has a million chips, scrapes, etc. The rear wheel is an el cheapo replacement, the seat post is cracked, grips and cables are shot, there are two small cracks in the seat tube at the stop drill hole (I'm leaving them be and keeping my eye on them for now), etc...

Stripped it down to the frame, cleaned, re-greased, polished all the bits, built a new "correct" rear wheel, added a few new parts and some stuff I've had hanging around since bitd and when all was said and done I'm happier than a 5 year-old on Christmas morning.



Steve

I'll bet! How did you match that paint job? Or did you do a fantastic touch up job? It looks excellent!
__________________
solveg is offline  
Old 02-11-08, 08:48 PM
  #466  
eastcoaststeve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 426
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg View Post
I'll bet! How did you match that paint job? Or did you do a fantastic touch up job? It looks excellent!


Thanks, but believe it or not, all I did with the paint was clean, degrease, and wax. It still has all the scratches and scrapes, but they don't show in the pics from a few feet away. I'm a huge fan of "survivor" builds and wouldn't repaint/powder a vintage frame if you put a gun to my head unless it was so far gone that it was going to cause structural problems down the road (wish I had "before" pics of my Bianchi to give you an example).

I'm still a little nervous riding it hard after seeing how much the boys in Europe are paying for them on ebay, but I figure I got it for a reasonable price, only added about $100 in resto, and am into it for less than a mid-range cookie cutter Trek, so I might as well ride it like I stole it and enjoy every minute of it.


Steve
eastcoaststeve is offline  
Old 02-11-08, 09:48 PM
  #467  
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!
 
WNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Arrid Zone-a
Posts: 5,964

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by comoto View Post
I have a 95 GT Backwoods with 7 speed Alivio and Its completely original (Polished Aluminum Chrome looking type thingy) I love the trigger shifters. Ill get some pics tomorrow as its dark out....

That would be a ball-burnished finish. I love the look of these frames, always wanted a GT like that.
I came across one for sale, but the frame was cracked.
Can't wait for the pics!
WNG is offline  
Old 02-11-08, 10:35 PM
  #468  
luker
juneeaa memba!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: boogled up in...Idaho!
Posts: 5,632

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eastcoaststeve View Post

I'm still a little nervous riding it hard after seeing how much the boys in Europe are paying for them on ebay, but I figure I got it for a reasonable price, only added about $100 in resto, and am into it for less than a mid-range cookie cutter Trek, so I might as well ride it like I stole it and enjoy every minute of it.


Steve

If you can hurt that bike you need a contract.

It turned out great, btw. I'd really like to have one set up just like that. Have you weighed it?
luker is offline  
Old 02-25-08, 04:25 PM
  #469  
CACycling
Senior Member
 
CACycling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 4,564

Bikes: '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


Picked up this 1986 Diamondback Ascent for $40 last September after giving my son my newer, little-used MTB. After some clean up, lubing, tuning and a few parts, I ended up rediscovering my love of cycling (after a 30 year lapse) and have put almost 900 miles on this bike since then.
CACycling is offline  
Old 02-25-08, 06:02 PM
  #470  
roccobike
Bike Junkie
 
roccobike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
Posts: 9,552

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CACycling View Post
Picked up this 1986 Diamondback Ascent for $40 last September after giving my son my newer, little-used MTB. After some clean up, lubing, tuning and a few parts, I ended up rediscovering my love of cycling (after a 30 year lapse) and have put almost 900 miles on this bike since then.
Nice looking bike. Are you riding off road with it?
__________________
Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator
roccobike is offline  
Old 02-25-08, 06:48 PM
  #471  
Re-Cycle
<3s bikes
 
Re-Cycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 1,063

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eastcoaststeve View Post
Finished the resto/conversion of my dream bike a few weeks ago; here's how it turned out:

















Steve
Bravo, you breathed new live in to that bike. By the way, hows that headset works. I can't seem to see the separate top nuts.
Re-Cycle is offline  
Old 02-25-08, 06:49 PM
  #472  
roccobike
Bike Junkie
 
roccobike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
Posts: 9,552

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bikedued View Post
They were an American brand, made in the USA. Of course they went overseas for manufacturing
like most US brands worth a damn seem to. They're making a comeback lately, after the name was bought by Pacific and a stint as dept store bikes. I'm not sure who owns them now. They were VERY famous for their early BMX bikes, which bring pretty big money now. That's about all I know about GT, unfortunately.,,,,BD
BD, GT is owned by Pacific Cycles who is owned by Doral Indistries. Pacific also owns Mongoose, Schwinn..........Murray, Roadmaster and now (gulp) Cannondale. According to a recent press release, Doral intends to market Cannondale and GT to bike shops.
I believe they intend to market Mongoose, Schwinn and GT to sports stores and Roadmaster, Schwinn, Mongoose and Murray to discount stores. Doral is a Canadian company.
I recently saw a Mongoose road bike with a $2500+ price tag and some upscale Schwinn's at a Performance bike shop.
__________________
Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator
roccobike is offline  
Old 02-25-08, 07:37 PM
  #473  
eastcoaststeve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 426
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Re-Cycle View Post
Bravo, you breathed new live in to that bike. By the way, hows that headset works. I can't seem to see the separate top nuts.


Re-Cycle,

Thanks. I'm really stoked with how it turned out. Rides even better than it looks and at 19lbs, it floats over the singletrack. I feel like a kid again every time I ride it.

The headset is Klein's integrated design;here are a few pics I aleady had to give you a better look:


















Steve
eastcoaststeve is offline  
Old 02-25-08, 07:56 PM
  #474  
CACycling
Senior Member
 
CACycling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 4,564

Bikes: '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike View Post
Nice looking bike. Are you riding off road with it?
Thanks. All street miles so far but plan to take it along camping soon to see how it handles the trails.
CACycling is offline  
Old 03-15-08, 06:18 PM
  #475  
epicurean
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Philadelphia's western 'burbs
Posts: 238

Bikes: '89 Bridgestone MB-3, '91 Bridgestone CB-0, '92 Bridgestone RB-2, '94 Bridgestone MB-2, '96 Trek 8000, '05 Jamis Dakar XC Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a Trek 7000, circa '89-'90. The parts mix varies in age, as I built it up from an Ebay frameset. The result was a really nice-riding, lightweight bike.




epicurean is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.