Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Old 04-15-24, 03:05 PM
  #9051  
Cantilever believer
 
RCMoeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,655
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 1,949 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
First up: a matched set of pink and white 1986 Trek 850s. Suntour XC stems, derailleurs, and sealed bearing hubs, power ratchet friction shifters, rollercam rear brakes, Specialized triple cranks, wide-range Shimano 5-speed freewheels. Other than the tires, in decent shape too. These may get rebuilt as city bikes, unless we find someone(s) who want them in their current two-wheel time capsule condition.

We took this pair down to the semi-annual GABA Tucson bike swap yesterday. Didn't get a chance to clean them up beforehand. They elicited a lot of glances and comments on the "pinnacle of pre-indexing" componentry - and the rather unique color scheme. Wasn't able to sell either of these, even with a $175 asking price, although a dealer/collector/refurbisher did make a modest offer for both, which we politely declined and he politely understood. Although his drooling over the bikes did make them easier to shine up a bit.
__________________
Richard C. Moeur, PE - Phoenix AZ, USA
https://www.richardcmoeur.com/bikestuf.html
RCMoeur is offline  
Old 04-16-24, 09:00 AM
  #9052  
Full Member
 
SDHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 302

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn High Sierra, 1989 Supergo Access Comp, 1989 Nishiki Pinnacle,1990 Trek 750, 1990 Trek 970, 1991 Miyata Quickcross, 1992 Bridgestone RB-2, 2002 Stumpjumper M4 Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
We took this pair down to the semi-annual GABA Tucson bike swap yesterday. Didn't get a chance to clean them up beforehand. They elicited a lot of glances and comments on the "pinnacle of pre-indexing" componentry - and the rather unique color scheme. Wasn't able to sell either of these, even with a $175 asking price, although a dealer/collector/refurbisher did make a modest offer for both, which we politely declined and he politely understood. Although his drooling over the bikes did make them easier to shine up a bit.
Cool bikes, but yah in this market I think $175 is a bit high. If they were cleaned, tuned and serviced (hubs, BB) I would expect to sell locally (in SoCal) for $140-50 each. BTW, you said 5-speed cog... I think 6 speed is more likely?
SDHawk is offline  
Old 04-16-24, 11:01 AM
  #9053  
Cantilever believer
 
RCMoeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,655
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 1,949 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by SDHawk
Cool bikes, but yah in this market I think $175 is a bit high. If they were cleaned, tuned and serviced (hubs, BB) I would expect to sell locally (in SoCal) for $140-50 each. BTW, you said 5-speed cog... I think 6 speed is more likely?
Nope - 5 speed rear on both. 120 mm OLD. Shimano 600 freewheels, 14-17-20-25-32.

Also, no hub work needed, as they have Suntour XC cartridge bearing hubs which spin like new. They were 100% ready to ride - just needed a bit of cleaning.
__________________
Richard C. Moeur, PE - Phoenix AZ, USA
https://www.richardcmoeur.com/bikestuf.html

Last edited by RCMoeur; 04-16-24 at 04:51 PM.
RCMoeur is offline  
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 04-20-24, 06:48 PM
  #9054  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Ogden, Utah
Posts: 879
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 706 Times in 268 Posts
Just added this old thing to the herd:




1996 Gary Fisher Aquila
Smokinapankake is offline  
Old 05-02-24, 10:24 AM
  #9055  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2023
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
City commuter bikes

I agree with other forum members that this old vintage mountain bikes are definitely good city commuter bikes. Specially the ones with hard tail and fork suspension combination

Last edited by DiaMongIbis; 05-02-24 at 02:34 PM.
DiaMongIbis is offline  
Old 05-02-24, 02:02 PM
  #9056  
Senior Member
 
3speedslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 9,361

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 649 Posts
Put this 1996 Trek 930 back on the road and added it to my keeper list. Have had it for a few years now.

Today after the shake out ride. Going to switch the pedals to MTB clips. Keeping it a 1X7 here in Flatlandia.
3speedslow is offline  
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 05-02-24, 02:38 PM
  #9057  
Senior Member
 
Bianchi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 710

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
Just added this old thing to the herd:




1996 Gary Fisher Aquila
Looks awesome! Even kept the bar ends!
Bianchi84 is offline  
Old 05-08-24, 10:18 AM
  #9058  
Ride more, eat less
 
cat0020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philla PA, Hoboken NJ, Brooklyn NY
Posts: 2,099

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked 760 Times in 468 Posts


cat0020 is offline  
Likes For cat0020:
Old 05-08-24, 10:56 AM
  #9059  
Steel is real
 
georges1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Not far from Paris
Posts: 2,030

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked 1,010 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020


very nice bike
georges1 is offline  
Likes For georges1:
Old 05-10-24, 03:53 AM
  #9060  
Steel is real
 
styggno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,113

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 1,115 Times in 310 Posts
My 1992 Diamond Back Axis Pro (M900 XTR) getting some attention. I needed the rigid Tange Struts fork for another project but had a fork from a Axis (sans the pro) that I painted black and put there instead. Did some paint infills on the frame and then rubbed and waxed it. Came out fine. Mavic seatpost, Brooks Swift saddle and a shorter no-name stem.



Last edited by styggno1; 05-10-24 at 04:01 AM.
styggno1 is offline  
Old 05-10-24, 06:38 AM
  #9061  
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Dickinson, ND
Posts: 236

Bikes: Some old ones and some new ones

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 96 Posts
Looks great, styggno1. Love the Swift saddle. I have some of the Nobby Nics (27.5x3.0) on one of my modern MTBs and find they roll extremely well even if they aren't the absolute grippiest tire as a front tire. What size are the ones on your bike if you don't mind me asking?
Maxey is offline  
Likes For Maxey:
Old 05-10-24, 08:22 AM
  #9062  
Senior Member
 
Bianchi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 710

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by styggno1
My 1992 Diamond Back Axis Pro (M900 XTR) getting some attention. I needed the rigid Tange Struts fork for another project but had a fork from a Axis (sans the pro) that I painted black and put there instead. Did some paint infills on the frame and then rubbed and waxed it. Came out fine. Mavic seatpost, Brooks Swift saddle and a shorter no-name stem.


What bars are those? They look straight with zero bend zero rise. I have Kestrel carbon bars like that on my 1984 Cannondale SM 600. I cut them short ( like we did back then). Are you keeping the bars? What's your comfort assessment on them?
Beautiful bike... enjoy it!

Bianchi84 is offline  
Likes For Bianchi84:
Old 05-10-24, 09:30 AM
  #9063  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA - Southwest PA
Posts: 3,223

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 1,151 Posts
‘cut them short’ - they were already short

I’ve replaced a few 560 mm handlebars with 585 mm bars just to get the extra 25 mm length

there is a fairly good supply of narrow bars - many were crimped due to overly tight bar end clamps and were then cut (or need to be cut)
t2p is offline  
Old 05-10-24, 10:26 AM
  #9064  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 621
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 260 Times in 151 Posts
I restored the twin of your DB Axis, local barn find. They are nice bikes.
VtwinVince is offline  
Old 05-11-24, 07:54 PM
  #9065  
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 7,736

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 2,707 Times in 1,261 Posts
Wannabe...
curbtender is offline  
Old 05-11-24, 11:13 PM
  #9066  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 464

Bikes: 91 Ritchey Ultra, 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1990 Klein Rascal, 97 Trek OCLV9700, 90 Minnelli Eclipse, 95 Marin Bear Valley SE, 1991 Breezer Lightning Flash 1991 Diamondback Axis 1992 Stumpjumper Comp 1983 Stumpjumper Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 684 Times in 241 Posts

1996 parts bin build for my daughter, light as a feather fast AF🤤
victorm is offline  
Old 05-13-24, 03:49 AM
  #9067  
Steel is real
 
styggno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,113

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 1,115 Times in 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxey
Looks great, styggno1. Love the Swift saddle. I have some of the Nobby Nics (27.5x3.0) on one of my modern MTBs and find they roll extremely well even if they aren't the absolute grippiest tire as a front tire. What size are the ones on your bike if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks and I am sorry for the late reply. Went away for a couple of days. The size is 26" 2.4 and the rims are 19mm (inside).

Originally Posted by Bianchi84
What bars are those? They look straight with zero bend zero rise. I have Kestrel carbon bars like that on my 1984 Cannondale SM 600. I cut them short ( like we did back then). Are you keeping the bars? What's your comfort assessment on them?
Beautiful bike... enjoy it!
I believe the bar is of the brand Attack and there is a little bend actually. They came with a Heavy Tools bike I have (Austrian 1990ies brand) and used on that bike I liked the "comfort"... The original bars for the Axis Pro are Avenir bullhorn bars.
styggno1 is offline  
Likes For styggno1:
Old 05-13-24, 07:25 AM
  #9068  
Junior Member
 
enjoybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: montana
Posts: 197

Bikes: Early 90's Pinarello Gavia, '84 Guerciotti, '91 GF Hoo Koo e Koo, '88 Giant Iguana, '09 Specialized XC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
86 Schwinn Sierra




Nice example, acquired as part of a lot ďmust take allĒ bikes from a gent who wanted the space back in his back yard. Cleaned, new cables, housings, chain, otherwise parts bin. Repacked bearings. My favorite part is the white hubs.
enjoybikes is offline  
Old 05-13-24, 08:47 AM
  #9069  
Senior Member
 
3speedslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 9,361

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 649 Posts
Youíve done a nice job on that Sierra!

I see the tires you have chosen are 1.50. Planning on keeping it as a road machine? Canít believe these MTB Schwinns were specíed with 1.75 tires back then. My 84 High Sierra has 2.125 now and like how rides.

Always great to see another Schwinn MTB back on the trail!
3speedslow is offline  
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 05-13-24, 10:27 AM
  #9070  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Oregon
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Youíve done a nice job on that Sierra!

I see the tires you have chosen are 1.50. Planning on keeping it as a road machine? Canít believe these MTB Schwinns were specíed with 1.75 tires back then. My 84 High Sierra has 2.125 now and like how rides.

Always great to see another Schwinn MTB back on the trail!
Thatís a beautiful bike! I also have 2.1Ē on my Ď86 High Sierra and I love how they ride on it, but they just barely fit between the chain stays. I canít believe they didnít allow for bigger tires. I had to add some dimpling to the chain stays and I still have to make sure the rear wheel is exactly aligned and that the wheel is precisely true. Smaller tires would certainly improve the margin for irregularities.
daywood is offline  
Old 05-13-24, 12:08 PM
  #9071  
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 13,186

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4553 Post(s)
Liked 6,512 Times in 3,737 Posts
This is here already but I finally cracked the code and notched a win for best original at the Albany (OR) Vintage bike show, turn out was a little thin and they are not our tribe but the Ritchey finally got me there after going 6 or 7 times.

Pretty good group of folks and are always glad to have you but really a balloon tire/BMX crowd with some MTB tendancies.


merziac is online now  
Old 05-13-24, 12:55 PM
  #9072  
Senior Member
 
2cam16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Mateo,Ca.
Posts: 3,998

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 606 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
This is here already but I finally cracked the code and notched a win for best original at the Albany (OR) Vintage bike show, turn out was a little thin and they are not our tribe but the Ritchey finally got me there after going 6 or 7 times.

Pretty good group of folks and are always glad to have you but really a balloon tire/BMX crowd with some MTB tendancies.


2cam16 is offline  
Old 05-13-24, 01:25 PM
  #9073  
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Dickinson, ND
Posts: 236

Bikes: Some old ones and some new ones

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
This is here already but I finally cracked the code and notched a win for best original at the Albany (OR) Vintage bike show, turn out was a little thin and they are not our tribe but the Ritchey finally got me there after going 6 or 7 times.

Pretty good group of folks and are always glad to have you but really a balloon tire/BMX crowd with some MTB tendancies.
Nice work, Mr. merziac. That is one beautiful vintage Ritchey.
Maxey is offline  
Likes For Maxey:
Old 05-13-24, 01:33 PM
  #9074  
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 13,186

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4553 Post(s)
Liked 6,512 Times in 3,737 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxey
Nice work, Mr. merziac. That is one beautiful vintage Ritchey.
Tx, built up from frame only, had been hoarding parts for a long term Stumpy project so this was a no brainer when it came along, still have some good parts so the Stumpy may get a klunker build at some point, it has horrible paint that looks like it was scraped very hard in some places with serrated kitchen knife.

PS, I'm just merziac, Jim would be Mr.
merziac is online now  
Likes For merziac:
Old 05-13-24, 01:46 PM
  #9075  
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Dickinson, ND
Posts: 236

Bikes: Some old ones and some new ones

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Tx, built up from frame only, had been hoarding parts for a long term Stumpy project so this was a no brainer when it came along, still have some good parts so the Stumpy may get a klunker build at some point, it has horrible paint that looks like it was scraped very hard in some places with serrated kitchen knife.

PS, I'm just merziac, Jim would be Mr.
Interesting, Jim. Is the Ritchey to catalogue spec or did you take some liberties?

I have an opportunity to buy a little used '91 Stumpjumper Team (the one with the wild purpleish/black paint and the yellow graphics), but unfortunately the frame is only 18" so too small for me -- I'm fine with anything from 19" to 20". Thing is, it's still catalog spec with all the Suntour XC Pro components in fine, little used condition. They're asking $450 for the bike and I'm tempted to make an offer to scoop up the parts and recoup some of the money by selling the frame. I hate to part out a nice original Stumpy like that, but it's no good to me in the wrong size even if it would get ridden very little.
Maxey is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.