Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Old 06-04-24, 01:25 PM
  #9126  
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Dickinson, ND
Posts: 260

Bikes: Some old ones and some new ones

Liked 227 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Please don't break up that beauty. If it was 17" I'd happily take the frameset off your hands; good thing for me it isn't. Good luck deciding what to do with it.
I'm pretty sure it's an 18" comparing it to the two Rockhopper Comps I have -- one a 19.5 and the other a 20.5 which both fit me fine.

So yes, I find myself on the horns of a dilemma as they say. Really too nice to break up, but I do need parts for the Bianchi Sika, though I've already checked and the rear spacing isn't the same and there might be a few other compatibility issues, bottom bracket etc.

I think it would make life much easier if I located and went with the stock Shimano Deore group the Bianchi originally came with rather than the XC Pro stuff on the Stumpy. Decisions, decisions...

Last edited by Maxey; 06-04-24 at 01:36 PM.
Maxey is offline  
Likes For Maxey:
Old 06-04-24, 01:39 PM
  #9127  
Full Member
 
SDHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 320

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn High Sierra, 1989 Supergo Access Comp, 1989 Nishiki Pinnacle,1990 Trek 750, 1990 Trek 970, 1991 Miyata Quickcross, 1992 Bridgestone RB-2, 2002 Stumpjumper M4 Pro

Liked 332 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxey
I'm pretty sure it's an 18" comparing it to the two Rockhopper Comps I have -- one a 19.5 and the other a 20.5 which both fit me fine.

So yes, I find myself on the horns of a dilemma as they say. Really too nice to break up, but I do need parts for the Bianchi Sika, though I've already checked and the rear spacing isn't the same and there might be a few other compatibility issues, bottom bracket etc.

I think it would make life much easier if I went with the stock Shimano Deore group the Bianchi originally came with rather than the XC Pro stuff on the Stumpy. Decisions, decisions...
Too bad we're not neighbors or I'd trade a nice 1987 High Sierra w Deore for it. A bit too big for me. Tho the 87 is only 6 speed so maybe wouldn't work out anyway. Check out the brakes.



SDHawk is offline  
Likes For SDHawk:
Old 06-04-24, 01:50 PM
  #9128  
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Dickinson, ND
Posts: 260

Bikes: Some old ones and some new ones

Liked 227 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by SDHawk
Too bad we're not neighbors or I'd trade a nice 1987 High Sierra w Deore for it. A bit too big for me. Tho the 87 is only 6 speed so maybe wouldn't work out anyway. Check out the brakes.
Nice High Sierra, SD. I've always liked the black chrome ones, a friend had one. His had the funky rollercam brakes too. Heck if I put your bar and stem on the Stumpy it would probably fit me fine!
Maxey is offline  
Likes For Maxey:
Old 06-04-24, 01:58 PM
  #9129  
Senior Member
 
2cam16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Mateo,Ca.
Posts: 4,018

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Liked 976 Times in 619 Posts
[QUOTE=SDHawk;23259417]
Originally Posted by Maxey
Here's a '91 Stumpjumper Team I picked up a few weeks ago. As far as I can tell it's completely original from the grips to the pedals to the saddle and everything else; the only exception is the tires I believe, though the rear may be original. It's one size too small for me which I knew going in; I bought it to harvest the parts for a '91 Bianchi Sika frameset in my size. Now after cleaning it up and touching up the several handfuls of chips in the paint I don't know if I have the heart to break up such a nice original.


/QUOTE]

Wow, that's a beauty. I vote for keeping it together! In fact, it's my size so I vote for sending it to me (jk). I'm in San Diego, just fyi haha
Beauty! Looks like the same metallic purple paint on my 90's Sirrus. Keep it!!
2cam16 is offline  
Old 06-04-24, 02:03 PM
  #9130  
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Dickinson, ND
Posts: 260

Bikes: Some old ones and some new ones

Liked 227 Times in 109 Posts
[QUOTE=2cam16;23259526]
Originally Posted by SDHawk
Beauty! Looks like the same metallic purple paint on my 90's Sirrus. Keep it!!
Yep, it's that crazy dark purple -- I thought the bike was black at first. It's a very cool color. Knowing me I'll end up keeping the bike purely as a display piece or as an occasional rider for some of my height-challenged friends.
Maxey is offline  
Likes For Maxey:
Old 06-04-24, 02:04 PM
  #9131  
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 13,348

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Liked 6,644 Times in 3,810 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxey
Here's a '91 Stumpjumper Team I picked up a few weeks ago. As far as I can tell it's completely original from the grips to the pedals to the saddle and everything else; the only exception is the tires I believe, though the rear may be original. It's one size too small for me which I knew going in; I bought it to harvest the parts for a '91 Bianchi Sika frameset in my size. Now after cleaning it up and touching up the several handfuls of chips in the paint I don't know if I have the heart to break up such a nice original.


Certainly no expert but that is a very big spacer, can't imagine the factory would do that, especially big S and the fact that these like to bend axles when ridden as intended.

And I have an 86 that is in similar shape, this one and it are amazing despite the fugly unibrow fork.
merziac is online now  
Old 06-04-24, 02:39 PM
  #9132  
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Dickinson, ND
Posts: 260

Bikes: Some old ones and some new ones

Liked 227 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Certainly no expert but that is a very big spacer, can't imagine the factory would do that, especially big S and the fact that these like to bend axles when ridden as intended.

And I have an 86 that is in similar shape, this one and it are amazing despite the fugly unibrow fork.
When you say spacer, are you talking about the large silver segment with the little trough in the middle of it? You know when I went to fit this rear wheel to the Bianchi I referenced earlier it was a little too wide to fit that frame which I assumed was 130, but may be 135. Either way, I don't know if the axle spacer was ever altered. I know there's another guy here on BF (don't recall his user name) that has an identical Stumpy Team so hopefully he sees this and can chime in or even provide a photo of his rear spacer setup. It does slot into the frame with no trouble, but I don't understand why someone would widen the rear triangle on what appears to be a totally stock bike. Hmmm....

I know some people can't stand unicrown forks but it doesn't bother me at all. I suppose because my first mountain bike in '89 had one and at the time I suppose it was the state of the art. I do think a nice biplane fork is very cool (my RB-1 has one), but I wonder how they compare strengthwise and purely from the standpoint of functionality. Horses for courses, I suppose.
Maxey is offline  
Likes For Maxey:
Old 06-04-24, 03:05 PM
  #9133  
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 13,348

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Liked 6,644 Times in 3,810 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxey
When you say spacer, are you talking about the large silver segment with the little trough in the middle of it? You know when I went to fit this rear wheel to the Bianchi I referenced earlier it was a little too wide to fit that frame which I assumed was 130, but may be 135. Either way, I don't know if the axle spacer was ever altered. I know there's another guy here on BF (don't recall his user name) that has an identical Stumpy Team so hopefully he sees this and can chime in or even provide a photo of his rear spacer setup. It does slot into the frame with no trouble, but I don't understand why someone would widen the rear triangle on what appears to be a totally stock bike. Hmmm....

I know some people can't stand unicrown forks but it doesn't bother me at all. I suppose because my first mountain bike in '89 had one and at the time I suppose it was the state of the art. I do think a nice biplane fork is very cool (my RB-1 has one), but I wonder how they compare strengthwise and purely from the standpoint of functionality. Horses for courses, I suppose.
Yep, that's it and I get and understand the fork deal.

Pretty sure they are stronger, way faster, easier and cheaper to make but still way too fugly IMO.


I have a last year 94 MB-1 with the Ritchey designed, beautiful grown that Grant Peterson got Tom to let him use. Tom never produced them as he realized the fugly unibrow was the path to the $$$$$ so he designed and ran with them and got all others to follow.





And my big, chrome Ritchey, original fork likely long gone, no way to know if it had a biplane but came to me with a chrome uni, at least its lugged but that's still a no for me.




Last edited by merziac; 06-04-24 at 03:09 PM.
merziac is online now  
Old 06-04-24, 06:57 PM
  #9134  
Senior Member
 
2cam16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Mateo,Ca.
Posts: 4,018

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Liked 976 Times in 619 Posts
[QUOTE=Maxey;23259533]
Originally Posted by 2cam16

Yep, it's that crazy dark purple -- I thought the bike was black at first. It's a very cool color. Knowing me I'll end up keeping the bike purely as a display piece or as an occasional rider for some of my height-challenged friends.
Yeah most of the time my bike looks black even in pictures. Other than when the sun shines on it. lol
2cam16 is offline  
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 06-05-24, 01:18 PM
  #9135  
Happy banana slug
 
Korina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way
Posts: 3,830

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Liked 1,647 Times in 978 Posts
[QUOTE=2cam16;23259816]
Originally Posted by Maxey
Yeah most of the time my bike looks black even in pictures. Other than when the sun shines on it. lol
The 2016(?) Kona Sutra was like that; it looked black in the shop, but outside it was a deep metallic red.
Korina is offline  
Old 06-10-24, 10:25 AM
  #9136  
Senior Member
 
melville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 524
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxey
When you say spacer, are you talking about the large silver segment with the little trough in the middle of it? You know when I went to fit this rear wheel to the Bianchi I referenced earlier it was a little too wide to fit that frame which I assumed was 130, but may be 135. Either way, I don't know if the axle spacer was ever altered. I know there's another guy here on BF (don't recall his user name) that has an identical Stumpy Team so hopefully he sees this and can chime in or even provide a photo of his rear spacer setup. It does slot into the frame with no trouble, but I don't understand why someone would widen the rear triangle on what appears to be a totally stock bike. Hmmm....

I know some people can't stand unicrown forks but it doesn't bother me at all. I suppose because my first mountain bike in '89 had one and at the time I suppose it was the state of the art. I do think a nice biplane fork is very cool (my RB-1 has one), but I wonder how they compare strengthwise and purely from the standpoint of functionality. Horses for courses, I suppose.
Yes, a 1991 bike would more likely have 135 dropout spacing. I have that same GG hub on a road bike at 130 spacing and the left side spacer looks 5mm smaller than that.
melville is offline  
Old 06-10-24, 04:36 PM
  #9137  
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Dickinson, ND
Posts: 260

Bikes: Some old ones and some new ones

Liked 227 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by melville
Yes, a 1991 bike would more likely have 135 dropout spacing. I have that same GG hub on a road bike at 130 spacing and the left side spacer looks 5mm smaller than that.
Thanks for the input, melville. So do you think mine is as it was originally specced? I've been wondering about it since Merziac commented on it.
Maxey is offline  
Old 06-10-24, 06:15 PM
  #9138  
Senior Member
 
melville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 524
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxey
Thanks for the input, melville. So do you think mine is as it was originally specced? I've been wondering about it since Merziac commented on it.
Yes, I would expect so. I probably have that same spacer bouncing around my bin of random hub stuff from when I reduced mine to 130mm 30 years ago.

The early mountain bike component makers had a fantasy of a 'dishless' rear wheel and they did this by moving the right flange as close to the cogs as possible (Shimano Freehubs won that bit) and the left flange in a bit. This kinda died when we suddenly wanted 6S freewheels.

The Suntour hub you have was made by the same people who made the 'dishless' Specialized hubs, probably from the same forging.
melville is offline  
Likes For melville:
Old 06-11-24, 07:35 AM
  #9139  
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Dickinson, ND
Posts: 260

Bikes: Some old ones and some new ones

Liked 227 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by melville
Yes, I would expect so. I probably have that same spacer bouncing around my bin of random hub stuff from when I reduced mine to 130mm 30 years ago.

The early mountain bike component makers had a fantasy of a 'dishless' rear wheel and they did this by moving the right flange as close to the cogs as possible (Shimano Freehubs won that bit) and the left flange in a bit. This kinda died when we suddenly wanted 6S freewheels.

The Suntour hub you have was made by the same people who made the 'dishless' Specialized hubs, probably from the same forging.
Thanks for all the info., Melville, you seem to really know your stuff when it comes to these early MTBs. I have my own built-in biases, of course, but I find the late eighties and early 90s MTBs the most interesting -- the bicycle and component makers made some real technological strides during that era, especially in the arena of shift quality and ease of use.

I also have a '89 Rockhopper Comp and a '91 Rockhopper Comp and the differences between them are subtle but noticeable -- you can see on the '91 the trend of slanting top tubes beginning, though it only slopes very gently and not like the later, radically sloped top tubes. I think it's fascinating to be able to see and quantify the evolution of these early(ish) MTBs. Such things are really fun to think about for a dork like me!
Maxey is offline  
Likes For Maxey:
Old 06-12-24, 05:07 PM
  #9140  
Senior Member
 
3speedslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 9,409

Bikes: A few

Liked 1,171 Times in 668 Posts
So I just got handed this today, for free. Not C&V but it fits in here better then anywhere else…
2002 DB CrMo steel Specialized HardRock.

These are the “as got “ pics.

Another my sized MTB.

3speedslow is offline  
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 06-13-24, 09:27 AM
  #9141  
Senior Member
 
3speedslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 9,409

Bikes: A few

Liked 1,171 Times in 668 Posts
Next day roll around pic. Still need a longer front DR cable but the bike feels good.

Replaced the handle bar, stem, shifters, grips and saddle. Added bottle cage and switched out the front wheel with a better one. Rear will also get switched.
3speedslow is offline  
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 06-13-24, 06:13 PM
  #9142  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Mid Michigan
Posts: 275
Likes: 0
Liked 204 Times in 88 Posts
Here are 3 of mine. Schwinn PDG 30 Mostly used on dirt roads and easy trails. Mongoose PRO Rocadile , with street tires for slow rides with my wife. GT All terra , is going to be my winter beater. I have 2 more but don't have photos of them.


Oldsledz is offline  
Likes For Oldsledz:
Old 06-14-24, 08:29 AM
  #9143  
Senior Member
 
3speedslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 9,409

Bikes: A few

Liked 1,171 Times in 668 Posts
Man, big fan of the GT MTB line as well but the shot of the dirt road you get to ride on is what drew my eyes to!
around here we have ones like that but they’re all on base and the MPs will confiscate your bike if they catch you.
3speedslow is offline  
Old 06-14-24, 01:26 PM
  #9144  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 212
Liked 398 Times in 134 Posts
Hproduguidon is offline  
Old 06-14-24, 06:06 PM
  #9145  
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 7,858

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Liked 2,878 Times in 1,320 Posts
Originally Posted by Hproduguidon
Where is this at? We have a lot of empty bunkers along the Marin/SF coast but have never seen one with the cannon in it.
curbtender is offline  
Old 06-14-24, 09:06 PM
  #9146  
Henderson, NV
 
Desert Ryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Henderson/Las Vegas NV
Posts: 616

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Liked 683 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Where is this at? We have a lot of empty bunkers along the Marin/SF coast but have never seen one with the cannon in it.
My first guess would be the Maginot Line..
Desert Ryder is offline  
Old 06-15-24, 12:13 AM
  #9147  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 1,906

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Liked 612 Times in 462 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Where is this at? We have a lot of empty bunkers along the Marin/SF coast but have never seen one with the cannon in it.
If I were to guess ...

I believe that photograph is at Longues-sur-Mer along the coastal area of Normandy, France, about ~25mi northwest of Caen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longues-sur-Mer_battery
https://www.normandie-tourisme.fr/ac...ngues-sur-mer/
Clyde1820 is offline  
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 06-15-24, 10:55 AM
  #9148  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 192

Bikes: I have a few

Liked 251 Times in 97 Posts
96 Bonded Trek former Naval Station Pearl Harbor Police bike. Built with parts I’ve acquired over the years, 20/34 low gear Judy with White Brothers dampener cartridge WTB front hub

Nwvlvtnr is offline  
Likes For Nwvlvtnr:
Old 06-17-24, 11:38 AM
  #9149  
Senior Member
 
3speedslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 9,409

Bikes: A few

Liked 1,171 Times in 668 Posts
Finished overhauling the 94 Trek 850 MTB. It rides very nice but having to get use to the short Salsa MotoAce bars.

3speedslow is offline  
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 06-20-24, 06:22 AM
  #9150  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA - Southwest PA
Posts: 3,531

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Liked 2,343 Times in 1,292 Posts


vintage steel in front of vintage steel
t2p is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.