Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Totally Tubular

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Totally Tubular

Old 07-14-20, 06:40 PM
  #1651  
WGB
WGB
 
WGB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 1,776

Bikes: League Fuji

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Was planning on trying to set up tubulars this week.

Problem, I can't find anyone with Tubular glue locally. Was going to try grabbing one of the large cans I see which are the equivalent of 10 small tubes. Can order from Amazon or what have you but won't have this week. If I'm going to order I was thinking of trying the tape method. I found a listing for "CX Tape 10-wheel Shop Roll for Tubular Tires"

https://www.amazon.ca/CX-Tape-10-Whe.../dp/B008OVAMZU

(Sorry for the over sized font) Does anyone have any experience with this brand?
WGB is offline  
Old 07-14-20, 08:48 PM
  #1652  
woodcraft
Senior Member
 
woodcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 5,149
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 427 Times in 261 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrouscious View Post
I'm a pretty aggressive rider, so I want some margin of safety. At the same time, I know how to ride carefully and wish to be able to remove the tire without damaging it (fixing flats). I also live in a pretty flat area with only a few short but steep hills. Basically old school racer dude.

If you want some margin of safety, then use glue. Mastik (prob the most used currently) does not prevent the tire from being removed without damage,

nor do others IME. The idea that one needs to ride carefully so as not to have the tires come off is unfounded and will mess up your results and enjoyment.

You are likely not as aggressive a rider as top pros, and they don't hold back, in spite of arguably skimpier glue jobs that those of the anxious amateurs.
woodcraft is offline  
Old 07-15-20, 08:33 AM
  #1653  
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 13,778

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6170 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 345 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
Like smantanaro, I find the hand brush works well except on fendered bikes. That rear wheel, already prone to more flats just being a rear wheel, never gets brushed. Tiresavers are a real plus there, (They always went on my fendered and tubular bikes. Front was not required but I did on my rain bikes to keep my gloves cleaner.

Trick to reducing the noise - ride rib tread tires, those tires with longitudinal parallel ribs. Those were common on training level tubulars 45 years ago and Vittoria has brought it back with their G+ and G2,0 tires. (Aside - also my favorite tread pattern ever, Thank you Vittoria for bringing it back! Best tread ever if you have to leave the paved road surface and climb back on.)

Ben
I found myself wiping my back tire yesterday. I grabbed the seat tube and used the backs of my gloved fingers.
__________________
Well look what the cat dragged in. Such a fine addition to the thread





seedsbelize is offline  
Old 07-15-20, 08:35 AM
  #1654  
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 13,778

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6170 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 345 Posts
And I've decided to go with Yellow Jersey for my remaining two tires. I very much enjoy working with those folks.
__________________
Well look what the cat dragged in. Such a fine addition to the thread





seedsbelize is offline  
Old 07-15-20, 01:00 PM
  #1655  
smontanaro 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 3,988

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 146 Posts
I have a couple Challenge Strada tubulars (25mm) which I liked well, but which "delaminated" a while ago. I decided I would see if I could reattach the tread to the casing and stumbled on this web page

Cross Tubular Tread Repair

The author suggests this tread separation is fairly common with handmade tubulars. These Challenge sew-ups are the only ones which have suffered this way for me. I've not yet tried this repair. I'm still mulling over what sort of glue/contact cement I should use. I have a number of different things to try, Vittoria Mastik One, barge cement and cork renew (which is used for refreshing latex tanwalls). Or I can go find E-6000 at the hardware store.
__________________
I prefer you contact me by email (skip.montanaro@gmail.com).
smontanaro is offline  
Old 07-16-20, 05:08 PM
  #1656  
woodcraft
Senior Member
 
woodcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 5,149
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 427 Times in 261 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
I have a couple Challenge Strada tubulars (25mm) which I liked well, but which "delaminated" a while ago. I decided I would see if I could reattach the tread to the casing and stumbled on this web page

Cross Tubular Tread Repair

The author suggests this tread separation is fairly common with handmade tubulars. These Challenge sew-ups are the only ones which have suffered this way for me. I've not yet tried this repair. I'm still mulling over what sort of glue/contact cement I should use. I have a number of different things to try, Vittoria Mastik One, barge cement and cork renew (which is used for refreshing latex tanwalls). Or I can go find E-6000 at the hardware store.

I'd use Barge. Stick some bits in to keep the tread separate from the casing while the glue dries.

No need for all that tape, etc. & you can see the result.
woodcraft is offline  
Old 07-19-20, 11:54 AM
  #1657  
WGB
WGB
 
WGB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 1,776

Bikes: League Fuji

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Bumping to ask about that CX-10 tape.
Note on the website said the tape is used to fill in over glue to ensure full adhesion. Is that just a cya example or should it only be used with glue??

Asking because can't find an online review anywhere for this tape but like the price as I have 3 sets of wheels to set up.
WGB is offline  
Old 07-19-20, 03:34 PM
  #1658  
jonwvara 
Senior Member
 
jonwvara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Washington County, Vermont, USA
Posts: 3,159

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB View Post
Bumping to ask about that CX-10 tape.
Note on the website said the tape is used to fill in over glue to ensure full adhesion. Is that just a cya example or should it only be used with glue??

Asking because can't find an online review anywhere for this tape but like the price as I have 3 sets of wheels to set up.
I used some Jantex tape recently--being a cheap New Englander I was drawn to it like a moth to a flame because you get enough for two wheels for less than ten bucks. I haven't removed a tire yet, so have no idea how that will go, but the adhesion seems very strong.
__________________
www.redclovercomponents.com

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
jonwvara is offline  
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 07-20-20, 09:18 AM
  #1659  
Steve Whitlatch 
Senior Member
 
Steve Whitlatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 3,652
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
I purchased a set of used carbon tubulars from a local wheel builder for ny Cannondale. The set came with like new Vittoria Corsa tires already glued by the builder. They were team wheels but everyone switched to tubeless.

I got a blow out on the rear, sidewall from debris, had a spare, could not for the life of me get that tire off of the rim on the side of the road. I had to call the wife.

At home, it took me about 25 minutes of prying with a plastic lever to get enough tire off of the wheel to pull the rest. He glued them like you need to glue cross tires. A three day process he told me.

Glue overkill! I never had such a hard time getting a tire off.

Decided to replace both tires with a more moderate glue job.
__________________
My bikes: 1970`s Roberts - 1981 Miyata 912 - 1980`s Ocshner (Chrome) - 1987 Schwinn Circuit - 1987 Schwinn Prologue - 1992 Schwinn Crosspoint - 1999 Schwinn Circuit - 2014 Cannondale Super Six EVO
Steve Whitlatch is offline  
Old 07-20-20, 03:01 PM
  #1660  
tcpasley
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How many tires to buy?

Wondering how many tires y'all experienced tub riders purchase when you find a good deal. I guess the short answer is "more than 2". Is it 3 or 4 or multiples of 2?

Being of thrifty Scots descent, I usually try to rotate clinchers to get the most miles possible out of a pair, which may not be practical with tubs. Any advice on that?
tcpasley is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 12:32 AM
  #1661  
woodcraft
Senior Member
 
woodcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 5,149
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 427 Times in 261 Posts
Originally Posted by tcpasley View Post
Wondering how many tires y'all experienced tub riders purchase when you find a good deal. I guess the short answer is "more than 2". Is it 3 or 4 or multiples of 2?

Being of thrifty Scots descent, I usually try to rotate clinchers to get the most miles possible out of a pair, which may not be practical with tubs. Any advice on that?

Not more than two. Have to resist buying when the sales come by as it would take ten years to wear out what I have mounted or on hand.

Mostly it's just replacing the back tire- the front doesn't wear much.
woodcraft is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 12:39 AM
  #1662  
woodcraft
Senior Member
 
woodcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 5,149
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 427 Times in 261 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Whitlatch View Post
I purchased a set of used carbon tubulars from a local wheel builder for ny Cannondale. The set came with like new Vittoria Corsa tires already glued by the builder. They were team wheels but everyone switched to tubeless.

I got a blow out on the rear, sidewall from debris, had a spare, could not for the life of me get that tire off of the rim on the side of the road. I had to call the wife.

At home, it took me about 25 minutes of prying with a plastic lever to get enough tire off of the wheel to pull the rest. He glued them like you need to glue cross tires. A three day process he told me.

Glue overkill! I never had such a hard time getting a tire off.

Decided to replace both tires with a more moderate glue job.


That sucks. Maybe needed a knife in the kit to cut the tire off.
woodcraft is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 08:27 AM
  #1663  
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it
 
CV-6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cardinal Country
Posts: 5,033

Bikes: Lejeune, Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré, Springfield, Motobecane, John Howard, Greg Lemond

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 160 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Whitlatch View Post
I purchased a set of used carbon tubulars from a local wheel builder for ny Cannondale. The set came with like new Vittoria Corsa tires already glued by the builder. They were team wheels but everyone switched to tubeless.

I got a blow out on the rear, sidewall from debris, had a spare, could not for the life of me get that tire off of the rim on the side of the road. I had to call the wife.

At home, it took me about 25 minutes of prying with a plastic lever to get enough tire off of the wheel to pull the rest. He glued them like you need to glue cross tires. A three day process he told me.

Glue overkill! I never had such a hard time getting a tire off.

Decided to replace both tires with a more moderate glue job.
I experienced similar when I had to change my first tape job. Arthritis in my thumbs. I now carry Mafac tire levers.
__________________
Please do not "like" my posts. This isn't Facebook.

Lynn Travers

Photos

CV-6 is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 09:23 AM
  #1664  
squirtdad
Senior Member
 
squirtdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Jose (Willow Glen) Ca
Posts: 7,012

Bikes: 85 team Miyata (modern 5800 105) , '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) '82 nishiski,

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 365 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by tcpasley View Post
Wondering how many tires y'all experienced tub riders purchase when you find a good deal. I guess the short answer is "more than 2". Is it 3 or 4 or multiples of 2?

Being of thrifty Scots descent, I usually try to rotate clinchers to get the most miles possible out of a pair, which may not be practical with tubs. Any advice on that?
i have 3 one for a spare and the plan is to rotate the rear to space duty when it is worn ymmv
__________________
Looking for more time to ride what I have
squirtdad is online now  
Old 07-21-20, 09:57 AM
  #1665  
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Posts: 8,888

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2476 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 188 Posts
Originally Posted by tcpasley View Post
Wondering how many tires y'all experienced tub riders purchase when you find a good deal. I guess the short answer is "more than 2". Is it 3 or 4 or multiples of 2?

Being of thrifty Scots descent, I usually try to rotate clinchers to get the most miles possible out of a pair, which may not be practical with tubs. Any advice on that?
Most recently I bought 5, because the ones I *really* liked were being discontinued. I don't rotate them, and I don't get many flats, so when the rear is worn out I replace front and rear both, and if I do get a flat before then, I'll have some used front ones to put on.

Glue overkill! I never had such a hard time getting a tire off.
Decided to replace both tires with a more moderate glue job.
I think most sensible people start off by over-doing it. I re-evaluate my glue jobs every time I need to take a tire off and I still over-do it but not by nearly so much. Damn hard to get off, but not damn near impossible.
DiabloScott is online now  
Old 07-21-20, 11:59 AM
  #1666  
Ferrouscious
Some Weirdo
 
Ferrouscious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: SW OH
Posts: 350

Bikes: '86 Maruishi Excellence, '86 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
I think most sensible people start off by over-doing it. I re-evaluate my glue jobs every time I need to take a tire off and I still over-do it but not by nearly so much. Damn hard to get off, but not damn near impossible.
I did my first glue job this past weekend with Tubasti and a hard anodised rim. Way too skimpy! The glue didn't properly bond with the rim and left a couple 3" chunks completely de-bonded. Sanded the rims a bit today; will glue tomorrow. TubAsTI!!!
Ferrouscious is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 12:23 PM
  #1667  
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,385

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 691 Times in 478 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrouscious View Post
I did my first glue job this past weekend with Tubasti and a hard anodised rim. Way too skimpy! The glue didn't properly bond with the rim and left a couple 3" chunks completely de-bonded. Sanded the rims a bit today; will glue tomorrow. TubAsTI!!!
Did you clean the rim with solvent or powerful cleanser and get ALL of the oil and manufacturing stuff off?

I never trust new rims. Wouldn't race them until I'd pulled off a tire and the glue stayed on the rim. Sanding isn't necessary but I doubt it hurts. But sanding the surface oil into the scratches means its still on. Clean all those bare spots. Then you can fill them and let that harden. Then you can re-glue and mount the tires.

Once you have a good base and little glue pulls up with a pull-off, you will have what I loved - a good reliable, secure system where pulling the tires isn't impossible and can be done on the road and spare tires mount and stick plenty well enough to get you home. (Some glue pulling up happens. Not a big deal. This isn't like clinchers with their wire beads that MUST be very close to exactly the right diameter or mounting is completely impossible or the tire slips off and blows. Glue is VERY forgiving of discrepancies and once you've forgotten, it doesn't matter.

Ben
79pmooney is online now  
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-23-20, 11:31 PM
  #1668  
Sb23539
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New rims with issues
Sb23539 is offline  
Old 07-25-20, 10:32 AM
  #1669  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 17,018

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4518 Post(s)
Liked 808 Times in 574 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara View Post
I used some Jantex tape recently--being a cheap New Englander I was drawn to it like a moth to a flame because you get enough for two wheels for less than ten bucks. I haven't removed a tire yet, so have no idea how that will go, but the adhesion seems very strong.
Somehow I ended up with more sets of tubular wheels (and rims) than I've ever wanted to own, . I keep thinking it's time to start riding them again because I love the way they ride but gluing them is no fun. Tape is the way to go. $10 for 2 wheels which is what Jantex runs isn't bad. The Effeto Mariposa Carogna gets good reviews but it's $20 for 2 wheels.

Have you been using those taped on tubulars going down the mountains near you?
bikemig is online now  
Old 07-25-20, 12:02 PM
  #1670  
jonwvara 
Senior Member
 
jonwvara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Washington County, Vermont, USA
Posts: 3,159

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
Somehow I ended up with more sets of tubular wheels (and rims) than I've ever wanted to own, . I keep thinking it's time to start riding them again because I love the way they ride but gluing them is no fun. Tape is the way to go. $10 for 2 wheels which is what Jantex runs isn't bad. The Effeto Mariposa Carogna gets good reviews but it's $20 for 2 wheels.

Have you been using those taped on tubulars going down the mountains near you?
Well, they're not exactly mountains, but I'm on the height of land between the St. Lawrence and Connecticut Rivers. There are a lot of long steep climbs. I don't have many miles on the new wheels, in part because I'm recovering from a shovel wound on my shin several weeks ago (don't ask.) I'm also not an aggressive cornerer on steep descents. But I have a lot of confidence in the tape just from trying to shift the tires with my fingers--they seem to be really stuck on there. And as you say, the price is right.

Eugene Sloane mentions Jantex tape as an alternative to cement in my 1969 copy of The Complete Book of Bicycling. So the stuff has apparently been around for awhile.
__________________
www.redclovercomponents.com

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
jonwvara is offline  
Old 07-25-20, 12:20 PM
  #1671  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 17,018

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4518 Post(s)
Liked 808 Times in 574 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara View Post
Well, they're not exactly mountains, but I'm on the height of land between the St. Lawrence and Connecticut Rivers. There are a lot of long steep climbs. I don't have many miles on the new wheels, in part because I'm recovering from a shovel wound on my shin several weeks ago (don't ask.) I'm also not an aggressive cornerer on steep descents. But I have a lot of confidence in the tape just from trying to shift the tires with my fingers--they seem to be really stuck on there. And as you say, the price is right.

Eugene Sloane mentions Jantex tape as an alternative to cement in my 1969 copy of The Complete Book of Bicycling. So the stuff has apparently been around for awhile.
its all a matter of perspective. If you live in the middle of Iowa those hills near you look like mountains. I managed to end up with 6 tubular wheelsets which are right around 6 more than I need. Old bikes just seem to grow tubulars.
bikemig is online now  
Old 07-30-20, 06:36 AM
  #1672  
Wileyone 
Senior Member
 
Wileyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: GWN
Posts: 2,303
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 148 Posts

Tufo Hi-Composite Carbon Tubular Road Tyre

From Wiggle...
I've run a set of these for awhile. Didn't really like them at first but once you get the pressures right they are excellent. So I just ordered a second set at $55 Cad each. But when I check the price in US funds they are $62.21 odd but still a good deal. If you don't mind black walls.

https://www.wiggle.com/tufo-hi-compo...rr=USD&dest=18

Last edited by Wileyone; 07-30-20 at 08:13 AM.
Wileyone is offline  
Old 08-02-20, 12:14 PM
  #1673  
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic
 
pastorbobnlnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ascending or Descending the NH Mountains NW of Concord!
Posts: 11,414

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & a Lonely '83 Santana Tandem (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 115 Posts
Speaking of Tufos, I got a great deal on Tufo Tubular Clincher C S33 PRO 24 tires from BikeInn back in June, and they arrived last week. Yesterday I had time to mount them on my mid-90s Mavic Cosmic Expert wheels. My thumbs still hurt from stretching them onto the rims. Took a good 15-20 minutes each, plus time to adjust the ribs on the tires into the lock edge on the clincher rim. They look great. It might be a few weeks before I have a chance to ride them. I'm in the middle of a house sale and have no time for riding.



For those who are curious, these really are tubular tires which fit on clincher rims.
__________________
Bob
Dreaming about riding in NH's summertime!

Visit my websites:
FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

Last edited by pastorbobnlnh; 08-02-20 at 12:19 PM.
pastorbobnlnh is offline  
Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 08-03-20, 06:24 AM
  #1674  
bikerosity57
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyone View Post

Tufo Hi-Composite Carbon Tubular Road Tyre

From Wiggle...
I've run a set of these for awhile. Didn't really like them at first but once you get the pressures right they are excellent. So I just ordered a second set at $55 Cad each. But when I check the price in US funds they are $62.21 odd but still a good deal. If you don't mind black walls.

https://www.wiggle.com/tufo-hi-compo...rr=USD&dest=18
so these tires have none of the advantages of ease of mounting /maintaining/repair ability of a clincher tire, nor the lightness of a tubular tire? I know for a fact they cost as much as two or three regular tires. Why would anyone want them?
bikerosity57 is offline  
Old 08-03-20, 07:16 AM
  #1675  
Wileyone 
Senior Member
 
Wileyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: GWN
Posts: 2,303
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 148 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerosity57 View Post
so these tires have none of the advantages of ease of mounting /maintaining/repair ability of a clincher tire, nor the lightness of a tubular tire? I know for a fact they cost as much as two or three regular tires. Why would anyone want them?
I think you quoted the wrong person.
Wileyone is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.