Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Super Sport S/P 1982 Questions (Long)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Schwinn Super Sport S/P 1982 Questions (Long)

Old 03-17-10, 03:24 PM
  #26  
BobHufford
Keeper of the SLDB
 
BobHufford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 1,629

Bikes: '75 Schwinn Paramount P-10, '86 Ritchey Commando, '87 Schwinn Cimarron, '91 Trek 990, '87 Schwinn High Sierra, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '4? Schwinn New World, '76 Swing Bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yeah -- that was posted in 2006. That New World catalog is on Tom Findley's site (and I've since changed my estimate of the date to 1939).

https://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1893_1940/index.html

The SLDB site is being rebuilt and will be up at SchwinnBikeForum.com

EjustE -- I know Tom has some price sheets that I don't have. I'll dig around in there some more. Thanks!

Bob
BobHufford is offline  
Old 04-07-10, 03:24 PM
  #27  
Von Stively
Senior Member
 
Von Stively's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: delmarva
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
23"

Originally Posted by Super Sport SP View Post
I have that bike in smokey pearl, 25" frame, bought it new, bought it too big, should have bought 23" frame. As much as it upsets me, I think I'm going to sell it to someone who really appreciates these quality bikes from this era. I also have the full catalog form that year and many earlier Schwinn catalogs.
I have a 23" inch in awsome condition, hardley ridden in gold. The frame is a small for me. Wish I had the bigger frame. Too bad we are not neighbors, we could swap!
Von Stively is offline  
Old 04-07-10, 03:34 PM
  #28  
BassCat357
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That was my first road bike when I was 12. I am now 37.......I loved that bike.
BassCat357 is offline  
Old 04-17-10, 02:42 PM
  #29  
Super Sport SP
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Von Stively View Post
I have a 23" inch in awsome condition, hardley ridden in gold. The frame is a small for me. Wish I had the bigger frame. Too bad we are not neighbors, we could swap!
What state are you residing in?
Super Sport SP is offline  
Old 10-04-10, 04:42 PM
  #30  
Von Stively
Senior Member
 
Von Stively's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: delmarva
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Super Sport SP View Post
What state are you residing in?
Sorry for the lag, Maryland
Von Stively is offline  
Old 06-13-19, 11:19 PM
  #31  
azsuprasm
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts


1982 21" D511. Exposed chrome on fork legs & chain stays.
'86 Suntour Cyclone group w/upgraded 6spd index Rdrlr & shifters.
600 hubs are the only Shimano on the bike. All 12 threaded holes have new hex bolts!
Touring excellence, ~21.5 lbs. FS in Scottsdale, AZ. June 2019.
azsuprasm is offline  
Old 04-22-22, 02:24 PM
  #32  
kwhiner
Member
 
kwhiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 46

Bikes: '94 Eddy Merckx Century TSX '86 Schwinn Paramount, '89 Schwinn Paramount, '83 Specialized Sequoia, '85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, '86 Schwinn Prelude, '92 Cannondale T600, '78 Guerciotti, '91 Giant ATX 770, '87 Schwinn Le Tour(beater)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
1982 Super Sport and SP

Had one of the SP's back in the day, broke the drive side drop-out bike replaced by local shop with 1984 Voyageur SP. Anyway just a question were the regular Super Sport and SP frames the same difference between the models being the components. Found a Super Sport frame and tempted to resto-mod it. Thanks!!
kwhiner is offline  
Old 04-22-22, 02:32 PM
  #33  
kwhiner
Member
 
kwhiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 46

Bikes: '94 Eddy Merckx Century TSX '86 Schwinn Paramount, '89 Schwinn Paramount, '83 Specialized Sequoia, '85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, '86 Schwinn Prelude, '92 Cannondale T600, '78 Guerciotti, '91 Giant ATX 770, '87 Schwinn Le Tour(beater)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
1982 ss sp

Originally Posted by Super Sport SP View Post
I have that bike in smokey pearl, 25" frame, bought it new, bought it too big, should have bought 23" frame. As much as it upsets me, I think I'm going to sell it to someone who really appreciates these quality bikes from this era. I also have the full catalog form that year and many earlier Schwinn catalogs.
Did the exact same thing, fortunately or not the drive side drop broke at the end of the chainstay and complete bike was replaced by local shop with 1984 Voyageur SP. Sometimes kick myself for selling that one, but I know for sure the new owner got his money's worth.
kwhiner is offline  
Old 04-26-22, 01:38 PM
  #34  
JLBiker
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: New York
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Great looking Schwinn !
JLBiker is offline  
Old 04-26-22, 07:03 PM
  #35  
MCHunt
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: NorCal
Posts: 19

Bikes: 2020 Trek Top Fuel 9.8, 2019 Argon 18 Dark Matter, 2019 Argon 18 Gallium Disc, 2000 Steve Rex custom, 1996 Guerciotti Genius

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Nice

Very nice Schwinn. My first "real" bike was a Schwinn Tempo mid 80's model
MCHunt is offline  
Old 05-24-22, 01:19 PM
  #36  
mrmw
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 603

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Super Sport S/P, 1984 Miyata 610, 1985 Panasonic LX 1000, Centurion Pro Tour 15 1983

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
mrmw should still be around. His is an old post. He since has re-engineered a great touring bike, with cantilever brakes re-done and set up superbly. I met him in Chapel Hill, NC and regret only that we didn't have hours instead of minutes to chat. I also bought a bike from him.
Here (Greenville SC), around and preparing for the eighth decade birthday ride. The '82 Super Sport ST with Command Shifters and custom spaced 7 speed Shuntour setup is my daily rider. Probably will let go of the the '83 Miyata 610 and '84 Centurion touring bikes. Might even have to release the Command Shifter inventory to golden boy time will tell. Meanwhile, still riding.

Sadly, just tapped my inventory for my next to last Forte Metro ST 700x35 tire. Anyone have any suggestions as to similarly configured tires?
mrmw is offline  
Old 05-25-22, 09:57 AM
  #37  
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude
 
The Golden Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Waukesha WI
Posts: 13,088

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2391 Post(s)
Liked 1,069 Times in 633 Posts
Originally Posted by kwhiner View Post
Had one of the SP's back in the day, broke the drive side drop-out bike replaced by local shop with 1984 Voyageur SP. Anyway just a question were the regular Super Sport and SP frames the same difference between the models being the components. Found a Super Sport frame and tempted to resto-mod it. Thanks!!
The catalog is pretty vague about it- isn't it? You'd figure you'd want to know what extra you're getting for that SP price difference. But Schwinn really wasn't all over that.

Check out the Voyageur/Voyageur SP comparison chart- you can see the differences in the bikes (from 1982 on) were not just component add ons. Again, Schwinn wasn't all that clear about that- and there's people that get really invested into what they think their bicycle is- or that their bike is "just as good as." And for whatever reason, Schwinn didn't dispel that.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
voyageur-comparison.pdf (38.6 KB, 5 views)
__________________
*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Person Of The Year" Award*

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
The Golden Boy is offline  
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 05-25-22, 10:00 AM
  #38  
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude
 
The Golden Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Waukesha WI
Posts: 13,088

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2391 Post(s)
Liked 1,069 Times in 633 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmw View Post
Here (Greenville SC), around and preparing for the eighth decade birthday ride. The '82 Super Sport ST with Command Shifters and custom spaced 7 speed Shuntour setup is my daily rider. Probably will let go of the the '83 Miyata 610 and '84 Centurion touring bikes. Might even have to release the Command Shifter inventory to golden boy time will tell. Meanwhile, still riding.

Sadly, just tapped my inventory for my next to last Forte Metro ST 700x35 tire. Anyone have any suggestions as to similarly configured tires?
I'm going to have to review my Command Shifter stash!!!

Have you done the 10 speed conversion with a set of those? It's awesome.
__________________
*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Person Of The Year" Award*

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
The Golden Boy is offline  
Old 05-25-22, 11:43 AM
  #39  
mrmw
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 603

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Super Sport S/P, 1984 Miyata 610, 1985 Panasonic LX 1000, Centurion Pro Tour 15 1983

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy View Post
Have you done the 10 speed conversion with a set of those? It's awesome.
I tried 8 speed with the ghost position, but found it dodgy and backed off to seven. The ten speed sounds awesome, count me in as an avid spectator.
mrmw is offline  
Old 05-25-22, 01:50 PM
  #40  
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude
 
The Golden Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Waukesha WI
Posts: 13,088

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2391 Post(s)
Liked 1,069 Times in 633 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmw View Post
I tried 8 speed with the ghost position, but found it dodgy and backed off to seven. The ten speed sounds awesome, count me in as an avid spectator.
I've got 2 of them running now- my Trek 720 has been running with it since fall of 2016 and just got my Trek 620 done. You're just replacing the stock 6/7/8 speed indexing ring with the 10 speed- and you're golden. So to speak.

https://suntourcommand.blogspot.com/...himano-10.html

and this one- there's a whole lot in Japanese- but you get the gist of it with the pix and a few select English phrases.

https://commandshifter.blogspot.com


It looks like I ordered some back in 2018 and he posted an update and said he still had plenty last year.
__________________
*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Person Of The Year" Award*

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.

Last edited by The Golden Boy; 05-25-22 at 01:55 PM.
The Golden Boy is offline  
Old 05-25-22, 02:09 PM
  #41  
degan
Mote of Dust
 
degan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 902
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 43 Posts
I had a SS S/P. Had a friend sandblast and paint it and it came out horribly. Didn't effect the ride, though, which was smooth and comfortable. I could ride that bike with no handlebars for miles. Sold it to another friend when I moved back west and last I heard it's safely rotting in his side yard as we speak.
degan is offline  
Old 05-26-22, 07:50 AM
  #42  
kwhiner
Member
 
kwhiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 46

Bikes: '94 Eddy Merckx Century TSX '86 Schwinn Paramount, '89 Schwinn Paramount, '83 Specialized Sequoia, '85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, '86 Schwinn Prelude, '92 Cannondale T600, '78 Guerciotti, '91 Giant ATX 770, '87 Schwinn Le Tour(beater)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy View Post
The catalog is pretty vague about it- isn't it? You'd figure you'd want to know what extra you're getting for that SP price difference. But Schwinn really wasn't all over that.

Check out the Voyageur/Voyageur SP comparison chart- you can see the differences in the bikes (from 1982 on) were not just component add ons. Again, Schwinn wasn't all that clear about that- and there's people that get really invested into what they think their bicycle is- or that their bike is "just as good as." And for whatever reason, Schwinn didn't dispel that.
In the case of the '84-85 Voyageur SP's, the SP has the Columbus tubing and nicer components. The rear Derailleur wasn't in my experience the best choice as I remember it self-destructed and I replaced it with a Huret Duopar. Still using Mountech FD's on a couple of my bikes as they one of the best from that era. If your talking of the picture page and general description your right, but if you then go to the specs page or the comparison page you linked the differences are very obvious. From what I have read the '84-'85 fits in the same class of touring bike as the Trek 720, Miyata 1000, Centurion Pro Tour, and others.
kwhiner is offline  
Old 05-26-22, 03:28 PM
  #43  
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude
 
The Golden Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Waukesha WI
Posts: 13,088

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2391 Post(s)
Liked 1,069 Times in 633 Posts
Originally Posted by kwhiner View Post
In the case of the '84-85 Voyageur SP's, the SP has the Columbus tubing and nicer components. The rear Derailleur wasn't in my experience the best choice as I remember it self-destructed and I replaced it with a Huret Duopar. Still using Mountech FD's on a couple of my bikes as they one of the best from that era. If your talking of the picture page and general description your right, but if you then go to the specs page or the comparison page you linked the differences are very obvious. From what I have read the '84-'85 fits in the same class of touring bike as the Trek 720, Miyata 1000, Centurion Pro Tour, and others.
Looking at the 82 catalog- You really have to discern in the specs what makes a Super Sport SP- same frame- but the SP has upgraded componentry.

You're absolutely right about the Mountech front derailleur- that was probably the best FD of the 80s. It's actually lighter than XC Pro and M735 XT and even lighter than Superbe Pro. Plus it takes most any triple and it's rugged without looking overly burly. The 1985 VSP came with XC components vs the LeTech and Mountech stuff on the 84. IMO- the 85 was the best specced Voyageur Schwinn built.

I happen to have an 84 Voyageur SP, an 85 Trek 720 and an 90 Miyata 1000LT. Additionally- I had an 86 Voyageur that I could compare with the VSP and ended up selling the VSP. I think both the Voyageur and the Voyageur SP are more nimble bikes than any of my other tourers, they both feel quicker in steering and the VSP feels smaller than the other bikes. I don't recall if it was a BB drop or shorter head tube. I do prefer the ride of the longer bikes- the 720 and the 620 are my favorites- those geometries work for me.
__________________
*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Person Of The Year" Award*

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
The Golden Boy is offline  
Old 05-27-22, 11:53 AM
  #44  
kwhiner
Member
 
kwhiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 46

Bikes: '94 Eddy Merckx Century TSX '86 Schwinn Paramount, '89 Schwinn Paramount, '83 Specialized Sequoia, '85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, '86 Schwinn Prelude, '92 Cannondale T600, '78 Guerciotti, '91 Giant ATX 770, '87 Schwinn Le Tour(beater)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Mid-80's Schwinn tourers

Due at least partially to the difficulty finding 23" '84-'85 VSPs I went ahead with this build of a "92 Cannondale T600 from parts off another frankenstein build I had as an experimental bike. I was also able to obtain an "85 Le Tour Luxe and of course had to do some tweaking to it as well. Sometimes more fun to do the research and find all the parts needed to create than riding.



kwhiner is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.