Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Gitane Professional Tour De France

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Gitane Professional Tour De France

Old 03-22-07, 05:59 PM
  #26  
Grand Bois
Senior Member
 
Grand Bois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pinole, CA, USA
Posts: 17,415
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by McDave
Yes it is backwards but it doesn't matter on a bike as you will never go fast enough to hydroplane. On the other hand I just mounted a set of the same tires on a bike the other day and managed to put the front one on 'backwards' too. I'll be fixing it shortly just because it doesn't look right and it's bugging me.
Continental puts an almost-invisible arrow on the sidewall on their directional tires to indicate the correct direction of rotation. I didn't learn about it until I mounted two sets backwards. I knew it didn't make any difference, but I had to turn all four tires around. I also have to have the labels centered on the valve stem and on the drive side. On one set of Continentals I had, the label was on the wrong side. That meant that one tire had to be backward. I couldn't stand it, so I sold the tires.
Grand Bois is offline  
Old 03-22-07, 06:02 PM
  #27  
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirtdrop
Continental puts an almost-invisible arrow on the sidewall on their directional tires to indicate the correct direction of rotation. I didn't learn about it until I mounted two sets backwards. I knew it didn't make any difference, but I had to turn all four tires around. I also have to have the labels centered on the valve stem and on the drive side. On one set of Continentals I had, the label was on the wrong side. That meant that one tire had to be backward. I couldn't stand it, so I sold the tires.


So I'm not the only OCD...


Or is that anal retentive, and not OCD?



Anyway, it's me....
Blue Order is offline  
Old 03-22-07, 06:14 PM
  #28  
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For anybody who's interested, there's a TDF on Ebay now, auction ends in an hour and a half. Reasonably priced at the moment, but not my size.
Blue Order is offline  
Old 03-22-07, 06:22 PM
  #29  
Otis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,756
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirtdrop
They may have shipped some with Sugino cranks, but every early '70s TdF I've ever seen has had a Stronglight 93---including mine.

Notice how the fork decal looks like the bottom is cut off? They're all like that. Old Gitanes are very quirky and that's why I like them.

Mike Swantak may be able to supply decals for it, but I better get mine first.
I found one with the exact same crankset with the red ano bolt covers. I figured it was not original, but seeing this one has changed my mind.
Otis is offline  
Old 03-22-07, 06:56 PM
  #30  
McDave
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirtdrop
I also have to have the labels centered on the valve stem and on the drive side. On one set of Continentals I had, the label was on the wrong side. That meant that one tire had to be backward. I couldn't stand it, so I sold the tires.
I center the labels with the stems too but the orange label clashes with most of my bikes so I prefer to put them on the non-drive side at least for photography purposes. Unfortunately these tires have the labels on both sides so I'm screwed no matter which way I mount them. Dang internet shopping.

OCDave

Last edited by McDave; 03-22-07 at 07:02 PM.
McDave is offline  
Old 03-22-07, 07:42 PM
  #31  
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Order
I'd be happy with the prices you guys paid too. I'd be even happier with 8bit's price.

I see them now and then on eBay for crazy money. A few weeks ago, there was a Gitane in Craigslist for $75. I emailed the guy, asked what model, he said "Tour de France." OK, that was all I needed to know, I definitely wanted that bike. Then he sent the pics-- it was a Grand Sport deLuxe. A really clapped out GSD at that. I passed.
And now the eBay crazy money: Tour de France
Blue Order is offline  
Old 03-22-07, 08:01 PM
  #32  
Rabid Koala
Chrome Freak
 
Rabid Koala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,196

Bikes: 1971 Chrome Paramount P-13, 1973 Gitane Tour de France, 1974 Raleigh Professional

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Order
For anybody who's interested, there's a TDF on Ebay now, auction ends in an hour and a half. Reasonably priced at the moment, but not my size.
Hmmmmm......Sold for $177.50
__________________
1971 Paramount P-13 Chrome
1973 Paramount P-15 Opaque Blue
1973 Gitane Tour De France
1974 Raleigh Professional
1991 Waterford Paramount
Litespeed Tuscany
Holland Titanium
Rabid Koala is offline  
Old 03-22-07, 08:02 PM
  #33  
vpiuva
*
 
vpiuva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
8bitevolution, if you look at the front of the headtube and see BCM on the lugs, it's like mine and from what I've been able to determine from GitaneUSA posts the Bocama lugs were not used until '74. But as Sandman says, everything from the frames to the numbers to the components on Gitanes was fluid at best. Welcome to the club. I think we need a BF poll to find out how many TdF owners we have here.
vpiuva is offline  
Old 03-22-07, 08:12 PM
  #34  
cmdr
Don't call me sir
 
cmdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 615

Bikes: 1954 Holdsworth 3 speed, 1969 Bob Jackson, 1988 Miyata Twelve Hundred (retired), 1989 Schwinn Paramount, 2004 Santa Cruz Blur Classic, 2012 Specialized P3, 2013 Specialized Roubaix Expert Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by McDave
I center the labels with the stems too but the orange label clashes with most of my bikes so I prefer to put them on the non-drive side at least for photography purposes. Unfortunately these tires have the labels on both sides so I'm screwed no matter which way I mount them. Dang internet shopping.

OCDave
I myself am miffed by my maxxis tires which have Detonator only on the drive side. I had to put one on backwards to balance the visual weight.
I think we're all a little anal and/or OCD.
cmdr is offline  
Old 03-22-07, 09:02 PM
  #35  
sykerocker 
Senior Member
 
sykerocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ashland, VA
Posts: 4,111

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 1973 Lambert, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame to be built.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by vpiuva
8bitevolution, if you look at the front of the headtube and see BCM on the lugs, it's like mine and from what I've been able to determine from GitaneUSA posts the Bocama lugs were not used until '74. But as Sandman says, everything from the frames to the numbers to the components on Gitanes was fluid at best. Welcome to the club. I think we need a BF poll to find out how many TdF owners we have here.
OK, if we're outing TdF's - I've got a green one, I think it's a '71, 23-1/2" frame. Got it for $75.00 minus wheels, added my Campy NR low flange/Nisi rim wheels to get it on the road, never got around to building a catalog-proper set. Love the bike, brings back memories of my '71 Gran Corsa (? - the to of the line all NR model).

Only complaint about the bike is that the frame is at the absolute maximum for me. Now, if I could find an equal condition 22-1/2" frame, I'd swap the parts over and sell the bigger one.

By the way, has anyone ever seen on in blackberry? One of the guys in the Presque Isle Bike Club had one, only one I'd ever seen. And yes, it was right off the dealer's floor. He picked his up the same day I bought mine. Glossy black with an undercurrent of red in it that showed if the light was right.
__________________
Syke

"No wonder we keep testing positive in their bicycle races. Everyone looks like they're full of testosterone when they're surrounded by Frenchmen." ---Argus Hamilton
sykerocker is offline  
Old 03-23-07, 06:38 AM
  #36  
Sierra
Uff Da!
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,037
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sykerocker
Love the bike, brings back memories of my '71 Gran Corsa (? - the to of the line all NR model).
That was the Super Corsa.
Sierra is offline  
Old 03-23-07, 03:35 PM
  #37  
vpiuva
*
 
vpiuva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sykerocker
Only complaint about the bike is that the frame is at the absolute maximum for me. Now, if I could find an equal condition 22-1/2" frame, I'd swap the parts over and sell the bigger one
mine is a 57cm (ST c-t), but not exactly original, and a little small for me. Click on the bottom right of my sig to see it. If interested PM me, maybe we can work a swap.
vpiuva is offline  
Old 03-23-07, 07:51 PM
  #38  
Grand Bois
Senior Member
 
Grand Bois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pinole, CA, USA
Posts: 17,415
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vpiuva

I like the way you did the decals. I was planning to have the decals for mine made with clear where the originals are silver. I've always thought that the foil stickers cheapened the look of the bike.
Grand Bois is offline  
Old 03-23-07, 08:29 PM
  #39  
vpiuva
*
 
vpiuva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Dirtdrop. I made those decals with MS Word and Paint, of all programs. I had some Gran Sport artwork and used that for the HT, DT, and ST foil decals, just replaced the silver with clear so the white paint would show through. I never could find good enough samples for the checkered flag 'service course' or the right fork TdF decal, though.
vpiuva is offline  
Old 05-13-09, 09:12 AM
  #40  
marktherob2001
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 22

Bikes: 1973 Gitane Tour De France

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gitane Tour de France Professional

Hi,

I'm new here. I still have my original Gitane PTDF. I bought in in 1972 for $275 Cdn. in 1972. Sugino crank set. All original except I put a 6 cog rear set on her and put straight handle bars on it. Original paint is magenta.

Markus
marktherob2001 is offline  
Old 05-13-09, 09:22 AM
  #41  
Sierra
Uff Da!
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,037
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by marktherob2001 View Post
Hi,

I'm new here. I still have my original Gitane PTDF. I bought in in 1972 for $275 Cdn. in 1972. Sugino crank set. All original except I put a 6 cog rear set on her and put straight handle bars on it. Original paint is magenta.

Markus
Bike Porn(photos) are always appreciated.
Sierra is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.