Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Vintage Touring bikes

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Vintage Touring bikes

Old 07-09-09, 08:44 PM
  #376  
Quemal
Senior Member
 
Quemal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 87

Bikes: 1982 Univega Gran Turismo 1982 Ritchey Mtn Bike 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1982 Univega Gran Turismo

I bought this new...in 1982
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Univega Gran Turismo.jpg (97.5 KB, 469 views)
Quemal is offline  
Old 07-09-09, 08:57 PM
  #377  
Marrock
Senior Member
 
Marrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Used to be there, now I'm here.
Posts: 1,921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quemal View Post
I bought this new...in 1982
And what, just kept it in your living room?

That is nice and I love the racks.
Marrock is offline  
Old 07-10-09, 09:00 PM
  #378  
Grim
Senior Member
 
Grim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,993

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Quemal View Post
I bought this new...in 1982
Thats an interesting front rack. Any idea of the manufacture?
Grim is offline  
Old 07-14-09, 04:17 PM
  #379  
sfclearwater
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1982 Velo Sport Alpin

Just finished this for my girlfriend. Started with the frame and added a mix of 80's and 90's components, I think it worked out pretty well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGP0488 (Small).JPG (77.8 KB, 597 views)
File Type: jpg
IMGP0489 (Small).JPG (84.6 KB, 378 views)
File Type: jpg
IMGP0490 (Small).JPG (80.8 KB, 366 views)
File Type: jpg
IMGP0491 (Small).JPG (73.4 KB, 361 views)
File Type: jpg
IMGP0492 (Small).JPG (51.4 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg
IMGP0493 (Small).JPG (61.2 KB, 352 views)
File Type: jpg
IMGP0495 (Small).JPG (64.8 KB, 330 views)
sfclearwater is offline  
Old 07-14-09, 04:36 PM
  #380  
green lizard
Junior Member
 
green lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: california
Posts: 5

Bikes: atami road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
atami

it is almost done
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
paint.jpg (21.7 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg
paint5.jpg (27.9 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg
paint1.jpg (20.1 KB, 193 views)
green lizard is offline  
Old 07-14-09, 05:11 PM
  #381  
Grim
Senior Member
 
Grim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,993

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sfclearwater View Post
Just finished this for my girlfriend. Started with the frame and added a mix of 80's and 90's components, I think it worked out pretty well.
Very nice!!

Sugino cranks? whats the tooth count on those?
What brand fenders?

Are they plastic or painted metal?

I like the way they did the mounts. They look excellent.
Grim is offline  
Old 07-15-09, 01:49 PM
  #382  
sfclearwater
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
Sugino cranks? whats the tooth count on those?
What brand fenders?

Are they plastic or painted metal?

I like the way they did the mounts. They look excellent.
The crank and the fenders are both from Velo Orange. The cranks are 48/36/26 and the fenders are anodized aluminum that matches the old anodized Araya rims almost perfectly. I had to do a little cutting, grinding, and bending to fit the fenders but no big deal.

Crank

Fenders
sfclearwater is offline  
Old 07-15-09, 04:21 PM
  #383  
Grim
Senior Member
 
Grim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,993

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sfclearwater View Post
The crank and the fenders are both from Velo Orange. The cranks are 48/36/26 and the fenders are anodized aluminum that matches the old anodized Araya rims almost perfectly. I had to do a little cutting, grinding, and bending to fit the fenders but no big deal.

Crank

Fenders
Can't believe I missed those. I go in there and drool on the rack page all the time. Thanks for pointing them out.

That crank tooth count by far is my favorite for general road riding. Man I can put the hammer on a hill on the 36 tooth ring. It works perfect for me. I have a set of Octalink Shimano's on the 98 T700 that I think are ugly but love the gearing (48/36/26). Wouldn't mind putting those Sugino cranks on it to dress it up and then put the Octs on my 95 T700 that has a 22/32/44 set I don't care for the gearing on.
Grim is offline  
Old 07-18-09, 07:49 PM
  #384  
badger_biker 
Senior Member
 
badger_biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Rural Western Wisconsin
Posts: 1,327

Bikes: 9 vintage touring machines and a 1975 Motobecane Le Champion

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my 1984 Specialized Expedition loaded down. I have a Blackburn Expedition rear rack and Jandd Exreme front rack. I added a Topeak slide to the Novara trunk rack and a matching tray to the top of the Jandd so it is quick to take off.
I bought the frame and built it up with Suntour XCD 6000 derailleurs and 7 speed Accushift barcons and most of the rest is Deore LX. It has Shimano 600 hubs and Sun 16 rims.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SM_Expedition.jpg (100.5 KB, 363 views)
__________________
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride - JFK
badger_biker is offline  
Old 07-23-09, 05:25 PM
  #385  
green lizard
Junior Member
 
green lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: california
Posts: 5

Bikes: atami road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the Atami

well, it is finished.
tell me what ya think
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
done3.jpg (25.5 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg
done2.jpg (33.3 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg
done.jpg (25.8 KB, 194 views)
green lizard is offline  
Old 07-23-09, 05:49 PM
  #386  
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby
 
Poguemahone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Je suis ici
Posts: 5,328

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1984 Trek 720.



Found at a local thrift store (Fan thrift, Richmond Va) three-four years ago. It looked rough, bought it largely so it wouldn't get converted into a fixed gear, with all the braze ons hacked off. I don't have anything against conversions, but no one should convert a bike like this. It's made to be a loaded tourer. It spent the next couple of years sitting in my basement, and then last winter I finally decided I'd take a real serious look at it, see if it could be fixed up (as opposed to fixied up). It cleaned up real nice. In fact, I had to haul a load today and rode it; since the above pic I've added a Tubus rack to it.
Bike was 75$ at the thrift; I spent more on the Tubus rack.
__________________
"It's always darkest right before it goes completely black"

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Poguemahone is offline  
Old 07-23-09, 05:54 PM
  #387  
Chris W. 
Senior Member
 
Chris W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nampa Idaho
Posts: 1,084

Bikes: 76' Centrurion Pro-Tour, 86' Specialized Rock Hopper, 88' Centurion Iron Man, 89' Bruce Gordon "Hikari", 95' Rock Hopper Ultra.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sfclearwater View Post
Just finished this for my girlfriend. Started with the frame and added a mix of 80's and 90's components, I think it worked out pretty well.
Very nice

Cheers,
Chris
Chris W. is offline  
Old 07-23-09, 07:56 PM
  #388  
flian
Pilot Deeper
 
flian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Suthrun Elanoy
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by green lizard View Post
well, it is finished.
tell me what ya think
I think ya need bigger pictures!
flian is offline  
Old 07-25-09, 10:10 PM
  #389  
RFC
Senior Member
 
RFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 4,466

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by awc380 View Post
Nice.
But this was the one I was searching for - found it.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ht=french+650b
I am digging this stem. What is it?
RFC is offline  
Old 07-25-09, 11:45 PM
  #390  
vjung001
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if this is a touring bike or not, but I'm only assuming because of the rack.

Today I finally decided to take a look at my dad's old bike. It's been hanging from the ceiling in our garage for about 17 years or so. It's probably been used only a few times during that time. I plan on riding it to school in September.

At the top of my list is to get rid of all that green, orange, and reflective tape. I wonder if it was used as a theft deterrent?

So, anyone have any idea what this is? Here's hoping to a long lost hidden gem in my garage! Haha. Thanks




vjung001 is offline  
Old 07-26-09, 12:07 AM
  #391  
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vjung001 View Post
I don't know if this is a touring bike or not, but I'm only assuming because of the rack.

Today I finally decided to take a look at my dad's old bike. It's been hanging from the ceiling in our garage for about 17 years or so. It's probably been used only a few times during that time. I plan on riding it to school in September.

At the top of my list is to get rid of all that green, orange, and reflective tape. I wonder if it was used as a theft deterrent?

So, anyone have any idea what this is? Here's hoping to a long lost hidden gem in my garage! Haha. Thanks




Low-end sport tourer (a road bike, but not a racing bike, not a loaded tourer. Suitable for light touring and commuting).

But in great cosmetic condition, and not particularly desirable to college campus bike thieves, so a good choice for the job.
Blue Order is offline  
Old 07-26-09, 12:28 AM
  #392  
24tracktape
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Manchester Center, Vt
Posts: 119

Bikes: 1995 Guerciotti Genius, 1992 Cannondale Delta V 1000, 1989 Cannondale SR500, 1987 Univega Nuovo Sport, 1984 Trek 620, 1983 Muddy Fox Monarch, 1960 Rudge Sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1984 Trek 620 purchased a couple of months ago, it came with a second wheelset that had Phil hubs w/mystery 40 spoke (front and rear) ceramic rims.

I added:
TTT bar and stem
NOS Grand Compe aero levers
Suntour Barcons
Kool Stop pads
Pasela TG tires
Trashbar bags
B17 Champion
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TrekBags-1.jpg (100.6 KB, 346 views)
24tracktape is offline  
Old 07-26-09, 12:48 AM
  #393  
vjung001
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Order View Post
Low-end sport tourer (a road bike, but not a racing bike, not a loaded tourer. Suitable for light touring and commuting).

But in great cosmetic condition, and not particularly desirable to college campus bike thieves, so a good choice for the job.
A sport tourer, huh. And low-end too? Damn, and I thought I was gonna be all cool cause I saw some Shimano shifters. Now I'm hoping those aren't bootleg haha

So, what exactly is the difference? Besides the foam grips and extension levers. This will be the last of my questions I promise.
vjung001 is offline  
Old 07-26-09, 01:53 AM
  #394  
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vjung001 View Post
A sport tourer, huh. And low-end too? Damn, and I thought I was gonna be all cool cause I saw some Shimano shifters. Now I'm hoping those aren't bootleg haha

So, what exactly is the difference? Besides the foam grips and extension levers. This will be the last of my questions I promise.
The stamped dropouts are a giveaway. Plus the extension levers and lack of tubing decal. And possibly the cottered crank (although it does appear that it may be alloy).

On the other hand, it's not that bad. It does appear to have alloy wheels, for example. And a sport tourer is a good all-around machine. And because it's not high-end, it's going to be easier to hang onto at school, assuming you use a good quality u-lock and proper locking technique.
Blue Order is offline  
Old 07-26-09, 01:56 AM
  #395  
stronglight
Old Skeptic
 
stronglight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 1,044

Bikes: 19 road bikes & 1 Track bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 24tracktape View Post
1984 Trek 620 purchased a couple of months ago, it came with a second wheelset that had Phil hubs w/mystery 40 spoke (front and rear) ceramic rims.

I added:
TTT bar and stem
NOS Grand Compe aero levers
Suntour Barcons
Kool Stop pads
Pasela TG tires
Trashbar bags
B17 Champion
Now THAT is what I call one fine looking TOURING bike! Very nice build up! Everything you could want for a long cross-country tour.

Great choice of brake levers too. Funny how everyone seems to love traditional brake cable routing on older touring bikes. I admit that I too like the old "look"... but aero levers are really just soooo much better. And they are definitely very practical when using a handlebar or rack top front bag.

Here are scans I made of a truly classic 1948 Rene Herse bike: http://www.flickr.com/photos/strongl...7618749510933/ The illustrator, Daniel Rebour, makes specific note of the "extra long" brake cables which were fitted on this bike - to allow easy access to the bag opening. I suspect Herse would have loved to use aero brake levers on such a bike, if they had been around in the 1940s. They would have fitted in perfectly with his extensive use of internally routed cables which eliminated so much "clutter" on his bikes.
stronglight is offline  
Old 07-26-09, 02:38 AM
  #396  
stronglight
Old Skeptic
 
stronglight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 1,044

Bikes: 19 road bikes & 1 Track bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Order View Post
"...And because it's not high-end, it's going to be easier to hang onto at school, assuming you use a good quality u-lock and proper locking technique."
Proper Locking Technique

stronglight is offline  
Old 07-26-09, 02:45 AM
  #397  
24tracktape
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Manchester Center, Vt
Posts: 119

Bikes: 1995 Guerciotti Genius, 1992 Cannondale Delta V 1000, 1989 Cannondale SR500, 1987 Univega Nuovo Sport, 1984 Trek 620, 1983 Muddy Fox Monarch, 1960 Rudge Sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the compliment!

Thanks as well for your work on those Herse scans. I saved those images to my computer in order to make some prints of those.

Great stuff, even 60 years later!

Best-
Rich

Originally Posted by stronglight View Post
Now THAT is what I call one fine looking TOURING bike! Very nice build up! Everything you could want for a long cross-country tour.

Great choice of brake levers too. Funny how everyone seems to love traditional brake cable routing on older touring bikes. I admit that I too like the old "look"... but aero levers are really just soooo much better. And they are definitely very practical when using a handlebar or rack top front bag.

Here are scans I made of a truly classic 1948 Rene Herse bike: http://www.flickr.com/photos/strongl...7618749510933/ The illustrator, Daniel Rebour, makes specific note of the "extra long" brake cables which were fitted on this bike - to allow easy access to the bag opening. I suspect Herse would have loved to use aero brake levers on such a bike, if they had been around in the 1940s. They would have fitted in perfectly with his extensive use of internally routed cables which eliminated so much "clutter" on his bikes.
24tracktape is offline  
Old 07-26-09, 06:19 AM
  #398  
joninkrakow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 222

Bikes: '86 Koga Miyata Randonneur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stronglight View Post
The illustrator, Daniel Rebour, makes specific note of the "extra long" brake cables which were fitted on this bike - to allow easy access to the bag opening.
Man, I never thought about that before.... but back in the 80 and early 90s, I had a Raleigh Rampar 14 touring bike that had extra long brake cables also. I never really gave it much of a thought, until you just mentioned it now. Weird. I guess this sort of became the norm for touring bikes?

-)on
joninkrakow is offline  
Old 07-27-09, 02:34 PM
  #399  
cycleheimer
Senior Member
 
cycleheimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York Metro Area
Posts: 3,980

Bikes: '14 Insight 2, '95 Trek 720 Multi-Track, '94 Cannondale M600; '92 Raleigh Dash Max; '86 Panasonic DX 5000, '81 Fuji S12S, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '78 Motobecane Grand Touring, plus many more!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This bike may be 29 years old, but it rides as though it were brand-new. The Cat's Eye bar-end reflector is a great help on the road, and the Cannondale handlebar bag allows me easy access to my cell phone and water bottle. I have two sets of rear panniers to go over the Pleitscher carrier, and store a spare tube & tire levers & mini pump in the saddle bag. The leather covered "Look" saddle is pretty comfortable and the SKS fenders not only look good, but also keep the tires from splattering wet mud all over the place after it rains. Still haven't tried the head lamp, though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photoze 145.jpg (99.2 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg
photoze 146.jpg (100.1 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg
photoze 149.jpg (103.6 KB, 261 views)
cycleheimer is offline  
Old 07-27-09, 03:25 PM
  #400  
nlerner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,058
Mentioned: 237 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1076 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
More sport-touring than true touring, here's my 1983 Trek 640, now shod with steel fenders, aero brake levers, bar-end shifters.

Neal





nlerner is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.