Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Old 11-22-18, 05:28 PM
  #7051  
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!
 
RobbieTunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Very Southern Indiana
Posts: 25,783
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 59 Posts
I've never cold set a frame. Dozens of 126 frames to 130 wheelsets, and only a couple of skinned knuckles, knock on wood. Once you've done a rear wheels swap a few times, it's pretty straightforward. Lift and separate. I think I saw that on TV when I was younger.
__________________
Robbie ♪♫♪...☻
I have unfinished business.

RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 11-22-18, 09:51 PM
  #7052  
vintagerando 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,950
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by HmongAmish View Post

Bike was listed with this photo. Bike had been sitting for 20+ years
Tell us the story behind this acquisition. Was it a CL find?
__________________
1967 Frejus
1968 Peugeot PX-10
1983 Peter Mooney
1995 Waterford 1200
1996 Waterford 1200
2003 Dahon Speed P8
2013 Rawland Stag
2016 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0
vintagerando is offline  
Old 11-22-18, 10:06 PM
  #7053  
HmongAmish
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vintagerando View Post
Tell us the story behind this acquisition. Was it a CL find?
I had gotten bit by the vintage bug over the summer and have been searching FB market constantly and clicked on anything with a quill stem. Saw this picture and had no clue what a Pogliaghi was. After some quick googling, I contacted the seller and scheduled a time to go see the bike. I knew it didnít have tires, so I brought along a set of wheels with 8 speed cassette on it and some tools to test ride it. Owner had some issues with the front brifter working consistently so he put the downtube shifter on. Unfortunately he has misplaced the original brake levers and right downtube shifter (25 years of moving around).

He was asking 375.00, I got him down to 350.00. Guy said I was the only person who asked about the bike.

It was a joy to research and source some decent parts for the bike. It was my first campy build and it is a joy to ride.
HmongAmish is offline  
Old 11-22-18, 10:26 PM
  #7054  
vintagerando 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,950
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by HmongAmish View Post


I had gotten bit by the vintage bug over the summer and have been searching FB market constantly and clicked on anything with a quill stem. Saw this picture and had no clue what a Pogliaghi was. After some quick googling, I contacted the seller and scheduled a time to go see the bike. I knew it didnít have tires, so I brought along a set of wheels with 8 speed cassette on it and some tools to test ride it. Owner had some issues with the front brifter working consistently so he put the downtube shifter on. Unfortunately he has misplaced the original brake levers and right downtube shifter (25 years of moving around).

He was asking 375.00, I got him down to 350.00. Guy said I was the only person who asked about the bike.

It was a joy to research and source some decent parts for the bike. It was my first campy build and it is a joy to ride.
Well, its a beauty. Send me some of your good fortune.....I'd love to find Pogliaghi!
__________________
1967 Frejus
1968 Peugeot PX-10
1983 Peter Mooney
1995 Waterford 1200
1996 Waterford 1200
2003 Dahon Speed P8
2013 Rawland Stag
2016 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0
vintagerando is offline  
Old 11-22-18, 11:35 PM
  #7055  
HmongAmish
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vintagerando View Post
Well, its a beauty. Send me some of your good fortune.....I'd love to find Pogliaghi!
heres one I found on FB.

looks like a 90s model though

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1797308831628/
HmongAmish is offline  
Old 11-30-18, 01:29 AM
  #7056  
jaseyjase
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1999 Klein Quantum / SRAM Red / Fulcrum Racing 1s






jaseyjase is offline  
Old 11-30-18, 06:13 AM
  #7057  
Chrome Molly 
Senior Member
 
Chrome Molly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Forksbent, MN
Posts: 3,277

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Solid.
Chrome Molly is offline  
Old 11-30-18, 06:56 AM
  #7058  
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!
 
RobbieTunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Very Southern Indiana
Posts: 25,783
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrome Molly View Post
Solid.
Absolutely solid.
__________________
Robbie ♪♫♪...☻
I have unfinished business.

RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 11-30-18, 06:59 AM
  #7059  
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!
 
RobbieTunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Very Southern Indiana
Posts: 25,783
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 59 Posts
Ace climbers. Tall Ace Climbers.

Very TACtical, MERZiac.

Originally Posted by merziac View Post
May have put these here already but not sure so what the heck. Both came to me already "upgraded", it's all good, would have bought them either way. Pretty sure they were done by the same guru who actually worked for Merz at some point.


__________________
Robbie ♪♫♪...☻
I have unfinished business.

RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 11-30-18, 07:01 AM
  #7060  
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!
 
RobbieTunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Very Southern Indiana
Posts: 25,783
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 59 Posts
Oh, Canada.
Originally Posted by John HP View Post


I was inspired by canyoneagle's Zullo and put some 11 speed bits on the Marinoni to tide me over until I get a new frame.
__________________
Robbie ♪♫♪...☻
I have unfinished business.

RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 11-30-18, 12:37 PM
  #7061  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,041

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton, Bornstein, Paisley, Paramounts, 3rensho, Moto TC, Raleigh Pro's, Marinoni, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC and more

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by John HP View Post


I was inspired by canyoneagle's Zullo and put some 11 speed bits on the Marinoni to tide me over until I get a new frame.
Very nice, I would be inspired to get a new Marinoni and keep this one just like it is.
merziac is offline  
Old 11-30-18, 12:42 PM
  #7062  
Sir_Name 
Senior Member
 
Sir_Name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,014

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jaseyjase View Post
1999 Klein Quantum / SRAM Red / Fulcrum Racing 1s
Yes, please.
Sir_Name is offline  
Old 11-30-18, 12:51 PM
  #7063  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,041

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton, Bornstein, Paisley, Paramounts, 3rensho, Moto TC, Raleigh Pro's, Marinoni, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC and more

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
Ace climbers. Tall Ace Climbers.

Very TACtical, MERZiac.
Tx, the silver one actually got even more granny for Crater lake, I got nothing for any hills so I need a lot of help, one bum knee and no love for hills at all.


merziac is offline  
Old 11-30-18, 08:12 PM
  #7064  
HarborBandS
HarborBandS
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Chicago Western Suburbs
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jaseyjase View Post
1999 Klein Quantum / SRAM Red / Fulcrum Racing 1s






Bad@ss!!! I want it.

I think my next bike will be a black bike with gumwalls.
HarborBandS is offline  
Old 12-02-18, 08:19 PM
  #7065  
RiddleOfSteel
Lugged, Dura-Ace Glory
 
RiddleOfSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,518

Bikes: '87 Schwinn Prologue - '74 Schwinn Paramount P15 - '8X Davidson Impulse - '88 Land Shark Road Shark - '92 Specialized Epic Carbon - '15 Cannondale CAAD10 Disc - '81 Trek 710 - '92? Bushnell Track Bike

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
The all-black with Gumwall/tan wall/whatever look is a very very good look, IMO. I suppose, haha, we can call a 19 year old 1999-era bike vintage or perhaps vintage enough (the frame angles are certainly traditional, and it still rocks a quill stem), but dang, that thing is HOT. Devastatingly good looking bike!
RiddleOfSteel is offline  
Old 12-03-18, 04:48 AM
  #7066  
jaseyjase
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chrome molly View Post
solid.
Originally Posted by robbietunes View Post
absolutely solid.
Originally Posted by sir_name View Post
yes, please.
Originally Posted by harborbands View Post
bad@ss!!! I want it.
Originally Posted by riddleofsteel View Post
dang, that thing is hot. devastatingly good looking bike!
Cheers fellas!

I agree the frame technically shouldnt make the cut as it didnt come with DT shifters, but hopefully the quill stem sort of gives it a pass


​​​​​​
jaseyjase is offline  
Old 12-12-18, 08:53 PM
  #7067  
rockdoc 
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
cold setting vs dropout setting

I am running a 126 Raleigh GS Comp with Dura Ace 9 speed. Great bike, my favorite ever, I'll get some pics up. Fine, no sweat, but the dropouts are at a slight angle due to spreading. I'm thinking of not cold setting the frame, but bending and aligning the dropouts to be parallel.

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
I've never cold set a frame. Dozens of 126 frames to 130 wheelsets, and only a couple of skinned knuckles, knock on wood. Once you've done a rear wheels swap a few times, it's pretty straightforward. Lift and separate. I think I saw that on TV when I was younger.
rockdoc is offline  
Old 12-13-18, 07:50 AM
  #7068  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 361

Bikes: 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 716, 1986 Schwinn Passage Single Speed, 2010 Banshee Paradox, Velo Orange Polyvalent MKIII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ski4bob View Post
Love the Tenax frames. Here's my Premis which also has nothing on it that is original. They are great frames.
Every time I see a Premis in this colorway I kind of kick myself for not buying the one that was for sale here earlier this summer.

Absolutely stunning!
abshipp is offline  
Old 12-13-18, 01:43 PM
  #7069  
HarborBandS
HarborBandS
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Chicago Western Suburbs
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rockdoc View Post
I am running a 126 Raleigh GS Comp with Dura Ace 9 speed. Great bike, my favorite ever, I'll get some pics up. Fine, no sweat, but the dropouts are at a slight angle due to spreading. I'm thinking of not cold setting the frame, but bending and aligning the dropouts to be parallel.
Good luck. One piece of advice---once you apply the pressure hard enough to bend the steel, it's easy to go too far. That's why I liked "RJ the Bike Guy's" threaded rod method of cold setting on his YouTube channel. It's much gentler than Sheldon Brown's 2x4 lumber lever method.

I find a frame alignment gauge to be a necessity for this stuff (probably $50 new?). And drop out alignment tools (which are outrageously expensive). I built my dropout alignment tools out of threaded rods, nuts, washers, and wingnuts, and they do the job (also an "RJ the Bike Guy" video shows how to make these).
HarborBandS is offline  
Old 12-13-18, 02:27 PM
  #7070  
rockdoc 
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HarborBandS View Post
Good luck. One piece of advice---once you apply the pressure hard enough to bend the steel, it's easy to go too far. That's why I liked "RJ the Bike Guy's" threaded rod method of cold setting on his YouTube channel. It's much gentler than Sheldon Brown's 2x4 lumber lever method.

I find a frame alignment gauge to be a necessity for this stuff (probably $50 new?). And drop out alignment tools (which are outrageously expensive). I built my dropout alignment tools out of threaded rods, nuts, washers, and wingnuts, and they do the job (also an "RJ the Bike Guy" video shows how to make these).
I have used pro dropout alignment tools when I was at a shop way back in a past life, and I've also used the threaded rod approach. I'm definitely leery of cold setting the rear triangle though.
rockdoc is offline  
Old 12-17-18, 10:58 PM
  #7071  
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!
 
RobbieTunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Very Southern Indiana
Posts: 25,783
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 59 Posts
Started life 2x6 Campagnolo.
__________________
Robbie ♪♫♪...☻
I have unfinished business.

RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 12-18-18, 12:01 PM
  #7072  
robertorolfo
Senior Member
 
robertorolfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Queens, NY for now...
Posts: 1,029

Bikes: 82/82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 89 Basso PR

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel View Post
The all-black with Gumwall/tan wall/whatever look is a very very good look, IMO. I suppose, haha, we can call a 19 year old 1999-era bike vintage or perhaps vintage enough (the frame angles are certainly traditional, and it still rocks a quill stem), but dang, that thing is HOT. Devastatingly good looking bike!
Gumwalls look good on just about anything. And I agree that 19 years old is pushing the limit in here...
robertorolfo is offline  
Old 12-18-18, 12:21 PM
  #7073  
Chrome Molly 
Senior Member
 
Chrome Molly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Forksbent, MN
Posts: 3,277

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
Started life 2x6 Campagnolo.
Nicely done. Clean looking. Perforated matchy matchy is always to my likey
Chrome Molly is offline  
Old 01-10-19, 04:47 AM
  #7074  
blackcannon
Senior Member
 
blackcannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fairhaven, MA
Posts: 163

Bikes: Motobecane Jubilee Sport, Viner, Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boonie View Post
With dura ace 7400 sti group





WOW...Lots of beautiful bike builds on here! I have always wanted to do this "old steel bike, modern component" thing for over 10 years and will be doing my first finally. I have to say, this one from 2017 is one of my favs for use of components. Everything just looks so well together...including the vintage crank, derailleurs, the tires, and especially, those brifters! Could have fooled anyone on this one as it looks like it came like this stock!
blackcannon is offline  
Old 01-10-19, 09:28 AM
  #7075  
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!
 
RobbieTunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Very Southern Indiana
Posts: 25,783
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by blackcannon View Post
WOW...Lots of beautiful bike builds on here! I have always wanted to do this "old steel bike, modern component" thing for over 10 years and will be doing my first finally. I have to say, this one from 2017 is one of my favs for use of components. Everything just looks so well together...including the vintage crank, derailleurs, the tires, and especially, those brifters! Could have fooled anyone on this one as it looks like it came like this stock!
Can't wait to see it. With prices across the pond a bit low, good time to pick up components and build one.
__________________
Robbie ♪♫♪...☻
I have unfinished business.

RobbieTunes is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.