Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Old 12-22-23, 01:05 AM
  #8276  
Senior Member
 
Piff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,448
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 405 Posts
Just curious, has anyone done a retro-roadie using microshift sword?
Piff is offline  
Old 12-23-23, 05:07 AM
  #8277  
Steel is real
 
georges1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Not far from Paris
Posts: 1,912

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
It's been a while, but I don't think I ever posted this build in here. It's a Daccordi Opera, circa 1993 (Genius tubing), with a 10sp Chorus group. The paint is lovely in person:


Lovely bike Genius was one of thebest tubing of its time
georges1 is offline  
Likes For georges1:
Old 12-23-23, 02:41 PM
  #8278  
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 16,581

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10937 Post(s)
Liked 7,449 Times in 4,169 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
Just curious, has anyone done a retro-roadie using microshift sword?
As of about 1 month ago, it wasn't even being sold. It was barely even being spec'd on oem builds.
It's started to be sold though. Universal Cylcss has a Sword cassette and crank, but not derailleurs or shifters.

I hope that group is a success. The 2x10 at a good price will be really cool.
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-23-23, 05:29 PM
  #8279  
Ride more, eat less
 
cat0020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philla PA, Hoboken NJ, Brooklyn NY
Posts: 2,070

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
I looked up MicroShift Sword group on AliExpress, $240 for shifter, rear derailleur & 10 Apr cassette.
I think I will give it a try for my next build.
cat0020 is offline  
Likes For cat0020:
Old 12-23-23, 06:26 PM
  #8280  
Senior Member
 
Manny66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Whittier
Posts: 871

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 326 Posts
Old Giordana Frame ,new parts and upgrade to gravel .

Manny66 is offline  
Old 12-23-23, 06:39 PM
  #8281  
Senior Member
 
Piff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,448
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 405 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
As of about 1 month ago, it wasn't even being sold. It was barely even being spec'd on oem builds.
It's started to be sold though. Universal Cylcss has a Sword cassette and crank, but not derailleurs or shifters.

I hope that group is a success. The 2x10 at a good price will be really cool.
I do wonder if microshift will be the mechanical groupset of the future as everyone else abandons it. Sword seems to be a big commitment (as least for the moment) to this niche.

Originally Posted by cat0020
I looked up MicroShift Sword group on AliExpress, $240 for shifter, rear derailleur & 10 Apr cassette.
I think I will give it a try for my next build.
Very reasonable indeed! I haven't read up on much, but does anyone know how well their cable pull ratio pairs with Shimano cassettes? Or did they develop their own proprietary standards.
Piff is offline  
Old 12-24-23, 02:37 PM
  #8282  
Ride more, eat less
 
cat0020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philla PA, Hoboken NJ, Brooklyn NY
Posts: 2,070

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
Very reasonable indeed! I haven't read up on much, but does anyone know how well their cable pull ratio pairs with Shimano cassettes? Or did they develop their own proprietary standards.
Not sure, 10 spd spacing is pretty much universal.
It may be that cable pull ratio on the derailleur is different from Shimano, Campy or SRAM.
cat0020 is offline  
Old 12-25-23, 05:42 AM
  #8283  
Port
 
Rocket-Sauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 6,630

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
Not sure, 10 spd spacing is pretty much universal.
It may be that cable pull ratio on the derailleur is different from Shimano, Campy or SRAM.
not quite. Shimano and SRAM have the same cassette spacing (3.95mm) but Campagnolo is different enough (4.12mm) that rear shifting doesn’t work quite right if using a Shimano/ SRAM cassette on Campy derailleurs, or Campagnolo cassette on Shimano/Sram derailleurs…

11 and 12 speed are close enough that they are cross compatible
Rocket-Sauce is offline  
Old 12-25-23, 08:01 AM
  #8284  
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 16,581

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10937 Post(s)
Liked 7,449 Times in 4,169 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
I do wonder if microshift will be the mechanical groupset of the future as everyone else abandons it. Sword seems to be a big commitment (as least for the moment) to this niche.



Very reasonable indeed! I haven't read up on much, but does anyone know how well their cable pull ratio pairs with Shimano cassettes? Or did they develop their own proprietary standards.
Sword uses a Microshift pull. It is compatible with Microshift Advent X drivetrain components as that is the same 10sp pull.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 01-02-24, 12:11 PM
  #8285  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 60

Bikes: 1991 Schwinn 354, 1988 Schwinn Circuit, 1988 Schwinn Premis, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport, 1983 Schwinn Super Sport Custom, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1974 Schwinn Sports Tourer and 2017 Niner RIP RDO

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 9 Posts
Handlebars

Originally Posted by Road Fan
Thanks! can you share a link?
Here you go: https://www.ebay.com/itm/40330580449...BlBMUOSx7rWZYw
ski4bob is offline  
Old 01-02-24, 11:10 PM
  #8286  
Making up the numbers
 
seagrade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 157 Posts
__________________
Nothing quite says wall hanger like drillium toe straps
seagrade is offline  
Old 01-03-24, 12:48 AM
  #8287  
Steel is real
 
georges1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Not far from Paris
Posts: 1,912

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by seagrade
Very nice Serotta
georges1 is offline  
Old 01-03-24, 01:05 AM
  #8288  
Full Member
 
BMC_Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 357 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Manny66
Old Giordana Frame ,new parts and upgrade to gravel .

How much wheel clearance is on those brakes? Doesn't look like you have any room to spare.
BMC_Kid is offline  
Old 01-04-24, 02:57 AM
  #8289  
Master Parts Rearranger
 
RiddleOfSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Portlandia's Kuiper Belt, OR
Posts: 4,401

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1555 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 987 Posts
I changed out my 9-speed down tube shifters for a Shimergo setup and now my '84 Trek 620 gets to be in this club! The impetus for this was keeping (yet upgrading) a recently-acquired '83 Trek 560 in it's original layout. So it got the taller gearing for increased downhill capability and enjoyment and I got to put on 9/10-speed Campy Ergo shifters on a bike again.

I'd scored a pair of really nice 9-speed (old pull ratio) Daytona Ergos a long while back, and a 10-speed Chorus long cage rear derailleur for a song more recently. Old-pull 9 shifting plus new-pull 10-speed derailleur actuation calcs out to 8-speed Shimano cassette spacing. And since a Campy triple front derailleur can't hack my very-inset Shimano triple, the Suntour Blueline remains. Front and rear shifting is that lovely Campy style and is only sullied slightly by that other occasional endearing Campagnolo feature: broken or worn internal parts that need replacing. The vertical post of the G-spring carrier is broken, so while it allows full shifting with great feel, I can use either lever to essentially (and accidentally) "trim" the rear derailleur while in gear. Not good for reliable shifting!

Between the more convenient shifting, more supportive and comfortable brake levers, and greater brake leverage, the 620 is a delight--a surprise improvement over an already good/great bike.

RiddleOfSteel is offline  
Old 01-08-24, 02:55 AM
  #8290  
Newbie
 
roshgosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
I changed out my 9-speed down tube shifters for a Shimergo setup and now my '84 Trek 620 gets to be in this club! The impetus for this was keeping (yet upgrading) a recently-acquired '83 Trek 560 in it's original layout. So it got the taller gearing for increased downhill capability and enjoyment and I got to put on 9/10-speed Campy Ergo shifters on a bike again.

I'd scored a pair of really nice 9-speed (old pull ratio) Daytona Ergos a long while back, and a 10-speed Chorus long cage rear derailleur for a song more recently. Old-pull 9 shifting plus new-pull 10-speed derailleur actuation calcs out to 8-speed Shimano cassette spacing. And since a Campy triple front derailleur can't hack my very-inset Shimano triple, the Suntour Blueline remains. Front and rear shifting is that lovely Campy style and is only sullied slightly by that other occasional endearing Campagnolo feature: broken or worn internal parts that need replacing. The vertical post of the G-spring carrier is broken, so while it allows full shifting with great feel, I can use either lever to essentially (and accidentally) "trim" the rear derailleur while in gear. Not good for reliable shifting!

Between the more convenient shifting, more supportive and comfortable brake levers, and greater brake leverage, the 620 is a delight--a surprise improvement over an already good/great bike.

Clean rebuild. I like your solutions regarding the different components. How many teeth on that smallest plateau?
roshgosh is offline  
Likes For roshgosh:
Old 01-08-24, 03:05 AM
  #8291  
Newbie
 
roshgosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by curiousabe
OK fine, not a retro frame, as a matter of fact, a completely new frame that one might think is a retro frame (even the panto is new) but at least it has some retro parts


That is a heck of a beautiful bike. The beautiful chromovelato finish reminds me of the early Wiliers. The whitewall Continentals are the icing on the cake. 👏👏👏
roshgosh is offline  
Likes For roshgosh:
Old 01-08-24, 01:02 PM
  #8292  
Master Parts Rearranger
 
RiddleOfSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Portlandia's Kuiper Belt, OR
Posts: 4,401

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1555 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 987 Posts
Originally Posted by roshgosh
Clean rebuild. I like your solutions regarding the different components. How many teeth on that smallest plateau?
Thanks! 28t for the small ring, and I just bumped to a 53t large ring for more downhill fun (11-28t cassette out back).
RiddleOfSteel is offline  
Old 01-08-24, 07:37 PM
  #8293  
Senior Member
 
Caliwild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,253
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 279 Posts
Posted elsewhere, but figured this is a good spot for it too...

Caliwild is offline  
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 03-20-24, 05:40 AM
  #8294  
Newbie
 
sergsinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Posts: 17

Bikes: Jamis Dakota D29 Pro and Xenith Pro, Scott Sub Speed 30, Strida SX, Giant Cadex 980C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 2 Posts
New season, new look))
Campagnolo Chorus 9S -> Shimano Ultegra 11S.
sergsinger is offline  
Old 03-20-24, 03:45 PM
  #8295  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by sergsinger
New season, new look))
Campagnolo Chorus 9S -> Shimano Ultegra 11S.
Man, I wish my Trek 2300 looked as cool as that!

John

PS I'm sure someone with your fine taste and high style doesn't want that old, rubbish Chorus group cluttering up your home so just PM for my address and I will help you declutter (I will even spring for shipping 'cause that's just the kind of guy I am).
jolly_codger is offline  
Old 03-21-24, 02:31 AM
  #8296  
Newbie
 
sergsinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Posts: 17

Bikes: Jamis Dakota D29 Pro and Xenith Pro, Scott Sub Speed 30, Strida SX, Giant Cadex 980C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jolly_codger
Man, I wish my Trek 2300 looked as cool as that!

John

PS I'm sure someone with your fine taste and high style doesn't want that old, rubbish Chorus group cluttering up your home so just PM for my address and I will help you declutter (I will even spring for shipping 'cause that's just the kind of guy I am).
No way man. Right now I don't think about selling my old lovely Campa (except Dura-Ace 7810 pedals). Too many hours have been spent to make it shine again and work properly.

sergsinger is offline  
Old 03-21-24, 02:50 AM
  #8297  
Full Member
 
BMC_Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 357 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by sergsinger
New season, new look))
Campagnolo Chorus 9S -> Shimano Ultegra 11S.
Very nice, ride in good health! I prefer the shape of modern Campy levers and style of components over Shimano but like your example, I have been modernizing most of the bikes in my rotation to modern 11/12-speed.

I am currently working on the restoration and rebuild of a late 80s/early 90s Picchio with 11-speed SR/Athena. I am leaning towards a classic wheelset but that carbon wheelset looks very nice. May I ask what they are?
BMC_Kid is offline  
Old 03-21-24, 03:45 AM
  #8298  
Newbie
 
sergsinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Posts: 17

Bikes: Jamis Dakota D29 Pro and Xenith Pro, Scott Sub Speed 30, Strida SX, Giant Cadex 980C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
Very nice, ride in good health! I prefer the shape of modern Campy levers and style of components over Shimano but like your example, I have been modernizing most of the bikes in my rotation to modern 11/12-speed.

I am currently working on the restoration and rebuild of a late 80s/early 90s Picchio with 11-speed SR/Athena. I am leaning towards a classic wheelset but that carbon wheelset looks very nice. May I ask what they are?
I like old Campa, but this season I want to try modern groupset with frame that is more than 30 years old. Want to compare my feelings.
Wheels are from AliExpress: Powerway R36 hubs, 38 mm rims are tubeless ready without holes for nipples.
https://aliexpress.ru/item/100500325...394.1711013915

I had a wheelset with Campa hubs, but as they weren't serviced regularly by the previous owners, they had play that I don't like, so I found Easton EA70. You can find my photo on these wheels in this thread 😉

Last edited by sergsinger; 03-21-24 at 12:05 PM.
sergsinger is offline  
Old 03-21-24, 05:24 AM
  #8299  
Shifting is fun!
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 10,991

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,561 Times in 1,757 Posts
Found a gap in my collection that needed to be filled.

__________________
Are we having fun, or what ...



non-fixie is offline  
Old 03-21-24, 09:50 AM
  #8300  
tkm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 516
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by sergsinger
New season, new look))
Campagnolo Chorus 9S -> Shimano Ultegra 11S.
I'd be too scared to actually ride that bike not knowing whether the bonding compound or old carbon would fail first.
tkm is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.