Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nishiki Serial Number Database

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Nishiki Serial Number Database

Old 07-01-22, 02:47 AM
  #2551  
madpogue 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Madison, WI USA
Posts: 5,905
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked 1,086 Times in 800 Posts
Just picked up a 1986 or 1987 Cresta GT, touring road bike with Tange 2, early Suntour Accushift, and 27" wheels.
Serial number indicates it's 1986:



But it's a dead ringer for what's in the 1987 catalog:


Sorry, no drive-side pics of my own; this one is from the CL ad




I found a page featuring what is claimed to be an '86 Cresta GT, and the branding is different. Most notably, the model name is in all caps block lettering, slightly italic. This one, as seen above, is sort of script-y. Date codes on the derailleur point to 1986; date codes on the crank arms point to 1987.
madpogue is offline  
Likes For madpogue:
Old 07-01-22, 04:52 AM
  #2552  
T-Mar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 22,892
Mentioned: 609 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4539 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2,683 Times in 1,694 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Just picked up a 1986 or 1987 Cresta GT, touring road bike with Tange 2, early Suntour Accushift, and 27" wheels.

Serial number indicates it's 1986:


But it's a dead ringer for what's in the 1987 catalog....


I found a page featuring what is claimed to be an '86 Cresta GT, and the branding is different. Most notably, the model name is in all caps block lettering, slightly italic. This one, as seen above, is sort of script-y. Date codes on the derailleur point to 1986; date codes on the crank arms point to 1987.

The subject bicycle is a 1987 Cresta with a frame that was manufactrured sometime in late 1986. It was very common in the bicycle industry to start building the new models in very late summer, typically around September. This allowed manufacturers to build up inventory, compensate for time delays involved in trans-oceanic shipping and distribution channels, yet still have the early shipments of the new models in stores for the lucrative Christmas season. Also, manufacturers had to have the earliest samples of the new models available for the autumn trade shows, where early bookings were placed. Finally, it allowed the marketing department to exploit any success at the World Championships, which typically took place around the end of August or beginning of September, though this applied only to manufacturers sponsoring pro teams.

As you note, the graphics are 1987 model year. The key feature is the downtube logo with the series designation superimposed onto it, which was introduced for the 1987 model year. Also, from a component perspective, the bicycle is equipped with SunTour's Accushift indexed shifting, which was also introduced for the 1987 model year.

Last edited by T-Mar; 07-01-22 at 04:56 AM.
T-Mar is offline  
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 07-01-22, 09:20 AM
  #2553  
madpogue 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Madison, WI USA
Posts: 5,905
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked 1,086 Times in 800 Posts
Thanks T-Mar , that confirms my speculation. I usually come to that same conclusion with bikes that have a week/fortnight/month designator in the serial number, and that designator indicates September or later. I just couldn't get a sense of time of year in this case; with the last digits value being only 04951, that seems like a fairly low number within an annual run.
madpogue is offline  
Old 07-03-22, 05:46 AM
  #2554  
LETKO
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
serial number Nishiki Timbuk

Hello i got Nishiki Timbuk witch was buy for 20 dollars in Saint-Petersburg
Can you give me some information about it?
serial number is XN507775

Thanks!
LETKO is offline  
Old 07-04-22, 12:53 AM
  #2555  
discordman
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
Thank-you for the photos. Based on the frame characteristics it is a 1992 model. The components appear to be Shimano 300LX, which are consistent with the era, so they are likely original to the bicycle. There were no 300LX equipped Nishiki models in 1992, at least not in the USA. However, I notice that you are located in the Philippines. Model specs and names often vary between markets, which complicates identification.

From a component perspective, the closest USA models are the Colorado, which used 500LX components that were 2 groups higher than 300LX, and the Backroads, which used the 200GS components that were one group below 300LX. The frame style itself resembles the Manitoba model, which was one step below the Backroads.

The only USA market Nishiki with a suspension fork in 1992 was the top of the line Alien SP. It was rare to have suspension forks at this level in 1992, so I strongly suspect that they were added by the previous owner.

Regrettably, the only thing that I can tell you for sure, is that it is a 1992 model. Based on the frame and components, I'd classify it as upper entry level. With the OEM rigid fork, it would have had a retail price of around $375-$400 USA, had it been available in the USA market. Selective photo assist...
Thank you so much for the information!
discordman is offline  
Old 07-04-22, 11:34 AM
  #2556  
T-Mar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 22,892
Mentioned: 609 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4539 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2,683 Times in 1,694 Posts
Originally Posted by LETKO View Post
Hello i got Nishiki Timbuk witch was buy for 20 dollars in Saint-Petersburg
Can you give me some information about it?
serial number is XN507775

Thanks!
I don't believe that I've seen this serial number format on a Nishiki. I've also never seen a Russian market Nishiki. The drivetrain looks like it has been entrirely rebuilt. Even the front and rear brakes don't match. Based on the frame characteristics, I'd say circa 1994-1998 but each market designed their own bicycles, so this could vary a bit.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 07-04-22, 05:46 PM
  #2557  
Trycyclist
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1970s Nishiki vintage road bike

S011A013 or possibly S01/1A013. Its not cleanly punched.

The emblem on the front is a raised metal looking emblem with an eagle head over the letter M and a red and yellow flag.

The tires could be original. Two tone tan rubber sidewalls (dryrotted) and black hybrid tread.

Everything works and it still rides smooth. I had no idea what I was picking up. I just needed a free bike.
Trycyclist is offline  
Old 07-05-22, 03:45 AM
  #2558  
LETKO
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeahh think that its came from Finland, all componemts was Shimano Altus, but i rebuilt it a little bit.
May be it can be some experiments ?
LETKO is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 07:57 AM
  #2559  
discordman
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
Thank-you for the photos. Based on the frame characteristics it is a 1992 model. The components appear to be Shimano 300LX, which are consistent with the era, so they are likely original to the bicycle. There were no 300LX equipped Nishiki models in 1992, at least not in the USA. However, I notice that you are located in the Philippines. Model specs and names often vary between markets, which complicates identification.

From a component perspective, the closest USA models are the Colorado, which used 500LX components that were 2 groups higher than 300LX, and the Backroads, which used the 200GS components that were one group below 300LX. The frame style itself resembles the Manitoba model, which was one step below the Backroads.

The only USA market Nishiki with a suspension fork in 1992 was the top of the line Alien SP. It was rare to have suspension forks at this level in 1992, so I strongly suspect that they were added by the previous owner.

Regrettably, the only thing that I can tell you for sure, is that it is a 1992 model. Based on the frame and components, I'd classify it as upper entry level. With the OEM rigid fork, it would have had a retail price of around $375-$400 USA, had it been available in the USA market. Selective photo assist...
If I'm going to look for a fork like what it originally came with, what should I watch out for? Aside from the cantilever posts.

Would you have a photo that I can compare with?

Thank you!
discordman is offline  
Old 07-15-22, 08:35 PM
  #2560  
arcocelli
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Picked this up 4th of July weekend. 1984 Cresta, seems to be all original and not many miles put on it. 95 bucks on FB market place.

arcocelli is offline  
Likes For arcocelli:
Old 07-18-22, 05:29 PM
  #2561  
rickpaulos
Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: middle of the Great Corn Desert
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 44 Posts
One of the volunteers brought this to the local bike coop. Garage sale score. Now asking $150.

1985 Nishiki Colorado by Giant. VG condition. Big frame.









rickpaulos is offline  
Likes For rickpaulos:
Old 07-20-22, 12:19 PM
  #2562  
jeffjfan
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What Nishiki model could it be with serial number CJ 0xxxx? (10-speed 49cm fame)?

Thanks
jeffjfan is offline  
Old 07-20-22, 12:25 PM
  #2563  
jeffjfan
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By the serial number CJ 0xxxx, based on the information I just learnt from this thread, if I understood correctly all I know is that the bike was made by Kawamura in 1980 for the Canada market.
Can any experts here tell what model it could be, in what range it falls into between low entry to may be medium level. For sure it can't high end by the asking price of $150.
Thanks
jeffjfan is offline  
Old 07-20-22, 01:14 PM
  #2564  
T-Mar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 22,892
Mentioned: 609 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4539 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2,683 Times in 1,694 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffjfan View Post
By the serial number CJ 0xxxx, based on the information I just learnt from this thread, if I understood correctly all I know is that the bike was made by Kawamura in 1980 for the Canada market.
Can any experts here tell what model it could be, in what range it falls into between low entry to may be medium level. For sure it can't high end by the asking price of $150.
Thanks
Welcome to the forums. While it was manufactured by Kawamura in Japan during 1980 that is about all we can say. The serial number does not contain any information pertaining to the model. Canadian models were spec'd independently from the USA and other markets, so even once we identify a model, it could be signifcantly different from the same model in other markets.

By this time, most of the entry level models for the USA were being sourced from Giant or other Tainwanese companies but this is not necessarily true for Canada. Also, while the price would seem to rule out a high end model, I have seen cases whereby the seller was unaware of the true market value and offered a bargain. If you want an identification, you'll have to post photos and/or supply the brand and models of the major components. Ignore the forum warning about requiring 10 posts. Photos will upload to gallery album under your forum name, where myself and other members can view them.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 07-21-22, 07:42 PM
  #2565  
oldbikejeff
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
old nishiki

I bought a frame and fork. Butted, stamped Nishiki, no front badge, repainted many times. Serial night be K then D00731. From other posts, sold in the USA, D is 4, and there were 731 frames made to that point. 1964? 74? I built it into a single speed commuter which I like so I suppose it does not matter so much. I paid $30 for it which I thought was too much but it is a cool frame. Any thoughts on the year?
oldbikejeff is offline  
Old 07-22-22, 05:12 AM
  #2566  
T-Mar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 22,892
Mentioned: 609 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4539 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2,683 Times in 1,694 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbikejeff View Post
I bought a frame and fork. Butted, stamped Nishiki, no front badge, repainted many times. Serial night be K then D00731. From other posts, sold in the USA, D is 4, and there were 731 frames made to that point. 1964? 74? I built it into a single speed commuter which I like so I suppose it does not matter so much. I paid $30 for it which I thought was too much but it is a cool frame. Any thoughts on the year?
Welcome to the forums. It is a 1984 model. Nishiki didn't exist in 1964 and that format wasn't in use in 1974 or 1994.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 07-24-22, 10:40 AM
  #2567  
oldbikejeff
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
frame rarity?

Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
Welcome to the forums. It is a 1984 model. Nishiki didn't exist in 1964 and that format wasn't in use in 1974 or 1994.
Is there a way to know how many were made in a year and how many survive? I think the loss rate per year would be interesting. Given the low ratio of old bikes to new that I see in bike racks, people must get rid of them for reasons I do not understand. I recycle them when the frames are bent too much (usually from being hit by a car). I suppose I would scrap one where I strip the threads on the bottom bracket or something but that has not happened. The nishiki frame looked like it had been in a fire (perhaps why it had no components) but other than needing some paint, it was fine. Why ditch a great frame for a crappy megamart bike?
oldbikejeff is offline  
Old 07-24-22, 10:48 AM
  #2568  
T-Mar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 22,892
Mentioned: 609 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4539 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2,683 Times in 1,694 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbikejeff View Post
Is there a way to know how many were made in a year and how many survive? ...
No.
T-Mar is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
2112Artimus
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
2
01-15-20 01:25 PM
alexander55
Classic & Vintage
7
09-09-19 11:40 AM
Hummer
Classic & Vintage
2
10-10-17 09:48 PM
Sepmdo
Classic & Vintage
4
08-03-14 06:23 PM
smontanaro
Classic & Vintage
6
04-28-12 12:15 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.