Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nishiki Serial Number Database

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Nishiki Serial Number Database

Old 11-04-12, 03:02 AM
  #901  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi first post here, I'm not sure what kind of bike I have other then that it is a Nishiki. I'll attach a picture of the badge, and the bike. On top bar side it says Custom 12. It has Nitto Olympiade 114 bars. I'll add more pictures.
Serial Number: s9h7651


The Badge

The Bike
More Pics:



The serial number has me pretty confused.

Last edited by OrionC; 11-04-12 at 03:12 AM.
OrionC is offline  
Old 11-04-12, 05:49 AM
  #902  
Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Western NC
Posts: 23,547

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 614 Posts
Just look up the date codes on the components. It appears to be in the 1979 to 1982 window, +/-. Does it have a Giant serial number on the left drop out? Looks just like the Giant built Nishiki I have in the project queue.

Realize Nishiki never made a single bike. All production was outsourced, to multiple manufacturers.
__________________
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
wrk101 is offline  
Old 11-04-12, 06:57 AM
  #903  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,233
Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3,030 Times in 1,870 Posts
Originally Posted by OrionC
Hi first post here, I'm not sure what kind of bike I have other then that it is a Nishiki. I'll attach a picture of the badge, and the bike. On top bar side it says Custom 12. It has Nitto Olympiade 114 bars. I'll add more pictures.
Serial Number: s9h7651

The serial number has me pretty confused.
Welcome to the forums. What you have is a 1979 Nishiki Custom 12. It was an entry level model, 2nd from the bottom of the line. As previously stated, all Nishiki manufacturing was contracted. While there a couple of major contractors who made probably 90% + of bicycles, a handful of smaller contractors have popped up. You have a bicycle made by one of these.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 11-04-12, 03:35 PM
  #904  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, I obtained this Prestige #WE20389 a little while ago. It's not very original as you can probably see.

I'm a little confused on the serial number. Is it the model year or just when the frame happened to be built? Because from what I've been told and read, the '85 didn't come with 700c wheels. But the 700s that came with the bike fit perfectly with the original brakes. Would this actually be an 86?


Last edited by tayguer; 11-04-12 at 03:54 PM.
tayguer is offline  
Old 11-05-12, 10:02 AM
  #905  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Picked up two near twins today: an American Eagle Semi Pro, and a Nishiki Competition. My guess is the Competition is a 1974 (KS 284672), while the Semi Pro is either 1972 or 1973 (KS 161175). Very similar builds: DB cromoly frames, Suntour barcons, center pull brakes, etc. The Semi Pro has some really neat (to me) high flange Sunshine hubs, even though the front rim appears to be a replacement (steel).

Sugino cranksets date codes are February 1972 and May 1974. Suntour RD date code are March 1972 and April 1975.
Your American Eagle Semi-Pro looks just like my Nishiki Semi-Pro, except mine is yellow and the brake levers were at a more traditional placement, stock. The date codes on my crankset and derailleur are just a month or two later than yours, and my frame serial number is KS161437, so these were made very close to each other. It's interesting to note that the change-over from the American Eagle to Nishiki brands happened someplace in between these two frames. I bought mine, new, from a bike store on Central Park West in Manhattan sometime in the summer of 1973.

Although I'm the original owner and the bike has always been stored in a garage, and never ridden in the rain to the best of my memory, it has much more rust than many similar aged Nishikis posted here. The chrome is rusting through almost everywhere and there's rust to some degree at just about all the welds. Must be Northeast humidity, or trace salt picked up even from dry roads.

I still ride it as a fixed gear now, the bar-end shifters lost their friction and were not reparable and the rear derailleur developed a real problem getting the chain onto the middle cog. BTW, you can make this a "12 speed" easily. Suntour made a 6 cog New Winner freewheel that can replace the original 5 cog Pro-Comp. You'll also need a narrower chain, one that's now designated an "8 speed". My original Pro-Comp freewheel was 14-18-21-27-34. The 6 cog New Winner I picked up is 13-15-18-21-26-30.

The wheels are very nice, aren't they? Mine still shine right up with just a bit of chrome polish. Incredibly, I've never had them trued and they're still just about perfect.
milmo is offline  
Old 11-05-12, 11:07 AM
  #906  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,233
Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3,030 Times in 1,870 Posts
Originally Posted by tayguer
Hello, I obtained this Prestige #WE20389 a little while ago. It's not very original as you can probably see.

I'm a little confused on the serial number. Is it the model year or just when the frame happened to be built? Because from what I've been told and read, the '85 didn't come with 700c wheels. But the 700s that came with the bike fit perfectly with the original brakes. Would this actually be an 86?
This is a 1986 model manufactured in late 1985. The 1985 used 27" wheels, shifters mounted on top of the down tube, a different style logo and did not have the contrasting color on the seat tube.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 11-18-12, 02:13 PM
  #907  
Senior Member
 
Vonruden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ocean County, NJ
Posts: 3,041

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 112 Posts
I just posted this one up in another thread, figured it needed to be included here. Pardon the crappy pics, took them in the sun. Nishiki Prestige performance Equipe, I believe 1989?? Serial number is GA902523 (Giant made?). 56 cm, 4130 triple butted, Suntour Edge group. Needs a new chain and saddle. Not my size, but couldn't resist a nice Nishiki.





Vonruden is offline  
Old 11-18-12, 04:15 PM
  #908  
Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Western NC
Posts: 23,547

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 614 Posts
Originally Posted by milmo
Your American Eagle Semi-Pro looks just like my Nishiki Semi-Pro, except mine is yellow and the brake levers were at a more traditional placement, stock. The date codes on my crankset and derailleur are just a month or two later than yours, and my frame serial number is KS161437, so these were made very close to each other. It's interesting to note that the change-over from the American Eagle to Nishiki brands happened someplace in between these two frames. I bought mine, new, from a bike store on Central Park West in Manhattan sometime in the summer of 1973.
Yes, my Semi-Pro has a split personality. It has a Nishiki Headbadge, but everything else says American Eagle. Seems like a transition bike, using up remaining stock of framesets, and so on.
__________________
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
wrk101 is offline  
Old 11-18-12, 06:26 PM
  #909  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,233
Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3,030 Times in 1,870 Posts
Originally Posted by Vonruden
I just posted this one up in another thread, figured it needed to be included here. Pardon the crappy pics, took them in the sun. Nishiki Prestige performance Equipe, I believe 1989?? Serial number is GA902523 (Giant made?). 56 cm, 4130 triple butted, Suntour Edge group. Needs a new chain and saddle. Not my size, but couldn't resist a nice Nishiki.
It's definitely a 1989 model but I can't say with 100% certainty that it was made by Giant. It looks like there may be a bulge in the front rim.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 11-18-12, 06:57 PM
  #910  
Senior Member
 
Vonruden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ocean County, NJ
Posts: 3,041

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
It's definitely a 1989 model but I can't say with 100% certainty that it was made by Giant. It looks like there may be a bulge in the front rim.
Thanks T-mar. The front rim had been removed and tires where shot. I mounted a spair used pair I had laying around, but noticed the dent on the rim. Wish the bike were my size.
Vonruden is offline  
Old 11-27-12, 03:41 PM
  #911  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nishiki age

I have a Nishiki International Serial # KS290652. I am unable to determine by your chart as to the year of my bike. See attached photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0004-2.jpg (56.0 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0005-2.jpg (72.3 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_00012-2.jpg (92.7 KB, 156 views)
cmacrina is offline  
Old 11-27-12, 04:57 PM
  #912  
Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Western NC
Posts: 23,547

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 614 Posts
Originally Posted by cmacrina
I have a Nishiki International Serial # KS290652. I am unable to determine by your chart as to the year of my bike. See attached photos.
From first posting on this thread:

"Serial number format XYZZZZZ where:

X is a letter indicating the market using the following codes:
C = Canada (pre-1985)
K = USA (pre 1985)
W = USA (1985-1987*)

Y is a letter indicating the last digit of the manufacturing calendar year, where A =1, B = 2, C = 3… J = 0. Exception is letter S, used on all frames prior to 1975."

Its 1974+/-. KS = before 1975, American Eagle was 1972 and into 1973. Components will all have date codes.

290,000 number high enough to likely be 1974.

The International was a very popular model back then, I have had at least six 1974 Internationals in the last couple of years.

Last edited by wrk101; 11-27-12 at 05:11 PM.
wrk101 is offline  
Old 12-01-12, 11:18 PM
  #913  
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race
 
dddd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 9,129

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 832 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101Picked up two near twins today: an American Eagle Semi Pro, and a Nishiki Competition. My guess is the Competition is a 1974 (KS 284672), while the Semi Pro is either 1972 or 1973 (KS 161175). Very similar builds: DB cromoly frames, Suntour barcons, center pull brakes, etc. The Semi Pro has some really neat (to me) high flange Sunshine hubs, even though the front rim appears to be a replacement (steel).
Sugino cranksets date codes are February 1972 and May 1974. Suntour RD date code are March 1972 and April 1975."


That's a good 2-bike score, and the serial number of the '72 is revealing.

That American Eagle serial number 161175 is 100 numbers NEWER than my AmericanEagle/Nishiki Kokusai (ser# 161,071), putting it right at the transition period where different models coming off the line were being batch-painted with different branding between perhaps just a couple of batches.

Hey, and go easy on the paint there, the serial numbers are too easy to read already.
dddd is offline  
Old 12-03-12, 07:58 AM
  #914  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you very much. You all have been most helpful. Happy holidays.
cmacrina is offline  
Old 12-03-12, 11:32 AM
  #915  
Senior Member
 
IthaDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 4,915

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Just picked up this 1985 tri-a. Based on this catalog scan, it's looking that other than the usual tires and pedals, only the right shifter seems to have been swapped out. Well, maybe- did these come with aero levers? Serial Number WE 18210





















... And an Album link with even more pictures.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it, so if any of you have any ideas, feel free to PM me. It seems to be in amazing shape despite being dusty (I have done NOTHING to clean it up).
__________________

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
IthaDan is offline  
Likes For IthaDan:
Old 12-03-12, 04:04 PM
  #916  
Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Western NC
Posts: 23,547

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 614 Posts
[/QUOTE]
Hey, and go easy on the paint there, the serial numbers are too easy to read already.[/QUOTE]

Former owner made a mess of the serial number area, no idea what the DA was thinking.
wrk101 is offline  
Old 12-04-12, 08:49 AM
  #917  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,233
Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3,030 Times in 1,870 Posts
Originally Posted by IthaDan
Just picked up this 1985 tri-a. Based on this catalog scan, it's looking that other than the usual tires and pedals, only the right shifter seems to have been swapped out. Well, maybe- did these come with aero levers? Serial Number WE 18210...
Actually, that's a 1986 model, so it was probably made in late 1985. Note the difference in the logo and head decal style. Also, the 1985 used the frictrion version of New 600EX, with the new SIS version being spec'd for 1986. The subject scan is from a 1985 advertisement, not the catalog.

Offhand, I'm not sure if the 1986 had aero levers or not. However, the headset is definitely a replacement.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 12-04-12, 09:02 AM
  #918  
Senior Member
 
IthaDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 4,915

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Yeah, I was wondering about the headset. That's a little curious, because the fork and front wheel show no signs of trauma and the bike overall shows little signs of use.

Good call on the 86. I still can't help but wonder about the right shifter.
__________________

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
IthaDan is offline  
Old 12-04-12, 10:04 AM
  #919  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,233
Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3,030 Times in 1,870 Posts
Originally Posted by IthaDan
Yeah, I was wondering about the headset. That's a little curious, because the fork and front wheel show no signs of trauma and the bike overall shows little signs of use.

Good call on the 86. I still can't help but wonder about the right shifter.
Ha! I never noticed the shifter. I suspect the orignal owner sheared off the tabs on the original lever, probably around 1988 or 1989. That problem was not unknown with earlier SIS.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 12-04-12, 10:23 AM
  #920  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 4,571

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

Got this old Nishiki Westwood back on the road for a friend of mine. Unfortunately, forks are tweeked so it pulls a bit. Suntour shifters (which were trashed so had to be replaced), FD and RD. Not sure the vintage but the serial number is KG36808.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1977 Nishiki MTB.jpg (99.0 KB, 313 views)
CACycling is offline  
Likes For CACycling:
Old 12-04-12, 10:38 AM
  #921  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,233
Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3,030 Times in 1,870 Posts
Originally Posted by CACycling

Got this old Nishiki Westwood back on the road for a friend of mine. Unfortunately, forks are tweeked so it pulls a bit. Suntour shifters (which were trashed so had to be replaced), FD and RD. Not sure the vintage but the serial number is KG36808.
This is the first Westwood that has surfaced. The serial number is from 1987 but those aren't 1987 decals and it's not in the 1987 catalog, so I assume it must be a 1988 model but the geometry and non-Unicrown fork makes it look older.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 12-04-12, 07:21 PM
  #922  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 4,571

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
This is the first Westwood that has surfaced. The serial number is from 1987 but those aren't 1987 decals and it's not in the 1987 catalog, so I assume it must be a 1988 model but the geometry and non-Unicrown fork makes it look older.
It seemed older to me. I've worked on a lot of mid to late '80s MTBs (picked up an '86ish Univega Range Rover ES just last night) and this Nishiki just seems older with the cast fork crown.
CACycling is offline  
Old 12-05-12, 10:27 AM
  #923  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,233
Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3,030 Times in 1,870 Posts
Originally Posted by CACycling
It seemed older to me. I've worked on a lot of mid to late '80s MTBs (picked up an '86ish Univega Range Rover ES just last night) and this Nishiki just seems older with the cast fork crown.
Well, all the 1987 ATB have Unicrown forks, so I don't see why they would revert in 1988. I would also expect a 1988 to have AccuShift, but that looks like a SunTour Tech series rear derailleur, which would indicate circa 1983/1984. Are you sure the serial number isn't a KC as opposed to KG? If the C was a bit damaged, it could be interpreted as a G.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 12-05-12, 11:43 AM
  #924  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 4,571

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Well, all the 1987 ATB have Unicrown forks, so I don't see why they would revert in 1988. I would also expect a 1988 to have AccuShift, but that looks like a SunTour Tech series rear derailleur, which would indicate circa 1983/1984. Are you sure the serial number isn't a KC as opposed to KG? If the C was a bit damaged, it could be interpreted as a G.
Definately not Accushift (was working on a Trek 360 with Accushift at the same time I was putting this one together and this stuff was definately older) but the RD markings were pretty much gone so not sure exactly what model. Very possible I misread the C as a G and that would put the bike closer to the age I would expect. So, according to your info, this would most likely be USA made and sold as an '83 or '84 model? I appreciate your input.
CACycling is offline  
Old 12-05-12, 12:30 PM
  #925  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,233
Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3,030 Times in 1,870 Posts
Originally Posted by CACycling
Definately not Accushift (was working on a Trek 360 with Accushift at the same time I was putting this one together and this stuff was definately older) but the RD markings were pretty much gone so not sure exactly what model. Very possible I misread the C as a G and that would put the bike closer to the age I would expect. So, according to your info, this would most likely be USA made and sold as an '83 or '84 model? I appreciate your input.
Well, it looks that era and the only other letter that could be mistaken for a C would be a G (either by you misreading it or by a Kawamura employee accidentally grabbing the wrong stamp). A C would make it 1983 manufacture, though it could also be a 1984 model.

While the derailleur model may have scuffed off, there should be a model number and a two letter date on the back. In fact, that's another thing you can do to verify the vintage, Check the date codes on the components. Most will have them and there's an excellent guide on the components page on the Vintage-Trek website. If this frame was really was built in 1983, I'd expect to see 1982 and/or 1983 component date codes.
T-Mar is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.