Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nishiki Serial Number Database

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Nishiki Serial Number Database

Old 08-19-16, 09:02 AM
  #1601  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,233
Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3,032 Times in 1,872 Posts
Sorry, I haven't seen that particular serial number format. It could be reverse engineered several ways. Based on all the Asian characters, it's almost certainly a non-American model, so I'd be hard pressed to identify it. Pictures of the major components may help to narrow down the year. Also, the major components may have date codes which you may be able to decypher using the information on the components page of the Vintage-Trek website.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 08-19-16, 09:31 AM
  #1602  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Sorry, I haven't seen that particular serial number format. It could be reverse engineered several ways. Based on all the Asian characters, it's almost certainly a non-American model, so I'd be hard pressed to identify it. Pictures of the major components may help to narrow down the year. Also, the major components may have date codes which you may be able to decypher using the information on the components page of the Vintage-Trek website.
Thank you very much. Unfortunatley i have only the frame and fork, the other components were changed by the uncle of the old owner.. i'm from brazil and i have no ideia how this bike arrived here.
fabricioplato is offline  
Old 08-19-16, 09:47 AM
  #1603  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,233
Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3,032 Times in 1,872 Posts
[QUOTE=fabricioplato;18996212]Thank you very much. Unfortunatley i have only the frame and fork, the other components were changed by the uncle of the old owner.. i'm from brazil and i have no ideia how this bike arrived here.[/QUOTE**

There's one other thing that you can do. Tange typically date codes the steerer column on their forks. The format is year-month, so if you found 3A, it would be 1993 January. The date code would typically be within a year of the model year of the bicycle. Of course, you'll have to remove the fork to get this information. it will at least give you the timeframe, but I don't have any information on Brazilian market models, which could be significantly different than America.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 08-19-16, 05:10 PM
  #1604  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=T-Mar;18996263]
Originally Posted by fabricioplato
Thank you very much. Unfortunatley i have only the frame and fork, the other components were changed by the uncle of the old owner.. i'm from brazil and i have no ideia how this bike arrived here.[/QUOTE**

There's one other thing that you can do. Tange typically date codes the steerer column on their forks. The format is year-month, so if you found 3A, it would be 1993 January. The date code would typically be within a year of the model year of the bicycle. Of course, you'll have to remove the fork to get this information. it will at least give you the timeframe, but I don't have any information on Brazilian market models, which could be significantly different than America.
It's awesome how much you know about this!

I removed the fork, and i think it is "93 E"



fabricioplato is offline  
Old 08-20-16, 07:25 AM
  #1605  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,233
Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3,032 Times in 1,872 Posts
[QUOTE=fabricioplato;18997279]
Originally Posted by T-Mar

It's awesome how much you know about this!

I removed the fork, and i think it is "93 E"
I didn't realize that Tange had changed their format to yy.m,but that is what it appears to be. Your frame could be either a 1993 or 1994 and there's a possibility that the C10 in the S/N indicates 1993 October. Of course, this assumes the fork is OEM. There's always a possibility of it being a replacement, given that it's chrome but the date code fits with the original estimate and some Nishiki road bicycles were spec'd with chrome forks in the early 1990s, so I'm assuming it is OEM.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 08-20-16, 08:56 AM
  #1606  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=T-Mar;18998085]
Originally Posted by fabricioplato

I didn't realize that Tange had changed their format to yy.m,but that is what it appears to be. Your frame could be either a 1993 or 1994 and there's a possibility that the C10 in the S/N indicates 1993 October. Of course, this assumes the fork is OEM. There's always a possibility of it being a replacement, given that it's chrome but the date code fits with the original estimate and some Nishiki road bicycles were spec'd with chrome forks in the early 1990s, so I'm assuming it is OEM.
I forgot the seat post that came with the bike. It is hard that i don't find anything about this frame model "sigma design". However, ir is an excelent bike!





fabricioplato is offline  
Old 08-21-16, 05:41 PM
  #1607  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New old Nishiki Custom Sport

I just purchased a beautiful Nishiki Custom Sport. The serial number in the bottom of the crank is S1 2B343. I think that its a 1972 model. It has centerpull brakes with Shimano 600 Arabesque derailleurs front and rear. Stem mounted shifters. Its a ten speed with 27 wheels. I believe the color is crimson red. Its heavy but rides beautifully. The foam grips are worn and torn and the front derailleur isn't shifting but I'll fix that. Doesn't have the original seat or tires, but it does have what I believe is the original rear rack, or at least a rear rack from that time period.

I read that the serial number beginning with S1 designates that it was made before 1975. And that the 2 is the year, B is maybe for February, and its the 343rd bicycle made that year.

I have pictures on my phone, I'll try to post at a later date.
Cyclegraph is offline  
Old 08-21-16, 06:58 PM
  #1608  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,233
Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3,032 Times in 1,872 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclegraph
I just purchased a beautiful Nishiki Custom Sport. The serial number in the bottom of the crank is S1 2B343. I think that its a 1972 model. It has centerpull brakes with Shimano 600 Arabesque derailleurs front and rear. Stem mounted shifters. Its a ten speed with 27 wheels. I believe the color is crimson red. Its heavy but rides beautifully. The foam grips are worn and torn and the front derailleur isn't shifting but I'll fix that. Doesn't have the original seat or tires, but it does have what I believe is the original rear rack, or at least a rear rack from that time period.

I read that the serial number beginning with S1 designates that it was made before 1975. And that the 2 is the year, B is maybe for February, and its the 343rd bicycle made that year.

I have pictures on my phone, I'll try to post at a later date.
Welcome to the forums. I've never heard that interpretation for the "S1" designation. Most of the models we've seen with this format date from the very early 1980s. Certainly, Shimano 600 Arabesque wasn't available in 1972 but it was featured on very early 1980s Custom Sports. The presence of a Nishiki branded, aluminum, cotterless crankset would confirm 1980s (and almost certainly 1982) as the 1972 version used a steel, cottered crankset.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 08-21-16, 07:16 PM
  #1609  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great! Thank you. I'm good with 1982. It's a great bike. I wasn't sure if I was reading the serial number right. I am not going to lie- I was hoping that you would say that I had a very rare S1 model. This is my second Nishiki. I had a newer Century sport. That too, was a great riding bike, but it was a little large for me so I sold it. I don't think that I will be selling this Custom Sport for a long time. Thanks for the info and thanks for this forum-its nice to know what you have.
Cyclegraph is offline  
Old 08-22-16, 04:57 PM
  #1610  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=T-Mar;18998085]
Originally Posted by fabricioplato

I didn't realize that Tange had changed their format to yy.m,but that is what it appears to be. Your frame could be either a 1993 or 1994 and there's a possibility that the C10 in the S/N indicates 1993 October. Of course, this assumes the fork is OEM. There's always a possibility of it being a replacement, given that it's chrome but the date code fits with the original estimate and some Nishiki road bicycles were spec'd with chrome forks in the early 1990s, so I'm assuming it is OEM.
Hi! One more thing. I think this is the bike register at the japan police department:



and the year matches, 1993. Do you know if it is possible to see informations about this register number - 93 77026 - somewhere?
fabricioplato is offline  
Old 08-24-16, 11:20 AM
  #1611  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help in fining bike history/manufacture

I bought this Nishiki bike a couple months ago for $10. I needed to replace the tires and wash it up a bit, but since then I've ridden at a few hundred miles. Great bike for the price, but I would like to know more about it. More photos upon request.

Father Francis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20160824_121627.jpg (98.7 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_20160824_122703.jpg (97.5 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_20160824_122725.jpg (96.6 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_20160824_121505.jpg (92.9 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_20160824_122045.jpg (94.5 KB, 302 views)
Father_Francis is offline  
Old 08-24-16, 01:02 PM
  #1612  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,233
Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3,032 Times in 1,872 Posts
Originally Posted by Father_Francis
I bought this Nishiki bike a couple months ago for $10. I needed to replace the tires and wash it up a bit, but since then I've ridden at a few hundred miles. Great bike for the price, but I would like to know more about it...
The subject bicycle was manufactured by Giant of Taiwan in may 1984. The frame is plain gauge chromium-molybdenum main tubes mated to hi-tensile stays and forks. This, in conjunction SunTour (AR?) rear derailleur with claw and Sugino No. 5 crankset indicates an entry level model. It's lower than the 1984 Custom Sport, so it may be a Sport.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 08-24-16, 01:12 PM
  #1613  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The subject bicycle was manufactured by Giant of Taiwan in may 1984. The frame is plain gauge chromium-molybdenum main tubes mated to hi-tensile stays and forks. This, in conjunction SunTour (AR?) rear derailleur with claw and Sugino No. 5 crankset indicates an entry level model. It's lower than the 1984 Custom Sport, so it may be a Sport.
Thanks for the reply,

Though it may not be a top notch racer, I believe it's worth tearing down this winter and going over. I'm happy with the $36.00 I've got into it. Bought for $10 and $26 for new tires, tubes and rim liners off ebay.
Father_Francis is offline  
Old 08-26-16, 01:59 AM
  #1614  
Senior Member
 
Bikedued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,070
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 60 Posts
So. What Nishikis made in the late 70's or early eighties had solid maroon paint, centerpull brakes, long cage derailleur, and a chrome fork crown. I am trying to figure out if one is worth driving over hill and dale to go get? These are the only two pictures, and they're tiny. Sorry.,,,,BD


https://images.craigslist.org/00e0e_9...0_1200x900.jpg

https://images.craigslist.org/00z0z_f...5_1200x900.jpg
__________________
So many bikes, so little dime.
Bikedued is offline  
Old 08-26-16, 02:02 AM
  #1615  
Senior Member
 
Bikedued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,070
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 60 Posts
I guess it could be earlier, since it seems Nishiki was pretty early with their braze on top tube guides?,,,,BD
__________________
So many bikes, so little dime.
Bikedued is offline  
Old 08-26-16, 02:16 AM
  #1616  
Senior Member
 
Bikedued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,070
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The seat tube has the banding which appears to have been introduced for the 1975 model year, so it may be a 1975 model manufactured in late 1974. I've never seen a black version of the VGT. It looks there is exposed white aluminum. If this was factory anodized I wouldn't these sort of marks. Any evidence of them having been painted by a previous owner? It also would be appreciated if you could supply the date codes from the derailleurs and cranks. TIA.
Another Competition with black/silver derailleurs. gaucho777 's bike I believe?,,,,BD


https://i850.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/IMG_3493.jpg
__________________
So many bikes, so little dime.
Bikedued is offline  
Old 08-26-16, 06:51 AM
  #1617  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,233
Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3,032 Times in 1,872 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
So. What Nishikis made in the late 70's or early eighties had solid maroon paint, centerpull brakes, long cage derailleur, and a chrome fork crown. I am trying to figure out if one is worth driving over hill and dale to go get? These are the only two pictures, and they're tiny. Sorry.,,,,BD


https://images.craigslist.org/00e0e_9...0_1200x900.jpg

https://images.craigslist.org/00z0z_f...5_1200x900.jpg
Not much to go on but those are sidepull brakes, as opposed to centrepull. You can see the rear brake housing going into the caliper cable stop on the close-up photo of the seat lug cluster. Down tube shift levers indicate it's better than entry level. Combination of top tube cable clamps, clamp on shifters and what appear to be 700C wheels indicate circa 1978-1980. The crankset looks like it may be a Sugino Super Maxy. I believe this is an International. If so, this is right around the time they switched from a plain CrMo main triangle to a double butted CrMo main triangle, so it could go either way.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 08-29-16, 11:59 PM
  #1618  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you to T-Mar and all who have contributed to this thread. I've got an old Nishiki Sport that my dad bought new decades ago (my mom had a matching one, but it's not in the family anymore). The post I quoted below leads me to believe I have a Giant-made 1977 Sport model.

Serial is G779818
Date code is G777
"Sport" decal is on the top tube near where it meets the headtube
27" wheels (aluminum? no corrosion except on the nipples)
Suntour everything; derailleurs, stem-mounted friction shifters; chainrings (52/40) all have it stamped on
2x5 speeds

And it's got the same paint job, decal lettering color and fonts, etc as the bicycle referred to in the quote below.

Feel free to correct me if I'm off anywhere. I just appreciate being able to find some information!

Originally Posted by Hummer
Reply to old post #707

Hi Ikorpan,

This is a Giant produced frame from 1977. Giant made the Sport model, but I don't know which other models they made in 1977. Possibly, the Rally model also.

I have seen the odd serial number format on one other Nishiki, a Giant made 5-Speed model, also from 1977.

You have made an interesting observation about the headbadge and the tri-colour flag. I have done some checking and it appears that the headbadge for Giant models did not have the tri-colour flag.

Kuwamara and other contracted manufacturers had the eagle with the tri-colour flag.

Thanks for that observation.
Zosu is offline  
Old 08-30-16, 05:37 AM
  #1619  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,233
Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3,032 Times in 1,872 Posts
Originally Posted by Zosu
Thank you to T-Mar and all who have contributed to this thread. I've got an old Nishiki Sport that my dad bought new decades ago (my mom had a matching one, but it's not in the family anymore). The post I quoted below leads me to believe I have a Giant-made 1977 Sport model.

Serial is G779818
Date code is G777
"Sport" decal is on the top tube near where it meets the headtube
27" wheels (aluminum? no corrosion except on the nipples)
Suntour everything; derailleurs, stem-mounted friction shifters; chainrings (52/40) all have it stamped on
2x5 speeds

And it's got the same paint job, decal lettering color and fonts, etc as the bicycle referred to in the quote below.

Feel free to correct me if I'm off anywhere. I just appreciate being able to find some information!
Welcome to the forums Zosu. Yes, your bicycle was manufactured by Giant in July 1977. Typically the date is format Gmmyy but we have seen some early cases where it is Ymyy, if it was built prior to October. Aluminum rims would be unusual on a Sport of this era. Typically they were chrome plated steel. You may want to check them with a magnet. If they are attracted by a magnet, then they are steel and your Dad just did a good job of keeping them dry.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 09-03-16, 06:09 PM
  #1620  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nishiki

I recently bought what is labelled as a Nishiki but haven't been able to identify it. The markings on the bike don't seem to match conventional serial numbers as they are DS 61 and 252129. I think I have been able to identify the derailleur as a SunTour Honor 1100 made in 1976 onwards. The shifters and derailleurs all have SunTour on them. The headset has KA60 on it and there are markings that say Japan. There is a sticker that says Made In Taiwan. Anyone have a guess?

Nishiki - Album on Imgur

Thanks!
Coyote99 is offline  
Old 09-03-16, 08:10 PM
  #1621  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nishiki

I realize there is a Rally sticker on the top tube. Any info on a Nishiki Rally anyone can provide?
Coyote99 is offline  
Old 09-03-16, 08:17 PM
  #1622  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,233
Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3,032 Times in 1,872 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote99
I recently bought what is labelled as a Nishiki but haven't been able to identify it. The markings on the bike don't seem to match conventional serial numbers as they are DS 61 and 252129. I think I have been able to identify the derailleur as a SunTour Honor 1100 made in 1976 onwards. The shifters and derailleurs all have SunTour on them. The headset has KA60 on it and there are markings that say Japan. There is a sticker that says Made In Taiwan. Anyone have a guess?

Nishiki - Album on Imgur

Thanks!
Welcome to the forums. The subject bicycle should be a 1987 Nishiki Rally manufactured by Dodsun of Taiwan in December 1986. I'm ruling out 1976 based on the two tone fade paint and top tube cable tunnels, which are consistent with 1986 but not 1976. The vast majority of Nishiki were manufactured by a handful of contract manufacturers but there were numerous contractors involved with "help" orders and I believe that the S/N format post includes a disclaimer to this effect.

The bicycle itself is not consistent with a USA market Nishiki Rally but we often find differences depending on the intended market and owners changes, which often happen with 30 year old bicycles. The bottom line is that I have no reason to believe it is not a 1987 Nishiki Rally, though it does not appear to be the USA market version. In 1987, the Rally was the bottom of the line model in the USA market and your bicycle is consistent with entry level for the era, despite discrepancies with the USA market version.

Last edited by T-Mar; 09-03-16 at 08:21 PM.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 09-03-16, 08:49 PM
  #1623  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nishiki international serial code date

This is my nishiki international, it has a serial number CD 13206. Can you identify its date of manufacturing?

20160903_170735.jpg

20160903_155710.jpg
Emile_FG is offline  
Old 09-03-16, 08:57 PM
  #1624  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,233
Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3,032 Times in 1,872 Posts
Originally Posted by Emile_FG
This is my nishiki international, it has a serial number CD 13206. Can you identify its date of manufacturing?
It was manufactured in 1984 for the Canadian market. It could be a 1984 model or a 1985 model manufactured in late 1984.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 09-03-16, 10:00 PM
  #1625  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
It was manufactured in 1984 for the Canadian market. It could be a 1984 model or a 1985 model manufactured in late 1984.
Thanks man
Emile_FG is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.