Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Columbus 'Zeta' tubing?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Columbus 'Zeta' tubing?

Old 04-11-08, 02:42 AM
  #1  
joe v
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
joe v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Belgium
Posts: 664

Bikes: ca.1975 Gitane Interclub - 90's Colnago Master Competition- ca.'84 Merckx Corsa - '77 Groene Leeuw - ca. '78 Guerciotti - ca.1984 L'Express - 1974 Gitane 'Super Olympic' - Peugeot 1981 PXN10 - 1975 Peugeot PR10 -1974 Norta -1974 Peugeot PX10 LE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Columbus 'Zeta' tubing?

Anyone familiar with 'Zeta' tubing? I'm interested in a Faggin bike built with this. Can't seem to find much info,

thanks,

Joe
joe v is offline  
Old 04-11-08, 10:11 AM
  #2  
Otis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,756
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
It's their lower end non butted tubeset, later called Alle. But it's not bad stuff. Still can build into a light nice riding frame.

Not sure on the Faggin, but I had a Zeta Bianchi that rode very nicely and built into a honest 21.5 lb complete bike.
Otis is offline  
Old 04-12-08, 03:27 AM
  #3  
Mike01
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Otis
It's their lower end non butted tubeset, later called Alle. But it's not bad stuff. Still can build into a light nice riding frame.

Not sure on the Faggin, but I had a Zeta Bianchi that rode very nicely and built into a honest 21.5 lb complete bike.
Zeta was the cheapest tubeset that Columbus produced in the late 70s/early 80s. Straight gauge tubing like Aelle but not the same, Zeta was 0.9mm in thickness and Aelle 0.8mm. Still it┤s good quality stuff that will build into a nice frame as you say. I remember Faggin used to build a lot of very nice, very detailed frames in the 80s using mainly Aelle tubing.
Mike01 is offline  
Old 11-29-12, 11:25 PM
  #4  
dejaviewcambio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good info mike- I just found this[PDF] [h=3]TUBI SPECIALI PER BICICLET¤E SPEGIALI[/h]www.os2.dhs.org/~john/catalogs/Columbus-tubes.pdf
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
costituiscono la serie ZETA. Le serie COLUMBUS' AELLE e ZETA vengcno fornite in tre iunghezze di tubi. difierenti: Composizicne A per teiai fino ai 57 ...


people tend to argue that if a bike has a 27.2 seatpost it must be Columbus SL- but columbus SL is listed as having the same wall thickness as zeta (at the columbus site above) and I see bikes with zeta tubing-like one of mine-having 27.2 seatposts-what's up?

Originally Posted by Mike01
Zeta was the cheapest tubeset that Columbus produced in the late 70s/early 80s. Straight gauge tubing like Aelle but not the same, Zeta was 0.9mm in thickness and Aelle 0.8mm. Still it┤s good quality stuff that will build into a nice frame as you say. I remember Faggin used to build a lot of very nice, very detailed frames in the 80s using mainly Aelle tubing.
dejaviewcambio is offline  
Old 11-30-12, 07:48 AM
  #5  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,233
Mentioned: 645 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4710 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2,999 Times in 1,854 Posts
Originally Posted by dejaviewcambio
...people tend to argue that if a bike has a 27.2 seatpost it must be Columbus SL- but columbus SL is listed as having the same wall thickness as zeta (at the columbus site above) and I see bikes with zeta tubing-like one of mine-having 27.2 seatposts-what's up?
Zeta is plain gauge tubeset, which means the wall thickness does not vary. SL is a butted tubeset, which means the main tubes are are thicker at the ends, where there is more stress, but thinner in the middle to save weight. The butts in the SL main tubes are the same thickness as Zeta but elsewhere they are 0.3mm thinner. Now, the seat tube on SL is single butted, meaning it's thicker only at the bottom bracket end. The seat post end has walls that are 0.3mm thinner. Since the outside diameter is standard (28.6mm) that means SL should take a 0.6mm larger post.

SL has a theoretical inner diameter of 27.4mm while Zeta's is 26.8mm. For clearance, manufacturers use a post 0.2mm under this, typically 27.2mm for SL and 26.6mm for Zeta. Now, some manufacturers did ream out the seat tubes so they have to stock less sizes of posts and it's a fairly common practice on SP tubesets (which is 01mm thicker than SL) but I have never heard of this being done on Zeta. That's removing a lot of material consider that Zeta is a carbon steel and not anywhere near as strong as the chromium molybdenum steel alloy used in SL. Zeta was basically a very lightweight hi-tensile steel. Are you sure your frame is Zeta?
T-Mar is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
jet sanchEz
Classic & Vintage
26
10-01-21 08:51 PM
howellhandmade
Classic & Vintage
5
07-06-17 06:02 PM
longi
Classic & Vintage
9
08-16-14 09:56 PM
Barrettscv
Classic & Vintage
23
09-26-13 04:18 PM
clayface
Classic & Vintage
1
11-29-12 11:22 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.