Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1991 Schwinn Paramount

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1991 Schwinn Paramount

Old 08-01-08, 04:31 PM
  #26  
www.onecycles.com
 
douchebagonwhlz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Western Slope, CO
Posts: 917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dannyg1
Please note the presence of a bidder:

https://cgi.ebay.com/BIKE-Schwinn-Par...QQcmdZViewItem

As an aside, 50th anniversary Waterford P'mounts have doubled in price over the last three months:
https://cgi.ebay.com/SCHWINN-50th-ANN...QQcmdZViewItem

Markets changing kids!
The outfitter at harper's ferry! They should save that bike for thru hikers to run errands!
I thought waterford was in Wisconsin, or is that waterloo?
douchebagonwhlz is offline  
Old 08-02-08, 07:32 PM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,653
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Actually both Waterford and Waterloo are in Wisconsin. One builds Treks and the other built Paramounts and now builds Waterfords. I will let you figure out which is which. Roger
rhenning is offline  
Old 08-27-08, 10:20 PM
  #28  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 850

Bikes: Schwinns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not trying to bring back an old thread, but can anyone verify the statement in this thread?

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...t=3+series+pdg

> The "Series" Paramounts mostly came from Japan, but the series 2, 20,
3 and 30 came from Taiwan and eventually China by 1992.
.

I was under the impression that these were all Japanese Panasonic made frames.
jeebusaurousrex is offline  
Likes For jeebusaurousrex:
Old 08-28-08, 12:18 AM
  #29  
Decrepit Member
 
Scooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Rosa, California
Posts: 10,488

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by jeebusaurousrex
Not trying to bring back an old thread, but can anyone verify the statement in this thread?

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...t=3+series+pdg

> The "Series" Paramounts mostly came from Japan, but the series 2, 20,
3 and 30 came from Taiwan and eventually China by 1992.
.

I was under the impression that these were all Japanese Panasonic made frames.
The two people who would know for sure are Marc Muller and Richard Schwinn who were both very involved in the Series Paramount production contracts. Your quote is from an e-mail from Richard Schwinn to Bob Hufford, so it is to be believed.

The Paramount history section of the Waterford website says the Series Paramounts were built "in Asian factories" rather than just Japanese factories, so it looks like the higher end Series road bikes (Series 7 and Series 5) were built by Panasonic, and the lower end (Series 2 and Series 3) were built in Taiwan and China.
__________________
- Stan

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Scooper is offline  
Old 08-28-08, 09:50 AM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 850

Bikes: Schwinns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scooper
The two people who would know for sure are Marc Muller and Richard Schwinn who were both very involved in the Series Paramount production contracts. Your quote is from an e-mail from Richard Schwinn to Bob Hufford, so it is to be believed.

The Paramount history section of the Waterford website says the Series Paramounts were built "in Asian factories" rather than just Japanese factories, so it looks like the higher end Series road bikes (Series 7 and Series 5) were built by Panasonic, and the lower end (Series 2 and Series 3) were built in Taiwan and China.
Thanks, Scooper. EPay has a Series 3 up for grabs and was debating whether or not it was worth somewhere in the ballpark of $300. Any thoughts?
jeebusaurousrex is offline  
Old 08-28-08, 12:38 PM
  #31  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,653
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
I have a Series 2 and it a very nice riding bike. I believe its the same frame as a Series 3 with lesser components. Frame is Tange double butted tubing. I paid $125 for it in almost new condition. Roger
rhenning is offline  
Old 10-02-08, 12:32 PM
  #32  
One speed: FAST !
 
fordfasterr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ft. Lauderdale FL
Posts: 3,375

Bikes: Ebay Bikes... =)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got a great looking series 3 paramount with the rx-100 group for $235.

It was originally selling for $350 but I could not buy it, then I see it re-listed a month later for the lower price and I could not resist.

=)

It is that blue color in a 57-ish frame size. perfect fit for me!!!

Can't wait to cannibalize it into a 10 speed STI setup =)
fordfasterr is offline  
Old 10-02-08, 08:33 PM
  #33  
Senior Member
 
miamijim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 13,954
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by fordfasterr
I just got a great looking series 3 paramount with the rx-100 group for $235.

It was originally selling for $350 but I could not buy it, then I see it re-listed a month later for the lower price and I could not resist.

=)

It is that blue color in a 57-ish frame size. perfect fit for me!!!

Can't wait to cannibalize it into a 10 speed STI setup =)

Now I know why he didnt call me back......thats Ok though....scored a Klein instead.
miamijim is offline  
Old 10-06-08, 09:27 AM
  #34  
One speed: FAST !
 
fordfasterr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ft. Lauderdale FL
Posts: 3,375

Bikes: Ebay Bikes... =)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
Now I know why he didnt call me back......thats Ok though....scored a Klein instead.

He had that bike for sale over 2 months...

The only stock parts I kept were the brakes =) They are labeled Shimano SLR RX100. They work GOOD with the new pads =)

It has been converted to 105-10 speed.

Here are the pictures:


















Last edited by fordfasterr; 10-06-08 at 09:39 AM.
fordfasterr is offline  
Old 10-06-08, 09:35 AM
  #35  
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 31,294

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 709 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
The seller intentionally obfuscates the origin of this bike. It's a PDG Series 2 Paramount made by Panasonic in Japan (NOT Waterford), and is the low end model.

The bidder is paying WAY too much, changing market or not.
By a factor of 2 or 3. I sold a Waterford built 1989 Paramount OS, fully restored by Waterford, with Dura Ace 9 speed for $650.

The bike twice failed to meet my $750 reserve in Ebay auctions. Guess that's the vagaries of Ebay.
__________________
You could fall off a cliff and die.
You could get lost and die.
You could hit a tree and die.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
merlinextraligh is offline  
Old 10-06-08, 11:10 AM
  #36  
Senior Member
 
miamijim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 13,954
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by fordfasterr
He had that bike for sale over 2 months...

The only stock parts I kept were the brakes =) They are labeled Shimano SLR RX100. They work GOOD with the new pads =)

It has been converted to 105-10 speed.
I know...I just couldnt justify his $350 price tag. By the time I saw the 'new price' you obviously had picked it up.

It looks good!!! I knew it would clean up real nice!!!
miamijim is offline  
Old 10-06-08, 02:14 PM
  #37  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,213
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
I know...I just couldnt justify his $350 price tag. By the time I saw the 'new price' you obviously had picked it up.

It looks good!!! I knew it would clean up real nice!!!
Mavic Cosmic Elites sell for what guy's?

I'm consistently amazed by the P'mount bashing, but I admit that I like the way it keeps me able to find 'em cheap. Schwinn Circuits, Super Sports, Preludes, Pelotons, Voyageurs, sometimes even down to the lowly World Sport consistently sell for more than PDG P'mounts, even though they're lower end models all made by Panasonic, in the same factories, in the same timeframe.

In answer to your real question, is a PDG3 worth $325? Abso-friggin-lutely! Even without the $400 wheelset. These should sell for more like $550 (like the Panasonic Team does. Same bike, different lugs.)

Danny
dannyg1 is offline  
Old 10-06-08, 02:25 PM
  #38  
Senior Member
 
miamijim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 13,954
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by dannyg1
Mavic Cosmic Elites sell for what guy's?

I'm consistently amazed by the P'mount bashing, but I admit that I like the way it keeps me able to find 'em cheap. Schwinn Circuits, Super Sports, Preludes, Pelotons, Voyageurs, sometimes even down to the lowly World Sport consistently sell for more than PDG P'mounts, even though they're lower end models all made by Panasonic, in the same factories, in the same timeframe.

In answer to your real question, is a PDG3 worth $325? Abso-friggin-lutely! Even without the $400 wheelset. These should sell for more like $550 (like the Panasonic Team does. Same bike, different lugs.)

Danny

Danny, the new owner replaced the originals wheels with the Mavics.

The $350 tag was for a stock bike with full RX100 components.
miamijim is offline  
Old 10-06-08, 03:22 PM
  #39  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,213
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
Danny, the new owner replaced the originals wheels with the Mavics.

The $350 tag was for a stock bike with full RX100 components.
Doesn't detract an inch from what I wrote. There's voodoo economics going on in the heads of prospective PDG buyers and the frames ride brilliantly.
dannyg1 is offline  
Old 10-06-08, 07:15 PM
  #40  
One speed: FAST !
 
fordfasterr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ft. Lauderdale FL
Posts: 3,375

Bikes: Ebay Bikes... =)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dannyg1
Doesn't detract an inch from what I wrote. There's voodoo economics going on in the heads of prospective PDG buyers and the frames ride brilliantly.
True, I had already retired that wheelset a long time ago, only to install it on the World Sport until they were moved to the Pmount.

=)

After riding it today for the first time (10 miles) I can say for sure that it is a bit stiffer than the world sport, and it is a bit lighter too. Ride quality is just as good and you can't beat steel =)
fordfasterr is offline  
Old 01-16-09, 06:11 AM
  #41  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dude, I want to selling my bike. but i don't know how much $$ start with!?



Or Should I modify my road bike into singled-speed?
GMERGOD is offline  
Old 01-10-12, 08:07 AM
  #42  
Senior Member
 
Ranger63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: western new york
Posts: 720

Bikes: mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bob Hufford has been sending me CL sales on the PDG Series.
I've got (going on 20 years now)a 92 Series 3 that's gone thru several changes over the years but still has a fantastic ride (Think the new Rivendale lugged frame traditional size)
Via the sends from Bob and the photos posted on this old thread,I'm wondering what colors-besides the white with yellow and purple splash that the series 5s seemed to have and the Blue with red flecks that dominate the series 3-these PDG Series were offered in.
Yes I'm in the process of looking at another Series that I can convert to a brifter 9spd with closer ratio gearing.
(the current Series 3 I have just went to a 12-30 Velo Orange Grand Cru 46/30 to make the hills a bit easier for these 69 year old legs.)
Ranger63 is offline  
Old 01-10-12, 05:43 PM
  #43  
Keeper of the SLDB
 
BobHufford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 1,577

Bikes: '75 Schwinn Paramount P-10, '86 Ritchey Commando, '87 Schwinn Cimarron, '91 Trek 990, '87 Schwinn High Sierra, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '4? Schwinn New World, '76 Swing Bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rich -- I was going to point you to the PDG Series page on Wateford's site, but it appears to be broken. Here is an archived version that lists the colors.

Bob

https://liveweb.archive.org/https://wa...type=pdgseries
BobHufford is offline  
Old 04-26-15, 10:23 AM
  #44  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Detroit Michigan
Posts: 4

Bikes: 5 vintage schwinns, Bridgestone RB-1, Roadmaster '40, 2-womens Raleigh Sports '74, huffy '76

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a Schwinn PDG 594 made in 1989 for the 1990 Year model per the Headbadge. Made in Greenville, Miss. USA before they were made in Osaka Japan. very good bike. good shimano components, stiff ride.
sully7 is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 04:51 PM
  #45  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: texas
Posts: 5

Bikes: cervelo, independent fabrication

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1992 Schwinn Paramount PDG series 2

does anybody know the handlebar size 26.0 25.8 ?
a3333f is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 05:56 PM
  #46  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,199
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Yogurt
If the bike says "PDG Series" or "Oversize" anywhere on it, the bike was built by Panasonic in Japan for Schwinn. These are nice frames, but not of the same caliber normally associated with Waterford Paramounts, more of like a slightly higher than mid-level bike. "True" Paramounts were built by Waterford in 1991. $150 for a Series frame/fork is really, really steep in my opinion.
Incorrect. Be careful. Falling from a high horse can hurt.

If Schwinn called it a Paramount itís a Paramount, and true. There were OS Paramounts from the Waterford plant. There were Series 2, 3, 5 and 7 from OMG Japan! Properly built, easily as good as the high falutin models. Some cost more, some ride better. The target market determines it all. Iím giving away a Waterford made OS model. Perhaps that makes it worthless.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 05-21-20 at 06:31 PM.
RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 06:08 PM
  #47  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,199
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger63
Bob Hufford has been sending me CL sales on the PDG Series.
I've got (going on 20 years now)a 92 Series 3 that's gone thru several changes over the years but still has a fantastic ride (Think the new Rivendale lugged frame traditional size)
Via the sends from Bob and the photos posted on this old thread,I'm wondering what colors-besides the white with yellow and purple splash that the series 5s seemed to have and the Blue with red flecks that dominate the series 3-these PDG Series were offered in.
Yes I'm in the process of looking at another Series that I can convert to a brifter 9spd with closer ratio gearing.
(the current Series 3 I have just went to a 12-30 Velo Orange Grand Cru 46/30 to make the hills a bit easier for these 69 year old legs.)
The Series 7 650C model had one of the trickiest paint schemes Iíve seen. The 700C model was tamer.
RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 07:27 PM
  #48  
Senior Member
 
Yogurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 541

Bikes: Formerly...1978 Proteus, 1981 Miyata 912, 1983 Schwinn Paramount, 1962 Raleigh Sports Deluxe, 1976 Alan Super Record.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Incorrect. Be careful. Falling from a high horse can hurt.

If Schwinn called it a Paramount it’s a Paramount, and true. There were OS Paramounts from the Waterford plant. There were Series 2, 3, 5 and 7 from OMG Japan! Properly built, easily as good as the high falutin models. Some cost more, some ride better. The target market determines it all. I’m giving away a Waterford made OS model. Perhaps that makes it worthless.
That post was made in 2008. Can pedantry really power a time machine? Seems so. Anyway, see everyone in another 12 years.
Yogurt is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 07:28 PM
  #49  
weapons-grade bolognium
 
thinktubes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Across the street from Chicago
Posts: 6,340

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,368 Times in 888 Posts





brains!
thinktubes is online now  
Old 05-21-20, 09:44 PM
  #50  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,199
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Yogurt
That post was made in 2008. Can pedantry really power a time machine? Seems so. Anyway, see everyone in another 12 years.
I think I may have posted somewhat the same way back then, too.
RobbieTunes is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.