Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Old 02-18-21, 08:43 AM
  #16701  
Senior Member
 
northbend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Bend, Washington State
Posts: 2,941

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 667 Posts
Nice little ride yesterday with friends on the Red Barn Loop in the lower Snoqualmie Valley.
Red Barn Loop 7 Photo by Steve Rossano by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Red Barn Loop 2 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Red Barn Loop 1 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Red Barn Loop 5 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Red Barn Loop 6 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
northbend is offline  
Old 02-18-21, 11:11 PM
  #16702  
Senior Member
 
gaucho777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 7,236

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 553 Posts
I got to take out my '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme for a maiden test ride, only ~5 miles in the 'hood. I picked up the frame and a few parts from forum member @SwimmerMike recently. I filled in the rest of the parts/wheels from my stash. I'm still waiting on a longer stem to arrive from overseas--hence the lack of bar tape. I have a set of hammered fenders that will be installed next. Then I have to sort out accessories--panniers/bags, racks, lighting, cages, pump, and maybe a bell. I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along so far...


Last edited by gaucho777; 02-18-21 at 11:39 PM. Reason: typo
gaucho777 is offline  
Likes For gaucho777:
Old 02-19-21, 01:15 AM
  #16703  
Senior Member
 
gaucho777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 7,236

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
We have another high sitting off the coast. Made for perfect soil condition on a



MTB ride. New area for me, Pleasanton Ridge. A lot of climbing but it paid off with some great views. The park itself is well groomed but bikes are restricted to the main trails.
That looks fun! Makes me want to try it with the new Gitane (see above). Where do you catch the trailhead? I mostly ride on the road and don’t know the local trails very well. Other Bay Area gravel-bike-friendly suggestions welcome.
gaucho777 is offline  
Old 02-19-21, 11:16 AM
  #16704  
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 7,643

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
That looks fun! Makes me want to try it with the new Gitane (see above). Where do you catch the trailhead? I mostly ride on the road and don’t know the local trails very well. Other Bay Area gravel-bike-friendly suggestions welcome.
We started at the Foothill staging area. https://www.ebparks.org/parks/pleasanton/
Nice starter for you would be the Wildcat Canyon trail. Ride down to Alvarado Park in Richmond and then back over the hills to Berkeley. Also, check out some of the bay area Ridge Trail maps. Nice bike!
https://www.alltrails.com/explore/tr...-regional-park

Last edited by curbtender; 02-19-21 at 11:46 AM.
curbtender is offline  
Old 02-19-21, 11:54 AM
  #16705  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Saratoga, CA
Posts: 821

Bikes: 1981 Bianchi Specialissim, 1976 Colnago Super. 1971 Bob Jackson. 2012 Kestrel 4000. 2012 Willier. 2016 Fuji Cross 1.1

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 387 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
I got to take out my '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme for a maiden test ride, only ~5 miles in the 'hood. I picked up the frame and a few parts from forum member @SwimmerMike recently. I filled in the rest of the parts/wheels from my stash. I'm still waiting on a longer stem to arrive from overseas--hence the lack of bar tape. I have a set of hammered fenders that will be installed next. Then I have to sort out accessories--panniers/bags, racks, lighting, cages, pump, and maybe a bell. I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along so far...

Hey Gaucho -

It's looking great. It's nice to see the Gitane again! It looks like you are enjoying it.

Mike
SwimmerMike is offline  
Old 02-19-21, 05:48 PM
  #16706  
Senior Member
 
northbend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Bend, Washington State
Posts: 2,941

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 667 Posts
I overcame inertia by early afternoon and rolled out for a little ride to check out how the Middle Fork Road fared our last winter storm.
MFR Winter 1 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

I was surprised to see that it was plowed once I got to the start of the road. Kept going to see how far it goes…
MFR Winter 2 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

MFR Winter 3 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

I turned around where the plows stopped their work. Just around this bend in the road near mile post 12.
MFR Winter 4 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
northbend is offline  
Old 02-19-21, 06:36 PM
  #16707  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Cambridge UK
Posts: 852

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
Wow

Originally Posted by northbend
I overcame inertia by early afternoon and rolled out for a little ride to check out how the Middle Fork Road fared our last winter storm.
MFR Winter 1 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

I was surprised to see that it was plowed once I got to the start of the road. Kept going to see how far it goes…
MFR Winter 2 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

MFR Winter 3 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

I turned around where the plows stopped their work. Just around this bend in the road near mile post 12.
MFR Winter 4 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
I mean wow.Just wow!
Johno59 is offline  
Old 02-19-21, 07:28 PM
  #16708  
Senior Member
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 9,512

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Still really cold and snowy so just some local riding. I'm hoping for a fay with above freezing temps and no wind some time soon.


zukahn1 is offline  
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 02-19-21, 08:50 PM
  #16709  
Senior Member
 
gaucho777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 7,236

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 553 Posts
Thanks for the info @curbtender
gaucho777 is offline  
Old 02-21-21, 06:34 AM
  #16710  
Senior Member
 
Vonruden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ocean County, NJ
Posts: 2,914

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 115 Posts
Salty roads on the beater bike

Vonruden is offline  
Old 02-21-21, 09:01 AM
  #16711  
Senior Member
 
obrentharris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Point Reyes Station, California
Posts: 4,525

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,460 Times in 1,129 Posts
@Vonruden good to see your photos in this thread again!
Brent
obrentharris is offline  
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 02-21-21, 10:05 AM
  #16712  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 4,777

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked 3,084 Times in 911 Posts
Thanks to all who are braver and hardier than me for posting pics of your wintertime rides!

Vonruden The rear basket on your Diablo - Is that bike specific or hardware store find? I’m building up a bike with a front porteur rack like yours and want to use a similar basket that I can take on and off.
__________________
N = '96 Colnago C40, '04 Wilier Alpe D'Huez, '10 Colnago EPS, '85 Merckx Pro, '89 Merckx Century, '86 Tommasini Professional, '04 Teschner Aero FX Pro, '05 Alan Carbon Cross, '86 De Rosa Professional, '82 Colnago Super, '95 Gios Compact Pro, '95 Carrera Zeus, '84 Basso Gap, ‘89 Cinelli Supercorsa, ‘83 Bianchi Specialissima, ‘VO Randonneur, Ritchey Breakaway Steel, '84 Paletti Super Prestige, Heron Randonneur

Spaghetti Legs is offline  
Old 02-21-21, 10:06 AM
  #16713  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 5,083

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,385 Times in 758 Posts
First time heading into the city in a while (heck, first time riding in a while!). Turned around just past the Magic Hedge at Montrose Harbor.

__________________
Monti Special
smontanaro is offline  
Likes For smontanaro:
Old 02-21-21, 12:19 PM
  #16714  
Fast Old Guy
 
Straightblock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Central California
Posts: 638
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 177 Posts
On Road 10 in Madera County, orchards blooming.


Last edited by Straightblock; 02-21-21 at 08:12 PM.
Straightblock is offline  
Old 02-21-21, 01:50 PM
  #16715  
Senior Member
 
northbend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Bend, Washington State
Posts: 2,941

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 667 Posts
Now that is nice, @Straightblock! A reminder that Spring is just around the corner. Thanks
My wife wanted me out of the house so she could concentrate on some work she had to do. So a ‘free’ day to do longer ride…
One of my favorite Lowland Loops that takes full advantage of our regional trail systems.

The weather was pretty agreeable when I started in the late morning but deteriorated steadily until I was riding the last hour in a cold light rain.
I didn't take any other pictures after these early on when the sun popped out for a while on the way to Issaquah.
Preston Trail by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

On the way to Issaquah by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
northbend is offline  
Old 02-21-21, 02:35 PM
  #16716  
Senior Member
 
malcala622's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Pico Rivera, CA
Posts: 4,182

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
23 miles with a friend on his Klein.


malcala622 is offline  
Likes For malcala622:
Old 02-21-21, 02:56 PM
  #16717  
Banned.
 
Drillium Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PAZ
Posts: 12,294
Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by malcala622
23 miles with a friend on his Klein.

Until today I'd never seen a tagged tree

Nice Chrono!

DD
Drillium Dude is offline  
Old 02-21-21, 04:06 PM
  #16718  
Senior Member
 
malcala622's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Pico Rivera, CA
Posts: 4,182

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Until today I'd never seen a tagged tree

Nice Chrono!

DD
Thanks DD. It wasn't smart to bring my 12-19 gearing but it was a fun challenge going up a few small hills.
malcala622 is offline  
Old 02-21-21, 06:50 PM
  #16719  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,143
Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,634 Times in 2,599 Posts
Yeah, it snowed last week, and it didn’t get above freezing today, but the roads were clear and the sun was shining so my buddy and I got out for a 40 miler.

nlerner is offline  
Old 02-21-21, 09:39 PM
  #16720  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Saratoga, CA
Posts: 821

Bikes: 1981 Bianchi Specialissim, 1976 Colnago Super. 1971 Bob Jackson. 2012 Kestrel 4000. 2012 Willier. 2016 Fuji Cross 1.1

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 387 Posts
Bob Jackson's first trip up OLH

I've been slowly finishing off getting my Bob Jackson set-up to be able to climb. Most of the great rides around the South San Francisco Bay include some good climbing. After finally getting some "thin" bottom bracket cups in (learned a new one that the triple bottom bracket has thin cups, not the rifled cups of a double) I was able to get the crankset out far enough to get a reliable shift into the granny gear. There's a climb in Woodside that is very iconic, Old La Honda. Not a real hard climb, but one that everyone knows. So I figured that was the ride I needed to do to check out the set-up. The long cage NR and the triple worked great. I had a small issue that the Sheeren Wheels didn't sound happy when I was out of the saddle . I noticed this before, but it was way more noticeable going in and out of the saddle in the quiet woods.

For anyone that has done OLH, they know the "Mailboxes" are the top. I thought that would make a good backdrop.

Mike
Attached Images
SwimmerMike is offline  
Likes For SwimmerMike:
Old 02-22-21, 05:29 AM
  #16721  
Senior Member
 
Vonruden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ocean County, NJ
Posts: 2,914

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs
Thanks to all who are braver and hardier than me for posting pics of your wintertime rides!

Vonruden The rear basket on your Diablo - Is that bike specific or hardware store find? I’m building up a bike with a front porteur rack like yours and want to use a similar basket that I can take on and off.
It’s the medium Wald basket that Rivendell sells. I was using up front on another bike that I had decided to go with the large version, works great on the rear rack.
Vonruden is offline  
Old 02-22-21, 10:42 AM
  #16722  
Senior Member
 
obrentharris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Point Reyes Station, California
Posts: 4,525

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,460 Times in 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by SwimmerMike
I've been slowly finishing off getting my Bob Jackson set-up to be able to climb. Most of the great rides around the South San Francisco Bay include some good climbing. After finally getting some "thin" bottom bracket cups in (learned a new one that the triple bottom bracket has thin cups, not the rifled cups of a double) I was able to get the crankset out far enough to get a reliable shift into the granny gear. There's a climb in Woodside that is very iconic, Old La Honda. Not a real hard climb, but one that everyone knows. So I figured that was the ride I needed to do to check out the set-up. The long cage NR and the triple worked great. I had a small issue that the Sheeren Wheels didn't sound happy when I was out of the saddle . I noticed this before, but it was way more noticeable going in and out of the saddle in the quiet woods.

For anyone that has done OLH, they know the "Mailboxes" are the top. I thought that would make a good backdrop.

Mike
Thanks for bringing back some good memories!
Fifty years ago I used to climb Old La Honda on my Bob Jackson with a 42/24 low gear. I rarely saw another cyclist. I haven't ridden it since but I understand that it's now very popular. I certainly wouldn't be using the same gears today!
Brent
obrentharris is offline  
Old 02-22-21, 11:59 AM
  #16723  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,143
Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,634 Times in 2,599 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
Thanks for bringing back some good memories!
Fifty years ago I used to climb Old La Honda on my Bob Jackson with a 42/24 low gear. I rarely saw another cyclist. I haven't ridden it since but I understand that it's now very popular. I certainly wouldn't be using the same gears today!
Brent
I also remember climbing up Old La Honda a couple of times on my Raleigh SuperCourse with probably 42-25 gearing. Of course, I was in my 20s then.
nlerner is offline  
Old 02-22-21, 12:58 PM
  #16724  
Senior Member
 
northbend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Bend, Washington State
Posts: 2,941

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I also remember climbing up Old La Honda a couple of times
I just followed it on Google "Street View". What a cool road!
Gotta hit that one sometime when I'm down that ways..
northbend is offline  
Old 02-22-21, 04:34 PM
  #16725  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,143
Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,634 Times in 2,599 Posts
Originally Posted by northbend
I just followed it on Google "Street View". What a cool road!
Gotta hit that one sometime when I'm down that ways..
Matt, I have a feeling you’ll do that ride on your fixed gear bike! I believe @gugie did that ride a couple of years ago on his zero bike.
nlerner is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.