Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/)
-   -   Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved) (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/491452-whered-you-ride-today-new-improved.html)

JJScaliger 11-26-20 12:32 PM


Joggers are strange.
Roger that. They are always salmoning up the road. I almost hit an obstinant one a couple of months ago right at the crest of a steep hill. I had my head down, grinding through it and he didn't yield. Next time I'll hit him like the dog...

I did 5 laps at Roger Williams Park yesterday for 22 miles. A nice undulating ride, 45 degrees and gray, no one there. Broken spoke on last lap which led to peeling off my sewup as it broke in the nipple. PITA Stupid dog.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c8fa188979.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...345082106a.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...00e439924a.jpg
Temple to Music

Spaghetti Legs 11-26-20 01:12 PM

Sunny and 70 here today! I had a small window between the roads drying out from last night’s rain and having to get to work in the kitchen, so took the Basso for a quick ride around town. Fu by about the jogger talk - I skipped the bike lane and rode in the middle of the car lane on Main St since there was no traffic. Later in the ride I had moved out of the bike lane to give a sidewalk jogger some space. As was looking down for a second, I guess double checking my gearing for the climb I was starting, when I brushed the jogger’s shoulder. He had moved into the bike lane without checking his 6. Happy Thanksgiving all!

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...82ed7d2f4.jpeg
The Pratt Gingko at the UVA Rotunda. Planted in 1860 and named after the first UVA groundskeeper.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1e862101c.jpeg
UVA football practice

abshipp 11-26-20 03:16 PM

40° and windy, but sunny sometimes too!


https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6b2e410dc4.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...44d13d446d.jpg

scarlson 11-26-20 06:55 PM

Binged watched The Crown while eating dry toast, kale, and eggs until it stopped raining here, then went on an evening turkey trot. It was about 60F and no wind, so I felt very fast. Saw a guy on a green and white Austro-Daimler (I think? At least the logo was in that font) with VO fenders and Wald front basket on my way through Somerville. Anybody from here?

Very little traffic, only one other cyclist to wave at, and a ton of cops on the road! Undercover and marked cars everywhere I turned. Had to keep putting on my face covering even though it was just me on the road, to avoid risking the heavy fines - I'm getting good at recognizing the headlight pattern of a Ford Explorer since that's what they all drive nowadays. Seriously, you'd think the traditional Thanksgiving meal was pork and donuts at this point! :lol:

smontanaro 11-27-20 08:03 AM

Had to ride into the city to pick up some enchiladas at my brother-in-law's (holiday tradition in his family), so I decided to make an easy ride of it. Down to the Loop and back. Took advantage of the nearly empty streets to take a few pics along the way without those pesky tourists. ;)

Wrigley Field (long a Chicago landmark, now officially on the National Register of Historic Places):

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...75d6e907_c.jpg

Cycle Smithy (long time Chicago bike shop with lots of vintage stuff in its museum):

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...8566f340_c.jpg

Lincoln Park Conservatory (needs a good window washing):

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...1a673084_c.jpg

Reid Murdoch Building on the Chicago River (LaSalle Street bridge in the foreground - one of the Chicago River's several iconic bascule bridges):

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...1e8cb599_c.jpg

Marina City (familiar to movie fans - apologies for the Leaning Tower of Pisa effect, was focusing on getting as little of Trump Tower in the shot and forgot about other basic composition issues - IBM building designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe peeking through to the left of Marina City):

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...08a7671e_c.jpg

Picasso:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...74009282_c.jpg

Chagall:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...240b296c_c.jpg

Calder (Kluczynski Federal Building in the background - also designed by Mies van der Rohe - again with the Leaning Tower effect - dang! ):

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...0d1bcc1e_c.jpg

Those three art works are within four blocks of one another, all on the west side of Dearborn.

Lakefront Trail over the Chicago River (last phase of the Navy Pier Flyover project - holes in the bridge abutments have now been punched):

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...9d5f2ecf_c.jpg

eom 11-27-20 08:41 AM


Originally Posted by smontanaro (Post 21808145)
Had to ride into the city to pick up some enchiladas at my brother-in-law's (holiday tradition in his family),

Pictures of the enchiladas or ... you know.

smontanaro 11-27-20 12:20 PM


Originally Posted by eom (Post 21808183)
Pictures of the enchiladas or ... you know.

There's always a smart alek in the crowd. You're lucky I haven't already eaten them. ;)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...f6df0d3b_c.jpg

eom 11-27-20 12:45 PM


Originally Posted by smontanaro (Post 21808447)
There's always a smart alek in the crowd. You're lucky I haven't already eaten them. ;)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...f6df0d3b_c.jpg

Your willpower must be strong, or there were more than five to start. They would not have made it home if I was picking them up.
My defense would be, “For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.”

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for the food porn.

smontanaro 11-27-20 12:50 PM


Originally Posted by eom (Post 21808471)
Your willpower must be strong, or there were more than five to start. They would not have made it home if I was picking them up.

I was nearly home and it wasn't really warm enough to eat outside here yesterday. We had plenty of other Thanksgiving food at home, so I decided to save the enchiladas for later.

Kilroy1988 11-27-20 12:56 PM


Originally Posted by JJScaliger (Post 21807277)
I did 5 laps at Roger Williams Park yesterday for 22 miles. A nice undulating ride, 45 degrees and gray, no one there. Broken spoke on last lap which led to peeling off my sewup as it broke in the nipple. PITA Stupid dog.

I love your Bates. What year is it? Do you know if it's a Vegrandis or B.A.R. model? Sorry to hear about the spoke trouble!

-Gregory

nlerner 11-27-20 01:11 PM

We had a brief peak of sunshine this morning, but then a coastal front moved in, and it was damp and cloudy. Managed to get in 40 miles with a friend, but really need to clean my bike now.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5f5b885fe.jpeg

JJScaliger 11-27-20 02:50 PM


I love your Bates. What year is it? Do you know if it's a Vegrandis or B.A.R. model? Sorry to hear about the spoke trouble!
Thanks, I was just being lazy about the wheel. I fixed the spoke Weds and glued on a new tire today. I had been running my cheap spare for 500 miles.

My Bates is a Bates of London B.A.R. before he moved to Westcliff-on-Sea, Essex. I'm pretty sure it's from 1947/8 by the serial number. I think Bates started using Nervex lugs sometime after he moved operations to Essex in 1954. In my opinion all Bates with the diadrant fork are basically the same. The lugs have slight variations, some have chrome, the Volante is supposed to be a little lighter than the B.A.R. which in turn is a little lighter than the Vegrandis. I'm really enjoying the Bates set up as a fixed gear.

scozim 11-27-20 05:11 PM

Finally getting the Rodriguez sorted out. Been a slow process. Looking forward to putting some tubulars on it in the spring to see how the ride changes and also how it climbs
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9caed27dcf.jpg

Kilroy1988 11-27-20 05:35 PM


Originally Posted by JJScaliger (Post 21808599)
Thanks, I was just being lazy about the wheel. I fixed the spoke Weds and glued on a new tire today. I had been running my cheap spare for 500 miles.

My Bates is a Bates of London B.A.R. before he moved to Westcliff-on-Sea, Essex. I'm pretty sure it's from 1947/8 by the serial number. I think Bates started using Nervex lugs sometime after he moved operations to Essex in 1954. In my opinion all Bates with the diadrant fork are basically the same. The lugs have slight variations, some have chrome, the Volante is supposed to be a little lighter than the B.A.R. which in turn is a little lighter than the Vegrandis. I'm really enjoying the Bates set up as a fixed gear.

Thanks for the information! I admit that despite nearly pulling the trigger on a couple of Bates frames with diadrant forks and cantiflex tubing over the years, I've never researched the differences between the models. Assuming Bates was primarily using butted 531 tubing (as the Cantiflex decals typical say) might the general difference in weight between the models come down more to their initial specification as full bikes than the actual frame weight?

-Gregory

Spaghetti Legs 11-27-20 05:43 PM


Originally Posted by smontanaro (Post 21808145)
Had to ride into the city to pick up some enchiladas at my brother-in-law's (holiday tradition in his family), so I decided to make an easy ride of it. Down to the Loop and back. Took advantage of the nearly empty streets to take a few pics along the way without those pesky tourists. ;)

Wrigley Field (long a Chicago landmark, now officially on the National Register of Historic Places):

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...75d6e907_c.jpg


Hey, that’s where the Blues Brothers live!

Great city, thanks for the pics.

seypat 11-27-20 07:26 PM


Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs (Post 21808754)
Hey, that’s where the Blues Brothers live!

Great city, thanks for the pics.

Don't forget about Uncle Buck! He lives next door.


SurferRosa 11-27-20 07:33 PM

Haven't ridden the Bertoni in a while. Glad I did today. Feels really confident bombing down my favorite road in the seattle area, Perkins Way, on this bike, which is a little bigger than my others. Perkins leads to the top of Lake WA and the trail system.

https://i.imgur.com/jLbcR9R.jpg
.

LucasHartong 11-28-20 07:00 AM

Ride along the coast on the Giant Peloton Superlite. Bit chilly, but sun was out, so really enjoyed it.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...20048de645.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4de916c273.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c71c0d568f.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7dace965b7.jpg

Iamsecond 11-28-20 01:09 PM


Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs (Post 21807322)
Sunny and 70 here today! I had a small window between the roads drying out from last night’s rain and having to get to work in the kitchen, so took the Basso for a quick ride around town. Fu by about the jogger talk - I skipped the bike lane and rode in the middle of the car lane on Main St since there was no traffic. Later in the ride I had moved out of the bike lane to give a sidewalk jogger some space. As was looking down for a second, I guess double checking my gearing for the climb I was starting, when I brushed the jogger’s shoulder. He had moved into the bike lane without checking his 6. Happy Thanksgiving all!

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...82ed7d2f4.jpeg
The Pratt Gingko at the UVA Rotunda. Planted in 1860 and named after the first UVA groundskeeper.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1e862101c.jpeg
UVA football practice

Best part of this forum....seeing pics of all these sharp classic bikes!!! :thumb:

abshipp 11-28-20 01:35 PM

No pictures from my 50 mile ride yesterday, although I can report that the new 11 speed on my SLT continues to impress.

Today was a little hour and a half trying to spin the stiffness out of my legs. Chilly morning with a 28°F start and a 32°F finish

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2a02b0eab6.jpg

SurferRosa 11-28-20 01:48 PM


Originally Posted by smontanaro (Post 21808145)

The now iconic Marina City towers...

https://media.pitchfork.com/photos/5...0/7aa808cd.jpg

​​​​​​​:thumb:

daverup 11-28-20 02:55 PM

Today was a very unusual day in Upper Michigan (for late November). Sunny, very little wind, and a warmish 40 degrees.
We decided it was "Green Bike Day", my wife rode her Terry, I rode the Puch.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...18473d2772.jpg

thinktubes 11-28-20 05:04 PM


Originally Posted by SurferRosa (Post 21809607)
The now iconic Marina City towers...

https://media.pitchfork.com/photos/5...0/7aa808cd.jpg

:thumb:

I prefer this...

https://www.chicagotribune.com/resiz...AEMDOCNCWQ.gif

zukahn1 11-28-20 06:11 PM

Nice temps but still a lot of Snow. Took a round about ride to the Library .

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...17fbcebbc1.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6de9b23da3.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...05746e9d91.jpg

thinktubes 11-28-20 07:34 PM

Temp in the low 50s/mileage in the low 50s. North.

One of the many ravines that drain into Lake Michigan (visible in the distance). This ravine is lined with a U-shaped concrete channel to prevent erosion. Looks skatable, or at least very fun on a toboggan.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...4757cd04_k.jpg

A weird derelict "wishing well" on the side of the ravine. Curious...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...4ff92f1e_z.jpg

One of the best things about fall riding, is that you can see some of the fantastic houses set on wooded lots. Here's the Charles F. Glore house, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. It was up for sale over the summer. Must have sold because the sign is gone.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...963bd3dc_k.jpg

We're getting some interesting late day light as the shortest day of the year approaches. Hoping to get in a few more rides before the snow comes. November has been pretty nice overall.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...efed4be7_k.jpg


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:33 PM.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.