Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/)
-   -   Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved) (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/491452-whered-you-ride-today-new-improved.html)

Drillium Dude 09-19-21 10:14 PM


Originally Posted by etherhuffer (Post 22237452)
Not good, where on the trail is that?

MUP mile marker 20 at Bothell - about a mile east of Log Boom Park/Tracey Owen Station.

DD

thinktubes 09-20-21 08:42 AM


Originally Posted by JacobLee (Post 22237219)
Ahhh, nice to need fenders again!

I was hoping to get a peek at Mt. Hood to see if it caught any snow, but it was hiding out.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cf1945296.jpeg

My sister is visiting from Portland. She immediately ID'd the location.

nlerner 09-20-21 08:54 AM

Early this morning I only rode a couple of blocks, and that was to conduct the annual bicycle census in my town at my assigned spot. Yeah, I was the guy hanging out on the corner from 7:30-9 am with the clipboard and the old bike.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2505817db6.jpg
​​​​​​​

curbtender 09-20-21 09:40 AM


Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 22237844)
Early this morning I only rode a couple of blocks, and that was to conduct the annual bicycle census in my town at my assigned spot. Yeah, I was the guy hanging out on the corner from 7:30-9 am with the clipboard and the old bike.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2505817db6.jpg

What is this bike bike census you speak of?

obrentharris 09-20-21 09:48 AM


Originally Posted by non-fixie (Post 22235609)
Great picture. :)



That is a Bentley with a bit of a story: The 6 1/2 litre Bentley - YF9093

"It's only original once!". Fodder for purists. ;)

That big Bentley has gone through some serious body modification over the years. I think the current owner would do well to join C&V to learn about proper fender lines!
Brent

nlerner 09-20-21 09:54 AM


Originally Posted by curbtender (Post 22237896)
What is this bike bike census you speak of?


My town's Bicycle Advisory Committee (which I'm a member of) conducts an annual census of bike traffic during the morning commute. It's about 10 or so different locations. We get interesting data over time in terms of cycling/commuting trends, which we then use to advocate for particular policies, infrastructure improvements, etc.

daverup 09-20-21 01:55 PM

My Austro Daimler in front of an abandoned Iron ore loading dock on Lake Superior.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2bfb47dced.jpg

ascherer 09-20-21 03:06 PM

Saturday I logged 43 going from home up the Putnam/South Country trail to Elmsford. Not quite there yet, but I'm starting to feel like I'm getting my energy back post-Lyme.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...01e86fddbd.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d0639f1d1a.jpg

non-fixie 09-20-21 04:38 PM


Originally Posted by northbend (Post 22236621)
Wow! I am surprised you made that connection! Cool

Took about a second and a half, to be honest. I recognized it as a Bentley, and since they are generally well-documented typing the registration number in the search engine was the only thing I needed to do. ;)

zukahn1 09-20-21 04:42 PM

A short ride today on my Jeunet 620 which is now 50 years young to the Lrbrary for some vounter work. Haven't used the Jeunet in a year or so some recent Jeunet post her on the forums got me motivated to clean it up and take it for a ride.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7195a192c9.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...741e16ba7e.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e28e033ecc.jpg

Wildwood 09-20-21 07:48 PM

Glad to post this thread
 
16+ miles each way with 5 hours babysitting between rides. Great weather. Especially after we finally got some rain F/S/S.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9c105fa7d.jpeg
Not very friendly - but then not a bad spot to stop for a natural.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d7241d747.jpeg
Blue sky
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2fda1b4be.jpeg
Peace garden
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5ec42b687.jpeg
Glad to be riding knickers & knee socks. Long sleeve wool jersey.

SquireBlack 09-20-21 08:01 PM

Fauxroica
 
Saturday and Sunday, I joined the intrepid Tourica surviving few for fragments of the cancelled Eroica ride. Saturday we rode to Cayucas, up to the start of the Santa Rita climb, but then stayed on the paved Old Creek Road for a tough climb and descent that eventually brought us out onto highway 46. We then continued onto Santa Rosa Creek Road for some really steep rollers, culminating into a killer decent into Cambria. If you have ridden Eroica California, you know that descent its the way down from Cypress Summit.


https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...51d326587.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7556ab9d4.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6e4de2ec0.jpeg
Easy Peasy climb, right? gugie shows off his prowess.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ceb30f8ab.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...99eb9c299.jpeg
Dana makes it to the final summit, in 24 gear, after loosing his cookies.

Sunday, Bob Minsky and I rode the three climbs of La Via della Scalatore, but skipped the easy parts, since we had already ridden them on Saturday. We started where Old Creek Road meets Highway 46, headed down to the start of the Santa Rita Climb, and then followed the normal route, staring with Santa Rita.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e8b159e85.jpeg
Bob at the start of Santa Rita
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7259fa6bc.jpeg
Santa Rita summit

We grabbed what food we could:


https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...665b77f34.jpeg

After Kiler, where Peachy Canyon Rd meets Vineyard Drive, we were pleased to see a sandwich board advising us that Rangeland Wines had a pop-up burger bar in their parking lot, so Bob was able to refuel with a burger. Slim pickings for the vegetarian :-(, but they did supply water, Fanta, and clean toilets.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...068df0046.jpeg

Even after refuelling, Cypress was a grunt of a climb; we both ended up walking the final few hundred meters. But the view was glorious!


https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...af61ba24d.jpeg
Cypress Summit

From there, we rode the normal gravel descent, but when we joined the paved road, we headed uphill (east) to return to our car.

82km total, 1762m of climbing, and about 5 hours of great riding. I gather that it was raining in Portland :-)

rccardr 09-20-21 08:06 PM

Nice, Andrew. Where’s everybody else?

bironi 09-20-21 08:54 PM

I like the road kill pick.
What happens to the road just beyond the kill?
When I scroll the pic to the pic above it looks like a road runner cliff edge ahead.

ExPatTyke 09-21-21 06:43 AM

Got out for a few miles on Sunday on the AO8. A bit of mixed fortunes, I went out across the Moors and over the nature reserves near Glastonbury, stopped for a drink at a new pop up cafe (basically a horse box with a kettle and a few picnic chairs, but the tea was good, the cake was excellent), then made my way through Glasto' and over into Wells. Wells was busy, but I stopped to see the cathedral clock striking, then headed on towards Wedmore.

And that's where the fun happened. I heard a vehicle coming up behind, and being in a narrow lane I slowed down as I was approaching a pull in where I could stop safely. A few seconds later I found myself flat on the deck, struggling to release from the pedals and get up again, while watching the aforementioned vehicle disappear into the distance. I got up after a few seconds, and made sure I had two of everything still attached and unbroken. I was very lucky - total damage was one torn glove, one bruised knee, torn bar tape, and a scuffed brake lever hood. The driver obviously couldn't wait for me to stop, tried to squeeze past, and caught my saddle bag.

Fortunately my camera was on and wasn't damaged, and on returning home I found I had everything on film (well, on microSD card, but that doesn't sound so good, does it?). Video's now been handed to the local police force, and the owner of the vehicle will be getting a knock on the door in the next few days - apparently he's looking at a minimum of two offences including Dangerous Driving and Leaving the Scene.

I'd just about recovered when I got home, and my wife had a cold G&T ready - another positive thing about cycling technology is Strava Beacon, guaranteed cold or hot drink waiting at your destination. I mentioned this to a workmate a while back though, his reaction was something along the lines of "You mean you pay money to let your wife know where you are?!"

In summary a nice ride, and vintage bikes are wonderful, especially when teamed with modern technology.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...eb106681f5.jpg
Wells Cathedral Green

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...78d08f3714.jpg
Chain Gateway, Wells. It connects Vicars Close to the Cathedral so that clerical staff could get from home to the Cathedral without getting rained on.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f2179a51e0.jpg
Moat and walls around the Bishop's Palace, Wells.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6214cf0671.jpg
Milestone between Wells and Glastonbury.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6182dda5ff.jpg
Rhyne beside the cycle path out of Glastonbury; Glastonbury Tor is in the distance.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...08c17b180d.jpg
Cycle path headed towards Glastonbury. This path is built on the trackbed of what was the Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d4f92a0836.png
That's a bit close!

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...100226b9e2.png
Oh **** It was more than close.

SquireBlack 09-21-21 08:28 AM

I was just telling Bob on Sunday that British drivers are generally more skilled than their American counterparts. I guess not all Britishdrivers ☹️

ExPatTyke 09-21-21 08:38 AM


Originally Posted by SquireBlack (Post 22239511)
I was just telling Bob on Sunday that British drivers are generally more skilled than their American counterparts. I guess not all Britishdrivers ☹️

Unfortunately they definitely are not. The standard of driving in recent years has also been worsened by a series of frothing anti-cyclist articles in the British gutter press raising hatred towards cyclists.

dicktill 09-21-21 09:01 AM


Originally Posted by ExPatTyke (Post 22239358)
<snip>

And that's where the fun happened. I heard a vehicle coming up behind, and being in a narrow lane I slowed down as I was approaching a pull in where I could stop safely. A few seconds later I found myself flat on the deck, struggling to release from the pedals and get up again, while watching the aforementioned vehicle disappear into the distance. I got up after a few seconds, and made sure I had two of everything still attached and unbroken. I was very lucky - total damage was one torn glove, one bruised knee, torn bar tape, and a scuffed brake lever hood. The driver obviously couldn't wait for me to stop, tried to squeeze past, and caught my saddle bag.

Fortunately my camera was on and wasn't damaged, and on returning home I found I had everything on film (well, on microSD card, but that doesn't sound so good, does it?). Video's now been handed to the local police force, and the owner of the vehicle will be getting a knock on the door in the next few days - apparently he's looking at a minimum of two offences including Dangerous Driving and Leaving the Scene.

I'd just about recovered when I got home, and my wife had a cold G&T ready - another positive thing about cycling technology is Strava Beacon, guaranteed cold or hot drink waiting at your destination. I mentioned this to a workmate a while back though, his reaction was something along the lines of "You mean you pay money to let your wife know where you are?!"

In summary a nice ride, and vintage bikes are wonderful, especially when teamed with modern technology.

<snip>

That's a bit close!

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...100226b9e2.png
Oh **** It was more than close.

Wow, glad it wasn't too bad! What camera are you using?

ExPatTyke 09-21-21 09:13 AM


Originally Posted by dicktill (Post 22239570)
Wow, glad it wasn't too bad! What camera are you using?

Thank you - me too :). The camera's a cheap and cheerful bullet cam that cost me less than 50. It's sold in the UK by Chilli Tech, but it's almost certainly a Chinese clone that's available elsewhere under a different label. I got my money's worth out of it on Sunday!

djkashuba 09-21-21 03:18 PM

Short ride on a quiet backroad. Dialing in the saddle angle.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...de426375_b.jpg
Sonoma road. by djk762, on Flickr

Prowler 09-21-21 06:16 PM

Today was the one I've been training for and it all came together. "Ride your age" day. As my birthday is in late December, I usually pick a day in the fall when conditions are good and I'm in the best shape of the year. Today was that day. I'll be 70 by New Years so I rode that plus a couple for good measure.


https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a642e43d35.jpg
First stop was in Valley Forge Park to visit Baron Frederick Von Stuben. I've wondered if, maybe after dark, after standing at attention in the sun all day, does ole Frederick Von climb down off his pedestal and go over to catch a few winks on those nice benches. I would, ya.


https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9ffc42ed83.jpg
Lunch stop. 46 miles so far. Perfect weather. Stopped at the memorial to K9 Officer Bradley Fox, E/OW September 2012. He was chasing a bad guy along those rail tracks when his dog took a bullet. At the next bullet Officer Fox ran out of luck and ran out of road. Husband, father, combat veteran Marine, Police officer in Plymouth Township. A good place to rest and to contemplate. Contemplate choices made and consequences, things that would happen and would never happen. I stop here on numerous other rides too. RIP Officer Fox.......and Dad........and Mom....... and Grandpa. Heros one and all.


https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f2069fc8c5.jpg
Final stop, on the Schuylkill River Trail, by the quiet river. 6 miles to go to the car. Another good place to stop and contemplate, to be grateful for things. Grateful that....

....I'm healthy enough to do things like this. Grateful that I have access to beautiful places like this and grateful that I have the time.
....that I don't have to take half a dozen pain pills three times a day.
.....that I don't even know what an A1C is let alone have one thats too high
.....that my home has not burned to the ground nor been flooded to the rafters
....that I don't need and E-bike. That if I get a flat tire I don't have to call a wrecker. I can fix it right beside the trail, sitting in the grass like jimmuller does (well I'm maybe not that flexible)
....that I don't need a boom box on my handlebars, with the bass turned up all the way
.....that I don't need sneakers and sunglasses that cost more than my bicycle
.....that I can still taste fine food and still see beautiful things and sights and I can still hear great music
....that I have 11 bicycles that each bring pleasure and, combined, don't cost as much as some sneakers and sunglasses
....that my parents made good choices and I've made a few good choices and now have a very fine family.

Home now and getting achy. Swilling plenty of water and electrolytes. And diet tonic water for desert. You know next year's ride could be even longer, eh?

curbtender 09-21-21 07:01 PM


Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 22240453)
Today was the one I've been training for and it all came together. "Ride your age" day. As my birthday is in late December, I usually pick a day in the fall when conditions are good and I'm in the best shape of the year. Today was that day. I'll be 70 by New Years so I rode that plus a couple for good measure.


https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a642e43d35.jpg

Happy birthday ride to you! What's that rack you have on there?

Prowler 09-21-21 07:17 PM


Originally Posted by curbtender (Post 22240501)
Happy birthday ride to you! What's that rack you have on there?

Thank you. The rack is one I fabricated a few years ago. Bit of cherry, bit of Sitka spruce a bit of birch dowel. Couple of plastic fittings from a scrap patio umbrella. An old shoe lace. VERY light and good enough to carry a layer or two as the day warms.

JacobLee 09-21-21 07:38 PM


Originally Posted by thinktubes (Post 22237821)
My sister is visiting from Portland. She immediately ID'd the location.

Nice! Is she a cyclist?

JacobLee 09-21-21 08:31 PM

Theres that mountain with some snow on it! Much better.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4d8044518.jpeg

I had to return some small stuff at a hardware store across town, so I figured Id knock off early and make it a bike ride. Purdy day in Portland.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...38d5c26c6.jpeg


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:45 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.