Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/)
-   -   Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved) (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/491452-whered-you-ride-today-new-improved.html)

obrentharris 10-08-22 03:51 PM


Originally Posted by LucasHartong (Post 22671776)

Surprise!
A newer building built behind the facade of an older one?
Brent

jamesdak 10-08-22 06:07 PM


Originally Posted by LucasHartong (Post 22671776)
Ostend coast, Belgium.

The memories, I had some good times there in the 80's while stationed in Germany. We used to go there for training exercises. The people were great. My most vivid memory was standing on a tall dune on the beach as high winds moved in off the water. I could feel and taste the salt mist and I remember leaning way out over the dune/cliff with only the wind keeping me from falling.

Also those trips made me appreciate army chow. We ate with the Belgium troops while there and I swear what they said was chicken was really seagulls or something else that was all bone, LOL!

jamesdak 10-08-22 06:17 PM

Not a good one today. Lungs burning and HR up from the start and just felt sick/weak/aching the whole ride, weird. Super beautiful out though. I only stopped for a few pictures as I just wanted the ride to be over. I took out the Coppi again today and probably set my slowest pace ever on it.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a9a54f56e2.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5285175f33.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b3ad171d23.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8863c7e80c.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e5c9aac0b6.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fadbb55779.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...312f9b67fa.jpg

northbend 10-08-22 07:57 PM

Smokey afternoon ride around the upper and lower valley.

Contrasting what the falls look like now
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...9ec02a95_h.jpgSnoqualmie Falls by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

And what they looked like last winter
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...0527a6cf_h.jpgFirst ride of 2022 2 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

I rode up to Snoqualmie Ridge and took a series of fun trails to reach the lower valley

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...afa3f0e4_h.jpgWhittaker Trail by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

The lower valley is at it’s peak right now. The Corn is high, and the flowers abundant. Easy pace back home...no need to push it when it's smokey.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...d4725089_h.jpgLower Valley view by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

DQRider 10-08-22 11:45 PM

Twin Cities Tweed Ride 2022
 
We had a decent turnout for the Tweed Ride this year. I believe the last time the Minnesota Hysterical Society put one of these on was 2014 - and I wasn't there for it, so I've really nothing to compare it to.

https://i.imgur.com/S2cMgJW.png

Let's put it this way... they stopped at museums, instead of pubs, like a proper tweed ride should. So, being the sort of subversive creature I am, I quickly organized a Hooligan Contingent. When the group stopped to gawp at old stuff, we sortied out to find the local libation stations. No photos were taken of these troops or their activities; for security reasons, don'tcha know.

The ride began at the James Hill House, on Summit Avenue, in Saint Paul:

https://i.imgur.com/XyY5hnR.png

This place is so gi-normous, I could not fit the whole house into one frame, even with a 24mm lens, while standing within the grounds!

https://i.imgur.com/VzwofYJ.png

There were some fairly eclectic velocipedes lurking about the place. This one looked like it was hiding:

https://i.imgur.com/ngurnEa.pngHey, check out that chainring! That looks like drillium, dude! ;)

This one had a "Wards Hawthorne" headbadge on it:

https://i.imgur.com/kag3d4v.png

I didn't see these bikes on the ride, but then, there were a lot of riders behind us HC types.

Someone offered to shoot me posing with my bike... why not?

https://i.imgur.com/9MjoSSg.png

Fall Colors have not yet peaked here in the Twin Cities, so I didn't shoot nearly as many photos as I expected to. But rest assured, those will be coming... soon.
*
*
*

Drillium Dude 10-09-22 01:12 PM


Originally Posted by jamesdak (Post 22672823)

Not a good one today. Lungs burning and HR up from the start and just felt sick/weak/aching the whole ride...

It happens from time to time, huh? Had a couple rides and hikes here in AZ like that. Gettin' old sucks :)

Hope the next ride finds you back to your normal rhythm!

DD

cooperryder 10-09-22 02:29 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bb43f50cf5.jpg
It seems more and more people in the Dallas area decorate for Halloween.

This large home had lots of it.
Pic did not capture all of it.

I'm on my CB Zip today.
Got in 40 miles in pleasant temps.

Ged117 10-09-22 04:28 PM

Headed out again today for Saturday activities around town with my wife and while stopped for a coffee I got this shot.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...24b8bf84_h.jpgPXL_20221009_175606961.MP

Drillium Dude 10-09-22 05:50 PM


Originally Posted by Ged117 (Post 22673610)

Headed out again today for Saturday activities around town with my wife and while stopped for a coffee I got this shot.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...24b8bf84_h.jpgPXL_20221009_175606961.MP

Musta been some good coffee...

DD

JacobLee 10-09-22 07:08 PM

Another ramble through Portland's West Hills, this time guided by a typewritten report found at an estate sale yesterday on Council Crest. It was a very readable history of the neighborhood surrounding the Zoo and Washington Park.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9edf48301.jpeg

It's one of those areas that was bisected by a major highway in the 60's? and so is sort of an interesting mish-mash of dead-ends and abandoned sidewalks. I've always had an obsession with abandoned roads.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...912c49e22.jpeg

A bit hot and smokey, but not too bad. I wound around and found a few cool bits. Here's a Benson Bubbler in the curve of a highway on-ramp. It was probably located in a more user-friendly area originally!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b72c1bce2.jpeg

Another detour down a dead end led me to this gem. The cedars are really struggling with the new climate, but I'm rooting for this one.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6b87b13ff.jpeg

Edit: I tried to link to a song I recorded about old highways, but the link caused all sorts of mayhem. If you want extra credit, google The Old Highway by the Heavy Sweaters.

JJScaliger 10-09-22 07:13 PM

I rode my Bates to the ocean state oyster fest yesterday. I've been riding fixed for the last couple of years. Commuting 10 miles a day 80ish days a year. I'm a fair weather friend. My ultimate goal is to switch to 3 speed but I haven't reached that point yet.

My buddy met me before and he has a cool Bridgestone. We hung out on the pedestrian Bridge in providence before going to the fest. Weather was classic early fall new england.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0f98fcb79a.jpg
Bates
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f30502646e.jpg
Bridgestone track
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fe47623c9b.jpg
Gondola

Kilroy1988 10-09-22 07:16 PM

Howdy!

This one was actually last weekend and I meant to post about it sooner... I rode my 1979 Mercian Campionissimo equipped with Suntour Cyclone, SR and Weinmann components in the Sacramento Century on Saturday, October 1. I found a riding partner in the form of a retired fellow on a Colnago CLX who I noticed blasting '80s rock out of a little speaker in the back of his jersey as we left the city, and we managed a respectable 16.5 mph pace for the 101-mile route. I've never ridden so far with only 40 minutes of accumulated breaks, so it was quite a ride for me! The icing on the cake was that in the sea of fancy carbon fiber bikes the Mercian stood out like a jewel and it received dozens of compliments from other riders throughout the day. Cheers!

-Gregory


https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e049b00363.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f140ad4dcf.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...54521663fd.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f12ca679cc.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...817be14779.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...98677d40a4.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2720648807.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...337d4f535e.jpg

thinktubes 10-09-22 07:40 PM


Originally Posted by JacobLee (Post 22673763)
Another ramble through Portland's West Hills, this time guided by a typewritten report found at an estate sale yesterday on Council Crest. It was a very readable history of the neighborhood surrounding the Zoo and Washington Park.


Im guessing you might be aware of these, but if not, they offer excellent walking tours of Portland. I always do a few when I visit my sister in PDX.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...4,203,200_.jpg

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...4,203,200_.jpg

zookster 10-09-22 08:26 PM

Views and Boos
 
Each Sunday Le Tour De Ham (Birmingham, AL) does a Views and Brews ride, checking out murals on the ride and a brew (if so inclined) after the ride. This month the ride leader has designated the rides as "Views and Boos", and will visit several historic cemeteries in the Birmingham area each Sunday. Today's ride was to the Fraternal Cemetery (est 1881) in Pratt City, AL. Pratt City was once a hotbed of mining activity. Many of those interred in this cemetery are from that era. There are 2 other cemeteries joined to this one, Greenwood (1886) and Foley (unknown date). As you can see, the cemeteries are badly neglected. Ongoing once a month cleanup efforts have apparently stalled out. There are some pictures in this article with history of the cemeteries. https://www.al.com/living/2016/08/se...-xaAdBFFEJHzgc


https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...120b80e974.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a1087925c0.jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1fae46793b.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c22762d52f.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...34672da287.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c4a74183ca.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...02b4dbc3f9.jpg

Greenwood was so overgrown it was hard to spot the gate through all the growth, it's pretty much inaccessible now.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...aca6572c04.jpg

The road runs through the middle of one of the cemeteries, with headstones/graves at the edge of the road on both sides.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b284b23950.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...16bf49440a.jpg

JacobLee 10-09-22 08:58 PM


Originally Posted by Kilroy1988 (Post 22673767)
Howdy!

This one was actually last weekend and I meant to post about it sooner... I rode my 1979 Mercian Campionissimo equipped with Suntour Cyclone, SR and Weinmann components in the Sacramento Century on Saturday, October 1. I found a riding partner in the form of a retired fellow on a Colnago CLX who I noticed blasting '80s rock out of a little speaker in the back of his jersey as we left the city, and we managed a respectable 16.5 mph pace for the 101-mile route. I've never ridden so far with only 40 minutes of accumulated breaks, so it was quite a ride for me! The icing on the cake was that in the sea of fancy carbon fiber bikes the Mercian stood out like a jewel and it received dozens of compliments from other riders throughout the day. Cheers!

-Gregory

Aw man, I miss the Delta!

JacobLee 10-09-22 08:59 PM


Originally Posted by thinktubes (Post 22673793)
Im guessing you might be aware of these, but if not, they offer excellent walking tours of Portland. I always do a few when I visit my sister in PDX.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...4,203,200_.jpg

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...4,203,200_.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion! I was saying to my wife, it's great to explore this stuff on a bike, but you can't dig around like you would on foot, and I'm too lazy to do any real research, so a walking tour would be ideal.

Wildwood 10-09-22 09:04 PM

Always thankful to post this thread
 
Aug-tober continues.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b79c89ae0.jpeg
Right side of the tracks
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0795d90c3.jpeg
Nice boat going into.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4eb3dbf56.jpeg
..lake Samammish
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...08da8b6a5.jpeg
Milk delivery on Front Street. Drink Darigold. Made in America
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a30921a0f.jpeg
A graceful landing
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...15897b73a.jpeg
Halloween
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...31c8ef8ee.jpeg
Made to my endurance order.

scozim 10-09-22 09:28 PM

Nice 48 mile ride today. Longest ride in a couple of years due to a myriad of reasons. The Spectrum is such a nice ride, even if a tad too tall. Responsive, light and smooth. And, my dad's old Spectrum jersey actually fits.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...255de0849a.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...86235aeac0.jpg

LucasHartong 10-10-22 04:50 AM


Originally Posted by obrentharris (Post 22672689)
Surprise!
A newer building built behind the facade of an older one?
Brent

They probably built a new floor on top of the older building... space is very costly there.

northbend 10-10-22 09:42 AM

Bob Freeman gathered together a bunch of us locals for a ride with visiting cyclist Jim Townsend (CR list member) out in the Middle Fork Valley on Sunday.
The theme for the day was to ride bikes made by frame builder Kevin Sayles since Jim had brought his beautiful new Sayles made from Reynolds 753.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...8179d70e_k.jpgJim Townsend, his beautiful 753 bike and Russian Butte in the background by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Here is the lineup of bikes crafted by Sayles taken before the ride.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...14f819c3_k.jpgAll built by Kevin Sayles by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Kevin Sayles has been in the business since the 70’s - longer than anyone currently building in the UK.

As we were riding and admiring each others bikes I wondered if Kevin realizes how many 1000’s of people he’s made happy through his work. If it were me, I’d find that truth to be very satisfying.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...df5e9751_k.jpgJim's by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...1a519635_k.jpgAlex's by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...af297277_k.jpgMine by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...fd9fb15f_k.jpgScott's by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...b9cadcc7_k.jpgBob's by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...b47b2b9a_k.jpgDeanna's by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

bironi 10-10-22 02:19 PM


Originally Posted by JJScaliger (Post 22673766)
I rode my Bates to the ocean state oyster fest yesterday. I've been riding fixed for the last couple of years. Commuting 10 miles a day 80ish days a year. I'm a fair weather friend. My ultimate goal is to switch to 3 speed but I haven't reached that point yet.

My buddy met me before and he has a cool Bridgestone. We hung out on the pedestrian Bridge in providence before going to the fest. Weather was classic early fall new england.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0f98fcb79a.jpg
Bates
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f30502646e.jpg
Bridgestone track
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fe47623c9b.jpg
Gondola

I like your buddy's Bridgestone!

bironi 10-10-22 02:23 PM


Originally Posted by northbend (Post 22674135)
Bob Freeman gathered together a bunch of us locals for a ride with visiting cyclist Jim Townsend (CR list member) out in the Middle Fork Valley on Sunday.
The theme for the day was to ride bikes made by frame builder Kevin Sayles since Jim had brought his beautiful new Sayles made from Reynolds 753.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...8179d70e_k.jpgJim Townsend, his beautiful 753 bike and Russian Butte in the background by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Here is the lineup of bikes crafted by Sayles taken before the ride.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...14f819c3_k.jpgAll built by Kevin Sayles by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Kevin Sayles has been in the business since the 70s - longer than anyone currently building in the UK.

As we were riding and admiring each others bikes I wondered if Kevin realizes how many 1000s of people hes made happy through his work. If it were me, Id find that truth to be very satisfying.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...df5e9751_k.jpgJim's by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...1a519635_k.jpgAlex's by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...af297277_k.jpgMine by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...fd9fb15f_k.jpgScott's by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...b9cadcc7_k.jpgBob's by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...b47b2b9a_k.jpgDeanna's by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Lot of perty bikes for a ride.
Must be hard to keep em on the rode while staring at the bike to either side!

zukahn1 10-10-22 03:54 PM

Nice weather yesterday took the Nishiki SS on a ride to Alama the bike path about 20 miles round trip.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...75694f18dc.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...af15171c70.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5f0ea2d098.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d3195c3019.jpg

DQRider 10-10-22 04:33 PM


Originally Posted by northbend (Post 22674135)
Bob Freeman gathered together a bunch of us locals for a ride with visiting cyclist Jim Townsend (CR list member) out in the Middle Fork Valley on Sunday.
The theme for the day was to ride bikes made by frame builder Kevin Sayles since Jim had brought his beautiful new Sayles made from Reynolds 753.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...8179d70e_k.jpgJim Townsend, his beautiful 753 bike and Russian Butte in the background by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Here is the lineup of bikes crafted by Sayles taken before the ride.

All built by Kevin Sayles by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Kevin Sayles has been in the business since the 70s - longer than anyone currently building in the UK.

As we were riding and admiring each others bikes I wondered if Kevin realizes how many 1000s of people hes made happy through his work. If it were me, Id find that truth to be very satisfying.

Jim's by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Alex's by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Mine by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Scott's by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Bob's by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Deanna's by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Somebody please tell the admins that we need a "mind blown" GIF for the toolbar. I mean... wow.
*
*
*

jamesdak 10-10-22 05:30 PM

Still feeling the effect of the cold but too nice of a day not to ride. So I took the ol Kuwahara back out again now that I've sorted it out more. Didn't worry about pace or anything, just cruising along for what wound up being 36 miles.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ae05b5555c.jpg
Colors should start popping on the valley floor soon
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0aa4d7e3d6.jpg
Hotel, observatory, coffee shop
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1a3fae7cfe.jpg
Winter's Grove
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0c7e365e84.jpg
Winter's Grove
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4656f69bf4.jpg
Winter's Grove
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...61a92493e3.jpg
Winter's Grove
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8c5fbb831b.jpg
Winter's Grove
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...289abb844a.jpg
Huntsville
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b685290d02.jpg
That's a lot of pumpkins!
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...446cb33f06.jpg
Need the yellows to start showing to contrast all the reds.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:16 AM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.