Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Old 12-21-08, 09:25 AM
  #226  
Senior Member
 
Elad63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Enola, PA
Posts: 754

Bikes: Too many to count. Changes on a frequent basis.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found this bike as a bare frame at our local CO-OP up a couple days ago and built it up last night, can not find any info about it anywhere. Sorry crappy camera pics. It's a 48 frame, but fits me great. At first I thought it was crossbike, but it's marked as a tourer. Anyone have any info on it. I did the usual Google search, nothing. Anyways it will be my new tourer/commuter/crossbike. Also posted in Touring, Cyclocross and Commuting.










Elad63 is offline  
Old 12-21-08, 10:22 AM
  #227  
Forum Moderator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 20,841

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista Vitus 979 Duralinox

Liked 6,906 Times in 3,944 Posts
Bikepedia has 3 entries for Scott Seattle. 1994-95-96. They list it as a hybrid.

https://www.bikepedia.com/Search.aspx?Q=scott+seattle
__________________












cb400bill is offline  
Old 12-21-08, 10:30 AM
  #228  
Senior Member
 
Elad63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Enola, PA
Posts: 754

Bikes: Too many to count. Changes on a frequent basis.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, it's a start.
Elad63 is offline  
Old 12-21-08, 10:55 AM
  #229  
Arsehole
 
PlatyPius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,280
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gordo Grande
Thanks for posting this. I had known about this, but had forgotten it. I live in So Cal, so I'll start watching.
I see an Iverson cruiser in Indy, but I know nothing about Iverson. And it's a women's. Bidding on a couple of cool old cameras, though.
PlatyPius is offline  
Old 12-21-08, 04:44 PM
  #230  
Senior Member
 
Elad63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Enola, PA
Posts: 754

Bikes: Too many to count. Changes on a frequent basis.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
deleted pics by accident





Elad63 is offline  
Old 12-21-08, 06:07 PM
  #231  
Senior Member
 
cycleheimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York Metro Area
Posts: 3,872

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Liked 226 Times in 129 Posts
$6 Nishiki? Check out shopgoodwill.com
cycleheimer is offline  
Old 12-21-08, 06:20 PM
  #232  
Señor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hardy, VA
Posts: 17,986

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Liked 1,142 Times in 667 Posts
If you commute on that, it will be a lot harder to pick up bikes you see along the way.

Looks like a diamond in the rough.
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline  
Old 12-21-08, 07:02 PM
  #233  
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berea, Kentucky
Posts: 478

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hard Rock

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone live near Omaha, NE? That is where the 6 dollar Nishiki is. I would so buy it if someone could pick it up for me....
metalchef87 is offline  
Old 12-21-08, 07:03 PM
  #234  
Senior Member
 
Elad63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Enola, PA
Posts: 754

Bikes: Too many to count. Changes on a frequent basis.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only have a short commute to the YMCA about 1 1/2 from home, but be assured when I drive to the school bus, I still will find the curb side treasures. The Scott actually came from Pedal Pushers, they didn't have any info on the bike either. They donated over 50 bikes, and another LBS around Hershey donated over 130 bikes last week alone.

We may be losing our location for the CO-OP, the building inspectors say the building is unsafe. We have over 600 bikes right now, but we will be donating 200 to Pedals for Progress on Christmas Eve. Want to help load bikes.....
Elad63 is offline  
Old 12-21-08, 07:05 PM
  #235  
Señor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hardy, VA
Posts: 17,986

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Liked 1,142 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Elad63
I only have a short commute to the YMCA about 1 1/2 from home, but be assured when I drive to the school bus, I still will find the curb side treasures. The Scott actually came from Pedal Pushers, they didn't have any info on the bike either. They donated over 50 bikes, and another LBS around Hershey donated over 130 bikes last week alone.

We may be losing our location for the CO-OP, the building inspectors say the building is unsafe. We have over 600 bikes right now, but we will be donating 200 to Pedals for Progress on Christmas Eve. Want to help load bikes.....
I might be able to. Time and location would be useful info.
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline  
Old 12-22-08, 06:43 AM
  #236  
Senior Member
 
Glennfordx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,959

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Liked 138 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer
$6 Nishiki? Check out shopgoodwill.com
Man I spent most of the day(working around the house) at the Goodwill.com site yesterday when someone posted a link,I was never there before the only reason I stopped looking at stuff is their server was having problems,I think I got to be careful before clicking on some of the links you guys put up LOL
Glennfordx4 is offline  
Old 12-22-08, 12:03 PM
  #237  
CruiserManiac
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Monterey, NorCal
Posts: 3

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Fiesta 24", 1975 Schwinn Breeze (26"), 1986 Regal Mountainbike (26")

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saved this '75 Schwinn Breeze from almost certain recycling.

It had been chained to a post on the bikepath near my house, without a front wheel for the past month, and I finally sprang into action when I found that someone had snagged the original 3spd rear wheel and hub. I talked to a city police officer and he said I would be doing the city a favor by removing it from the path. I did just that.

I put the rims on it from one of my other bikes, but the tires are too large. I have new ones Ive yet to put on the rims. Maybe ill do that today then go for a ride!
MaverickSchwinn is offline  
Old 12-22-08, 12:07 PM
  #238  
Steel Member
 
fiataccompli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,427

Bikes: N + 1

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
looks like bikes are only from certain locations & they don't ship. am I missing something there?
fiataccompli is offline  
Old 12-22-08, 05:08 PM
  #239  
Fast Old Guy
 
Straightblock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Central California
Posts: 639
Liked 672 Times in 177 Posts
One of my best & oldest friends/riding buddies gave me a Nuovo Record/Mavic MA40 wheelset that was gathering dust in his garage. Just the thing for my Motobecane Grand Touring that I've upgraded to mostly Nuovo Record.

The same friend introduced me to my wife 23 years ago. She's a catch, too.
Straightblock is offline  
Old 12-22-08, 05:23 PM
  #240  
Senior Member
 
cycleheimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York Metro Area
Posts: 3,872

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Liked 226 Times in 129 Posts
Straightblock..."to good friends"...
cycleheimer is offline  
Old 12-22-08, 05:25 PM
  #241  
Senior Member
 
Gordo Grande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Culver City, Ca.
Posts: 189
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I scored!

Thanks to you folks, I have now taken up the pastime of lurking around some L.A. thrift shops. I finally found a good one near my job that isn’t affiliated with Goodwill or Salvation Army. I’ve been there three times, and each time they’ve had bikes. The first time there were a couple of little kids bikes, and the third time they had a full size mountain bike….although it was a Huffy, so I passed.

On the second trip, however, I scored. Got this old Slocum wind trainer for ten bucks! I know it’s missing an important piece, that holds the bottom bracket in place. I’m hoping, though, that I can either find something online or fabricate something that can do the job.

I had one of these wind trainers when they first came out, and they were considered some of the best at the time. I’ve been kicking myself for about fifteen years for selling the damn thing.

I hope this works out.







Gordo Grande is offline  
Old 12-22-08, 09:36 PM
  #242  
Junior Member
 
johnbaldwin207's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Portland, ME
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wd-40?!

WD-40 is a corrosive degreaser... not recommended for bike parts. If you want to clean a really gummed up derailleur dissect the whole mechanism over a rag. I use mineral spirits (especially with rough condition cassettes and freewheels) as cheaper alternative to bike specific degreasers. Cheaper is better because you'll usually employ a lot of product when cleaning truly neglected bike parts. Pour some in a mug and get at the derailleur (especially the jockies) with a toothbrush. Mineral spirits are gentle and cut through all manner of caked-on grease.
johnbaldwin207 is offline  
Old 12-23-08, 02:45 AM
  #243  
Senior Member
 
DavidW56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 1,226
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fiataccompli
looks like bikes are only from certain locations & they don't ship. am I missing something there?
No, I don't believe you are missing anything. I've noticed it, too -- most bikes are offered by the Nebraska, Indianapolis, and Santa Ana locations. My guess is that those stores have the additional staff to handle frequent online auctions, or perhaps there is only the one Goodwill store for a large region, or perhaps those Goodwill organizations promote bicycle donation. And they probably don't ship because the the shippers demand a premium for oversize or awkward-to-pack items like bikes.
DavidW56 is offline  
Old 12-23-08, 11:20 PM
  #244  
Señor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hardy, VA
Posts: 17,986

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Liked 1,142 Times in 667 Posts
I'll be taking/posting pictures tomorrow or Christmas.

Some background here... I offered to help Elad63 pack up a bunch of bicycles that are stored in a Harrisburg co-op location tomorrow, but the pack-up got postponed due to the weather. Anyhow, as I was driving back from Secaucus, NJ, my cell phone rings, and it's Elad63 who asks me - Why don't you stop by anyway, and I can show you this place? It's 3:30. I have 20 miles of New Jersey left, and he tells me he has to be somewhere at 6:00. I foolishly suggest I can meet him there at 5:15. I'll spare the details, but I get there about 5:21, and he takes me into this large basement.

He said there were 600 bikes in there, and I didn't bother to try to count them all, but I have no reason to doubt him. Before you get all excited, I'd have to say about 85% of them are kids bikes, big box MTBs and such. The other 15% - nothing in there anyone would get rich selling. Probably the nicest frame in there was a Specialized MTB that I actually recognized as having once been a friend of mines' from the majorly torked fork, so you can tuck your tongues back into your mouths.

He had mentioned something about a couple mixtes and Raleighs, and I was hoping there's be a Marathon - like the one I found and passed on to Darwin, or the other one that jgedwa got to with the cash to grab before me. I figured something like that would be nicer than the yellow Vista that sits in my shed waiting for that one day when my wife can't fight me off any longer and agrees to try to learn how to ride a bicycle. Well, there are a few mixtes - a Fuji, a couple Raleighs and a Peugeot - but all with the heavier tubing.

Well back with the other older bicycles (the kind I have been assured the people who come there have zero interest in), I see this really funky ladies bicycle with a triple plane fork crown, skip tooth sprockets front and rear, a rack, streamers and coaster brake. Almost no rust (just some light hints on non-chromed wheels), and a really great Mesinger saddle with dimensions that would put some dinner plates to shame. The head badge is kind of faint, but we can make out Overland.

Anyhow, like I said, no pictures tonight, but here's a copy of a picture from an eBay auction where someone sold a bunch of old head badges. I'm glad I found this, because the one on this bicycle is so faded, I don't think I would have ever made out the colors.



btw - Elad63 - I have a leftover Trek 800 MTB frame to donate - and a bunch of cantilever brake parts. It will help clear out my shop space, and hopefully put a couple more decent bikes back into circulation.
__________________
In search of what to search for.

Last edited by USAZorro; 12-23-08 at 11:24 PM. Reason: fix typos
USAZorro is offline  
Old 12-24-08, 12:17 AM
  #245  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sounds like my kind of bike,please post pictures! I'm the odd duck here, not much into road bikes.......I like the balloon tire cruisers and the 60's/70s three speeds, but to each his own
neil thiessen is offline  
Old 12-24-08, 12:24 AM
  #246  
Arsehole
 
PlatyPius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,280
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DavidW56
No, I don't believe you are missing anything. I've noticed it, too -- most bikes are offered by the Nebraska, Indianapolis, and Santa Ana locations. My guess is that those stores have the additional staff to handle frequent online auctions, or perhaps there is only the one Goodwill store for a large region, or perhaps those Goodwill organizations promote bicycle donation. And they probably don't ship because the the shippers demand a premium for oversize or awkward-to-pack items like bikes.
Probably partly because of the shipping cost, but mainly - I would guess - because of the lack of qualified people to properly pack a bike. I'm hoping there are some decent ones from Indy sometime soon. It's only about an hour away from me. That said, if the "right" bike showed up in Nebraska and I won it, I'd be taking a road trip. lol
PlatyPius is offline  
Old 12-24-08, 12:37 AM
  #247  
Senior Member
 
DavidW56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 1,226
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Greencastle?? I just noticed you're from Greencastle. Only tonight I first heard of Greencastle because my son was stuck in traffic on I-70 due to closures due to snow, and I was helping him look for exits and motels. It took him five hours -- no exaggeration -- to make it from around the Illinois line to Plainfield. He called from that stretch of nothing between exit 23 and exit 37, and I was looking for hotels in Cloverdale and possibly Greencastle. Nothing. All full. In fact, he said everyone on the freeway was exiting to Cloverdale, and the pavement was a skating rink, so he got right back on the freeway. Finally, at midnight, he called to say he got one of the last rooms in the last hotel available, the Cambria Inn. It was so icy he felt he should walk across the road to the Burger King rather than drive.

He is in the Army and has been driving home for Christmas from Fort Hood, Texas since Monday morning.
DavidW56 is offline  
Old 12-24-08, 01:45 AM
  #248  
Arsehole
 
PlatyPius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,280
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DavidW56
Greencastle?? I just noticed you're from Greencastle. Only tonight I first heard of Greencastle because my son was stuck in traffic on I-70 due to closures due to snow, and I was helping him look for exits and motels. It took him five hours -- no exaggeration -- to make it from around the Illinois line to Plainfield. He called from that stretch of nothing between exit 23 and exit 37, and I was looking for hotels in Cloverdale and possibly Greencastle. Nothing. All full. In fact, he said everyone on the freeway was exiting to Cloverdale, and the pavement was a skating rink, so he got right back on the freeway. Finally, at midnight, he called to say he got one of the last rooms in the last hotel available, the Cambria Inn. It was so icy he felt he should walk across the road to the Burger King rather than drive.

He is in the Army and has been driving home for Christmas from Fort Hood, Texas since Monday morning.
Yup, Greencastle. We were all stuck in town today. All roads out of Greencastle were closed. (US 231 and US240)

I know the owners of the Cambria Inn.
PlatyPius is offline  
Old 12-24-08, 05:32 AM
  #249  
What happened?
 
Rollfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Posts: 7,927

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
/SNIPPED/ He had mentioned something about a couple mixtes and Raleighs, and I was hoping there's be a Marathon - like the one I found and passed on to Darwin, or the other one that jgedwa got to with the cash to grab before me. I figured something like that would be nicer than the yellow Vista that sits in my shed waiting for that one day when my wife can't fight me off any longer and agrees to try to learn how to ride a bicycle. Well, there are a few mixtes - a Fuji, a couple Raleighs and a Peugeot - but all with the heavier tubing.

Well back with the other older bicycles (the kind I have been assured the people who come there have zero interest in), I see this really funky ladies bicycle with a triple plane fork crown, skip tooth sprockets front and rear, a rack, streamers and coaster brake. Almost no rust (just some light hints on non-chromed wheels), and a really great Mesinger saddle with dimensions that would put some dinner plates to shame. The head badge is kind of faint, but we can make out Overland.

Anyhow, like I said, no pictures tonight, but here's a copy of a picture from an eBay auction where someone sold a bunch of old head badges. I'm glad I found this, because the one on this bicycle is so faded, I don't think I would have ever made out the colors.

WOW. I have to see a doctor now for a drooling problem. Thanks!
Rollfast is offline  
Old 12-24-08, 09:10 AM
  #250  
Señor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hardy, VA
Posts: 17,986

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Liked 1,142 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
WOW. I have to see a doctor now for a drooling problem. Thanks!
I only got one bicycle mind you.

Until I get out with the camera, here's a picture of the bike before I rescued it from the orphanage. It's the two-toned blue one with the conspicuous fenders.



Already talked with the lad. He's already onboard to do the repaint (no big deal in this case since there's no way what's on there now is the original one).
__________________
In search of what to search for.

Last edited by USAZorro; 12-24-08 at 09:20 AM.
USAZorro is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.