Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Old 03-25-10, 04:14 PM
  #4126  
Senior Member
 
3373jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 422
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
not a typical flipper and more than i typically spend... but should sell easily as a beginner tri bike with the warming weather.
3373jones is offline  
Old 03-25-10, 08:39 PM
  #4127  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 659
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picked this '79 Trek 730 up today from a CL ad. Had to meet the guy at the Atlanta PD Crime Lab, which was a nice surprise. Full 531 frame in my size with 1st generation Dura Ace bits, Phil Wood hubs, and a Phil Wood BB. Set up as a SS at the moment, hence the odd bars, but I have a bag of take-off parts with the derailleurs and bar-ends. Bit more than I'd like to spend but nothing I can't cover by selling off a couple other bikes and I'm Dr. Stausty now, dangit, so I should get another bike to celebrate.

stausty is offline  
Old 03-26-10, 05:56 AM
  #4128  
Senior Member
 
auchencrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Detroit
Posts: 10,303
Likes: 0
Liked 44 Times in 34 Posts
Hi "Dr" Stausty -
Double congratulations! - on getting the high-end trek bike with all the DA take off parts with the hanger and braze-ons still intact AND your Phd. (In what?)

BTW - what was the bike doing at the CRIME lab? Whose fingerprints are those on the head tube? -Yours?
-A
auchencrow is offline  
Old 03-26-10, 08:09 AM
  #4129  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 659
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
Hi "Dr" Stausty -
Double congratulations! - on getting the high-end trek bike with all the DA take off parts with the hanger and braze-ons still intact AND your Phd. (In what?)

BTW - what was the bike doing at the CRIME lab? Whose fingerprints are those on the head tube? -Yours?
-A
Ph D in Physical Chemistry. And the crime lab was just an interesting coincidence. The seller had the bike at his office and his office happened to be at the crime lab.
stausty is offline  
Old 03-26-10, 09:33 AM
  #4130  
Senior Member
 
auchencrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Detroit
Posts: 10,303
Likes: 0
Liked 44 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by stausty
.. the bike happened to be at the crime lab.
Yeah sure - a likely story.
auchencrow is offline  
Old 03-26-10, 01:00 PM
  #4131  
Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Western NC
Posts: 23,555

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Liked 1,005 Times in 646 Posts
Picked up this Cannondale R600 last week. Cleaned it up, added brifters, and its off to C/L.

wrk101 is offline  
Old 03-26-10, 04:56 PM
  #4132  
Senior Member
 
Grim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,978

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stausty
Picked this '79 Trek 730 up today from a CL ad. Had to meet the guy at the Atlanta PD Crime Lab, which was a nice surprise. Full 531 frame in my size with 1st generation Dura Ace bits, Phil Wood hubs, and a Phil Wood BB. Set up as a SS at the moment, hence the odd bars, but I have a bag of take-off parts with the derailleurs and bar-ends. Bit more than I'd like to spend but nothing I can't cover by selling off a couple other bikes and I'm Dr. Stausty now, dangit, so I should get another bike to celebrate.

Wow you must have jumped on that quick! I never saw that one post. Nice score. Glad to hear the bits are they to de hipster it.
Grim is offline  
Old 03-26-10, 05:09 PM
  #4133  
Forum Moderator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 20,969

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy Viscount Aerospace Pro Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Liked 7,183 Times in 4,060 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Picked up this Cannondale R600 last week. Cleaned it up, added brifters, and its off to C/L.
Pretty bike!
__________________












cb400bill is offline  
Old 03-26-10, 07:07 PM
  #4134  
Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Western NC
Posts: 23,555

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Liked 1,005 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by 3373jones
not a typical flipper and more than i typically spend... but should sell easily as a beginner tri bike with the warming weather.
At the right price, that Giant will make a great flip!

My target bike is a 1980s Japanese made bike with a cromoly frame and decent or better components. I look all the time. So invariably, I run across good deals on modern road bikes, along with MTBs (I really need to swear off MTBs, unless it is really something special). They all go to fund my bike hobby, so it all works.
wrk101 is offline  
Old 03-27-10, 09:50 AM
  #4135  
ish
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 211
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raverson
I picked up this rather nice 1985 Stumpjumper Sport on CL Sunday. The ad had been posted Saturday morning and I didn't see it till later that night. Suprised when he emailed me Sunday morning. Seller was the original owner and said it was just taking up space.
Nice Stumpy! I dig the color.
ish is offline  
Old 03-28-10, 12:19 AM
  #4136  
Senior Member
 
raverson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: beautiful Chehalis, Wa. 98532
Posts: 1,402
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Sekai 4000 and Schwinn Caliente barn find.

Last Sunday, on the way back from picking up the Stumpjumper, I spotted a pile of what looked like scrap sitting near a gate to a large yard. In the middle of the pile was a bike with its wheels off, leaning against it.

I stopped and knocked on the door and talked to the homeowner who told me the bike wasn't for sale. "But if your interested in buying some bikes, I have some more in the barn." We go into the barn and he pulls down two bikes from the rafters. "These are the wifes, but she never rides them. You can have them both for $60 and I reached quickly for my wallet.

As we were loading them up, I asked if he'd throw in the one sitting in the yard. "Nope, its not for sale." And we left it at that.
raverson is offline  
Old 03-28-10, 05:04 AM
  #4137  
Senior Member
 
cycleheimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York Metro Area
Posts: 3,876

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Liked 230 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by raverson
I stopped and knocked on the door and talked to the homeowner who told me the bike wasn't for sale. "But if your interested in buying some bikes, I have some more in the barn." We go into the barn and he pulls down two bikes from the rafters. "These are the wifes, but she never rides them. You can have them both for $60 and I reached quickly for my wallet.
The dude's wife must have been a pretty serious cyclist, since that Sekai 4000 ($$$nice bike$$$) is set up for some serious riding. The $60 would probably cover the cost of the racks and generator light set (if it works) at a garage sale . The Sekai makes your haul a top 10 "catch-of-the-year" contestant. You can get your initial investment+ back on the Caliente. Calient ... You can guess which bike the wife actually rode
cycleheimer is offline  
Old 03-28-10, 09:29 AM
  #4138  
Senior Member
 
raverson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: beautiful Chehalis, Wa. 98532
Posts: 1,402
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
You can guess which bike the wife actually rode
The wife came out before I left and she told me she had ridden it on a tour of the eastern seaboard back in the mid eighties.

Nice thing about the Caliente and its FFS drivetrain, it uses full length housing, so no gear cable braze ons. And I have a crank converter BB kicking around in the parts bin, would be an easy conversion.
raverson is offline  
Old 03-28-10, 09:43 AM
  #4139  
ish
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 211
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of racks are on the Sekai?
ish is offline  
Old 03-28-10, 09:56 AM
  #4140  
Senior Member
 
raverson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: beautiful Chehalis, Wa. 98532
Posts: 1,402
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ish
What kind of racks are on the Sekai?
The rear is an Eclipse that has the side grooves for mounting bags.

The front is a Jim Blackburn that has adapters strapped on for the same Eclipse grooved mounting system.

Last edited by raverson; 03-28-10 at 10:00 AM.
raverson is offline  
Old 03-28-10, 10:14 AM
  #4141  
Senior Member
 
kingfish254's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 970

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Classic III Folder - 1990 Dahon Mariner Classic III Folder - 2005 Dahon Jetstream P8 Full Suspension Folder

Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I picked up this Cannondale F400 at a yard sale yesterday. So far it looks like all I need to do is put air in tires and cleanup. Everything was tuned in pretty good and lubed well.


Last edited by kingfish254; 03-29-10 at 11:10 AM.
kingfish254 is offline  
Old 03-28-10, 10:18 AM
  #4142  
Senior Member
 
kingfish254's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 970

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Classic III Folder - 1990 Dahon Mariner Classic III Folder - 2005 Dahon Jetstream P8 Full Suspension Folder

Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Last week I went to our Philly office, but checked the local CL first and saw a good deal on a Dahon Curve D3. We agreed on a price and I brought my bigger suitcase and some tools and packing materials.

The Curve survived the trip in the suitcase just fine. Just took if for it's first Savannah ride and was very pleased. I put the Pump seat post on my Jetstream and installed the regular seatpost on my Curve.






kingfish254 is offline  
Old 03-28-10, 10:20 AM
  #4143  
ish
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 211
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The racks look pretty cool, I like how the "lips" would prevent things from shifting back and forth. I have a rear Jim Blackburn with those adapters - I wondered what they were from.
ish is offline  
Old 03-28-10, 10:51 AM
  #4144  
Senior Member
 
cycleheimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York Metro Area
Posts: 3,876

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Liked 230 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by raverson
The wife came out before I left and she told me she had ridden it on a tour of the eastern seaboard back in the mid eighties.
Glad to get the sense she was alright with him selling it for the price of a dinner at a pizza joint. Thought there may have been a divorce, or one on the way when she found out he "gave away" her high-end road bike. Really like the way they have it set up. Somebody knew what they were doing.
cycleheimer is offline  
Old 03-28-10, 02:52 PM
  #4145  
Senior Member
 
Bikedued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,963
Liked 108 Times in 61 Posts
I had been watching this one drop from a little over two hundred at a local pawn shop. This last Friday I stopped by during a delivery, and noticed
it was down from the previous $179, to $129. I walked inside and asked if there was any more dropping the price could endure in order to get it
out of his sight. He dropped it another ten bucks to $120 + tax. I said sold, and wheeled it out the door. I brought it home, swapped the stem
to one that didn't make me do an impression of Clark Kents alter ego, and rewrapped the bars with some white vinyl I already had. It's covered
in road grime, but I see no scratches. It rides like a Trek 1200 I used to own. It's a 105 equipped Diamondback
Master TG of unknown year. 92? 93? 94?.,,,,,BD



UPDATE!! All polished and ready for riding. Even the tires hold air

__________________
So many bikes, so little dime.

Last edited by Bikedued; 03-28-10 at 06:36 PM.
Bikedued is offline  
Old 03-28-10, 04:44 PM
  #4146  
Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Western NC
Posts: 23,555

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Liked 1,005 Times in 646 Posts
Today's Craig List catch: Minoura RS-6000 Workstand (if I can figure out how to get the clamp reattached), grease gun, carbon fork, two cromoly forks, three handlebars, set of pedals, shock, and three seat posts.

Best part was the price, free.

I ended buying several wheel sets, a couple of nice cassettes, Ritchey handlebars and stem, some tires, and a couple of floor bicycle racks.

Well, I got the stand back together. Not sure it is all there, but it works!



Last edited by wrk101; 03-28-10 at 06:15 PM.
wrk101 is offline  
Old 03-28-10, 09:32 PM
  #4147  
Senior Member
 
Gthoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SW Wisconsin
Posts: 106
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
I had been watching this one drop from a little over two hundred at a local pawn shop. This last Friday I stopped by during a delivery, and noticed
it was down from the previous $179, to $129. I walked inside and asked if there was any more dropping the price could endure in order to get it
out of his sight. He dropped it another ten bucks to $120 + tax. I said sold, and wheeled it out the door. I brought it home, swapped the stem
to one that didn't make me do an impression of Clark Kents alter ego, and rewrapped the bars with some white vinyl I already had. It's covered
in road grime, but I see no scratches. It rides like a Trek 1200 I used to own. It's a 105 equipped Diamondback
Master TG of unknown year. 92? 93? 94?.,,,,,BD

UPDATE!! All polished and ready for riding. Even the tires hold air

Nice looking DB. I just flipped a very similar looking Diamondback MTB that I found at the dump. I wish it would have been a "Master TG" though.
Gthoro is offline  
Old 03-28-10, 11:17 PM
  #4148  
Senior Member
 
Bikedued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,963
Liked 108 Times in 61 Posts
Add some drop bars, and some thinner tires, and you're almost there They look nearly identical, don't they?,,,,BD
__________________
So many bikes, so little dime.
Bikedued is offline  
Old 03-29-10, 09:27 AM
  #4149  
Steel Member
 
fiataccompli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,427

Bikes: N + 1

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm pretty excited about this one. Don't get to pick it up 'til the weekend, but it appears to be an early '70s Raliegh Professional with "all Italian components"....should be hard to go wrong unless it's too much of a detour off the Interstate on the way home....

fiataccompli is offline  
Old 03-29-10, 11:51 AM
  #4150  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Stratford Ontario Canada
Posts: 365

Bikes: NORCO, GIANT

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pulled these parts off a junk frame The light and generator are Vintage New watson made in France and the stem shifters are shimano 333 the first Ive seen pretty nifty

Im Fixed is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.