Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Old 08-14-14, 10:46 PM
  #10526  
Senior Member
 
Steve Whitlatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 3,455
Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts
I rescued this Canondale from the back of a scrapper pickup truck. I was parked for lunch about 4 blocks away from the scrap yard he was headed to. Most of the time the bikes they have are department store mountain bikes but when I looked down I saw "Cannondale". I was lucky he had the red light. I honked for him to pull over and asked how much for the bike. He asked more than the scrap value but it was well worth it to me I think. I assumed the wheels where 700c but I was wrong. The tiny bike has 650 x 23 tires. Its missing the seat post, pedals, chain and rear derailleur. I have a spare 105 in my parts bin and I should be able to come up with a seat and post pretty easy. Wheels spin smooth, no hops but need to be trued a bit. I hope the grip shifters work. She is a 1993 R700 TT Tri bike, very small. I could not let her get melted. Should be a fun bike to fix up.

https://www.vintagecannondale.com/year/1993/1993.pdf
__________________
My bikes: 1970`s Roberts - 1981 Miyata 912 - 1980`s Ocshner (Chrome) - 1987 Schwinn Circuit - 1987 Schwinn Prologue - 1992 Schwinn Crosspoint - 1999 Schwinn Circuit - 2014 Cannondale Super Six EVO

Last edited by Steve Whitlatch; 08-14-14 at 10:49 PM.
Steve Whitlatch is offline  
Old 08-15-14, 04:42 AM
  #10527  
Senior Member
 
Bikedued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,963
Liked 108 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
Spotted this Trek Tri series at a local SA. It was at least 20 feet off the floor. 531c tubing, Shimano 600' garage queen condition.

Literally priced too high - couldn't read the tag. Didn't feel like asking.

I definitely would have asked. Though, the SA around here (at least in the city) are high even on Wal Mart bikes which seems like the only thing they get now. I saw a Lemond there once 4-5 years ago and it was not even a high end one, for $650. It was the last decent thing they've had that I have seen. Nice vintage bikes never make it to the sales floor anymore. They go out the back door with the employees, to go on CL and ebay for personal financial gain. At least that's my guess.,,,,BD

Ebay has all but ruined the chance of finding nice bikes cheap. Everyone thinks even bike boom ten speeds are worth a mint.
__________________
So many bikes, so little dime.

Last edited by Bikedued; 08-15-14 at 04:53 AM.
Bikedued is offline  
Old 08-15-14, 10:23 AM
  #10528  
"SURE!"
 
cog_nate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lawrence, KS
Posts: 204
Likes: 0
Liked 56 Times in 36 Posts
Picked up a taco'd Sirrus for $20. I'm pretty sure it's a 1991. Got a good RX-100 group on it, good stem that I'll probably strip the paint off, Tange-Seiki headset and very nice Sakae Custom bars (and headphones!). The seatpost is already mounted on the new project bike.

cog_nate is offline  
Old 08-15-14, 02:26 PM
  #10529  
Jack of all trades
 
anixi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 2,003

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^It's darn shame that Cirrus frame was totaled.
anixi is offline  
Old 08-15-14, 05:47 PM
  #10530  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Elwood Indiana
Posts: 7,333

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Liked 1,211 Times in 446 Posts
Picked this Elgin up at a rummage sale today. They wanted more money for a Schwinn Le Tour.









__________________
Semper fi
sloar is offline  
Old 08-16-14, 06:32 PM
  #10531  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: mass
Posts: 242

Bikes: '74 Fuji The Ace, '07 S-Works Epic, 88? Hardrock.... A whole bunch more

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first real vintage pick-up yesterday thanks to this thread, very new to both the vintage and road sides of the cycling community but I'm really excited to learn more. From what I got with the serial number (E2K9A03) I think it is a 1978 Trek TX500. It seems to be built with a pretty straighforward but decent(as far as I know) Japanese build. 022 Frame tubing, Suntour power shifters, Vx-GT rear derailleur, Seven front, Super Maxy cranks, Shimano 500 brakes with Zeus levers, Zeus front derailleur cable guide, Road Vx hubs and pedals(MKS).


I know next to nothing about what I picked up and all my searching really didn't yield too much. Anybody have any opinions? I feel for the 20 dollar price it is hard to go wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0342.jpg (81.9 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg
IMAG0341.jpg (98.9 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg
IMAG0340.jpg (96.4 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg
IMAG0339.jpg (81.0 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg
IMAG0338.jpg (95.6 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg
IMAG0337.jpg (93.1 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg
IMAG0336.jpg (95.7 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg
IMAG0335.jpg (93.4 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg
IMAG0334.jpg (101.2 KB, 152 views)
higgins617 is offline  
Old 08-16-14, 08:01 PM
  #10532  
Senior Member
 
Chris W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nampa Idaho
Posts: 1,081

Bikes: 76' Centrurion Pro-Tour, 86' Specialized Rock Hopper, 88' Centurion Iron Man, 89' Bruce Gordon "Hikari", 95' Rock Hopper Ultra.

Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well done Sir!!! That could be a very nice bike! This site may help you out:
Vintage Trek - Other Vintage Lightweight Bicycle Resources, bike

Cheers,
Chris

Originally Posted by higgins617
My first real vintage pick-up yesterday thanks to this thread, very new to both the vintage and road sides of the cycling community but I'm really excited to learn more. From what I got with the serial number (E2K9A03) I think it is a 1978 Trek TX500. It seems to be built with a pretty straighforward but decent(as far as I know) Japanese build. 022 Frame tubing, Suntour power shifters, Vx-GT rear derailleur, Seven front, Super Maxy cranks, Shimano 500 brakes with Zeus levers, Zeus front derailleur cable guide, Road Vx hubs and pedals(MKS).


I know next to nothing about what I picked up and all my searching really didn't yield too much. Anybody have any opinions? I feel for the 20 dollar price it is hard to go wrong.
Chris W. is offline  
Old 08-16-14, 08:11 PM
  #10533  
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Posts: 27,267

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 134 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by higgins617
My first real vintage pick-up yesterday thanks to this thread, very new to both the vintage and road sides of the cycling community but I'm really excited to learn more. From what I got with the serial number (E2K9A03) I think it is a 1978 Trek TX500. It seems to be built with a pretty straighforward but decent(as far as I know) Japanese build. 022 Frame tubing, Suntour power shifters, Vx-GT rear derailleur, Seven front, Super Maxy cranks, Shimano 500 brakes with Zeus levers, Zeus front derailleur cable guide, Road Vx hubs and pedals(MKS).
Nice find... do check those GS dropouts as I have found them to be failure prone where they meet the chain and seat stays and suspect there were some casting issues or that they were too light for their intended purpose.

I have replaced a lot of them in my time and they were fitted to quite a few different models... Trek, Miyata, and Kuwahara all used them and they seem to suffer most under loaded bicycles.
Sixty Fiver is offline  
Old 08-16-14, 08:21 PM
  #10534  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: mass
Posts: 242

Bikes: '74 Fuji The Ace, '07 S-Works Epic, 88? Hardrock.... A whole bunch more

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys! I'll start doing some more homework, nice to know I made a decent pick up. The frame seems to be in very good shape, other than the usual paint chips and a little surface rusting. I'm looking forward to cleaning it up and letting the metallic paint shine.
higgins617 is offline  
Old 08-16-14, 09:13 PM
  #10535  
Senior Member
 
mapleleafs-13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,763

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto, Pinarello Montello, Bianchi Celeste

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steve Whitlatch
I rescued this Canondale from the back of a scrapper pickup truck. I was parked for lunch about 4 blocks away from the scrap yard he was headed to. Most of the time the bikes they have are department store mountain bikes but when I looked down I saw "Cannondale". I was lucky he had the red light. I honked for him to pull over and asked how much for the bike. He asked more than the scrap value but it was well worth it to me I think. I assumed the wheels where 700c but I was wrong. The tiny bike has 650 x 23 tires. Its missing the seat post, pedals, chain and rear derailleur. I have a spare 105 in my parts bin and I should be able to come up with a seat and post pretty easy. Wheels spin smooth, no hops but need to be trued a bit. I hope the grip shifters work. She is a 1993 R700 TT Tri bike, very small. I could not let her get melted. Should be a fun bike to fix up.

https://www.vintagecannondale.com/year/1993/1993.pdf


very nice save, it's crazy that someone would throw something like that out.
mapleleafs-13 is offline  
Old 08-16-14, 10:13 PM
  #10536  
Senior Member
 
Shp4man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,046

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn World Sport. 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Liked 84 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
Picked this Elgin up at a rummage sale today. They wanted more money for a Schwinn Le Tour.









Pre-war, I think. Looks pretty sound, too. Nice find!
Shp4man is offline  
Old 08-22-14, 10:49 PM
  #10537  
Junior Member
 
enjoybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: montana
Posts: 198

Bikes: Early 90's Pinarello Gavia, '84 Guerciotti, '91 GF Hoo Koo e Koo, '88 Giant Iguana, '09 Specialized XC

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
Replaced consumables and swapped bars. Fun ride.
enjoybikes is offline  
Old 08-24-14, 09:25 AM
  #10538  
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 7,834

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Liked 2,861 Times in 1,311 Posts
New fishing bike, MB-3 garage sale catch...
curbtender is offline  
Old 08-26-14, 06:10 AM
  #10539  
Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Western NC
Posts: 23,557

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Liked 1,005 Times in 646 Posts
Picked up this Alan last night. Mostly Campy C Record, except derailleur and crankset. Too good to pass up. Why it lasted over a day on C/L is beyond me.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4787.jpg (95.8 KB, 136 views)
wrk101 is offline  
Old 08-26-14, 07:01 AM
  #10540  
Senior Member
 
SJX426's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fredericksburg, Va
Posts: 9,676

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Liked 2,296 Times in 1,147 Posts
[MENTION=109949]wrk101[/MENTION] - Nice find! looks like 60 or 61 cm.
SJX426 is offline  
Old 08-26-14, 07:51 AM
  #10541  
Senior Member
 
MiloFrance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Capestang, France
Posts: 1,341

Bikes: Lots of French, some British and a couple of Italian

Liked 130 Times in 65 Posts
Picked up at the community tip in Bristol. Should never have sold it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1000867 copy.jpg (90.0 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg
P1000868 copy.jpg (96.9 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg
P1000869 copy.jpg (78.9 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg
P1000870 copy.jpg (84.0 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg
P1000871 copy.jpg (96.2 KB, 149 views)
MiloFrance is offline  
Old 08-26-14, 01:51 PM
  #10542  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everybody!

I had picked up this bike today, could you help me with identification?
It seems like it's a late 80's high-end German bike. It has aluminium wheels (Weinmann), cranks (Shimano Silstar) and sprockets, a 6x2 speed Sachs-Huret Commander shifter (6 speed) with Sachs HT internal shifter (2 speed). Drum brakes, a handlebar with a globe and a bike racer in it, size 630 Continental tires, a huge front light with "Halogen" written on it and it has a 7 character S/N under the saddle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0236MOD.jpg (102.3 KB, 202 views)
Mgz88 is offline  
Old 08-26-14, 02:16 PM
  #10543  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 591

Bikes: Fiori Roma, Currently building a Bianchi, Trek 330, formerly Monshee Nomad, Favorit, Bianchi Sport SX, Frankenbike

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mgz88
Hi everybody!

I had picked up this bike today, could you help me with identification?
It seems like it's a late 80's high-end German bike. It has aluminium wheels (Weinmann), cranks (Shimano Silstar) and sprockets, a 6x2 speed Sachs-Huret Commander shifter (6 speed) with Sachs HT internal shifter (2 speed). Drum brakes, a handlebar with a globe and a bike racer in it, size 630 Continental tires, a huge front light with "Halogen" written on it and it has a 7 character S/N under the saddle.
Hard to tell from one picture, but what makes you think its German. As to high end, the parts don't indicate that.

The drum brakes are highly unusual. The levers look low end.

The front light is probably added later.

Silstar is SR, not Shimano.
JamesRL is offline  
Old 08-26-14, 02:42 PM
  #10544  
Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Western NC
Posts: 23,557

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Liked 1,005 Times in 646 Posts
+10 The "german" bike is not high end. Silstar, stem shifters, steel seat post, etc., indicate towards the low end.
__________________
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
wrk101 is offline  
Old 08-26-14, 03:59 PM
  #10545  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 564

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My helper at work who does some odd jobs on the side got some work from a realtor patching up and cleaning out a rental property. He told there was a a bike in the shed and asked me if I'd like him to bring it in to work. He only knew it was a Raleigh. This is what he showed up with. I'm going to keep it and use it for fun rides and such. I'd like to know about when it was made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0826141343.jpg (94.9 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg
0826141342.jpg (90.0 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg
0826141344a.jpg (92.9 KB, 155 views)
sevenmag is offline  
Old 08-26-14, 04:33 PM
  #10546  
Senior Member
 
Bikedued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,963
Liked 108 Times in 61 Posts
I would LOVE that drum brake wheelset. Very cool.,,,,BD
__________________
So many bikes, so little dime.
Bikedued is offline  
Old 08-26-14, 04:37 PM
  #10547  
Senior Member
 
Bikedued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,963
Liked 108 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by MiloFrance
Picked up at the community tip in Bristol. Should never have sold it.
Whoa, that is nice. I guess the two headbadges on the head tube and seat tube was an English thing? My Geoffrey Butler has the same exact thing. Almost the same color too, and same lugs but in chrome.,,,,BD

Trying to figure out who'd be dumb enough to throw that out. Some people have no snap whatsoever.

My catch from late last Summer, and pretty much my best catch ever(unless you count the chrome P15 that was too small).

__________________
So many bikes, so little dime.

Last edited by Bikedued; 08-26-14 at 04:45 PM.
Bikedued is offline  
Old 08-26-14, 04:50 PM
  #10548  
Senior Member
 
Bikedued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,963
Liked 108 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by sevenmag
My helper at work who does some odd jobs on the side got some work from a realtor patching up and cleaning out a rental property. He told there was a a bike in the shed and asked me if I'd like him to bring it in to work. He only knew it was a Raleigh. This is what he showed up with. I'm going to keep it and use it for fun rides and such. I'd like to know about when it was made.
A rough guess of 83-85 from me anyway. I kind of lose touch on Raleigh paint scheme's after 80-81.,,,,BD
__________________
So many bikes, so little dime.
Bikedued is offline  
Old 08-26-14, 04:56 PM
  #10549  
Senior Member
 
Bikedued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,963
Liked 108 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Shp4man
Pre-war, I think. Looks pretty sound, too. Nice find!
Pre which war, hahaha. That thing is ancient! Stellar find! It belongs in a museum!,,,,BD
__________________
So many bikes, so little dime.
Bikedued is offline  
Old 08-26-14, 05:35 PM
  #10550  
Senior Member
 
Murray Missile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 700 Ft. above sea level.
Posts: 3,279

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Liked 1,352 Times in 630 Posts
I paid too much but I wanted it.

1984 Schwinn Tempo frameset off eBay. Has some scrapes but no dents or rust, paint is shiny and the headset and bottom bracket are in great shape. Have gently used mid-90's RSX triple crankset, front & rear derailleurs, 3 X 7 brifters and caliper brakes to go on it. It's getting cleaned and put together with all it's "patina" intact, just need a decent set of 27 inch wheels & tires, stem, bars, seatpost and saddle.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
$_57 (8).jpg (104.0 KB, 158 views)
__________________
".....distasteful and easily triggered."
Murray Missile is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.