Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Old 12-13-17, 07:28 PM
  #12576  
Senior Member
 
3speedslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 9,337

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Your guess is as good as mine,Law! lol
No traces of the original decals.

Does it have a groove tube or a through tube?
3speedslow is offline  
Old 12-13-17, 09:39 PM
  #12577  
Senior Member
 
2cam16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Mateo,Ca.
Posts: 3,984

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Does it have a groove tube or a through tube?
Through tube like my Karakoram so I'm thinking around that era of GT. Early 90's.
2cam16 is offline  
Old 12-14-17, 09:58 AM
  #12578  
Senior Member
 
3speedslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 9,337

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Go wild then, SS rain bike beater for that GT.
3speedslow is offline  
Old 12-14-17, 12:57 PM
  #12579  
Senior Member
 
2cam16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Mateo,Ca.
Posts: 3,984

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Go wild then, SS rain bike beater for that GT.
Unfortunately it hardly rains here. lol
I'll see what I can come up with with my parts bin. Thinking drop bar.
2cam16 is offline  
Old 12-14-17, 06:48 PM
  #12580  
Member
 
Pathfinder27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 38

Bikes: 2014 Diamondback Haanjo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Campy Groupset

May not count as C&V but I just picked up a box of Campy Chorus parts for free yesterday. I spent the afternoon today cleaning them up. I don't have a frame for the lot yet so now I'm on the hunt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2848.jpg (238.1 KB, 511 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_2847.jpg (210.0 KB, 511 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_2846.jpg (229.5 KB, 518 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_2844.JPG (236.0 KB, 513 views)
Pathfinder27 is offline  
Old 12-14-17, 08:25 PM
  #12581  
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 7,649

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,218 Posts
Nice, you get the wheels also?
curbtender is offline  
Old 12-16-17, 07:24 PM
  #12582  
Senior Member
 
rjhammett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,247

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
I picked up these wheels the other day for $50. One front wheel is a Record the other a Centaur. I believe the rear is a Centaur. All are laced to Mavic Open Pro rims. The guy I bought them from wanted to get rid of them because he said "I'm not a Campy guy". They are in great shape. I will be putting them on one of my Pinarellos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0591.jpg (789.3 KB, 429 views)
rjhammett is offline  
Old 12-16-17, 08:00 PM
  #12583  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,068

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by rjhammett
I picked up these wheels the other day for $50. One front wheel is a Record the other a Centaur. I believe the rear is a Centaur. All are laced to Mavic Open Pro rims. The guy I bought them from wanted to get rid of them because he said "I'm not a Campy guy". They are in great shape. I will be putting them on one of my Pinarellos.
Nice pickup. It was tough not to contact him and see if he would ship them.
nesteel is offline  
Old 12-16-17, 08:05 PM
  #12584  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 14,491
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by rjhammett
I picked up these wheels the other day for $50. One front wheel is a Record the other a Centaur. I believe the rear is a Centaur. All are laced to Mavic Open Pro rims. The guy I bought them from wanted to get rid of them because he said "I'm not a Campy guy". They are in great shape. I will be putting them on one of my Pinarellos.

Bob, if you end up with an orphaned 32 hole OP, I might be able to reuse it.

I ordered a SP dynamo for my Della Santa and it would be nice to have a matching set.

My current OP front has a couple of rim nicks that bug me and I couldn't sand them out.
gomango is offline  
Old 12-16-17, 11:19 PM
  #12585  
Senior Member
 
Crossthreaded88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Dogtown, CA. USA
Posts: 156

Bikes: Cannondale M500, Electra Cruiser 7, Schwinn Cruiser 3 2003 retro, Trek Calipso Cruiser 7sp, Dyno Taboo Tiki, Dyno Moon Eyes, Dyno Duece, Dyno Moto 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jim dandy
Think I'm going to buy a lottery ticket to keep this lucky streak going. Yes, I read all the posts about this one, but it was free and needed a good home.
JD, Dallas
Looks like an easy fix a seatecktomy and a barwrapittus and this patient will live Doctor. The thing I want is that cool mini work stand. It's only the second one I've ever seen and I can't seem to find one. Does it have a name or maker?
Crossthreaded88 is offline  
Old 12-16-17, 11:34 PM
  #12586  
Senior Member
 
Crossthreaded88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Dogtown, CA. USA
Posts: 156

Bikes: Cannondale M500, Electra Cruiser 7, Schwinn Cruiser 3 2003 retro, Trek Calipso Cruiser 7sp, Dyno Taboo Tiki, Dyno Moon Eyes, Dyno Duece, Dyno Moto 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Next!

I guess I'm on a roll here. Not finding rare old Italian or French stuff but bikes do seem to continue to fall in my lap despite my declaration to buy no more bikes. Cool old lugged steel 58cm frame Nishiki Century with all Suntour on it. Araya rims with rusted spokes. I never have devised a way to do anything to deal with rusty spokes short of re-lacing them with new ones. Wire brush then oil treatment is the best I can come up with that's not both labor intensive and expensive. I'm all ears if someone has more knowledge or ideas. Anyway cleaned and tuned with a good used seat and it's ready to be a useful member of society once again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_2271.jpg (932.3 KB, 413 views)
Crossthreaded88 is offline  
Old 12-17-17, 06:10 AM
  #12587  
Senior Member
 
Murray Missile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 700 Ft. above sea level.
Posts: 3,242

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Crossthreaded88
.......Araya rims with rusted spokes. I never have devised a way to do anything to deal with rusty spokes short of re-lacing them with new ones. Wire brush then oil treatment is the best I can come up with that's not both labor intensive and expensive. I'm all ears if someone has more knowledge or ideas......
I guess it depends on your idea of labor intensive but I've had decent results masking the rim and then covering them with rags soaked in white vinegar for a few hour's. Rinse and hit the really deep stuff with aluminum foil dipped in water. Rinse well, let dry overnight then coat them with clear enamel to r-e-t-a-r-d ( 😮SERIOUSLY?! ) re-oxidation. YMMV but I've been satisfied with it.

Last edited by Murray Missile; 12-17-17 at 06:17 AM.
Murray Missile is offline  
Old 12-17-17, 10:10 AM
  #12588  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 143

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Super Touring, 1980? Trek 620, 1964 Dunelt, 1991 Specialized Hardrock Comp, 80's Peugeot Vagabond, '74 Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Crossthreaded88
I never have devised a way to do anything to deal with rusty spokes short of re-lacing them with new ones. Wire brush then oil treatment is the best I can come up with that's not both labor intensive and expensive. I'm all ears if someone has more knowledge or ideas.
I've done the oil thing, but it needs redoing quickly. I've sprayed silver spray paint into a rag and rubbed the spokes down for a little protection and camouflage. I'm testing hitting galvanized spokes with cold galvanizing spray to replace lost zinc after the steel wool treatment. So far so good, but too soon to reach any conclusion.
pfaustus is offline  
Old 12-17-17, 12:29 PM
  #12589  
Senior Member
 
Crossthreaded88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Dogtown, CA. USA
Posts: 156

Bikes: Cannondale M500, Electra Cruiser 7, Schwinn Cruiser 3 2003 retro, Trek Calipso Cruiser 7sp, Dyno Taboo Tiki, Dyno Moon Eyes, Dyno Duece, Dyno Moto 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jim dandy
He you go ... Amazon ... hope link works for you ...
Regards, JD
Thanks yes it worked. Not exactly the same as yours but close, yours looks a little more simple the way I remember the first one I saw with the thick piece of plastic tubing around the hook. You know this item does not come up upon search for bike stand of any type that's probably why I've never been able to find one. Without your link I'd still be in the dark. Much obliged JD.
Crossthreaded88 is offline  
Old 12-17-17, 12:43 PM
  #12590  
Senior Member
 
Crossthreaded88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Dogtown, CA. USA
Posts: 156

Bikes: Cannondale M500, Electra Cruiser 7, Schwinn Cruiser 3 2003 retro, Trek Calipso Cruiser 7sp, Dyno Taboo Tiki, Dyno Moon Eyes, Dyno Duece, Dyno Moto 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
I guess it depends on your idea of labor intensive but I've had decent results masking the rim and then covering them with rags soaked in white vinegar for a few hour's. Rinse and hit the really deep stuff with aluminum foil dipped in water. Rinse well, let dry overnight then coat them with clear enamel to r-e-t-a-r-d ( 😮SERIOUSLY?! ) re-oxidation. YMMV but I've been satisfied with it.
Well after brushing 72 spokes on both sides with a wire tooth brush my hand and arm were seriously cramped up and the effects were still present the next morning. I like the idea of vinegar I have had major success with chain using it. I've heard of using foil but always thought it was an old wives tale good to know. Wow somebody censored you ahh the PC world in which we live. I'm unfamiliar with YMMV? Your Madness May Vary? Thanks for the info.
Crossthreaded88 is offline  
Old 12-17-17, 12:52 PM
  #12591  
Senior Member
 
Crossthreaded88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Dogtown, CA. USA
Posts: 156

Bikes: Cannondale M500, Electra Cruiser 7, Schwinn Cruiser 3 2003 retro, Trek Calipso Cruiser 7sp, Dyno Taboo Tiki, Dyno Moon Eyes, Dyno Duece, Dyno Moto 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by pfaustus
I've done the oil thing, but it needs redoing quickly. I've sprayed silver spray paint into a rag and rubbed the spokes down for a little protection and camouflage. I'm testing hitting galvanized spokes with cold galvanizing spray to replace lost zinc after the steel wool treatment. So far so good, but too soon to reach any conclusion.
Better bikes through science I like it. If spokes weren't so expensive we wouldn't be having this conversation. The LBS gets $2 a spoke for SS spokes. I know I can get them online for less but stainless is still pricey. The thing is that by time you massage every last spoke and especially where they cross and at the hub you have expended a vast amount of labor and brutal eye straining attention. Wish I had a buddy with a PW spoke machine. Thanks.
Crossthreaded88 is offline  
Old 12-17-17, 04:37 PM
  #12592  
Senior Member
 
Murray Missile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 700 Ft. above sea level.
Posts: 3,242

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Crossthreaded88
...... I'm unfamiliar with YMMV? Your Madness May Vary?
Well, there IS that! BUt it usually means, "Your Mileage May Vary." Yeah, the aluminum foil really works, I was a skeptic for a long time and then figured I'd give it a try, wish I'd given in years ago.
__________________
".....distasteful and easily triggered."
Murray Missile is offline  
Old 12-17-17, 06:07 PM
  #12593  
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 14,245
Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 3,327 Times in 2,171 Posts
Originally Posted by tiredhands
I spotted this last week at the junkyard and couldn't stop thinking about it all week. I was hoping it would be older, but its probably a late 60s - early 70s Peugeot PE41. It may not be special in the larger world of vintage bikes, but stuff like this doesn't come around often in my town. It'll be an exercise in advanced rust removal, if not futility. Seatpost is steel, so that's out, but the stem's not moving. Challenge accepted!
If the frame turns out to be salvageable, I'm going to rely on you guys to help me find the parts to put it back together!

-----

Congratulations on the find of this rare-in-the-U.S. model!

Are the brake calipers Weinmann Symmetric?

wrt dating -

This model of Prestige shift lever first appears in a Juy catalogue of 1970. Bicycles fitted with it did not enter the U.S. market prior to 1971.

The Prestige model rear mech is contemporaneous. It will be marked with a date on the back side of the inner cage plate. See illustration below.

The cycle's Rigida SUPERCHROMIX rims have small diamond symbols next to the name. There may be a two digit number inside the diamond. This is the year of manufacture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Rigida rim date marking .jpg (258.9 KB, 325 views)

Last edited by juvela; 12-17-17 at 06:10 PM. Reason: addition
juvela is offline  
Old 12-17-17, 07:51 PM
  #12594  
Sempiternal Newb
 
tiredhands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 637

Bikes: '92 Trek 750, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '95 Stumpjumper,

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Congratulations on the find of this rare-in-the-U.S. model!

Are the brake calipers Weinmann Symmetric?

wrt dating -

This model of Prestige shift lever first appears in a Juy catalogue of 1970. Bicycles fitted with it did not enter the U.S. market prior to 1971.

The Prestige model rear mech is contemporaneous. It will be marked with a date on the back side of the inner cage plate. See illustration below.

The cycle's Rigida SUPERCHROMIX rims have small diamond symbols next to the name. There may be a two digit number inside the diamond. This is the year of manufacture.
Thanks for the info! It looks like the rims have ď74sĒ inside the diamonds, so that means itís a 74. Iíll check the derailleur when I tear it down. Iím also guessing that because they are 700c rims that this bike was made for a European market? I know nothing about old French bikes and kinda hoped it would be old enough to have 650b rims.
And yep, they are Weinmann Symmetric brakes.
tiredhands is offline  
Old 12-17-17, 09:35 PM
  #12595  
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 14,245
Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 3,327 Times in 2,171 Posts
-----

Yes @tiredhands, sounds like it was built for the domestic european market. Perhaps originally purchased by a traveler or member of the armed forces.

-----
juvela is offline  
Old 12-18-17, 07:10 PM
  #12596  
Senior Member
 
due ruote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,454
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
No pics but a story. Took a driving trip recently to visit my MIL. I stopped at the local library to pick up a couple movies. Outside I saw a cool old Univega touring bike so naturally I paused to gawk for a minute, and just then a guy walked out the door, looked at me and said "Are you a bike guy?" "Well, sure," I said, thinking he was going to try to sell me the bike, which would have been an easy "no" as it was way too big and I had a 1200 mile drive home. Instead he said "Someone gave me some bike wheels, and I have nothing to do with them. They look pretty nice. Do you want them? Otherwise they will likely get tossed." That was an easy yes. So I went to see what they were (low expectations of course) and came home with 3 free wheelsets - 600 hubs with nice 27" Mavic rims; Sante hubs with mis-matched rims; Dura Ace hubs with Mavic tubular rims.
So apparently gawking can sometimes pay off.
due ruote is offline  
Old 12-18-17, 07:46 PM
  #12597  
Senior Member
 
mech986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: La Habra, California
Posts: 788

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
Well, there IS that! BUt it usually means, "Your Mileage May Vary." Yeah, the aluminum foil really works, I was a skeptic for a long time and then figured I'd give it a try, wish I'd given in years ago.
Just Saturday night I was able to use the vinegar/aluminium foil trick for some rusted roller axle shafts from a donor gas dryer for my current dryer which developed severe squeaking while running. At 1am, I tackled the teardown, dust cleanout, replacement of shafts and rubber wheeled rollers (with plain oilite bearings not unlike RD pulleys) and new belt (had all the parts on hand from a repair kit I ordered long ago. I added a smidge of automotive wheel disc brake wheel bearing grease for good measure and buttoned it all back up in just under 2 hours.

The vinegar / aluminum foil worked very well and I got the shafts back to relatively gleaming and smooth within 15 minutes of soak and rub/dab work. I'll be very interested to try this out on the chrome parts on a corroded and long suffering garaged Raleigh Professional and an Italvega Super Speciale that has some rusty areas on DT and TT.

Originally Posted by due ruote
No pics but a story. Took a driving trip recently to visit my MIL. I stopped at the local library to pick up a couple movies. Outside I saw a cool old Univega touring bike so naturally I paused to gawk for a minute, and just then a guy walked out the door, looked at me and said "Are you a bike guy?" "Well, sure," I said, thinking he was going to try to sell me the bike, which would have been an easy "no" as it was way too big and I had a 1200 mile drive home. Instead he said "Someone gave me some bike wheels, and I have nothing to do with them. They look pretty nice. Do you want them? Otherwise they will likely get tossed." That was an easy yes. So I went to see what they were (low expectations of course) and came home with 3 free wheelsets - 600 hubs with nice 27" Mavic rims; Sante hubs with mis-matched rims; Dura Ace hubs with Mavic tubular rims.
So apparently gawking can sometimes pay off.
Super. What type of 27" clinchers would you recommend for something like that?
mech986 is offline  
Old 12-18-17, 08:47 PM
  #12598  
Senior Member
 
Murray Missile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 700 Ft. above sea level.
Posts: 3,242

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by mech986
The vinegar / aluminum foil worked very well and I got the shafts back to relatively gleaming and smooth within 15 minutes of soak and rub/dab work. I'll be very interested to try this out on the chrome parts on a corroded and long suffering garaged Raleigh Professional and an Italvega Super Speciale that has some rusty areas on DT and TT.
I've even used aluminum foil dipped in water on a set of oxidized aluminum chainwheels with decent results. I then hit them with some Mother's. Didn't look "new" but they looked a helluva lot better!
__________________
".....distasteful and easily triggered."
Murray Missile is offline  
Old 12-19-17, 05:42 PM
  #12599  
ambulatory senior
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 5,998

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
miyata

picked this up as a new donation at the co-op. it has rust around the cable guides and is filthy. it has a complete set of arabesque 600 components except for the headset and maybe the hubs. the tube badge says miyata champion. i am guessing this is a 912. i will post more later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
miyata.jpg (1.16 MB, 539 views)
52telecaster is offline  
Old 12-19-17, 05:58 PM
  #12600  
Senior Member
 
3speedslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 9,337

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Did you just get yourself another orange bike?
3speedslow is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.