Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Colin Laing bicycles

Old 06-24-18, 09:11 PM
  #126  
friendofpugs 
Senior Member
 
friendofpugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Oshkosh, WI
Posts: 205

Bikes: I have a few...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by easyupbug View Post
As of a couple years ago Andy Gilmour, Tucson frame builder had some of Colin's decal, NOS. I love my Laing.
Thank you very much for the info. I have an email in to Ian Laing to see if he knows anything about the frame, and to see if he made it with his father or made it himself or what.
__________________
Current: '93 Trek 950, '89 Peugeot Athena, '87 Bianchi Sport SX, '79 Trek 937, '77 Trek TX700, '71 Gitane TdF
Past: '05 Cannondale R900, '04 Fuji Roubaix Pro, '96 Bianchi Reparto Course EL OS, '96 Serotta CSI, '89 Trek 400, '89 Bianchi Giro, '88 Panasonic DX4000, '87 Trek 400T, '85 Team Fuji, '85 Trek 400, '82 Trek 614, '81 Gios Torino, '72 Follis 472
friendofpugs is offline  
Old 11-24-18, 10:16 PM
  #127  
ccanepa
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Laing c-cross bike

I still have my Colin Laing cyclocross bike in my bsmt from back in the day, I special ordered it in 1975, Iíll have to look for the ser#, has a few special braze-ons for how the cable gets to the rear cantilever brake. i recognize these photos (remind me) of the fork crown and lugs. Nice to see the orig decals on some of these, mines been repainted so i only know what was on it from memory.
chuck
ccanepa is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 05:05 PM
  #128  
ccanepa
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Colin Laing Decal

did a repaint so it has its identity back...
I had some headtube/seatube transfers made up, waterslide decals with metalic paint, i have a pair extra as i only used 2 of the 4 made, diamond shape red top/wht mid/blu bottom, if interested LMK, can send pix, bit pricy as decals go but if you want them as i did ............

new here so cant post photo yet

ccanepa50@aol.com

prev post :
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by ccanepa View Post
I still have my Colin Laing cyclocross bike in my bsmt from back in the day, I special ordered it in 1975, Iíll have to look for the ser#, has a few special braze-ons for how the cable gets to the rear cantilever brake. i recognize these photos (remind me) of the fork crown and lugs. Nice to see the orig decals on some of these, mines been repainted so i only know what was on it from memory.
chuck
,
ccanepa is offline  
Old 03-05-19, 02:26 PM
  #129  
VanRAH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: near Afton, Wisc
Posts: 51

Bikes: Colin Laing

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1976 Creation!

Greetings Ian, Stuart & all; I had joined this forum a while back to find bikers interested in the Colin Laing bikes. But because of poor tech skills & life getting in the way I didn't find this until today! To the boy's, your Dad's skills were "Amazing", Thank you for the pleasure of riding one of your dad's creations! Colin built mine in 1976, it was my Saturday & Sunday bike so it is in very good condition. I'll try to post pictures in the future? It's been about 6 - 7 years since I've used it, my last ride. It was about 4 miles & I knew my riding days were over. So what to do with it?? Any suggestions would be welcome. Ole' Bob.
VanRAH is offline  
Old 03-05-19, 07:03 PM
  #130  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 3,707

Bikes: Merz X 5, Strawberry/Newlands, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton, Bornstein, Paisley, Paramounts, 3rensho, Moto TC, Raleigh Pro's, Marinoni, Cinelli SC and more

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by VanRAH View Post
Greetings Ian, Stuart & all; I had joined this forum a while back to find bikers interested in the Colin Laing bikes. But because of poor tech skills & life getting in the way I didn't find this until today! To the boy's, your Dad's skills were "Amazing", Thank you for the pleasure of riding one of your dad's creations! Colin built mine in 1976, it was my Saturday & Sunday bike so it is in very good condition. I'll try to post pictures in the future? It's been about 6 - 7 years since I've used it, my last ride. It was about 4 miles & I knew my riding days were over. So what to do with it?? Any suggestions would be welcome. Ole' Bob.
First of all, welcome aboard, second go around, comment and say Hi to get 10 posts so you can post pics because without them, it didn't happen.
merziac is offline  
Old 03-07-19, 11:28 AM
  #131  
VanRAH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: near Afton, Wisc
Posts: 51

Bikes: Colin Laing

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A BIG Thank you to everyone

Greetings Guys; First Thank You for the info & help. I received over 7 PM's last night. Of course I can't see them here. But they came in on my E-mail. Because I'm so damn tech challenged I can't even find some of my post from yesterday. I thought I had 7 but the moderator - owner must of deleted 2? When I find you again I will Thank you for this wonderful site & letting me kinda take an end run around your rules. But being I'm in a tough spot I ask you to please forgive me. And what really blows me away is one of the members here somehow posted pictures of my bike. Anyway I'm going to look around here & see if I can find the owner - moderator & the fella that posted my pictures. If I don't find ya, Thanks again everyone, Ole' Bob.
VanRAH is offline  
Old 03-07-19, 12:09 PM
  #132  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 3,707

Bikes: Merz X 5, Strawberry/Newlands, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton, Bornstein, Paisley, Paramounts, 3rensho, Moto TC, Raleigh Pro's, Marinoni, Cinelli SC and more

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by VanRAH View Post
Greetings Guys; First Thank You for the info & help. I received over 7 PM's last night. Of course I can't see them here. But they came in on my E-mail. Because I'm so damn tech challenged I can't even find some of my post from yesterday. I thought I had 7 but the moderator - owner must of deleted 2? When I find you again I will Thank you for this wonderful site & letting me kinda take an end run around your rules. But being I'm in a tough spot I ask you to please forgive me. And what really blows me away is one of the members here somehow posted pictures of my bike. Anyway I'm going to look around here & see if I can find the owner - moderator & the fella that posted my pictures. If I don't find ya, Thanks again everyone, Ole' Bob.
Click on your handle, then click on find all posts.
merziac is offline  
Old 04-09-19, 11:11 PM
  #133  
azsuprasm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally have my COLIAN!


...and itís an interesting one.

I was Budís assistant manager to Alan Brown at Tempe Bike in the early 90ís and I only wish I had taken pictures of what that ďshopĒ (warehouse) looked like on the inside during those years. I had met both Colin and Ian in passing back then but my concerns were always on the other side of the shop.

Iím on FB SteveBay and Steel is Real! Groups now and rekindling my desire to build back up my old Bianchi SLX that I let go a few years ago. Also looking to tally 10 so I can post pics.

Cheers to Ian & Stuart for staying connected here and through the internet and keeping up with their Dadís legacy.

Last edited by azsuprasm; 04-09-19 at 11:23 PM.
azsuprasm is offline  
Old 04-13-19, 06:11 PM
  #134  
azsuprasm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Colian in AZ







pics of the acquisition:

azsuprasm is offline  
Old 04-13-19, 06:42 PM
  #135  
Chombi1 
Senior Member
 
Chombi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,709
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by azsuprasm View Post






pics of the acquisition:

It's kinda strange that the tubing decal reminds me very much of a Supervitus 980 decal...... plus the BB cable guide footprint seems to look like the same shape as the ones on my Vitus Plus Carbone 9 and my Peugeot PY10FC........
Does this Colian frame have Vitus tubing, combined with Columbus dropouts??
Chombi1 is offline  
Old 04-14-19, 10:17 PM
  #136  
azsuprasm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chombi1 View Post
It's kinda strange that the tubing decal reminds me very much of a Supervitus 980 decal...
Does this Colian frame have Vitus tubing, combined with Columbus dropouts??
Tubing on this frame is the Ishiwata "Magny-V"..."Double-butted Tubes, Forks & Stays".

So sez the sticker, so it has to be true.


Last edited by azsuprasm; 04-14-19 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Add a pic
azsuprasm is offline  
Old 04-15-19, 02:17 AM
  #137  
Chombi1 
Senior Member
 
Chombi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,709
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is the Supervitus decal I mentioned that I think was copied by Colin Laing.
Just replaced the SV 983 graphics in the center. That's why I suspected that the bike frame might have been built with Vitus tubing......
__________________
72 Line Seeker
83 Davidson Signature
84 Peugeot PSV
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Chombi1 is offline  
Old 04-22-19, 09:34 AM
  #138  
selaing
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dad used whatever tubing he could get back in those days. Reynolds, Columbus or Ishiwata. Depended on what price the customer wanted to pay for the frame/bike.
selaing is offline  
Old 04-26-19, 04:15 PM
  #139  
azsuprasm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by selaing View Post
Dad used whatever tubing he could get back in those days. Reynolds, Columbus or Ishiwata. Depended on what price the customer wanted to pay for the frame/bike.
Funny, that's exactly the way I remember it being, Stuart. I had replied in the same fashion to another post and I don't think the OP believed my answer.
azsuprasm is offline  
Old 04-27-19, 12:20 PM
  #140  
VanRAH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: near Afton, Wisc
Posts: 51

Bikes: Colin Laing

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Finely

Greetings Guys; I finely found this post-thread again. I think I owe ya all some pictures & if I posted them before, chalk it up to senior moment. Anyway the question is what to do with this beautiful machine (work of art). I'm going to post my E-mail "vanrah@att.net" for those that may want to find me in the future. My 30 day membership is almost up. I'm not sure what privileges I'll lose other that the for sale area & or the word it's for sale in any post? I had broke some rules as I joined over a year ago, either read or forgot what I read (rules) but didn't become active until a month or so. Thank you for this post-thread & the people that make it possible. Right now I wish it was 30 years ago & I would be part of this seen-hobby. I've had my time carry it forward guys & gals. Ole' Bob.










VanRAH is offline  
Likes For VanRAH:
Old 04-28-19, 02:21 PM
  #141  
azsuprasm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Updated CL pics of his former personal ride





Stuart, thanks for the verification of this frame. Iíve brought it back a little closer to what it probably was set up with back in the day. Full Suntour Cyclone group sans hubs with the Accushift upgrade that was often done. Enjoy!
azsuprasm is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.