Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

Old 07-31-11, 02:16 AM
  #3826  
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The hot spot.
Posts: 45,616

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,207 Times in 4,372 Posts
I reckon it's pretty considerate of the seller to screw some cheepo platforms on there for test rides.

I might be running platforms on my Pinarello this winter. Pics will be posted when it happens.
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 07-31-11, 10:46 AM
  #3827  
Senior Member
 
mapleleafs-13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,763

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto, Pinarello Montello, Bianchi Celeste

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's an interesting interaction with a person on kijiji, it's funny when they try to pressure you into a sale when they say things like "someone else wants it" or "i got other people waiting", sometimes this is true but it just makes you look like you're desperate to sell. when i sell stuff online unfortunately it goes to the first person to meet up with me and show me cash, first come first serve unfortunately, cash is king.


Me:
Hey, just asking but would u accept an offer of 200$

Him:
alright 200

Me:
Do u come into Toronto often, or is the only way to see this bike is way out in oshawa?

Sent from my iPhone

Him:

From: Paul Vonk []
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2011 10:20 AM
Subject: Subject: RE: Reply to your "BIANCHI 12 SPEED"

other people are interested also so if you snooze you lose on a great bike for a great price the others didnt have only 200

Me:
I believe u didn’t answer my question, is the only way to view this bike out in Oshawa?

Him:

someone else wants itr

(at this point i had to leave out of town for a day on some business and didn't get a chance to reply for one day, so the next message below is what he sent me after just one day)


Him:
From: Paul Vonk []
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2011 7:30 PM

YOURE AN IDIOT AND WASTE OF TIME YOU NEED TO BE SPAYED

Me:
It’s funny, cause I was out of town yesterday, and didn’t get a chance to reply to an email. So I guess you took this as offensive since I didn’t reply. The same reaction would come from a 13 year old pre-pubescent girl who listens to justin beiber and thinks she has a shot at him.

I actually was going to arrange a meeting to meet up with you this weekend but unfortunately your stupidness has cost you some money, you were selling an ok bike, there’s tons of bikes on craiglist and kijiji, don’t get too gassed. I guess you better sell it to “other people then” like you said in your other email at an attempt to get me to buy your bike, saying other people wanted to buy it for more. If you think I’m stupid enough to believe that you’d sell it to me for less when “other people” would have paid you more, then I guess you’re the “IDIOT”. I was probably the only real candidate that you had for the bike. Good luck with selling your bike. And I hope you’ve learned a lesson in selling stuff and learned to be a little more patient when selling an item cause your ****ty attitude has cost you a sale.

But who knows maybe you really needed money, you could probably be a crack head with a stolen bike that needed money fast for a quick fix. Cocaine, LSD, acid, mushrooms? What’s your poison, if you do need help there’s plenty of drug rehab programs available in Toronto, I could probably help you find one. I don’t know about Oshawa though, who really wants to live out there anyways.

P.S. There’s a lot of internet tough guys, and I don’t believe this should be the next career path for you.

Last edited by cuda2k; 08-05-11 at 02:12 PM.
mapleleafs-13 is offline  
Old 08-01-11, 02:27 AM
  #3828  
What happened?
 
Rollfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Posts: 7,927

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by sauze
feel the frustration

Link
I would assume the kind victim wishes to share his ample bowl of smoke before going ninja.
__________________
I don't know nothing, and I memorized it in school and got this here paper I'm proud of to show it.
Rollfast is offline  
Old 08-01-11, 02:29 AM
  #3829  
What happened?
 
Rollfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Posts: 7,927

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I assume he knows he's Dennis Miller.

Originally Posted by mapleleafs-13
Here's an interesting interaction with a person on kijiji, it's funny when they try to pressure you into a sale when they say things like "someone else wants it" or "i got other people waiting", sometimes this is true but it just makes you look like you're desperate to sell. when i sell stuff online unfortunately it goes to the first person to meet up with me and show me cash, first come first serve unfortunately, cash is king.


Me:
Hey, just asking but would u accept an offer of 200$

Him:
alright 200

Me:
Do u come into Toronto often, or is the only way to see this bike is way out in oshawa?

Sent from my iPhone

Him:

From: Paul Vonk []
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2011 10:20 AM
Subject: Subject: RE: Reply to your "BIANCHI 12 SPEED"

other people are interested also so if you snooze you lose on a great bike for a great price the others didnt have only 200

Me:
I believe u didn’t answer my question, is the only way to view this bike out in Oshawa?

Him:

someone else wants itr

(at this point i had to leave out of town for a day on some business and didn't get a chance to reply for one day, so the next message below is what he sent me after just one day)


Him:
From: Paul Vonk []
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2011 7:30 PM

YOURE AN IDIOT AND WASTE OF TIME YOU NEED TO BE SPAYED

Me:
It’s funny, cause I was out of town yesterday, and didn’t get a chance to reply to an email. So I guess you took this as offensive since I didn’t reply. The same reaction would come from a 13 year old pre-pubescent girl who listens to justin beiber and thinks she has a shot at him.

I actually was going to arrange a meeting to meet up with you this weekend but unfortunately your stupidness has cost you some money, you were selling an ok bike, there’s tons of bikes on craiglist and kijiji, don’t get too gassed. I guess you better sell it to “other people then” like you said in your other email at an attempt to get me to buy your bike, saying other people wanted to buy it for more. If you think I’m stupid enough to believe that you’d sell it to me for less when “other people” would have paid you more, then I guess you’re the “IDIOT”. I was probably the only real candidate that you had for the bike. Good luck with selling your bike. And I hope you’ve learned a lesson in selling stuff and learned to be a little more patient when selling an item cause your ****ty attitude has cost you a sale.

But who knows maybe you really needed money, you could probably be a crack head with a stolen bike that needed money fast for a quick fix. Cocaine, LSD, acid, mushrooms? What’s your poison, if you do need help there’s plenty of drug rehab programs available in Toronto, I could probably help you find one. I don’t know about Oshawa though, who really wants to live out there anyways.

P.S. There’s a lot of internet tough guys, and I don’t believe this should be the next career path for you.
__________________
I don't know nothing, and I memorized it in school and got this here paper I'm proud of to show it.

Last edited by cuda2k; 08-05-11 at 02:13 PM.
Rollfast is offline  
Old 08-01-11, 07:30 PM
  #3830  
Senior Member
 
FlatSix911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Los Altos, CA
Posts: 1,775
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by organicmuch
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/2521956447.html

i guess he thought it would look better with those pedals
Fail ...

FlatSix911 is offline  
Old 08-02-11, 07:20 PM
  #3831  
Senior Member
 
mapleleafs-13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,763

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto, Pinarello Montello, Bianchi Celeste

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
who can tell me what's wrong with this picture??



https://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...dIdZ302626922#
mapleleafs-13 is offline  
Old 08-02-11, 07:22 PM
  #3832  
Senior Member
 
mapleleafs-13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,763

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto, Pinarello Montello, Bianchi Celeste

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
who can tell me what's wrong with this picture??



https://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...dIdZ302626922#
mapleleafs-13 is offline  
Old 08-02-11, 09:01 PM
  #3833  
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 7,842

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Liked 2,866 Times in 1,313 Posts
Ha ha... it's yellow.
curbtender is offline  
Old 08-02-11, 09:03 PM
  #3834  
Banned.
 
Drillium Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PAZ
Posts: 12,294
Liked 4,833 Times in 1,710 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleleafs-13
who can tell me what's wrong with this picture??



https://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...dIdZ302626922#
The saddle forgot to take it's daily dose of Viagra?

DD
Drillium Dude is offline  
Old 08-02-11, 09:05 PM
  #3835  
Large Member
 
realestvin7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tejas
Posts: 2,533
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
The fork is backerds.^^^
realestvin7 is offline  
Old 08-02-11, 09:09 PM
  #3836  
Senior Member
 
mapleleafs-13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,763

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto, Pinarello Montello, Bianchi Celeste

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by curbtender
Ha ha... it's yellow.
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
The saddle forgot to take it's daily dose of Viagra?

DD
Originally Posted by realestvin7
The fork is backerds.^^^
You are all correct and you all win!, realestvin7 gets minus 2 points for spelling though
mapleleafs-13 is offline  
Old 08-03-11, 01:39 AM
  #3837  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleleafs-13
You are all correct and you all win!, realestvin7 gets minus 2 points for spelling though
haha dont forget that plastic band around the rear wheel. what the hell is that
organicmuch is offline  
Old 08-03-11, 07:36 AM
  #3838  
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 13,510
Liked 3,035 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleleafs-13
who can tell me what's wrong with this picture??



https://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...dIdZ302626922#
Well the kickstand is obviously mounted upside down (supposed to brace between the rear triangle not hang down). I'm also confused as to where the shifters are. Is it stemshifted and I can't see the levers because I'm blind? some sort of gripshifter? Obviously the fork and ziptied wheel that others have mentioned. Given it has wheel reflectors, I'm surprised by the lack of dork disk.
__________________
Bikes: 1996 Eddy Merckx Titanium EX, 1989/90 Colnago Super(issimo?) Piu(?), 1990 Concorde Aquila(hit by car while riding), others in build queue "when I get the time"





himespau is offline  
Old 08-03-11, 11:10 PM
  #3839  
Senior Member
 
mapleleafs-13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,763

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto, Pinarello Montello, Bianchi Celeste

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you also win....
mapleleafs-13 is offline  
Old 08-04-11, 12:23 AM
  #3840  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 69
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/2528791541.html

"and i will be shiny if you put light inside"

You just may be, but I will never put a light inside you.
handsthatcatch is offline  
Old 08-04-11, 01:19 AM
  #3841  
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The hot spot.
Posts: 45,616

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,207 Times in 4,372 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Is it stemshifted and I can't see the levers because I'm blind?
I think they forgot to put the shifters on the stem when they were assembling it. They seem to be floating off in space next to the top tube.

LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 08-04-11, 07:32 AM
  #3842  
The Improbable Bulk
 
Little Darwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Posts: 8,379

Bikes: Many

Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I thought initially that the fork was backwards, but it looks like it isn't lined up backwards either, so I would guess the stem isn't tightened.
__________________
Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Little Darwin is offline  
Old 08-04-11, 07:47 AM
  #3843  
Cottered Crank
 
Amesja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,401

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleleafs-13
Here's an interesting interaction with a person on kijiji, it's funny when they try to pressure you into a sale when they say things like "someone else wants it" or "i got other people waiting", sometimes this is true but it just makes you look like you're desperate to sell. when i sell stuff online unfortunately it goes to the first person to meet up with me and show me cash, first come first serve unfortunately, cash is king.


Me:
Hey, just asking but would u accept an offer of 200$

Him:
alright 200

Me:
Do u come into Toronto often, or is the only way to see this bike is way out in oshawa?

Sent from my iPhone

Him:

From: Paul Vonk []
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2011 10:20 AM
Subject: Subject: RE: Reply to your "BIANCHI 12 SPEED"

other people are interested also so if you snooze you lose on a great bike for a great price the others didnt have only 200

Me:
I believe u didn’t answer my question, is the only way to view this bike out in Oshawa?

Him:

someone else wants itr

(at this point i had to leave out of town for a day on some business and didn't get a chance to reply for one day, so the next message below is what he sent me after just one day)


Him:
From: Paul Vonk []
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2011 7:30 PM

YOURE AN IDIOT AND WASTE OF TIME YOU NEED TO BE SPAYED
Usually when somoene low-balls me or tries to bargain on a bike they haven't even yet seen in person I just block them. Either that or I say something like, "Sure, it's yours come get it at: Some address deep on the south side that I just made up

Also, re-posting private email conversations as well as the headers on a public site is pretty low and skeezy.

Last edited by cuda2k; 08-05-11 at 02:15 PM.
Amesja is offline  
Old 08-04-11, 08:27 AM
  #3844  
Senior Member
 
mapleleafs-13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,763

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto, Pinarello Montello, Bianchi Celeste

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
everyone is entitled to their own opinion, his bike was not worth the price that he was asking, i believed that it was worth 200, which was a difference of 60 dollars from the actual listing price.

The definition of lowball is: a very low estimate or offer. So i did not really lowball this character. If i said 100 bucks or 50 bucks that would be lowballing, cause it's definitely way less than the asking price.

If you do give out random addresses to people to make them go out of their way to look for a bike, so they can only realize that they didn't get the bike and showed up at a fake address. Then who's really low and skeezy now? I mean don't be surprised if you tick off the wrong person and wake up in the morning to realize that you got broken windows on your car or someone egg's your house. IP tracking and locating someones real address isn't that hard, i definitely know people that can do it easily if they really wanted to. Unless you do a lot of IP bouncing it will not be that hard to track.

It would only be a matter of time before that happens.
mapleleafs-13 is offline  
Old 08-04-11, 08:59 AM
  #3845  
Cottered Crank
 
Amesja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,401

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
A bike is worth what someone (anyone) will pay for it -not what one customer thinks it is worth. There are other people out there in big wide world who have different ideas about what they think X bike is worth to THEM (and maybe some of them will actually take the time to LOOK at it rather than determining from a CL ad what the bike is worth and never seeing it in person).

$60 is more or less the cost of an LBS tune-up. A bike can be well-cared for, in impeccable shape, or even have been recently overhauled. It's hard to tell what shape a bike is in by just looking at a CL ad.

My bikes are probably better than 90% of the bikes on CL. All of them have been tuned -nearly all of them have had all the bearings and grease replaced. I also charge more than most others with similar bikes and I am CONSTANTLY getting jokers like you lowballing me and telling me with the authority of bozo how much my bike is worth.

usually I just delete these emails as soon as I realize it's just a junkster looking for a low-ball deal. There are plenty of junk bikes out on CL to pick through but there is no use wasting my time with these treasure-hunters.

My bikes always sell and nearly always for what I list them for or maybe $5-10 off if I like the look of the person.

I don't deal over the phone to jokers. People like that are the bane of legitimate CL sellers.
Amesja is offline  
Old 08-04-11, 09:52 AM
  #3846  
Senior Member
 
that_guy_zach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: omicron persei 8
Posts: 785
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Any email offers should always be deleted. It shows zero real interest in the bike. If you want it come and look, then make a offer.
that_guy_zach is offline  
Old 08-04-11, 10:06 AM
  #3847  
Cottered Crank
 
Amesja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,401

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by that_guy_zach
Any email offers should always be deleted. It shows zero real interest in the bike. If you want it come and look, then make a offer.
It took me only a few bikes to realize the wisdom of this. I'd heard it said here many times by experienced sellers but it took the wisdom of first-hand knowledge to really internalize it.

The trash-pickers will eat your life away one minute/email at a time if you let them in. Straight to the Junk Folder with them. It's just so much easier than dealing with these time-vultures.
Amesja is offline  
Old 08-04-11, 10:12 AM
  #3848  
Senior Member
 
ColonelJLloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Louisville
Posts: 8,343
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
I thought initially that the fork was backwards, but it looks like it isn't lined up backwards either, so I would guess the stem isn't tightened.
Darwin's right. The fork isn't backwards, but the stem is 180 degrees off. And, yeah, the shifters aren't attached. Nice work, Mr. Seller.
__________________
Bikes on Flickr
I prefer email to private messages. You can contact me at justinhughes@me.com
ColonelJLloyd is offline  
Old 08-04-11, 10:17 AM
  #3849  
Cottered Crank
 
Amesja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,401

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
Darwin's right. The fork isn't backwards, but the stem is 180 degrees off. And, yeah, the shifters aren't attached. Nice work, Mr. Seller.
The brake caliper is on the "backside" of the fork which pretty much says to me that the quill & bars are either loose and spinning or they are tighened up in the wrong spot.

The fact that the shifter levers are just floating around and there is a zip-tie on the back wheel where what looks like the original vendor tag once sat makes me think that this seller is selling a bike that isn't even rolling. They picked it up and carried to the spot where they took the picture. The bicycle is not fully assembled.

Could be the seller stole the bike out of a showroom or a warehouse and is selling it. Anyone who has even a modicum of knowledge about bikes would not let the front wheel and forks sit backwards like that for a photo so that rules out a bike shop or bike shop employee selling this bike. The pedals are probably walmart specials because the seller felt there needed to be something on there and the bike "came" without pedals.

This ad screams HOT to me.
Amesja is offline  
Old 08-04-11, 10:20 AM
  #3850  
Senior Member
 
ColonelJLloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Louisville
Posts: 8,343
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Amesja
The brake caliper is on the "backside" of the fork which pretty much says to me that the quill & bars are either loose and spinning or they are tighened up in the wrong spot.
I think the caliper is on the "front side" of the fork. The fork is just turned around and the quill tightened 180 degrees from where it should be.
__________________
Bikes on Flickr
I prefer email to private messages. You can contact me at justinhughes@me.com
ColonelJLloyd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.