Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

Old 12-13-17, 09:55 AM
  #15426  
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 39,714
Liked 16,161 Times in 7,588 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti

New tubes? And at the front fender.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 12-13-17, 07:06 PM
  #15427  
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York, NY, and High Falls, NY, USA
Posts: 40,673

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,630 Times in 1,530 Posts
Originally Posted by tarsi
THE MOST UNIQUE BIKE
There are no degrees of uniqueness. Something is either unique or it is not. Using the word "unique" as a synonym for "unusual" leaves us with no word meaning one-of-a-kind.
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 12-14-17, 06:29 PM
  #15428  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Chicago North Shore
Posts: 2,374

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Liked 652 Times in 393 Posts
https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/b...392927905.html

$199 - Up for best offer and estate find used Urago road bike. This bicycle was hand Built by the famous Urago Brothers of Nice, France featuring Vitus Steel "3 tubes" (where the primary tubes are all Vitus), Simplex drop outs and beautiful lug work. The paint has wear from all of these years and the chrome lugs do have some oxidation. This bicycle most likely dates between 1948 and 1950, Simplex components. Weight approx 30LB

I think this is at least the 2nd year this bike has been for sale.
philbob57 is offline  
Old 12-14-17, 06:39 PM
  #15429  
Senior Member
 
Piff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,487
Liked 763 Times in 415 Posts
Get your stolen bicycle parts here! Nice and cheap!

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...408317241.html
Piff is offline  
Old 12-14-17, 06:54 PM
  #15430  
Senior Member
 
xiaoman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 4,877

Bikes: A few too many

Liked 2,193 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
Get your stolen bicycle parts here! Nice and cheap!

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...408317241.html
What makes you think they are stolen....can you provide more information or is it conjecture?
Best, Ben
__________________
"EVERY PERSON IS GUILTY OF ALL THE GOOD THEY DID NOT DO"
Voltaire

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors



xiaoman1 is offline  
Old 12-14-17, 06:59 PM
  #15431  
Senior Member
 
Piff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,487
Liked 763 Times in 415 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
What makes you think they are stolen....can you provide more information or is it conjecture?
Best, Ben
Just conjecture.
Piff is offline  
Old 12-15-17, 12:39 PM
  #15432  
Senior Member
 
dweenk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,808

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Liked 337 Times in 226 Posts
I didn't know that they used reflectors and white walls on military bikes.

https://easternshore.craigslist.org/...425939880.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
scam.jpg (41.4 KB, 373 views)
dweenk is offline  
Old 12-15-17, 06:01 PM
  #15433  
BMX Connoisseur
 
cbrstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 774

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
I didn't know that they used reflectors and white walls on military bikes.

https://easternshore.craigslist.org/...425939880.html

Green = Army...Good to know.
cbrstar is offline  
Old 12-16-17, 01:12 AM
  #15434  
 
Hardrock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NoVA - DC Metro
Posts: 1,037

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...425053186.html

Ad Title - Well cared for, reliable 51" road bike.






She had a perfectly good couch. Very comfy and the cats tell me it was nicer to snooze on than the actual bed. Then she saw a fancy modern one online. And the nice, comfy couch that we all loved had to go.

Well now it's the bike's turn. *Sniff* Yes, OK, this is me, the 2013 Scattante W570, talking. Call me Scat - I'm really faster than that rodent in the movies. So, about me: After I gave her _years_ of reliable, trusty service, I'm out the door. Fast century ride? I was there. 50lb load and a slog in to work? I was there. Two computers, a bag lunch and clothes for crying out loud! She did have this big rack on my butt, that did me no favors in the looks department but I worked very well. From April all the way to Veterans' Day.

Talking of looks, I have a scratched shifter (see the pictures) - chicks dig scars, right? It cost $30 bucks to fix me, $800+ to fix her after the tumble. Oh and she managed to put a cosmetic dent in my top tube with her stem extender. I rolled my eyes when she put it on; but I worked well anyway. At least she never raced me, phew, those guys get put through the wringer.

When I got the rack taken off I was a happy camper. Little did I know I was being set up. She put on a Shimano Ultegra wheelset but otherwise my components have been with me ever since I was built. She upgrade my wheelset but then rode the living blazes out of them. On the upside, she has priced me right. Not included in the price is that cat. Unlike me, she isn't going to give her up.


About you: 5'5" ish to maybe 5'8" looking for either a womens' fit reliable bike with full 105. (I actually have a semicompact FSA triple up front - that's good for you because rings are cheaper and you get a bailout gear in Poolesville. There's a turkey buzzard up there that loves to fly with me but enough about me.) Or maybe you
are looking for a relaxed fit mens' bike, relaxed and reliable that is? Either way, help me out here, I need to find a place to live and I'm prepared to work hard for the privilege.
Hardrock23 is offline  
Old 12-16-17, 01:17 PM
  #15435  
porc, pâtisserie & piment
 
yellowbarber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Île de France
Posts: 222

Bikes: 1830 Claude Chevrier Strad model, 1915 Gibson A, 1929 Cuesnon/Beuscher Stainer model, Phil Davidson 2pt mandolin, 1970 JW Gallagher G-50, ca1920 Favilla Brothers grand concert, 2005 Swift Folder, '97 Cannondale M700

Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
cool japanese frameset, but a little oversold
"Tange I and Tange II tube sets are the top of the line quality chrome molly tubing on par with Columbus SL and Reynolds 531."
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/...390037310.html
yellowbarber is offline  
Old 12-16-17, 05:04 PM
  #15436  
WGB
 
WGB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 2,973

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Liked 2,389 Times in 1,406 Posts
Trick wheel

Plan for a long long night on the truing stand.....

per the Ad

"There's one wheel with the front fork from a mountain bike"
Attached Images
WGB is offline  
Old 12-16-17, 05:14 PM
  #15437  
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 27,550
Liked 4,571 Times in 3,395 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
Get your stolen bicycle parts here! Nice and cheap!

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...408317241.html
Looks like the stuff that packs our local bike co-op.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 12-16-17, 07:34 PM
  #15438  
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 14,505
Liked 3,516 Times in 2,288 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
I didn't know that they used reflectors and white walls on military bikes.

https://easternshore.craigslist.org/...425939880.html
-----

It's the parade version.

-----
juvela is offline  
Old 12-16-17, 09:41 PM
  #15439  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hardrock23


Not sure how I feel about a picture of a cat alongside a bike that starts with "Scat".
leoner is offline  
Old 12-17-17, 04:35 AM
  #15440  
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 14,505
Liked 3,516 Times in 2,288 Posts
-----

A scant $269.99 for a boomer Jeunet hi-tensile frameset. At first thought it a model 611 but then realised "no chrome" - must be even below that. Jeunet's counterpart to the A08:



https://picclick.com/Vintage-70s-Jeu...020490919.html

-----
juvela is offline  
Old 12-17-17, 10:59 AM
  #15441  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 763

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

A scant $269.99 for a boomer Jeunet hi-tensile frameset. At first thought it a model 611 but then realised "no chrome" - must be even below that. Jeunet's counterpart to the A08:



https://picclick.com/Vintage-70s-Jeu...020490919.html

-----
Yeah, but it’s got that aero - directional fork on it!!
Charliekeet is offline  
Old 12-17-17, 11:32 AM
  #15442  
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 14,505
Liked 3,516 Times in 2,288 Posts
Originally Posted by Charliekeet
Yeah, but it’s got that aero - directional fork on it!!
-----

Ever' BF member knows a stayer when they see one!

-----
juvela is offline  
Old 12-17-17, 03:45 PM
  #15443  
Banned.
 
Drillium Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PAZ
Posts: 12,294
Liked 4,829 Times in 1,709 Posts
Geez, how much you think I gotta pay for a pair that doesn't look like the calipers were caught in a house fire?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-MOD...53.m1438.l2649







DD
Drillium Dude is offline  
Old 12-18-17, 08:53 AM
  #15444  
Sempiternal Newb
 
tiredhands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 637

Bikes: '92 Trek 750, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '95 Stumpjumper,

Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Great photography, meh bike, absurd price.

Peugeot PX8 - $600 (north monroe) $600


https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/b...427655865.html

Vintage lugged steel bicycle made in 1984. Nearly every component on this bike is stamped or painted made in France from the frame to the hubs, wheels, handlebars, and stem. This bike has some truly eye catching details that can be seen in the photo gallery. The bike features an original pearl white paint job with blue decals. The fully chromed and crowned fork pair well with the Crome wheels, seat tube, bars and shifters. Interesting details on the bars and shifter levers are an excellent touch making the bike truly original.

The bike is rolling on brand new panaracer pasella pro 32c gum wall tires, which perfectly match the white and blue frame and tan saddle. The frame and rims accommodate fat 32c tires and fenders that make for a plush comfortable ride. A full simplex groupset with downtube shifters will keep this bike operating another 30 years.

This bike was rarely ridden and garage kept since the day it was purchased. There are a few nicks in the paint with no rust or dents. I took the bike to Joe's bike shop for a full inspection and tune up. The bike was equipped with a new chain and cassette. Since owning it I have stored the bike indoors.

Every time I have have this bike out and about people stop me to inquire about it. It feels hearty, smooth, and plush when you ride it. Its a larger size bike that will be a good fit for someone between 5'10"-6'2" the stem and seat tube can be adjusted for fit. Come take a look at it or take it for a spin.
tiredhands is offline  
Old 12-18-17, 09:32 AM
  #15445  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 377

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Liked 305 Times in 187 Posts
Originally Posted by Hardrock23
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...425053186.html

Ad Title - Well cared for, reliable 51" road bike.


She had a perfectly good couch. Very comfy and the cats tell me it was nicer to snooze on than the actual bed. Then she saw a fancy modern one online. And the nice, comfy couch that we all loved had to go.

Well now it's the bike's turn. *Sniff* Yes, OK, this is me, the 2013 Scattante W570, talking. Call me Scat - I'm really faster than that rodent in the movies. So, about me: After I gave her _years_ of reliable, trusty service, I'm out the door. Fast century ride? I was there. 50lb load and a slog in to work? I was there. Two computers, a bag lunch and clothes for crying out loud! She did have this big rack on my butt, that did me no favors in the looks department but I worked very well. From April all the way to Veterans' Day.

Talking of looks, I have a scratched shifter (see the pictures) - chicks dig scars, right? It cost $30 bucks to fix me, $800+ to fix her after the tumble. Oh and she managed to put a cosmetic dent in my top tube with her stem extender. I rolled my eyes when she put it on; but I worked well anyway. At least she never raced me, phew, those guys get put through the wringer.

When I got the rack taken off I was a happy camper. Little did I know I was being set up. She put on a Shimano Ultegra wheelset but otherwise my components have been with me ever since I was built. She upgrade my wheelset but then rode the living blazes out of them. On the upside, she has priced me right. Not included in the price is that cat. Unlike me, she isn't going to give her up.


About you: 5'5" ish to maybe 5'8" looking for either a womens' fit reliable bike with full 105. (I actually have a semicompact FSA triple up front - that's good for you because rings are cheaper and you get a bailout gear in Poolesville. There's a turkey buzzard up there that loves to fly with me but enough about me.) Or maybe you
are looking for a relaxed fit mens' bike, relaxed and reliable that is? Either way, help me out here, I need to find a place to live and I'm prepared to work hard for the privilege.
Wow, and I thought I had too much free time!

I think I might buy this just so I can meet this person and tell them to keep their day job.

Last edited by Headpost; 12-18-17 at 09:41 AM.
Headpost is offline  
Old 12-18-17, 09:34 AM
  #15446  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 377

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Liked 305 Times in 187 Posts
60' is perfect for me! Should I do it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Boom.JPG (150.2 KB, 197 views)
Headpost is offline  
Old 12-18-17, 09:42 AM
  #15447  
Keepin it Wheel
 
RubeRad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 10,286

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Liked 3,541 Times in 2,627 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Geez, how much you think I gotta pay for a pair that doesn't look like the calipers were caught in a house fire?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-MOD...53.m1438.l2649


That's interesting. Did modolo make a clone of campy delta brakes? Would look cool without the rubber hoods as well.
RubeRad is offline  
Old 12-19-17, 01:05 PM
  #15448  
WGB
 
WGB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 2,973

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Liked 2,389 Times in 1,406 Posts
Continental

Not a typo as it was at $810 so price drop

"$800
Viewed by 47 people
Schwinn continental bike 1973 great for a man cave definitely a pick for real bike lovers all original parts and tires"

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...76678299236040
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cont.jpg (122.2 KB, 132 views)
WGB is offline  
Old 12-19-17, 01:17 PM
  #15449  
Senior Member
 
cdmurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: San Marcos, CA
Posts: 550

Bikes: Too many, but sometimes not enough.

Likes: 0
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
Get your stolen bicycle parts here! Nice and cheap!

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...408317241.html

It's certainly possible they are stolen, but if you were to look through the bins of parts in my garage, you would find about the same sort of crap. (Well, slightly nicer crap, but still a lot of crap). It doesn't take too many flips, or bikes picked up cheap for parts to generate this sort of detritus.
cdmurphy is offline  
Old 12-19-17, 06:46 PM
  #15450  
Senior Member
 
2cam16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Mateo,Ca.
Posts: 4,009

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Liked 958 Times in 613 Posts
Not too wacky, but at least he got the gist of what a seatpost is made for:
Sitpost aluminum adjustable 27.2mm - $10
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bop...404070110.html
2cam16 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.