Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

eBay / CraigsList finds - "Are you looking for one of these!?" Part II

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.
View Poll Results: ...
a
1
100.00%
b
1
100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

eBay / CraigsList finds - "Are you looking for one of these!?" Part II

Old 09-15-17, 09:37 PM
  #42801  
Senior Member
 
jpaschall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 874

Bikes: 1982 Trek 613, 1988 Panasonic MC 2500, 1981 Schwinn Super Sport, 1975 Raleigh Super Course MKII, 1985 Miyata 210

Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Vic doesn't know his stuff. He claims "SunTour Superbe groupset" which seems to consist solely of a rear derailleur. Front is a Mountech and everything else is Sugino and DiaCompe, and for that price he is not even providing bolts in the bottle bosses.
Good eye. I didn't read where he said "Superbe group".
jpaschall is offline  
Old 09-15-17, 09:39 PM
  #42802  
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 6,938

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Liked 2,452 Times in 1,559 Posts
He actually used the term "groupset," which is another strike against him in my book.
thumpism is offline  
Old 09-15-17, 09:57 PM
  #42803  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 833

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Suberbe, '92 (German) Centurion Equipe, '85 Schwinn Peloton, 1983ish Zunow Road Racer project, '69 Squanch Super Tourer, 1980 Bianchi Super Corsa, '82 Austro-Daimler Vent Noir, '89 Miyata 914 project, 1982ish Bianchi Rallye

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
He actually used the term "groupset," which is another strike against him in my book.
What's wrong with that? You have to say "group" or "gruppo"? (Honest question to educate myself.)
artclone is offline  
Old 09-16-17, 05:46 AM
  #42804  
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 6,938

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Liked 2,452 Times in 1,559 Posts
Originally Posted by artclone
What's wrong with that? You have to say "group" or "gruppo"? (Honest question to educate myself.)
There are threads about this. Redundancy. "Group" and "gruppo" have served well for decades and now we need to say groupset? As I've stated elsewhere, if you expanded the scope of the concept you'd be saying things like leverhandle, seatsaddle, paintfinish and bikecycle.
thumpism is offline  
Old 09-16-17, 07:11 AM
  #42805  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 833

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Suberbe, '92 (German) Centurion Equipe, '85 Schwinn Peloton, 1983ish Zunow Road Racer project, '69 Squanch Super Tourer, 1980 Bianchi Super Corsa, '82 Austro-Daimler Vent Noir, '89 Miyata 914 project, 1982ish Bianchi Rallye

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
There are threads about this. Redundancy. "Group" and "gruppo" have served well for decades and now we need to say groupset? As I've stated elsewhere, if you expanded the scope of the concept you'd be saying things like leverhandle, seatsaddle, paintfinish and bikecycle.
Gotcha. I think I'll stop saying it!
artclone is offline  
Old 09-16-17, 07:13 AM
  #42806  
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 15,320

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
There are threads about this. Redundancy. "Group" and "gruppo" have served well for decades and now we need to say groupset? As I've stated elsewhere, if you expanded the scope of the concept you'd be saying things like leverhandle, seatsaddle, paintfinish and bikecycle.
Thumpism is persnickety about terminology
__________________
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Auto-pause is a honey-tongued devil whispering sweet lies in your ear.


seedsbelize is offline  
Old 09-16-17, 08:28 AM
  #42807  
Senior Member
 
Steve Whitlatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 3,455
Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts
Campagnolo calls them groupsets. https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en
__________________
My bikes: 1970`s Roberts - 1981 Miyata 912 - 1980`s Ocshner (Chrome) - 1987 Schwinn Circuit - 1987 Schwinn Prologue - 1992 Schwinn Crosspoint - 1999 Schwinn Circuit - 2014 Cannondale Super Six EVO
Steve Whitlatch is offline  
Old 09-16-17, 08:36 AM
  #42808  
Port
 
Rocket-Sauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 6,769

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Liked 2,070 Times in 1,154 Posts
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bi...308184514.html

Vintage Raleigh International - $650 (Belmont, MA)









© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
Bartlett Ave
(google map)

A good example of the famous Raleigh International. This model was known for its long wheelbase comfort, chrome lugs and fine lines. This one dates from 1972 and is 23.5 inches center to top. Tubing is Reynolds 531 throughout. Components are stock campagnolo with weinman brakes per catalog spec, Newish 700c Mavic Open Sport rims.
This is not a barn find but rather a usable ride anywhere bicycle.
650.00 or reasonable offer.
Call or Text only: 602-499-6393
Cash only, Local only.
Rocket-Sauce is offline  
Old 09-16-17, 08:53 AM
  #42809  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Colin Laing

YAY I finally get to post links

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/bi...306873526.html

A nice looking Colin Laing for a nice price from a nice guy named Jack. I was going to look at it but work called and I can't. Figured I'd open it to you guys to take it before I have 8 instead of 7 bikes sitting in my living room lol.

I think he had this posted several years back for $100s more and he has brought down his price a little bit.

I E-mail him and he said:
Dropouts are Campagnolo.

Wheels are:
Front: Shimano hub Fiamme rim MM Atom skewer.
Rear: Normandy hub Fiamme rim campy skewer regina cluster.

Here's the rest of his CL post

74 Colin Laing custom bicycle, 22", tight rear triangle.
Reynolds 531 throughout.
Built by renouned frame builder Colin Laing in England before his move to Arizona.
Mostly Campagnolo Record components incl crankset and chainrings, brakes, shifters, headset, seat post.
Campy super record pedals.
A set of my old training wheels are on the bike. Campy skewers (I believe). 10 speed setup.
TTT titanium bottom bracket axle

I built the bike in 1974 for mainly criterium races. Fork is angled more like a road bike, allowing use for longer road races and training. Tubular tires. I had other bikes for riding around town and training in the rain. Brakes are set up for a criterium, so rear cluster can be shifted right hand and rear brake squeezed left hand. Rear brake under stays because....cool and lower moment when turning. Saved me 0.00000002 mili seconds in a 10 mile race!

Bike is rideable. Never crashed.

Feel free to ask for specific measurements or pictures or to come evaluate it. It has spent most of its life hanging in my basement.

Asking $400.

***Leave a Telephone Number. I'm not responding to gmail phishers I still have it***







Last edited by Quantumxl; 09-16-17 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Added more images
Quantumxl is offline  
Old 09-16-17, 09:13 AM
  #42810  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 833

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Suberbe, '92 (German) Centurion Equipe, '85 Schwinn Peloton, 1983ish Zunow Road Racer project, '69 Squanch Super Tourer, 1980 Bianchi Super Corsa, '82 Austro-Daimler Vent Noir, '89 Miyata 914 project, 1982ish Bianchi Rallye

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Whitlatch
Campagnolo calls them groupsets. https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en
Well now I don't know what to say, lol.

I understand the frustration with redundant phrasing though. At work people always say they want an "SSD drive" when SSD stands for Solid State Drive or to send something via "FTP protocol" when FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol. There's tons of examples like this I'm sure.

I took a class by NPR linquist Geoffrey Nunberg and he told us to forget grammar "rules" and focus on being understood.
artclone is offline  
Old 09-16-17, 09:16 AM
  #42811  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 833

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Suberbe, '92 (German) Centurion Equipe, '85 Schwinn Peloton, 1983ish Zunow Road Racer project, '69 Squanch Super Tourer, 1980 Bianchi Super Corsa, '82 Austro-Daimler Vent Noir, '89 Miyata 914 project, 1982ish Bianchi Rallye

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Cool bike and it sounds like the owner would be a hoot to chat with.

Originally Posted by Quantumxl
YAY I finally get to post links

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/bi...306873526.html

A nice looking Colin Laing for a nice price from a nice guy named Jack. I was going to look at it but work called and I can't. Figured I'd open it to you guys to take it before I have 8 instead of 7 bikes sitting in my living room lol.

I think he had this posted several years back for $100s more and he has brought down his price a little bit.

I E-mail him and he said:
Dropouts are Campagnolo.

Wheels are:
Front: Shimano hub Fiamme rim MM Atom skewer.
Rear: Normandy hub Fiamme rim campy skewer regina cluster.

Here's the rest of his CL post

74 Colin Laing custom bicycle, 22", tight rear triangle.
Reynolds 531 throughout.
Built by renouned frame builder Colin Laing in England before his move to Arizona.
Mostly Campagnolo Record components incl crankset and chainrings, brakes, shifters, headset, seat post.
Campy super record pedals.
A set of my old training wheels are on the bike. Campy skewers (I believe). 10 speed setup.
TTT titanium bottom bracket axle

I built the bike in 1974 for mainly criterium races. Fork is angled more like a road bike, allowing use for longer road races and training. Tubular tires. I had other bikes for riding around town and training in the rain. Brakes are set up for a criterium, so rear cluster can be shifted right hand and rear brake squeezed left hand. Rear brake under stays because....cool and lower moment when turning. Saved me 0.00000002 mili seconds in a 10 mile race!

Bike is rideable. Never crashed.

Feel free to ask for specific measurements or pictures or to come evaluate it. It has spent most of its life hanging in my basement.

Asking $400.

***Leave a Telephone Number. I'm not responding to gmail phishers I still have it***






artclone is offline  
Old 09-16-17, 09:23 AM
  #42812  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 833

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Suberbe, '92 (German) Centurion Equipe, '85 Schwinn Peloton, 1983ish Zunow Road Racer project, '69 Squanch Super Tourer, 1980 Bianchi Super Corsa, '82 Austro-Daimler Vent Noir, '89 Miyata 914 project, 1982ish Bianchi Rallye

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Sm Lotus Unique $350

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik...308333478.html


artclone is offline  
Old 09-16-17, 09:28 AM
  #42813  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 5,235

Bikes: many

Liked 1,468 Times in 811 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Whitlatch
Campagnolo calls them groupsets. https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en
Not like they've ever been wrong about anything.
__________________
Monti Special
smontanaro is offline  
Old 09-16-17, 09:29 AM
  #42814  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 948
Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
https://vermont.craigslist.org/bik/d...287248395.html

Trek 620 for $150......doesn't have original bars on it but who cares?
Pemetic2006 is offline  
Old 09-16-17, 09:30 AM
  #42815  
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 6,938

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Liked 2,452 Times in 1,559 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Whitlatch
Campagnolo calls them groupsets. https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en
You guys worship Sheldon Brown, so take a look at his glossary:

Groupset, Group Set
Redundant term for "group." More common in British usage than American.
thumpism is offline  
Old 09-16-17, 10:57 AM
  #42816  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gruppo vs Groupset

I don't know the difference but on a lighter note here is a 1990's RX100 gruppo/groupset/group/etc on Ebay for $100.

Shimano RX100 7 Speed Gruppo headset cassette brakes crankset derailleur | eBay

Last edited by Quantumxl; 09-16-17 at 11:21 AM.
Quantumxl is offline  
Old 09-16-17, 12:45 PM
  #42817  
Senior Member
 
dweenk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,808

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Liked 337 Times in 226 Posts
Paramount PDG in Delaware

If I was in the market, I'd take a look - $250.

https://delaware.craigslist.org/bik/...308152906.html
dweenk is offline  
Old 09-16-17, 12:56 PM
  #42818  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Worcester, MA, USA
Posts: 417

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Liked 132 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bi...302229601.html


Classic Bianci Touring Bike - $250 (Wakefield)




© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map)

condition: excellent
make / manufacturer: Bianci
Classic Bianci Touring Bike
Steel Frame
Downtube shifters
Front and Rearracks

Size: 58cm/22.5" (good for 5'9 - 6'3")
Neat bike! I've never heard of Mountech dérailleurs before. A quick google says they're a Suntour product designed for mountain bikes.
RichSPK is offline  
Old 09-16-17, 01:17 PM
  #42819  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Worcester, MA, USA
Posts: 417

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Liked 132 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
This one is a 59cm. I want 56 or 57cm. I have a 53cm which is too small for me, but I'm making it work with handlebar and stem magic.
When you're done, that's my size...
RichSPK is offline  
Old 09-16-17, 06:07 PM
  #42820  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So. If you have stilts here is a Schwinn Voyageur that might be worth looking at for $100. I cant really identify the parts on this thing.

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/bik/6309006251.html


Last edited by Quantumxl; 09-16-17 at 06:10 PM.
Quantumxl is offline  
Old 09-16-17, 06:10 PM
  #42821  
Senior Member
 
ascherer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Manhattan & Woodstock NY
Posts: 2,865

Bikes: 2024 A Homer Hilsen, 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Liked 3,336 Times in 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
You guys worship Sheldon Brown, so take a look at his glossary
__________________
2024 A Homer Hilsen, 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, 197? Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1971 Raleigh International, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mark I
Curator/Team Mechanic: 2016 Dawes Streetfighter, 1984 Lotus Eclair, 1975 Motobecane Jubile Mixte, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1973 Free Spirit Ted Williams, 1972 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Philips Sport






ascherer is offline  
Old 09-16-17, 08:47 PM
  #42822  
Senior Member
 
Vintage_Cyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Big Apple
Posts: 1,432

Bikes: yes

Likes: 0
Liked 434 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Vic doesn't know his stuff. He claims "SunTour Superbe groupset" which seems to consist solely of a rear derailleur. Front is a Mountech and everything else is Sugino and DiaCompe, and for that price he is not even providing bolts in the bottle bosses.
That Superbe Tech rear derailleur isn't even anything to write home about either.
Vintage_Cyclist is offline  
Old 09-17-17, 04:37 AM
  #42823  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 29
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Bridgestone RB-1 in Dallas, 53cm. Pricey but sweet.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bi...307802547.html
wdarner is offline  
Old 09-17-17, 10:08 AM
  #42824  
Senior Member
 
Kactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 2,519

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Good price on an early Peugeot PX-10 in San Francisco. Closer to '69 than the advertised '79.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik...308633753.html
Kactus is offline  
Old 09-17-17, 11:30 AM
  #42825  
Senior Member
 
2cam16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Mateo,Ca.
Posts: 4,018

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Liked 976 Times in 619 Posts
If only Sebastopol wasn't too far north of me:

Centurion bicycle - $50 (sebastopol)

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik...309687190.html
2cam16 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.