Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

eBay / CraigsList finds - "Are you looking for one of these!?" Part II

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.
View Poll Results: ...
a
1
100.00%
b
1
100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

eBay / CraigsList finds - "Are you looking for one of these!?" Part II

Old 10-10-17, 06:19 PM
  #43276  
 
Hardrock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NoVA - DC Metro
Posts: 1,036

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...340816617.html

CrissCross $100





Is it supposed to be like that? I never really looked at the other ones I have seen.
Hardrock23 is offline  
Old 10-10-17, 07:47 PM
  #43277  
Senior Member
 
camelopardalis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: People's Republic of California
Posts: 502

Bikes: Some

Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Just noticed that you live in Santa Cruz. I hope you and your loved ones are away from the fires.

Originally Posted by norcalmike
Here is the reply I got from him.



Hello Mike,


My father-in-law is using my email to sell this bike on craigslist. He told me to tell anyone if they’re interested in looking at the bike he will be available this weekend… And that he’s caring for his grandkids this week :-).


I have your phone number and I will pass it along to him, So that he can call you this weekend and set something up?


Johnathan
camelopardalis is offline  
Old 10-10-17, 07:54 PM
  #43278  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 386

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Liked 311 Times in 191 Posts
Trek 760 Road Bike GREAT CONDITION Tuned & Ready To Ride - $650 (Ditmas Park)

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/b...337922081.html

At $650 I guess it's not a screaming bargain, but since it's another bicycle I'd really like to own, I'm posting it here. (Instead of buying it, I guess.)
Headpost is offline  
Old 10-10-17, 08:00 PM
  #43279  
Full Member
 
norcalmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Marina
Posts: 393

Bikes: A bunch

Liked 155 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by camelopardalis
Just noticed that you live in Santa Cruz. I hope you and your loved ones are away from the fires.
We are safe and sound in Santa Cruz. Thank You
norcalmike is offline  
Old 10-10-17, 08:22 PM
  #43280  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Alameda, California, USA
Posts: 397
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Exact same response I got. I emailed him back asking him if he knew why the pictures were the same and got no response.

Originally Posted by norcalmike
Here is the reply I got from him.



Hello Mike,


My father-in-law is using my email to sell this bike on craigslist. He told me to tell anyone if they’re interested in looking at the bike he will be available this weekend… And that he’s caring for his grandkids this week :-).


I have your phone number and I will pass it along to him, So that he can call you this weekend and set something up?


Johnathan
Dougbloch is offline  
Old 10-10-17, 10:17 PM
  #43281  
Senior Member
 
jeirvine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 3,338

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Liked 526 Times in 284 Posts
Purple Comp in DC: $250

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...341374607.html

__________________
The man who dies with the most toys…is dead. - Rootboy
jeirvine is offline  
Old 10-11-17, 03:46 AM
  #43282  
Port
 
Rocket-Sauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 6,769

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Liked 2,070 Times in 1,154 Posts
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bi...341121430.html

50 cm Bianchi steel road bike beautiful - $350







© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map)

Beautiful celeste Bianchi road bike with Columbus SLX steel tubing which was top of the line when new. Shimano 600 components. A few scratches but little to no rust. Chrome looks great. Made in Italy.

50 cm seat tube (center to top)
51 cm top tube (center to center)
Fits someone in the 5'0 to 5'5 range.

I'm keeping the seat because it fits me well but I have another Bianchi black seat in good condition that will be included.
Thanks
do NOT contact me with unsolicited servic
Rocket-Sauce is offline  
Old 10-11-17, 07:00 AM
  #43283  
Senior Member
 
papaStrudel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 81

Bikes: '73 Motobecane Mirage, '94 GT Karakoram, '14 Surly Pugsley

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://denver.craigslist.org/bik/d/...340601461.html

papaStrudel is offline  
Old 10-11-17, 08:59 AM
  #43284  
Port
 
Rocket-Sauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 6,769

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Liked 2,070 Times in 1,154 Posts
^^^$100 cheaper...

....and still about $100 overpriced IMO



https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bi...338765553.html

Raleigh Team USA Road Bike 58cm Mint Condition - $350 (Boston)







© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
Boylston St
(google map)

condition: like new
make / manufacturer: Raleigh
model name / number: Team USA
size / dimensions: 58"
Recently tuned perfect condition Raleigh Team USA Road Bike
Never ridden in bad weather, always stored indoors on wood flooring

58cm
Reply through CL or

Text:
774-nine-30-2913
Rocket-Sauce is offline  
Old 10-11-17, 09:01 AM
  #43285  
Port
 
Rocket-Sauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 6,769

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Liked 2,070 Times in 1,154 Posts
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bi...341540678.html


Specialized Allez Elite bicycle - $125 (Medford)



© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map)

condition: good
make / manufacturer: Specialized
model name / number: Allez Elite
In good shape but I don't ride on the road any more.
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
Rocket-Sauce is offline  
Old 10-11-17, 12:34 PM
  #43286  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South of the Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 4,214
Liked 2,406 Times in 1,379 Posts
Tiny and cheap.

1993 Specialized Rockhopper - $30 (Rochester, MN)

https://rmn.craigslist.org/bik/d/spe...329235801.html

Clang is offline  
Old 10-11-17, 12:38 PM
  #43287  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South of the Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 4,214
Liked 2,406 Times in 1,379 Posts
Vintage 60cm French Bike - $135 (St Louis Park, MN)

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...342076224.html

Clang is offline  
Old 10-11-17, 12:40 PM
  #43288  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South of the Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 4,214
Liked 2,406 Times in 1,379 Posts
1996 Trek 750 - $78 (minneapolis, MN)

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...340785444.html

Clang is offline  
Old 10-11-17, 01:13 PM
  #43289  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 386

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Liked 311 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bi...341540678.html


Specialized Allez Elite bicycle - $125 (Medford)



© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map)

condition: good
make / manufacturer: Specialized
model name / number: Allez Elite
In good shape but I don't ride on the road any more.
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
I could have sworn that model was called the "Epic," and I used to own one. I guess the name on the frame confused me. (Really. I'm not sure.) Anyway, $125 is a great deal for any reasonable-quality road bike in reasonable condition, but . . . as anyone who's ever ridden one of these . . . it's been a long time and they've learned a lot about making . . . whether or not a frame appeals to an individual rider depends on a lot of factors and is of course subjective. . . Oh, what the hell, those frames are terrible--in my opinion.

EDIT: I really don't want to offend anyone. Maybe it was just mine that was defective or something. At first I thought I liked it, but when I remember riding it now it's like one of those nightmares where the monster is coming to get you and and you run and run (or in this case pedal and pedal) and never get anywhere. Personal stuff, in other words. Please accept my apology.

Last edited by Headpost; 10-11-17 at 01:26 PM.
Headpost is offline  
Old 10-11-17, 02:12 PM
  #43290  
Old Boy
 
DQRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,127

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Liked 1,719 Times in 613 Posts
Originally Posted by Headpost
I could have sworn that model was called the "Epic," and I used to own one. I guess the name on the frame confused me. (Really. I'm not sure.) Anyway, $125 is a great deal for any reasonable-quality road bike in reasonable condition, but . . . as anyone who's ever ridden one of these . . . it's been a long time and they've learned a lot about making . . . whether or not a frame appeals to an individual rider depends on a lot of factors and is of course subjective. . . Oh, what the hell, those frames are terrible--in my opinion.

EDIT: I really don't want to offend anyone. Maybe it was just mine that was defective or something. At first I thought I liked it, but when I remember riding it now it's like one of those nightmares where the monster is coming to get you and and you run and run (or in this case pedal and pedal) and never get anywhere. Personal stuff, in other words. Please accept my apology.
The thing about these metal-lugged carbon fiber frames is that they don't retain their structural integrity for very long. The adhesive joints are the weak link here. That's why they got away from that process and started building the entire frame as one integrated piece. The bonded aluminum frames have the same issue, or so I've read.

I didn't keep my Raleigh Technium Peak MTB long enough for it to degrade at all, so I'm not talking from experience here. And the only thing I remember about the modern Scott Sub-10 that I rode for awhile was how darned stiff it was! Especially with that stupid, straight fork.

Steel is real, tried and true... and it's good enough for me.


__________________

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.


USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
DQRider is offline  
Old 10-11-17, 02:20 PM
  #43291  
Senior Member
 
bargainguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Trekland
Posts: 2,290
Liked 349 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Headpost
. . . Oh, what the hell, those frames are terrible--in my opinion...
Terrible why? That's an awfully subjective assessment with no rational basis given for your opinion.

Early carbon tube/alu lug frames are a bit of a mixed bag. On one hand, if you're afraid of the frames falling apart, doesn't matter how well they ride, it's like a time bomb waiting to go off. While I have heard of carbon/alu frames failing, I've never seen one do so. So whether or not it happens, perception is reality.

On the other hand, the ride can be a little dull, which if you're used to a nice lively steel frame can be off-putting. But sometimes it's better if you have less than perfect road surfaces, as it mutes the chatter.

I've flipped a bunch of these composite bikes - Trek, Spesh, Miyata, Univega - and never had a problem selling one for a reasonable price. The main problem I see in selling one is with owners who think that because part of the frame is carbon, it's like gold, and priced to match. I see overpriced examples of these more often than not.
bargainguy is offline  
Old 10-11-17, 05:01 PM
  #43292  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 386

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Liked 311 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy
Terrible why? That's an awfully subjective assessment with no rational basis given for your opinion.

Early carbon tube/alu lug frames are a bit of a mixed bag. On one hand, if you're afraid of the frames falling apart, doesn't matter how well they ride, it's like a time bomb waiting to go off. While I have heard of carbon/alu frames failing, I've never seen one do so. So whether or not it happens, perception is reality.

On the other hand, the ride can be a little dull, which if you're used to a nice lively steel frame can be off-putting. But sometimes it's better if you have less than perfect road surfaces, as it mutes the chatter.

I've flipped a bunch of these composite bikes - Trek, Spesh, Miyata, Univega - and never had a problem selling one for a reasonable price. The main problem I see in selling one is with owners who think that because part of the frame is carbon, it's like gold, and priced to match. I see overpriced examples of these more often than not.
Sorry, sorry, I shouldn't have said that. I just have bad memories of that bike. Nothing ever felt right on it; maybe I just never got the setup right. I had bought it new, and tried so hard to like it, so when I did finally admit to myself that I didn't like it, it was this cathartic experience . . . like telling a parent you hate them for the first time? Maybe not.

Years later I read a post that another rider, a racer, had written about his Epic, and I forget the numbers involved, but when he timed himself over a known course he said that he was significantly faster when he switched bicycles. A dull ride is the perfect way to put it. A dull, soul-stealing ride.
Headpost is offline  
Old 10-11-17, 05:18 PM
  #43293  
Senior Member
 
Andy_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 14,931

Bikes: Yes

Liked 4,234 Times in 1,562 Posts
If I weren't already over budget and out of garage space I would be seriously considering this:

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...342291755.html

1974 Raleigh International - $750 (SE portland)

__________________
My Bikes
Andy_K is offline  
Old 10-11-17, 07:13 PM
  #43294  
Old Boy
 
DQRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,127

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Liked 1,719 Times in 613 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
If I weren't already over budget and out of garage space I would be seriously considering this:

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...342291755.html

1974 Raleigh International - $750 (SE portland)

You and me both, brother. Dayum, but that is a pretty bike!


__________________

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.


USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
DQRider is offline  
Old 10-11-17, 07:27 PM
  #43295  
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 6,938

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Liked 2,452 Times in 1,559 Posts
Tall tourer.

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/bi...333118093.html

VINTAGE RARE LOTUS ECLAIR 18 SPEED TOURING BICYCLE NEAT LOOK !!!!!!!! - $249 (bolton,mass)




up for sale is a neat vintage lotus eclair 18 speed touring bicycle. all orig. and from orig. owner too. needs a little bit of cleaning but ready to ride. google these bikes for all sorts of interesting info. overall pretty good shape including paint. this is a neat bike and somewhat very rare.
thumpism is offline  
Old 10-11-17, 07:43 PM
  #43296  
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 6,938

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Liked 2,452 Times in 1,559 Posts
https://lexington.craigslist.org/bik...339567890.html

Raleigh super course VINTAGE - $200 (Lexington)



Early 1970's vintage raleigh super course. Just overhauled. Newbtores and tubes, new shimano derailers. Super clean bike. 200 obo
show contact info
thumpism is offline  
Old 10-11-17, 07:53 PM
  #43297  
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 6,938

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Liked 2,452 Times in 1,559 Posts
Nice Follis.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bi...342619774.html

Follis Road Bike - $165 (Cincinnati)



condition: excellent

FOLLIS road bike - Lightweight 23.5 inch (59 cm.) chromoly lugged frame, 27 inch Mavic alloy wheels, 10 speed. Nervar and Suntour components. Bar end shifters. Quick release wheels. New seat. A quality classic road bike that rides, shifts and brakes fine and is in excellent overall shape.
thumpism is offline  
Old 10-11-17, 08:19 PM
  #43298  
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 6,938

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Liked 2,452 Times in 1,559 Posts
Nice 520. My wife had one of these.

https://hartford.craigslist.org/bik/...321473196.html

27" trek road bike - $200 (East Hartford)



condition: excellent

Wheel size is 27 in. Comes with front and rear lights. If you are interested or have any questions, let me know by texting/calling
show contact info .
thank you for your time. -joseph
thumpism is offline  
Old 10-11-17, 08:21 PM
  #43299  
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 6,938

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Liked 2,452 Times in 1,559 Posts
https://hartford.craigslist.org/bik/...339274391.html

Raliegh Super Course MK II - $300 (New Britain)



Farmington Ave

condition: good
make / manufacturer: Raliegh
model name / number: Super Course MK II

Up for sale 1976 Raliegh Super Course MK II.
All original, good condition. Frame size 25", top tube 22"
See pictures for details.
Email contact only.
thumpism is offline  
Old 10-12-17, 03:47 AM
  #43300  
Eccentric Old Man
 
eom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: BelleVegas, IL
Posts: 719

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Likes: 0
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
Tall Panasonic 1000 Sport

$125.00

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/bik/d...342592545.html

Not mine, I would need a carriage stone to mount it.

__________________
email:
bikeforums@protonmail.com



Last edited by eom; 10-12-17 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Price
eom is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.