Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

eBay / CraigsList finds - "Are you looking for one of these!?" Part II

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.
View Poll Results: ...
a
1
100.00%
b
1
100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

eBay / CraigsList finds - "Are you looking for one of these!?" Part II

Old 12-14-19, 07:37 AM
  #53076  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 4,773

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1674 Post(s)
Liked 3,066 Times in 908 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
I so need that Paletti....just my patriotic thing.
Well, itís on the way to my house. Iíll post pics. I might have overpaid, but it has Cobalto brakes that I donít think people noticed, so I couldnít resist 🤫 I might have to change plans for my Eroica bike now.
__________________
N = '96 Colnago C40, '04 Wilier Alpe D'Huez, '10 Colnago EPS, '85 Merckx Pro, '89 Merckx Century, '86 Tommasini Professional, '04 Teschner Aero FX Pro, '05 Alan Carbon Cross, '86 De Rosa Professional, '82 Colnago Super, '95 Gios Compact Pro, '95 Carrera Zeus, '84 Basso Gap, Ď89 Cinelli Supercorsa, Ď83 Bianchi Specialissima, ĎVO Randonneur, Ritchey Breakaway Steel, '84 Paletti Super Prestige, Heron Randonneur

Spaghetti Legs is offline  
Old 12-14-19, 07:44 AM
  #53077  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 4,773

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1674 Post(s)
Liked 3,066 Times in 908 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
Allez Merz edition, this is on its 3rd or 4th cycle IIRC, seller cut their start price more than half this cycle. https://www.ebay.com/itm/283701086230

So this one finished with a $300 and change bid and now relisted next day with $199 opening bid. Always raises a red flag for me on a quick turnaround like that but I see it all the time. Anyway, cool bike and I think a decent deal at the last closing price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Spe...53.m1438.l2649
__________________
N = '96 Colnago C40, '04 Wilier Alpe D'Huez, '10 Colnago EPS, '85 Merckx Pro, '89 Merckx Century, '86 Tommasini Professional, '04 Teschner Aero FX Pro, '05 Alan Carbon Cross, '86 De Rosa Professional, '82 Colnago Super, '95 Gios Compact Pro, '95 Carrera Zeus, '84 Basso Gap, Ď89 Cinelli Supercorsa, Ď83 Bianchi Specialissima, ĎVO Randonneur, Ritchey Breakaway Steel, '84 Paletti Super Prestige, Heron Randonneur

Spaghetti Legs is offline  
Old 12-14-19, 07:52 AM
  #53078  
2-Wheeled Fool
 
J.Higgins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,346

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
Here's something you don't see every day:



Quite spendy though, with an $800 ask. Probably no need to rush your offer.
I'll bet those fellers over on The CABE will be all over this.
J.Higgins is offline  
Old 12-14-19, 08:07 AM
  #53079  
Full Member
 
norcalmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Marina
Posts: 393

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs
So this one finished with a $300 and change bid and now relisted next day with $199 opening bid. Always raises a red flag for me on a quick turnaround like that but I see it all the time. Anyway, cool bike and I think a decent deal at the last closing price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Spe...53.m1438.l2649
I can't be positive but I think someone was shill bidding.
there were only 2 bidders and I was one of them. I figured for that cheap I would tolerate a blue bike.
they ran me all the way up to 260 something and that's when I tapped out. My shipping would have only been 65 bucks.
funny the "buyer" didn't perform.
I messaged seller to ask what happened
no reply yet.
norcalmike is offline  
Old 12-14-19, 09:00 AM
  #53080  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 8,646

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2319 Post(s)
Liked 4,902 Times in 1,758 Posts
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs
Well, itís on the way to my house. Iíll post pics. I might have overpaid, but it has Cobalto brakes that I donít think people noticed, so I couldnít resist 🤫 I might have to change plans for my Eroica bike now.
I saw those brakes but wasn't sure since the "gem" looked so dark in the pics. I had contacted the seller with several questions but he didn't answer about the brakes and one other question. I had told myself I'd go up to a ridiculous $500 to get it and was online ready to bid there at the end. In a moment of clear reasoning I was like, "Stop it Dummy, you still have 3 other frames to build." So I didn't bid, weird for me, LOL! Glad it went to someone here and you better share lots and lots of pictures of it! Congrats
__________________
Steel is real...and comfy.
jamesdak is offline  
Old 12-14-19, 09:11 AM
  #53081  
1/2 as far in 2x the time
 
Last ride 76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northern Bergen County, NJ
Posts: 1,746

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
yepyou you've got a point.

Originally Posted by norcalmike
I can't be positive but I think someone was shill bidding.
there were only 2 bidders and I was one of them. I figured for that cheap I would tolerate a blue bike.
they ran me all the way up to 260 something and that's when I tapped out. My shipping would have only been 65 bucks.
funny the "buyer" didn't perform.
I messaged seller to ask what happened
no reply yet.
Too quickly relisted... wasn't enough time after the end of the auction for a non-paying bidder case to be opened by ebay and settled. Takes 5 days, I think minimum, from close, maybe more.
Last ride 76 is offline  
Old 12-14-19, 09:25 AM
  #53082  
1/2 as far in 2x the time
 
Last ride 76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northern Bergen County, NJ
Posts: 1,746

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
for the win

Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs
Well, itís on the way to my house. Iíll post pics. I might have overpaid, but it has Cobalto brakes that I donít think people noticed, so I couldnít resist 🤫 I might have to change plans for my Eroica bike now.
Pedals + clips and straps look good. And there are enough other bits. Saves you on shipping, with no wheels, too. I think you're in pretty safe territory, financially. Nice buyke.
Eric
Last ride 76 is offline  
Old 12-14-19, 09:28 AM
  #53083  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 4,773

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1674 Post(s)
Liked 3,066 Times in 908 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
I saw those brakes but wasn't sure since the "gem" looked so dark in the pics. I had contacted the seller with several questions but he didn't answer about the brakes and one other question. I had told myself I'd go up to a ridiculous $500 to get it and was online ready to bid there at the end. In a moment of clear reasoning I was like, "Stop it Dummy, you still have 3 other frames to build." So I didn't bid, weird for me, LOL! Glad it went to someone here and you better share lots and lots of pictures of it! Congrats
I thought maybe a little dark looking too, but at worst, replacement "gems". I bought a set of replacements for my set once that look darker than that (and no, I would not buy those again), so we'll see. I have some plans to offload some of my excess Campy stash and maybe another frame to offset the cost here, but again, we'll see - I've said that many times before! I'll post a thread after the unpacking.

BTW, seller semi-gouged me on the shipping. Listed as $50 in the ad, and I got an invoice for $76. I asked him to check shipbikes, and he came back with an even higher quote, which I highly doubt was accurate. I didn't argue and went along, but between that and 5% sales tax, left me feeling like I didn't get a great deal, but Last ride 76 you're right, there are some good bits on there to make me feel good about it!
__________________
N = '96 Colnago C40, '04 Wilier Alpe D'Huez, '10 Colnago EPS, '85 Merckx Pro, '89 Merckx Century, '86 Tommasini Professional, '04 Teschner Aero FX Pro, '05 Alan Carbon Cross, '86 De Rosa Professional, '82 Colnago Super, '95 Gios Compact Pro, '95 Carrera Zeus, '84 Basso Gap, Ď89 Cinelli Supercorsa, Ď83 Bianchi Specialissima, ĎVO Randonneur, Ritchey Breakaway Steel, '84 Paletti Super Prestige, Heron Randonneur

Spaghetti Legs is offline  
Old 12-14-19, 09:33 AM
  #53084  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 4,773

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1674 Post(s)
Liked 3,066 Times in 908 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Too quickly relisted... wasn't enough time after the end of the auction for a non-paying bidder case to be opened by ebay and settled. Takes 5 days, I think minimum, from close, maybe more.
Yeh shill bid is a likely scenario. If buyer and seller mutually agree to cancel a purchase, like a disagreement over shipping cost or "oops, I didn't mean to bid" , it would still take a couple days to sort out.
__________________
N = '96 Colnago C40, '04 Wilier Alpe D'Huez, '10 Colnago EPS, '85 Merckx Pro, '89 Merckx Century, '86 Tommasini Professional, '04 Teschner Aero FX Pro, '05 Alan Carbon Cross, '86 De Rosa Professional, '82 Colnago Super, '95 Gios Compact Pro, '95 Carrera Zeus, '84 Basso Gap, Ď89 Cinelli Supercorsa, Ď83 Bianchi Specialissima, ĎVO Randonneur, Ritchey Breakaway Steel, '84 Paletti Super Prestige, Heron Randonneur

Spaghetti Legs is offline  
Old 12-14-19, 09:52 AM
  #53085  
1/2 as far in 2x the time
 
Last ride 76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northern Bergen County, NJ
Posts: 1,746

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
"I have some plans to offload some of my excess Campy stash and maybe another frame to offset the cost here, but again, we'll see - I've said that many times before!"

You are not alone, brother...
Last ride 76 is offline  
Old 12-14-19, 09:53 AM
  #53086  
Full Member
 
norcalmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Marina
Posts: 393

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs
Yeh shill bid is a likely scenario. If buyer and seller mutually agree to cancel a purchase, like a disagreement over shipping cost or "oops, I didn't mean to bid" , it would still take a couple days to sort out.
If the other "buyer" backed out, seller would have a chance to offer it to other bidders. Since I was the only other one, I should have got a second chance offer. Shady

im going to bid again and see what happens.

Last edited by norcalmike; 12-14-19 at 09:58 AM.
norcalmike is offline  
Old 12-14-19, 11:47 AM
  #53087  
Full Member
 
norcalmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Marina
Posts: 393

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by norcalmike
If the other "buyer" backed out, seller would have a chance to offer it to other bidders. Since I was the only other one, I should have got a second chance offer. Shady

im going to bid again and see what happens.
update:
seller states: "He was in Czechoslovakia and he didn't want to pay the shipping I guess. You're interested?"

well ya. That's why I bid. Lol
norcalmike is offline  
Old 12-14-19, 11:56 AM
  #53088  
Senior Member
 
xiaoman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 4,867

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked 2,175 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by norcalmike
update:
seller states: "He was in Czechoslovakia and he didn't want to pay the shipping I guess. You're interested?"

well ya. That's why I bid. Lol
since only 2 bidders, I would offer my first bid that was higher than the person in Cz., not the second to the last bid...if he wasn't in you would have been the only bidder.
JMO, Ben
xiaoman1 is offline  
Old 12-14-19, 12:51 PM
  #53089  
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,486

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked 3,378 Times in 2,043 Posts
Campy and Shimano parts.

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bdp...033706968.html
dedhed is offline  
Old 12-14-19, 01:27 PM
  #53090  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by norcalmike
update:
seller states: "He was in Czechoslovakia and he didn't want to pay the shipping I guess. You're interested?"

well ya. That's why I bid. Lol
When something sounds fishy and the seller makes up a story to cover it, maybe using the name of a country that actually exists would be a good idea? But thatís just me.
Enjoy!
bgross is offline  
Old 12-14-19, 01:50 PM
  #53091  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 5,080

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 755 Posts
Originally Posted by bgross
When something sounds fishy and the seller makes up a story to cover it, maybe using the name of a country that actually exists would be a good idea? But thatís just me.
Enjoy!
Americans are so (notoriously?) bad at geography that Czechoslovakia ~= Czech Republic, so I'd give the seller a pass on that one.
__________________
Monti Special
smontanaro is online now  
Likes For smontanaro:
Old 12-14-19, 02:07 PM
  #53092  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,321
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Schwinn Superior

https://poconos.craigslist.org/bik/d...021171217.html
BFisher is offline  
Old 12-14-19, 02:58 PM
  #53093  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 4,773

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1674 Post(s)
Liked 3,066 Times in 908 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
Americans are so (notoriously?) bad at geography that Czechoslovakia ~= Czech Republic, so I'd give the seller a pass on that one.
Well it is a 1980ís bike.
__________________
N = '96 Colnago C40, '04 Wilier Alpe D'Huez, '10 Colnago EPS, '85 Merckx Pro, '89 Merckx Century, '86 Tommasini Professional, '04 Teschner Aero FX Pro, '05 Alan Carbon Cross, '86 De Rosa Professional, '82 Colnago Super, '95 Gios Compact Pro, '95 Carrera Zeus, '84 Basso Gap, Ď89 Cinelli Supercorsa, Ď83 Bianchi Specialissima, ĎVO Randonneur, Ritchey Breakaway Steel, '84 Paletti Super Prestige, Heron Randonneur

Spaghetti Legs is offline  
Likes For Spaghetti Legs:
Old 12-14-19, 04:22 PM
  #53094  
PM me your cotters
 
francophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: ATL
Posts: 3,241
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs
So this one finished with a $300 and change bid and now relisted next day with $199 opening bid. Always raises a red flag for me on a quick turnaround like that but I see it all the time. Anyway, cool bike and I think a decent deal at the last closing price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Spe...53.m1438.l2649
Yeah, it seems like there's a lot of seller sketchiness going on right now with the 'bay. I'm struggling with some right now over here: Need prompt advice here (possible Galmozzi content)
francophile is offline  
Old 12-14-19, 10:57 PM
  #53095  
Not lost wanderer.
 
bwilli88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lititz, Pa
Posts: 3,319

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 518 Posts
https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/bi...035551339.html
__________________
Cambodia bikes, Bridgestone SRAM 2 speed, 2012 Fuji Stratos...
bwilli88 is offline  
Old 12-14-19, 11:12 PM
  #53096  
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 22,980

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26359 Post(s)
Liked 10,335 Times in 7,179 Posts
.
...they're not on Craigslist, but if you live in or near Davis, CA and ride a 25" frame, the Bike Collective over at 4th and L has both a Raleigh Comp GS and a PX-10 hanging in the back of the shop for sale right now. Their prices are usually pretty reasonable.
3alarmer is offline  
Old 12-14-19, 11:17 PM
  #53097  
Full Member
 
norcalmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Marina
Posts: 393

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
.
...they're not on Craigslist, but if you live in or near Davis, CA and ride a 25" frame, the Bike Collective over at 4th and L has both a Raleigh Comp GS and a PX-10 hanging in the back of the shop for sale right now. Their prices are usually pretty reasonable.
I'll have to check that place out next time im in Sacramento
norcalmike is offline  
Old 12-15-19, 07:03 AM
  #53098  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 55

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite, Flandria, Pinarello Montello Cromonero, schwinn world sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Parts

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/b...037974830.html
some nice parts
Johnnybikes is offline  
Old 12-15-19, 07:34 AM
  #53099  
Full Member
 
norcalmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Marina
Posts: 393

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 80 Posts
This is cool. Bike in a box.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F254444274990

norcalmike is offline  
Likes For norcalmike:
Old 12-15-19, 07:38 AM
  #53100  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wilmette, IL
Posts: 6,878
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 350 Posts

1938-9 Baines Flying Gate Whirlwind

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F283680351864
big chainring is offline  
Likes For big chainring:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.