Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

eBay / CraigsList finds - "Are you looking for one of these!?" Part II

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

eBay / CraigsList finds - "Are you looking for one of these!?" Part II

Old 03-15-22, 06:02 PM
  #67026  
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 8,248

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2374 Post(s)
Liked 1,521 Times in 1,061 Posts
'80s 531 Raleigh with mods for $280 in VA.

https://asheville.craigslist.org/bik...456864074.html

thumpism is offline  
Likes For thumpism:
Old 03-15-22, 06:37 PM
  #67027  
Jazzyg72
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac View Post
No worries man, I did it to myself, ignored my cardinal rule, BUY, BUY, BUY!!!!

DAMN THE TORPEDOS, ENGAGE, MAKE IT SO!!!!!

You have to go balls to the walls if you are`serious, do not hesitate or question yourself in the moment.

I have plenty others that I got because of this, many great deals, many one time bikes and many in between.

You have to trust yourself and your skill, once you screw up a couple of times and get the hang of it then you will know when to truly drop the hammer.
Yeah I think I have improved on my response times to nearly immediate when I see the post now so that has definitely improved. I think a lot of what I a seeing are seller issues not replying or unwilling to work with shipping their bike. The most recent one with Bob Jackson I dotted all of my "i's" to make the entire transaction as easy as possible and the seller changed the price on me twice after we agreed on the price and money was on its way. He has since apparently ghosted me so I guess it wasnt meant to be. I feel like someone here that is really bored needs to keep a spreadsheet on transaction stats like a baseball hitter average. How many are successful, how many fail, how many attempts at bat before we walk, how many times the sellers flake etc. You get my drift. I feel like I am batting low 200's right now.
Jazzyg72 is offline  
Old 03-15-22, 07:04 PM
  #67028  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 10,468

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked 3,134 Times in 1,962 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzyg72 View Post
Yeah I think I have improved on my response times to nearly immediate when I see the post now so that has definitely improved. I think a lot of what I a seeing are seller issues not replying or unwilling to work with shipping their bike. The most recent one with Bob Jackson I dotted all of my "i's" to make the entire transaction as easy as possible and the seller changed the price on me twice after we agreed on the price and money was on its way. He has since apparently ghosted me so I guess it wasnt meant to be. I feel like someone here that is really bored needs to keep a spreadsheet on transaction stats like a baseball hitter average. How many are successful, how many fail, how many attempts at bat before we walk, how many times the sellers flake etc. You get my drift. I feel like I am batting low 200's right now.
You can't trust anyone for this except members here, PP goods and services and efbay where you have recourse. Any CL, offerup, eFB or such BS is a no go without a facilitator that you can trust.

You have to develop a good sense and feel for it which usually entails a few crappy outcomes where if you're honest they were self inflicted for not getting it right and being unrealistic.

I ran on efbay as a buyer for several hundred auctions that I sent cash in the mail and money orders for bigger ones, only got burned once along with 40 or 50 others for $47 when they skipped out.

And so it goes, the Merz frame was too easy, must have thrown me off, all I had to do was get the money and buy the damn thing.
merziac is offline  
Old 03-15-22, 07:54 PM
  #67029  
WGB
WGB
 
WGB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 4,472

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 1,162 Times in 816 Posts
Posted 4hrs ago, middle of nowhere, NY

https://oneonta.craigslist.org/bik/d...458737517.html

10 speed Legnano - $40 (Cherry Valley)

Purchased new in 1963. Campagnolo hardware. Not used in many years, some rust spots, but fully functional. Size is approximate.

WGB is offline  
Old 03-15-22, 08:01 PM
  #67030  
Jazzyg72
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac View Post
You can't trust anyone for this except members here, PP goods and services and efbay where you have recourse. Any CL, offerup, eFB or such BS is a no go without a facilitator that you can trust.

You have to develop a good sense and feel for it which usually entails a few crappy outcomes where if you're honest they were self inflicted for not getting it right and being unrealistic.

I ran on efbay as a buyer for several hundred auctions that I sent cash in the mail and money orders for bigger ones, only got burned once along with 40 or 50 others for $47 when they skipped out.

And so it goes, the Merz frame was too easy, must have thrown me off, all I had to do was get the money and buy the damn thing.
TBH I tried on several to enlist the help multiple times with the facilatators thread and posts here and got no responses. I even sent PM's to the people listed for that city and got no response at all. It was a bit frustrating as I feared the bike was going to be sold out from me and of course eventually it did when I got no responses back. I will always try that first but I hope we can get some updated contacts there for future buys.
Jazzyg72 is offline  
Old 03-15-22, 09:23 PM
  #67031  
Clang
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South of the Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 5,007
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 764 Posts

Bontrager OR - $100 (Orange, CA)
1994 Trek 950 - $100 (Orange, CA)


https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...458694935.html


Clang is offline  
Likes For Clang:
Old 03-15-22, 09:32 PM
  #67032  
Clang
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South of the Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 5,007
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 764 Posts
Good parts bike for the (little) money. "The components are mostly taken off my old Trek 520"

Nishiki - $50 (oakland hills / mills, CA)


https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik...456624772.html

Clang is offline  
Old 03-15-22, 09:42 PM
  #67033  
Clang
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South of the Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 5,007
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 764 Posts

Diamondback Apex - $140 (Kirkland, WA)


https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/b...457502125.html

Clang is offline  
Likes For Clang:
Old 03-15-22, 09:53 PM
  #67034  
WildRalph
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 158

Bikes: '85 Le tour Luxe, Puch Mixtie, Raleigh Gran Sport, Mystery Machine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB View Post
Posted 4hrs ago, middle of nowhere, NY

https://oneonta.craigslist.org/bik/d...458737517.html

10 speed Legnano - $40 (Cherry Valley)

Purchased new in 1963. Campagnolo hardware. Not used in many years, some rust spots, but fully functional. Size is approximate.

Gonna take a run at this one. 3.5 hrs away, my size, price seems right. hope its still available. Kind of a grail bike, wish it was lizard green! Not much contact info.
WildRalph is offline  
Likes For WildRalph:
Old 03-15-22, 09:56 PM
  #67035  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 10,468

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked 3,134 Times in 1,962 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzyg72 View Post
TBH I tried on several to enlist the help multiple times with the facilatators thread and posts here and got no responses. I even sent PM's to the people listed for that city and got no response at all. It was a bit frustrating as I feared the bike was going to be sold out from me and of course eventually it did when I got no responses back. I will always try that first but I hope we can get some updated contacts there for future buys.
Oh I know, its always a crap shoot, luck of the draw, yada, yada. Thats when you have to read the tea leaves, if it is challenging right out of the gate, it may be a sign.

Plenty of great folks here but you usually have to wait for help after you ask. If someone is inclined to help they normally step up early on. I might PM ya with more.
merziac is offline  
Old 03-15-22, 10:03 PM
  #67036  
Jazzyg72
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac View Post
Oh I know, its always a crap shoot, luck of the draw, yada, yada. Thats when you have to read the tea leaves, if it is challenging right out of the gate, it may be a sign.

Plenty of great folks here but you usually have to wait for help after you ask. If someone is inclined to help they normally step up early on. I might PM ya with more.
Thank you! I appreciate that. I am always open to any help or insights you may have to offer!
Jazzyg72 is offline  
Old 03-15-22, 10:04 PM
  #67037  
WildRalph
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 158

Bikes: '85 Le tour Luxe, Puch Mixtie, Raleigh Gran Sport, Mystery Machine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by WildRalph View Post
Gonna take a run at this one. 3.5 hrs away, my size, price seems right. hope its still available. Kind of a grail bike, wish it was lizard green! Not much contact info.
Can someone plz offer an opinion...? Take a look at where top tube meets the head tube lug, does that look wonky to you? bent? or just optical illusion, perhaps fisheye lens...
WildRalph is offline  
Old 03-15-22, 10:42 PM
  #67038  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 10,468

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked 3,134 Times in 1,962 Posts
Originally Posted by WildRalph View Post
Can someone plz offer an opinion...? Take a look at where top tube meets the head tube lug, does that look wonky to you? bent? or just optical illusion, perhaps fisheye lens...
Looks wonky from here. Go to the ad, click on the pic, right click, view image, click the + cursor on the head lug, wonky I think.
merziac is offline  
Old 03-15-22, 11:01 PM
  #67039  
WildRalph
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 158

Bikes: '85 Le tour Luxe, Puch Mixtie, Raleigh Gran Sport, Mystery Machine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac View Post
Looks wonky from here. Go to the ad, click on the pic, right click, view image, click the + cursor on the head lug, wonky I think.
Thank You! That's what i thought. A very strategic omission by seller. Hmmmm decisions, decisions... still worth the ask! Get out the torch! Lol
WildRalph is offline  
Old 03-15-22, 11:31 PM
  #67040  
gaucho777 
Senior Member
 
gaucho777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 7,175

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 392 Posts
I don't have the time to check this out this week, or I'd have kept quiet about this one. It's only a few miles from me. Anyway, unless I'm mistaken, here's what appears to be a Teledyne Ti with a hodge-podge of parts, including a Campagnolo Super Record RD, a nice triple Avocet crank, Campagnolo headset, and some other worthwhile parts. Needs some TLC. Asking $550.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik...457951411.html

gaucho777 is online now  
Likes For gaucho777:
Old 03-16-22, 06:59 AM
  #67041  
attylah
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Keizer. OR
Posts: 194

Bikes: '18 Trek Fuel EX 8, '15 Surly Disc Trucker, '05 Giant TCR1 Comp, '87 Centurion Ironman Miami Vice, '86 Raleigh Mountain Tour Crested Butte, '84 Raleigh Mountain Tour Elkhorn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 40 Posts
Vitus 992 in Corvallis, Oregon

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9-080cbde3c69e

attylah is offline  
Old 03-16-22, 07:08 AM
  #67042  
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 8,248

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2374 Post(s)
Liked 1,521 Times in 1,061 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777 View Post
I don't have the time to check this out this week, or I'd have kept quiet about this one. It's only a few miles from me. Anyway, unless I'm mistaken, here's what appears to be a Teledyne Ti with a hodge-podge of parts, including a Campagnolo Super Record RD, a nice triple Avocet crank, Campagnolo headset, and some other worthwhile parts. Needs some TLC. Asking $550.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik...457951411.html

Yep, Titan. Check for cracking where the downtube narrows for the shifter band clamp and for the cable guide clamp.

https://www.bikehacks.com/vintage-ve...eledyne-titan/
thumpism is offline  
Old 03-16-22, 07:16 AM
  #67043  
DQRider 
Old Boy
 
DQRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,109

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation MTBs/ATBs.

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 405 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac View Post
No worries man, I did it to myself, ignored my cardinal rule, BUY, BUY, BUY!!!!

DAMN THE TORPEDOS, ENGAGE, MAKE IT SO!!!!!

You have to go balls to the walls if you are`serious, do not hesitate or question yourself in the moment.

I have plenty others that I got because of this, many great deals, many one time bikes and many in between.

You have to trust yourself and your skill, once you screw up a couple of times and get the hang of it then you will know when to truly drop the hammer.
I don't mean to be pedantic here, but I have to call foul on this one. Your use of the plural "walls" shows a misunderstanding of the origin of that phrase.
Let's treat this as a teachable moment?

"Balls to the wall" originated in World War Two combat pilot slang. It referred to the throttle quadrant of a fighter or bomber aircraft, something like this:



When you need to be somewhere else quickly, shoving all the "balls" on top of the various levers; controls for throttle, propeller pitch, boost, etc. forward to the firewall in the cockpit would get you there as quickly as possible. Hence, when maximum speed is necessary, you go Balls to the Wall!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program...
*
*
*
__________________

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.


USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
DQRider is offline  
Old 03-16-22, 07:28 AM
  #67044  
ehcoplex
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 676

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, '72 Peugeot PX-10, '97 Cannondale T900, '98 Peugeot Appalaches, ?? Raleigh Sports, ?? Raleigh Superbe, ?? Hercules 3sp (x2)...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 230 Posts
Px10 $75

Just a little bit closer and I'd be on it (too small, but still....). I get a real kick out of the fact that the best deals are almost always attached to misspellings!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...48538266424540


ehcoplex is offline  
Old 03-16-22, 07:38 AM
  #67045  
WGB
WGB
 
WGB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 4,472

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 1,162 Times in 816 Posts
Posted a few weeks ago but I think price just dropped yesterday

Don't know the model and paint on rear is bad but obviously a tourer
Seller claims wheels are 500c.....

​​​​​​https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...87741701408535

​​​​​​Peugeot Vintage Bicycle
$75 (was $120)
Listed 4 weeks ago in Oklahoma City, OK
Details
  • Condition
    Used good
  • Material
    Steel
  • Brand
    Peugeot
  • Bicycle wheel size
    500 c
Vintage Peugeot cool bike with its original electric light. NEEDS work. Definitely a restoration project needing new tires, chain, and bottom bracket service Pick up is in NW Oklahoma City, Summerfield addition on 122nd and Meridian. Best offers will be considered

​​​​​​


​​​​​​


​​​​​​
WGB is offline  
Old 03-16-22, 10:59 AM
  #67046  
Rocket-Sauce 
Port
 
Rocket-Sauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 8,867

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 631 Posts
$500? or $700?
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...type=top_picks
1989 Schwinn Prologue - mostly original!
$500



This Bike is a 1989 Schwinn Prologue. It is mostly original and in great shape. These bikes were made by Panasonic for Schwinn with Tange Prestige tubing. 1989 Schwinn Prologue: Frame/Fork: 54cm Schwinn Prologue Handlebars: 3T 42cm Brake Levers: Shimano Sante Brake Calipers: Shimano Sante Shifters: Shimano Sante Front Derailleur: Shimano Sante Rear Derailleur: Shimano Sante Crankset: Shimano Sante 172.5mm Hubs: Shimano Sante Rims: Wolber Hard Anodized.
$700 or best offer. Pick up in Groton.
Rocket-Sauce is offline  
Likes For Rocket-Sauce:
Old 03-16-22, 11:00 AM
  #67047  
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 8,248

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2374 Post(s)
Liked 1,521 Times in 1,061 Posts
Early Jamis Dakota for $100 in CT. Top of the line in its day and might make a nice dropbar tourer.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...04335864683168

thumpism is offline  
Old 03-16-22, 11:08 AM
  #67048  
Rocket-Sauce 
Port
 
Rocket-Sauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 8,867

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 631 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...62297344%22%7D

57cm Gianni Motta Personal
$1,700


  • Condition
    Used - Good
57cm (c-c) seat tube and top tube.
Full Campagnolo groupset.
Cinelli bars and stem.
Brownish-red leather Turbo saddle.
Mavic GP4 tubular rims.
Paint has chips here and there really nothing bad.
Chrome is in very good condition with some minor wear on the left chainstay from chain slap.
Mechanically very good condition.
Rear tire should probably be replaced.
More pictures available!
Rocket-Sauce is offline  
Likes For Rocket-Sauce:
Old 03-16-22, 11:11 AM
  #67049  
WGB
WGB
 
WGB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 4,472

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 1,162 Times in 816 Posts
POSTED AN HOUR AGO

​​​​​​https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...458983249.html

​​​​​​

Vintage Collectors CIOCC Italian Road Bike - $220 (Ballard)

I have a really unique vintage Italian road bike for sale hat I was going to rebuild but I moved to Hawaii.

This is a very sought after CIOCC with all Campagnolo including headset. Also has very unique wheels with beautiful condition hubs.

Perfect structural condition, there are no dents and the frame is straight.

Make: Ciocc
Size: 54cm
Components: Campganolo
Frame: COLUMBUS 700C Steel


Bonus: Includes a brand new Nito Stem, new compact pocket tire inflator, helmet, and rain guards.

Cash Only. Sale is Final.
Happy to Answer Any Questions









WGB is offline  
Likes For WGB:
Old 03-16-22, 11:15 AM
  #67050  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 10,468

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked 3,134 Times in 1,962 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider View Post
I don't mean to be pedantic here, but I have to call foul on this one. Your use of the plural "walls" shows a misunderstanding of the origin of that phrase.
Let's treat this as a teachable moment?

"Balls to the wall" originated in World War Two combat pilot slang. It referred to the throttle quadrant of a fighter or bomber aircraft, something like this:



When you need to be somewhere else quickly, shoving all the "balls" on top of the various levers; controls for throttle, propeller pitch, boost, etc. forward to the firewall in the cockpit would get you there as quickly as possible. Hence, when maximum speed is necessary, you go Balls to the Wall!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program...
*
*
*
Well tx for that, good to know.

That being said and despite that, my use of the plural was to emphasize the general meaning as defined by Miriam Webster, proper or otherwise.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...o%20the%20wall

Last edited by merziac; 03-16-22 at 11:26 AM.
merziac is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.