Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/)
-   -   nomenclature pet peeves (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/602446-nomenclature-pet-peeves.html)

Reynolds 11-12-09 08:26 AM


Originally Posted by bbattle (Post 10025633)
"irregardless" people who use this non-word should be shot.
"loose" instead of "lose"
"breaks" instead of "brakes" Hooked on Phonics = can't spell worth a flip

"So I bought this here pista track bike the other day." :(

Not only was it the same thing, it was the exact same thing. ??

Today's tendency to turn nouns into verbs is quite annoying. "Incentivize"? But in Shakespeare's time triple negatives were common.

"alot" It should be two words, not one. A<space>lot.

Quite putting apostrophe s after a word to denote the plural form. Just an s or es is needed. Apostrophes indicate possession or a contraction.

The correct phrase is "I couldn't care less". To say "I could care less" indicates one does care somewhat; the opposite of what the writer wishes to convey.

The bottom bracket is somewhat confusing as it refers to a particular section of the bicycle frame as well as the component that goes inside(of itself?).

Is it an axle or spindle? I've always used spindle to describe the metal rod to which the crankset is attached but othes use axle.

Group, groupe, gruppo? I suppose it depends upon whether one is talking about Shimano, Huret or Campagnolo.

One nice aspect of English is its ability to simply acquire any word it wants from any other language and make it part of the English language. The French find this to be a horrible concept but they'll still order a 'hamburger' in Paris. But not if the language police are around. ;) It is perfectly acceptable to use the word derailleur instead of derailer, provided it is spelled correctly.

Royale with cheese?

norskagent 11-12-09 08:26 AM

spindle = rotates, axle = fixed.

Ex Pres 11-12-09 08:41 AM

how about forks for your [singular] front fork?

Oldpeddaller 11-12-09 08:44 AM

Alot is a verb, isn't it?

i.e: 'To alot an alottment for the alotted time'

However, when I use this word on the Forum, it's because I'm a very poor typist and my eyesight isn't as good as it was when I was younger. I only found out how to increase the displayed font size last night, so I'm not that expert with computers either. Probably why I like bikes so much, I can still work on them and use them with my current abilities.

The Golden Boy 11-12-09 08:46 AM


Originally Posted by noglider (Post 10025031)
If you aren't a pedantic wordy like me...

Perv.






:D

Bianchigirll 11-12-09 08:50 AM

I still don't see what this thread has to do with peas or why Tom has them for pets LOL

David Newton 11-12-09 08:51 AM

I say it, but I think the word "roadster" should define the 28" wheel, rod brake bike, and "sportster" define all the different 26" x 1 3/8" clones.

At least they all have petals.

rumrunn6 11-12-09 08:53 AM

this was a fun thread to read but now it's time to put on a pair of pants and go to work. or maybe I will make cutoffs with a pair of scissors first ...

akcapbikeforums 11-12-09 09:07 AM

Then when lunch time rolls around, we can go down to
the corner cafe and order the Roast Beef Au Jus with Gravy,
the Soup du Jour of the day, and for dessert the
Pie la mode with Ice Cream.

Yum.

BLUMEANIE 11-12-09 09:13 AM

I feel the same way about people saying "Prosciutto ham" - translation Hamham. Prosciutto is the Italian word for ham. So its either Prosciutto (if it is in fact Italian) or its dry-cured ham but please, not both.

...same goes for "Panini Sandwiches"



Originally Posted by akcapbikeforums (Post 10025367)
This thread just keeps getting funnieur. :)

:roflmao2:

Zaphod Beeblebrox 11-12-09 09:16 AM

"Whats for Dessert"
"Assorted Pie a la mode"
"Ooh, I'll have that"


I don't bother with the accented letters that belong in Derailleur or Randonnee or many other frenchy words. Its just not expedient to do on an US layout keyboard. If I had that key, I might use it however.

The big thing that for the life of me I can't work out is the proper nomenclature surrounding the multi gear cluster on the rear wheel of your bike:
Each individual gear is a cog.
Is the whole mess of them put together called a Cassette? or only if its a Freehub? I always thought it was kosher to have either a Freehub Cassette or a Freewheel Cassette depending on whether it threads on or slides on.
Is it a cluster?
When you say "the freewheel" I think of a BMX or Singlespeed Freewheel...oftentimes they mean a 5 speed freewheel cassette cluster thingy crap.

mtnwkr 11-12-09 01:07 PM

The Qboda menu has something like "our special qeuso cheese sauce"... Cheese cheese?

gridplan 11-12-09 01:18 PM

"Very unique" :cry:

USAZorro 11-12-09 01:27 PM

Fenders are used to separate boats from the dock or a pier. NOT what goes over bicycle tires to protect from splash and spray. Those things are mudguards.

KonaBuyer 11-12-09 02:03 PM


Originally Posted by noglider (Post 10025031)
If you aren't a pedantic wordy


What about "pedantic wordy"?

Am I right?

tatfiend 11-12-09 02:15 PM

How about "clipless pedals". No toe clips but you do clip or lock into them and some newbies find this confusing.

"Unique" used to describe anything the user finds even slightly unusual or rare. Unless something is a custom one off item then it is not unique.

Ex Pres 11-12-09 02:22 PM

I do love putting my saddle on a seat post, which used to be the seat pin, which most cyclists now would assume to be the seat binder bolt.

7speed 11-12-09 02:23 PM


Originally Posted by Oldpeddaller (Post 10025752)
Alot is a verb, isn't it?

i.e: 'To alot an alottment for the alotted time'

However, when I use this word on the Forum, it's because I'm a very poor typist and my eyesight isn't as good as it was when I was younger. I only found out how to increase the displayed font size last night, so I'm not that expert with computers either. Probably why I like bikes so much, I can still work on them and use them with my current abilities.

Close. It's spelled "allot."

JunkYardBike 11-12-09 02:29 PM

Finally, a thread to direct all the school marms of C&V to.

(crap, did I just end my sentence with a preposition?)

JunkYardBike 11-12-09 02:30 PM


Originally Posted by Bob Barker (Post 10026360)
I do love putting my saddle on a seat post, which used to be the seat pin, which most cyclists now would assume to be the seat binder bolt.

Any educated person knows it's a pillar.

Bianchigirll 11-12-09 03:07 PM


Originally Posted by USAZorro (Post 10026166)
Fenders are used to separate boats from the dock or a pier. NOT what goes over bicycle tires to protect from splash and spray. Those things are mudguards.

OK if fenders are those thingies you used to protect boats. what do you attach the curtains to on a 56 Cadillac?

sykerocker 11-12-09 03:20 PM


Originally Posted by tatfiend (Post 10026313)
How about "clipless pedals". No toe clips but you do clip or lock into them and some newbies find this confusing.

Yeah, considering "clipless" pedals actually have mechanisms that you clip into (it does go click :)). What it doesn't have is straps that go around the shoe. So, logically, "clipless" pedals should be called "strapless" pedals . . . . . . . and the old fashioned ones with the leather straps and chrome cages should be called "clipless", as there's nothing to clip into.

Anyone out there starting to get a headache? :notamused:

sykerocker 11-12-09 03:21 PM


Originally Posted by Bianchigirll (Post 10026514)
OK if fenders are those thingies you used to protect boats. what do you attach the curtains to on a 56 Cadillac?

Curtains? You're down to living in a car? Sell a couple of bikes, woman!

Bam42685 11-12-09 03:21 PM

Every time I buy a C & V bike I ride over to the ATM machine for cash. It's easy, I just have to enter my PIN number.

sykerocker 11-12-09 03:23 PM


Originally Posted by USAZorro (Post 10026166)
Fenders are used to separate boats from the dock or a pier. NOT what goes over bicycle tires to protect from splash and spray. Those things are mudguards.

Sorry, they're only mudguards if installed on a Raleigh, Triumph, or Morgan. If you install them on a Schwinn, Harley-Davidson or Chevrolet, they're fenders.

No doubt, if you install them on a Peugeot, Voxan or Citroen there's a language constabulary that will make sure you're not trying to pollute the French language with an English word.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:09 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.