Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show your French bikes!

Reply

Old 11-29-18, 02:39 PM
  #2901  
Honusms 
Senior Member
 
Honusms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 194

Bikes: More than my husband knows about

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Originally Posted by juvela View Post
---



A feller learns something new each time when visiting the forum.

Who knew that one of our regulars was also producing cycle tyres!

-----
Found on British eBay
Honusms is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-18, 01:48 PM
  #2902  
jboisleduc
Member
 
jboisleduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Austin, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 25

Bikes: Elvish/B. Carré circa 1970, Shimano Norta Aero 1981, Shimano Aero AX 1981

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Here is the Elvish bicycle that made me fall in love with cycling. It was given to me from a coworker that had it sitting in his garage. It came from his dad, but he didnt talk to him to anymore, so i was never able to get some piece of history from the previous owner. That bike litterally changed my life... I had been biking to commute in Montreal for years, but that bike was so smooth and fast, i fell in love. Also i have to admit i find her quite pretty.. I started pedaling for fun, loving Montreal's climbs, got in better shape then i had ever been. Biking in the townships on weekends, I discovered i was a natural climber.. I could keep going on that love story but i wont haha! Lets get to more technical stuff


She went through some upgrades along the years. Got her with all Shimano 600 12 speed 1985 groupset, upgraded with dura ace 2x9speed. Frame was streched to fit a larger cassette. Upgraded the original Rigida wheelset to Campy nucleon. It has Campagnolo dropouts. Reynolds 531 tubing. French threaded cranks were retapped by Marinoni to fit standard thread clipless pedals(currently speedplay). BBcups are still french thread Shimano600, but axle was replaced. Unfortunately, i have never found the serial number on this bike, but it feels older than the 85 groupset i got it with.



Last edited by jboisleduc; 12-02-18 at 01:59 PM.
jboisleduc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-18, 02:49 PM
  #2903  
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it
 
CV-6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cardinal Country
Posts: 4,732

Bikes: Lejeune, Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré, Springfield, Motobecane, John Howard, Greg Lemond

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Oh my!! That is a stunner. And on closer inspection it is likely Carré and likely a Lejeune despite the Elvish markings. I know of another. Small wonder you like the ride.
__________________
Lynn Travers

Photos

Last edited by CV-6; 12-02-18 at 05:08 PM.
CV-6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-18, 06:21 PM
  #2904  
bertinjim 
Senior Member
 
bertinjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Niagara Region, Canada
Posts: 925

Bikes: 1960s Bertin C37, 1970s Bertin C 37

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
jboisleduc-

I think CV-6 is correct. You have a Carre/Lejeune in Elvish livery. The distinctive Carre stay caps, fishmouth dropout finish, brake bridge reinforcement and braze-on seat bolt ears all say Carre. The Lejeunes he built, however, had that particular arrangement of the top tube brake cable stops and that unique cable guide for the rear derailleur on the drive side seat stay. So cool that the bike is so meaningful to you and the lack of a serial is often the case with Carre builds. My Carre/Bertin C 37 doesn't have one either.
bertinjim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-18, 07:24 PM
  #2905  
jboisleduc
Member
 
jboisleduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Austin, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 25

Bikes: Elvish/B. Carré circa 1970, Shimano Norta Aero 1981, Shimano Aero AX 1981

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Originally Posted by bertinjim View Post
jboisleduc-

I think CV-6 is correct. You have a Carre/Lejeune in Elvish livery. The distinctive Carre stay caps, fishmouth dropout finish, brake bridge reinforcement and braze-on seat bolt ears all say Carre. The Lejeunes he built, however, had that particular arrangement of the top tube brake cable stops and that unique cable guide for the rear derailleur on the drive side seat stay. So cool that the bike is so meaningful to you and the lack of a serial is often the case with Carre builds. My Carre/Bertin C 37 doesn't have one either.
What year would you think my Carré / Elvish could be? Lynn? Jim?*
jboisleduc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-18, 10:44 PM
  #2906  
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it
 
CV-6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cardinal Country
Posts: 4,732

Bikes: Lejeune, Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré, Springfield, Motobecane, John Howard, Greg Lemond

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Based on the 531 decal, after 1973. Prior to 1979 on the other end. Those decals could have been left over but the overall characteristics of the frame tend to put the end range date on it. The cutouts in the lugs are indicative of a top of the line frame. Carré built for a lot of brands, but until this frame, I never saw another brand other than Lejeune having the seat stay cable guide as pointed out by bertinjim.
__________________
Lynn Travers

Photos
CV-6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-18, 01:15 AM
  #2907  
Tychom
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Paris, FR
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I spent the afternoon yesterday at the Alex Singer 80th birthday event. I've uploaded a gallery of photos here
Tychom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-18, 06:52 AM
  #2908  
PilotFishBob 
Senior Member
 
PilotFishBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 728

Bikes: A ridiculous number

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
^^ Wow
PilotFishBob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-18, 08:45 AM
  #2909  
djkashuba 
Senior Member
 
djkashuba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Monte Rio CA
Posts: 952

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Raleigh International, Bertin, Raleigh DL-1 1980, Colnago Super, Centurion Pro Tour, Follis, Bianchi Competizione, Zunow Di Picce, Brompton M6L, V.O. Passhunter, Don Farrell, Specialized Stumpjumper, Black Mountain Monstercros

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Outstanding. Thank you for sharing @Tychom!

-D
djkashuba is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-18, 09:43 AM
  #2910  
jboisleduc
Member
 
jboisleduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Austin, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 25

Bikes: Elvish/B. Carré circa 1970, Shimano Norta Aero 1981, Shimano Aero AX 1981

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Originally Posted by CV-6 View Post
Based on the 531 decal, after 1973. Prior to 1979 on the other end. Those decals could have been left over but the overall characteristics of the frame tend to put the end range date on it. The cutouts in the lugs are indicative of a top of the line frame. Carré built for a lot of brands, but until this frame, I never saw another brand other than Lejeune having the seat stay cable guide as pointed out by bertinjim.
Thank you so much for all the info! It has always been so special to me but knowing nothing about its history was sad. I begged the guy that sold it to me to put me in contact with his dad who gave it to him but he formally refused to talk to him. Now i know a lot more and i love it even more. I always thought it was built by a "mason" or so. Especially with the "fabrication francaise" decal with the hammer, there something magic about this bike... Well, now i know who built it and i get a confirmation that its special. I was offered money for it several times back in Montreal, i always said even a few thousands dollars wouldnt convince me. Im so glad i held on to it. Thank again! You made my day

Last edited by jboisleduc; 12-03-18 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Correction
jboisleduc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-18, 10:48 AM
  #2911  
greg3rd48 
Senior Member
 
greg3rd48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bronx, NYC
Posts: 1,699

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '74 Peugeot U08, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Tychom View Post
I spent the afternoon yesterday at the Alex Singer 80th birthday event. I've uploaded a gallery of photos here
What an event that must have been. Great photos.
greg3rd48 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-18, 02:59 PM
  #2912  
bertinjim 
Senior Member
 
bertinjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Niagara Region, Canada
Posts: 925

Bikes: 1960s Bertin C37, 1970s Bertin C 37

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
jboisleduc-

I would think a very late 1960s or early 1970s production for your Carre/Lejeune/Elvish due to production details. Your bike's production details are similar to this Carre/Lejeunne:



There are further details here at Classic Factory lightweights including what is possibly Jan Janssen's TdF bike by Carre. Glad you are getting the background to the bike that the originally seller cannot or will not provide. Be aware that bikes were often re-decaled to suit racers who changed teams but not bikes. It was far easier and cheaper to re-spray and re-decal in a new livery than provide an amateur or semi-pro with new equipment.
bertinjim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-18, 03:02 PM
  #2913  
bertinjim 
Senior Member
 
bertinjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Niagara Region, Canada
Posts: 925

Bikes: 1960s Bertin C37, 1970s Bertin C 37

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Tychom -

Thank you for sharing those Singer photos. Severe bike lust.
bertinjim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-18, 08:50 PM
  #2914  
jboisleduc
Member
 
jboisleduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Austin, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 25

Bikes: Elvish/B. Carré circa 1970, Shimano Norta Aero 1981, Shimano Aero AX 1981

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Originally Posted by bertinjim View Post
jboisleduc-

I would think a very late 1960s or early 1970s production for your Carre/Lejeune/Elvish due to production details. Your bike's production details are similar to this Carre/Lejeunne:

There are further details here at Classic Factory lightweights including what is possibly Jan Janssen's TdF bike by Carre. Glad you are getting the background to the bike that the originally seller cannot or will not provide. Be aware that bikes were often re-decaled to suit racers who changed teams but not bikes. It was far easier and cheaper to re-spray and re-decal in a new livery than provide an amateur or semi-pro with new equipment.
Thanks Jim for the clues. Ive been scanning pictures of carré's bikes year by year and it really looks like its a late 60's early 70's as you said. Id say 69/70 but ill keep looking...*

I never mentionned bb shell is RGF, would it ring a bell?

Also the steerer has a piece of wood at the bottom...
I need to get that steerer off the bike and see if theres something stamped on it.

What components would you think it originally came with? Campy nuovo?

Not that im planning to bring it back to original, just curious...
jboisleduc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-18, 09:21 PM
  #2915  
deux jambes 
Senior Member
 
deux jambes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)

1982 PFN-10
deux jambes is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-18, 09:30 PM
  #2916  
bertinjim 
Senior Member
 
bertinjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Niagara Region, Canada
Posts: 925

Bikes: 1960s Bertin C37, 1970s Bertin C 37

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
jboisleduc -

RGF was used frequently by builders of that period. The wood in the steerer is typical of high end French bikes of this time. The wood plug acted as a fail safe in case the steerer column broke at the crown/steering column joint. All 3 of my PX 10s had them and I know many other owners of French bikes had the same experience. The wood plug in combination with the brake fixing bolt acted to hold the steerer column and crown in case of failure. The steerer itself may be a Nervor or Reynolds and the brand will be stamped into the steerer just above the crown joint. If it's a 69-70s frameset, the OEM equipment will be high end French: Stronglight P3 or V4 headset and a 93 crankset, Normandy HF Luxe Competition hubs, Simplex F & R Criterium derailleurs, Simplex seatpost, a Brooks or Ideale saddle, Mafac Racer Brakes, and tubular rims and tires. An alternative would be early an Campy Nuovo Record gruppo.
bertinjim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-18, 09:55 PM
  #2917  
jboisleduc
Member
 
jboisleduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Austin, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 25

Bikes: Elvish/B. Carré circa 1970, Shimano Norta Aero 1981, Shimano Aero AX 1981

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
i got her in 2004 with all 1985 shimano 600 components. now shes kind of an anachronic poutine. shes a mix of generations and origins but shes still the best climber i ever knowned...
jboisleduc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-18, 11:13 PM
  #2918  
vintagerando 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,729
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Tychom View Post
I spent the afternoon yesterday at the Alex Singer 80th birthday event. I've uploaded a gallery of photos here

Love the photos. Somewhere, somewhere hanging in a barn or shed is an Alex Singer; just waiting, collecting dust, waiting for me to find it. Someday I'll own one.
__________________
1967 Frejus
1968 Peugeot PX-10
1983 Peter Mooney
1995 Waterford 1200
1996 Waterford 1200
2003 Dahon Speed P8
2013 Rawland Stag
2016 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0
vintagerando is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-18, 03:18 PM
  #2919  
aceves
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Just finished my 1972 Peugeot UO-8 Path Racer.

aceves



Last edited by aceves; 12-10-18 at 03:25 PM.
aceves is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-18, 04:33 PM
  #2920  
jboisleduc
Member
 
jboisleduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Austin, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 25

Bikes: Elvish/B. Carré circa 1970, Shimano Norta Aero 1981, Shimano Aero AX 1981

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Originally Posted by aceves View Post
Just finished my 1972 Peugeot UO-8 Path Racer.

aceves
Good job! you work very well!!
I hope you will wax the chain instead of oil so it stays gold..
jboisleduc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-18, 05:18 PM
  #2921  
aceves
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Originally Posted by jboisleduc View Post
Good job! you work very well!!
I hope you will wax the chain instead of oil so it stays gold..
Will do.

aceves
aceves is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-18, 05:25 PM
  #2922  
Honusms 
Senior Member
 
Honusms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 194

Bikes: More than my husband knows about

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Just finished my 1972 Peugeot UO-8 Path Racer.

aceves



Very spiffy! Well done!!!
Honusms is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-18, 05:32 PM
  #2923  
aceves
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Honusms View Post
Just finished my 1972 Peugeot UO-8 Path Racer.

aceves



Very spiffy! Well done!!!
Thanks Honusms! Had lots of fun with this one!

aceves
aceves is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-18, 02:44 PM
  #2924  
NOLA Sekai 4K 
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Raleigh, NC area
Posts: 2

Bikes: Sekai 4000 (78); Trek 7.3 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My recent find - Gold '73 Gitane Tour de France

Here's a gold Gitane TdF I bought off Craigslist in October. In high school (1973) I rode my first one all over Eastern North Carolina while my friends were riding Schwinns! Talk about follow the leader. So now, 45 years older and 50 lbs heavier, after looking for another TdF on Craigslist for 3 years (sold my first one in college, and regretted it ever since), I'm finally losing weight, getting over saddle sores and remembering why I love this model so much. Didn't know they produced gold ones though until I spotted this one...1973-4 model.

NOLA Sekai 4K is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-18, 05:36 PM
  #2925  
rando_couche
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Originally Posted by jboisleduc View Post
Here is the Elvish bicycle that made me fall in love with cycling. It was given to me from a coworker that had it sitting in his garage. It came from his dad, but he didnt talk to him to anymore, so i was never able to get some piece of history from the previous owner. That bike litterally changed my life... I had been biking to commute in Montreal for years, but that bike was so smooth and fast, i fell in love. Also i have to admit i find her quite pretty.. I started pedaling for fun, loving Montreal's climbs, got in better shape then i had ever been. Biking in the townships on weekends, I discovered i was a natural climber.. I could keep going on that love story but i wont haha! Lets get to more technical stuff


She went through some upgrades along the years. Got her with all Shimano 600 12 speed 1985 groupset, upgraded with dura ace 2x9speed. Frame was streched to fit a larger cassette. Upgraded the original Rigida wheelset to Campy nucleon. It has Campagnolo dropouts. Reynolds 531 tubing. French threaded cranks were retapped by Marinoni to fit standard thread clipless pedals(currently speedplay). BBcups are still french thread Shimano600, but axle was replaced. Unfortunately, i have never found the serial number on this bike, but it feels older than the 85 groupset i got it with.


rando_couche is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service